4th, 5th, 6th Person Perspective

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
chenda

Re: 4th, 5th, 6th Person Perspective

Post by chenda »

Riggerjack wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:42 am
Every building requires maintenance and repair. If that is interupted, the lifespan of the building quickly degrades.
Well of course, hence the need for quality construction, retention and long term maintenance. Buildings can last indefinitely to all intents and purposes.
Riggerjack wrote:
Old buildings refitted for modern energy use patterns will not revert back to their old functions after the energy flow gets interupted. Watch how fast buildings deteriorate when left unused.
Not sure what you mean by this. Retrofitting can work if its done with consideration to the building. A common mistake I see all the time on older buildings (pre circa 1900) is to turn them into hermetically sealed buildings. Retrofitting UPVC double glazing, cement mortar and certain types of loft insultation all trap water moisture in the building causing damp and structural problems. Older buildings were meant to breath and vent out water vapour, which is even more important in an era of long hot showers.

But its the embodied energy which I'm talking amount generated during the construction. I build a tower block of offices back in the 1970s and spunk a load of construction CO2 in the atmosphere. Loads of concrete and steel. In 2023 we don't need the office space anymore, so what do we do ? We either rip it down and build something else and spunk a load more CO2 in the atmosphere. Or we convert it into something else like housing, slashing the CO2 footprint of the new use. Hence considering adaptability for future alternative uses should be an essential requirement for new construction.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Happy holidays, all!

Since I started this thread, I have been trying to confine my thoughts to here. I don't find writing this base level stuff rewarding, and have a hard time trying the break my understanding of the world down to this level. But there are thoughts I am trying to express.

At the same time, many other threads are going on, but the things I am tempted to post, are things I have posted before. I confined my thoughts here, because I'm trying to express something new, and I don't find "new" to be easy.

Yet it would seem that this is still not confined enough for some members. Another thread was created objecting to my efforts, while I was composing the wall of text I posted above.

I didn't participate, but I did have some thoughts. Thoughts I felt would be better placed here.

Ego,

I am curious about your reaction to my thread. I'm not offended. Friends IRL have expressed similar objections. (Quit brainf*cking it, and pick up a tool!). There is a time for thinking, and a time for action. But when there is more than one person involved, both can be done, simultaneously.

And I consider your thread a continuation of views you expressed in the IQ Test thread. I think you have legitimate concerns that don't seem to be resolved.

But I don't feel this “theory or action" dichotomy. I like them both. Though my preference for theory is stronger than is typical.
My hope is that if I am tempted to post a wall of words answering a particular topic, and I have a track-record of failure in that area, then asking myself, "How's that working out for you?", will prompt me to think about it a little harder before hitting submit.
Well, since you ask, absolutely awesome!

I pulled the trigger 8 months ago, and I'm still giddy about it.

I was WFH for 3 years before I pulled the trigger, and I thought the changed environment mostly fixed my issues with w*rk. But now, with the cognitive dissonance of daily work I don't believe in removed; I am content in a way I didn't understand was possible.

I have the folks here to thank for that. So, thank you all!

Ego, you and I are very different people, playing very different games.

You are very into the practice of frugality. And you look good, doing it. You, AH, the animal, and many others here, make frugality look sexy as hell. Good on you. I love seeing the results. I have learned a lot from you, and found a lot of inspiration from your posts. I regret that I couldn't return the favor. I try to help when I see an opportunity, but frugality isn't my game.

The attractive part of ERE for me is the part where people explain their understandings of the world in all their beautiful complexity.

Frugality, by itself, is a way to force creativity. People who choose frugality (voluntarily) are looking for nonstandard paths to nonstandard results.

It's a fascinating filter, and a big part of what makes this place great. Jacob's gym has attracted a crowd long in personal agency, creativity, financial capital, and a somewhat theoretical knowledge of other forms of capital.

This is the value of frugality I recognize. The people who are attracted to/by it. And the plethora of gifts they bring with them.

But making the world a better place by not doing something has a very limited impact.

Opting out is a poor substitute for opting in.

I, being insane, believe that to make the world a better place, one would actually have to make the world a better place.

We don't yet have an opt-in option for making the world a better place. But I'd like one, and I seem to be the only one crazy enough to think about how I could get one.

If you see me doing this, please post a link to this thread as a gentle encouragement to remove my head from my theoretical ass and take a look around at the real world as it is.
You and I live in very different worlds. You live in a prosperous city, I live on 10 wooded acres on an island. I leave my property every few weeks, but my physical reality is mostly a rich, lowland cloud forest. I cut news out of my life 7 years ago. I have logged more hours watching squirrels than people for years now. And I am content.

