Let's talk about how to avoid darknetting ERE

Home of groups, cadres, circles, teams, ...
Frita

Re: Let's talk about how to avoid darknetting ERE

Post by Frita »

Ye-ha, it was a pleasant surprise to read up on some shifts with the forum. I came to ERE already FI, did the later before it was a thing and found Jacob’s systemic approach enlightening.

I am an eNTp these days and my E and P fought hard to stick around. People energize me so more community is exciting! I struggle reporting stuff in a journal (because I know what I do and does anyone even care?), don’t quite get the MMG thing (or perhaps my group hasn’t been created yet?), and tend to prefer back and forth exchanges more than long responses (mine, I am cool with others’ styles). I always knew I was a bit out of step but sense the we-ness of ERE2 could actually be a positive development.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Theory vs. Practice

Most fields have a mix of both, with different levels of importance. Stats is nearly all theory, Finance is nearly all practice (any theory can be tested and either supported or refuted) while Physics can have both theory and practice (something like gravity requires both). ERE appears to be more like Finance where any theory can be easily tested. Jacob or someone interested could easily determine the efficacy of ERE theory by estimating each individual's ERE theory ranking and their SWR or similar FIRE estimate. My instinct is that ERE is much like Finance where theories can be entertaining, but practice (Net Worth) is often separate, otherwise theoretical Finance professors would be the richest people in society and presume the best ERE theorists are do not have the lowest SWRs or most robust retirement plans.

I don't see any value is using colors, personality tests, etc, as it does not seem to result in positive and significant changes in anyone's life. Kind of like sitting on a beach, categorizing different kinds of waves (theory) while others are just surfing (practice).

daylen

Post by daylen »

@WFJ If someone were to say there was a positive and significant change in their lives from learning these models, would you believe them?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

daylen wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:46 pm
@WFJ If someone were to say there was a positive and significant change in their lives from learning these models, would you believe them?
What if more than one person raised their hand?

While sceptical at first, they have greatly improved my ability to understand other people/groups I'm communicating or interacting with, even being someone who probably understand 1% of what someone like daylen does.