Big Apple Ben is getting rich $$$$$$$

Say hello!!
shaz

Re: Big Apple Ben is getting rich $$$$$$$

Post by shaz »

@Ben2000s good idea about getting bulk beans. I keep small red beans, split peas, black beans, and black lentils on hand. Each week I make one of the following: red beans and rice, chili, split pea soup, sausage lentil soup, onion lentil soup, tortilla soup, black bean soup. I freeze half and thaw out one frozen portion each week; this gives us 2 choices for easy lunches during the week. Any of those dishes can incorporate a variety of vegetables. I get most of my vegetables from a CSA and never know what I will get.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Here's the original recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup dried black beans (not soaked)
1 1/2 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cup salsa (I used medium chunky)
1 cup frozen corn
1 whole red bell pepper, chopped
1 whole white onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup cilantro (stem and leaves, minced)
Spices and Seasoning
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
Instructions
Add beans, rice and vegetable broth to the instant pot and stir to combine.
Next add the salsa, corn, bell pepper, onion, cilantro and spices BUT DO NOT STIR.
Cover the instant pot and seal the vent. Cook on HP for 26 minutes. When done allow for 10 minutes of NPR, then quickly release any remaining pressure.
Open the pot and give it a good mix. If there is more liquid in the pot than you wish, turn on sauté mode for an additonal 10 minutes. This will eliminate some of the liquid*

Changes
I've since made changes based on preferences. Instead of salsa, I use no salt added tomato sauce. I use water instead of vegetable broth. I omit the salt. I usually add extra vegetables that I have lying around, like carrots, celery, or just more peppers. I've doubled the chili and paprika and have also added the same amount of turmeric. I'll use canned corn, and use the water from the can as part of the water/broth in the recipe.

shaz

Post by shaz »

@grundonatic thanks for sharing the recipe! I'm going to give it a try in my bean rotation.