From here, it's not hard to see every aspect of what you call reality, to be constructed. From the buildings you live in, and the roads you drive on, to the rules of those roads, and the trucks that drive on them, and the economic forces that constrain truck design.

From my career in utility engineering, I see how often your “real world” is reconstructed/altered/maintained.

In short, I don't think you are capable of looking around and seeing the world as it is. That which you call reality, to me seems artificial as stage settings.

I see an interplay of systems that can be hacked at the physical layer, opening entirely new possibilities.

Understanding the metacrisis as a construction that we built, gives insight into options that were not chosen. That which we have built before, could be built again. (We are building all the time, anyway.) With different incentives, different structures, different constraints... (maybe we could build until we grow a whole new metacrisis!)

But then, I'm insane. ;) We have words for people who see things that aren't there.

They've been used. And again, with feeling. Odd, they don't seem to have the intended effect, yet that doesn't seem to blunt the enthusiasm with which they are used.

And yet, still I am here trying to relate what I see, because the world, understood as I understand it, is less surprising than when I used more conventional perspectives. The world of late 2023 as I understand it, seems actionable to the point of being startlingly (perhaps frighteningly) malleable.

The world just makes more sense as a hyperobject. Once one sees the hyperobject, the world as I describe it stops conflicting with the world as others see it. One can predict another's perspective, by extrapolating from what they are describing.

But it's not easy to see such a hyperobject, and believe in a real world, where a brick is just a brick, nothing more... I expect it's hard to believe in a real world, unchanged and unchangable, and see such a hyperobject.

I want new options, I want new actions, and I think I know how they can be created. So I'm going to keep talking about that, until someone is kind enough to point out the flaw I haven't found. Or until I have clarified my muddled thoughts and people start seeing these patterns of exceptions as actionable/profitable, the way I do.

The constraints I have chosen for doing this in a public internet forum without damaging first mover advantage of potential partners, (or the forum itself with the consequeneces of me being right, if I am right...) plus my natural writing talents have made this more difficult than it need be.

But I have tried this before using other mediums. Doing it here, was about me continuing this tedious writing, despite my very low concieniousness score. I tried upthread to move this subject into a different medium. Jacob disagreed. So here we are.

So long as people are willing to engage, I assume these thoughts are of value to them, if only as amusement. I had always assumed I was writing for an audience of 3-5, with occaisional visitors reading some, finding my writing not to their tastes, then moving on. Of those 3-5 people, I've seen no sign that anyone has actually followed the path I laid out.

So you are right, I have a 100% failure rate with my wall of text explanations. But I hadn't considered myself finished starting, yet. I consider this a series of small successes to simply keep trying. If/when patterns start clicking for readers, the rest of the path will be laid out for those who are interested in exploring.

If I lose patience, I'll simply revert to a simpler option. Right now, I'm sketching a moonshot.

You may be surprised at how much we agree on. You have said ERE2 theory distracts from ERE1 practice. I agree with you, it certainly has been for me. My daily life needs some hacking, I still carry around too much fat, I have physical rehab to do on my self and my environment.

But getting these thoughts out of my head and into the world is connected to many parts of my web of goals. There are decisions in my near future that depend on me understanding how difficult my thoughts are to communicate.

This tedious, awkward writing is ERE1 practice. Embrace the suck. :twisted:

Or don't. Life is short.

A little self control seems like it could really help here, and you seem like about the last guy to suffer from lack of self control.

You know my writing isn't to your taste. I know my writing isn't to your taste. And my work isn't likely to improve much, so you may want to wait for a better communicator to give it a try. (If that never happens, and I think this is likely, think of the time and aggravation you could save yourself.)

I just wanted you to know that I understand your preferences, even agree with them to a certain extent. But I'm continueing my wall of text posts. Not out of spite, or with any disrespect intended. The thread you started helped helped me clarify my thoughts, thank you.

But because I consider your efforts and my own to be complimentary, rather than contradictory. Eventually, I hope you will, too.
2) those aspiring to impact the crisis of our time (to the meta level)
Another way to look at group (maybe system) 2 is that if there is ANY small chance of winning, they are pleased, as they are working on the BIGGEST PROBLEM.
This seems accurate. If I were a betting man, I would still bet there's something simple I've missed. I just haven't found it yet.
I just don't see how anything I can do would scale enough or have enough leverage to change the world.
Yeah, there was a time when I would have agreed with you. But I'm 53 years old. The world I live in, is not the world I was born into. The world has absolutely changed in many ways.

Each of those changes were instigated by someone. That someone made their choices based on the options they perceived at the time.

I do not aspire to be the someone who makes the changes. I aspire to the team of people creating new options, and making them available to people who would like to try changes.

Now, retired at 53, I can look back at the long and winding path I took to get here. Service work, Army enlistment, construction work, office work, real estate development, landlording, side hustles. Some of it worked out well, more were mixed results, and some abject failures. Certainly, looking back, I can see how I could have taken different paths that would have ended near where I am, much more certainly and easily than the paths I chose.

But at the time, I did not perceive those paths, or I felt other paths to be more appealing. Are these options I did not exercise merely theoretical? Absolutely. But I see them clearly. If I could reach back in time, I could point them out to myself, and get where I am much easier, possibly even happier.

In the same way, I see a path around the metacrisis. Is it merely theoretical? Absolutely. But will it work in real life? I don't know. There could be some confounding factor I am simply unaware of, but after years of looking for myself, I thought I'd publish them and see if others can find the flaw I could not.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

And even if something I did could get leverage, I am not confident in the ability to make sure the change is in the direction of the good.
This is a really, really hard problem. In the end, I decided to punt. A few times.

The best I could do, as a simple rule: Empower people to compete to create and display their own version of good.

But people's displays oft go awry. So part of empowering people to compete, is empowering them to fail safely.

On one level, create new options, and a safe place/space to test and display them, with corrective measures in place for when they go wrong. Then allow volunteers to try each new option as they are found to be appealing. Ethical brute forcing by empowering volunteers.

At another level, design the metrics of competition, and evolution, for net benefit of participants, and neutrality to nonparticipants.

From there:
Presume society searches a large space of possible strategies. More practical agents tend to stick to tried-and-true paths because they have proven themselves to work. More theoretical agents tend to deviate further from the tried-and-true pathways to do something different. Together, good strategies are preserved, and new strategies are discovered.
And:
As we change the world changes and as the world changes we change. There may exist pockets of agency where some humans need not change or adapt much to a changing environment but typically human influence is diffuse and thus hard to pin down. Presuming we are all sufficiently connected, we all influence each other to influence the whole. Neo-neocortex
In 2023, we are more directly connected to each other than ever before. Success gets replicated. The speed of replication and mutation has changed.

Beyond that, I have to punt, again. ;-)

But I know this guy on the internet, Jacob Lund Fisker. He runs a forum called ERE. Some people think it's about Frugality. Others think it's about Theoretical Bloviation.

But the miracle if ERE is that jacob has created an intellectually safe space for extreme outliers. The people out at the ends of the skinny tails of distribution curves. The people of ERE bring unusual gifts.

In so doing, he has already solved the hardest problem in Sociology: How to start with better people.

My game, ultimately, is to get jacob to expand his scope from things he can coordinate on decades old, off-the-shelf software. And start thinking about the things that EREmites could do together, how that could be facilitated/coordinated.

I've started with that which I can contribute, because the gifts I bring are more unusual than most. I think I understand how a soap factory could be built and operated. Not much beyond that.

In Fight Club, the original Fight Club was a change in the world created by Tyler Durden. It was his coming out party, so to speak. Project Mayhem and Paper Street Soap Factory was the next level of change, where the people who selected themselves from the pool of people already attracted to Fight Club could coordinate.

The scope of change vastly changed, when the sociology problem was filtered out. The storyline of fight club was an exploration of a mod of the game based on the axis of Tyler Durden. First there was the world as it was. Then there was the secret world that Tyler created. And then there was what happens when all the people attracted to this secret world achieve density/critical mass.

Tyler Durden was brilliant, and efficient, and free. But he's no Jacob Lund Fisker.

So I would note that Tyler started more Fight Clubs in other cities, vastly increasing his talent pool, as he started Project Mayhem. But those fight clubs weren't going to generate another Tyler capable of replacing the first. It wasn't even going to generate a Tyler capable of creating more fight clubs, let alone creating more Projects.

I feel like jacob has been addressing those issues since the design of his coming out party. I'm really looking forward to the first real Project.

I see ERE2 as different in scope from ERE the forum. In much the same way, and for the same reasons, as Project Mayhem was different from a fight club. ERE2 will be change in the world along the axis of jacob, rather than a change along the axis of Tyler.

That's the option I would like to opt-in to.

The real world as it is doesn't give a ratatoowey about how you don't understand the real world as it is.
Truth.

I certainly wouldn't want everyone to be as theoretical as me, that would be so boring as where would I get the bulk of my evidence from to generate possible futures or models? Without humans as theoretical as me, math and by extension science and technology would be much slower to progress. Possibly getting stuck in a local minimum that is not globally optimal.
Agreed.

Though I would describe to world today as the local minimum, and the conventional view of the metacrisis is a map of all the ways that paths return to that minimum.

But there are exceptions. Fitting those exceptions together should create new synergies. And if we are acting strategically, exploiting new synergies should reveal more new synergies...

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Well of course, hence the need for quality construction, retention and long term maintenance.
Sure. There is a need. But we have never met that need, even with all the fossil fuels we burn. We rarely even acknowledge this need, and very few are working in any way to fill it. Their efforts are all that got us here, and they aren't enough to get us anywhere else we would like to go.
Buildings can last indefinitely to all intents and purposes.
Not the way we are building today.

You live in the old world, and see old buildings. Cool.

How much fossil fuel energy are those pre-fossil fuel buildings using? Are they cheap and efficient to heat and cool?

As you go about town, how many of the buildings are pre fossil fuel?

What happened to the rest? Did they rot? Did they die by fire? Did they die in a war? Did they die because they weren't pretty enough? Or did they die because they were just in the way?

But yes, the ones that survive all the ways we prematurely end buildings could be maintained indefinitely. But what does that entail?

Roofing needs to be maintained, then torn off and replaced. Exteriors need to be cleaned/painted/replaced. Windows break, etc. In my former urban 1910 rental, some interior details were original. As was some of the framing, and the front door. Exterior siding had been replaced (and was due again when I sold), the roof replaced (and would be due by now), windows replaced, electricity and phone and interior plumbing added. In just over a single century.

Ignoring the repair costs, what is the energy costs to operate the building? Natural gas heat, stove, and dryer. electric for the rest. The first winter without fossil fuels, this house joins the rest of the city that used to have running water...

But if all goes well, and this 1910 home lasts indefinitely into the future, maintenance uninterrupted... how much energy would it use? I mean there's the daily energy, plus the embedded energy in all the replacement parts, and the energy to do the maintenance (often in a building that didn't include such maintenance in the considerations of the design). We are going for indefinitely, so we can skip the energy costs to destruct and remove the building from the lifecycle costs.

If one is comparing the costs of refitting to the costs of new construction, new construction often comes out ahead.

If one is comparing the direct costs of destroying an old building to the direct cost of refitting, as you have done, refitting comes out ahead.

But if one is comparing lifecycle costs to lifecycle costs, reduced depreciation and energy consumption can more than make up for the difference in increased initial embedded energy.

As with any comparison, it matters what is included (valued) in the comparison.

I value a future with reduced fossil fuel energy embedded obligations in our infrastructure. My comparisons are based in that value set.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Riggerjack wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:16 pm
How much fossil fuel energy are those pre-fossil fuel buildings using? Are they cheap and efficient to heat and cool?
Compared to a lot of 20th century construction they are often very efficient (lots of thermal mass) Most of the buildings near me are buildings are 16th - 20th century with a smaller number of mediaeval buildings i.e. mostly from the coal era. The shift from wood to coal gradually led to a mass rebuilding. Nothing from the Roman era has survived above ground.

Almost all buildings, old and new, are heavily reliant on fossil fuels to supply energy. That's largely a grid issue. All buildings, old and new, will require ongoing maintenance and repair. Better construction and design can reduce depreciation, energy use and contribute to long term retention.

A replacement building may in theory offset the embodied energy and higher maintenance costs of an existing building, depending on the comparables. But over what timescales? We need to think in terms of months and years for cutting carbon emissions not decades or centuries. Our infrastructure will continue to have enermous amounts of embodied fossil fuel energy for likely centuries to come.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

We need to think in terms of months and years for cutting carbon emissions not decades or centuries.
I think we can agree to disagree on this. Thinking in terms of only months/years is a key aspect of the metacrisis.

Focusing on short term goals gets us more of the same diminishing returns. We have lots of ways to do this already.

To me, this feels like joining the Klondike gold rush 15 years after the rush was over. Lots of great and inspirational stories about the gold in them thar hills. But all that's left is pickings so thin, everyone else has abandoned them.

Short term successes are ground already thoroughly worked.

If I want different results, and I tried over and over, without changing my efforts or approach, whatever would people say about me? They might think I'm crazy...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. So I will do as I damned well please.

In this case, what pleases me, is focusing on creating a future that doesn't suck.

That ain't happening quick.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Riggerjack wrote:
AH described this with “What the current macro environment makes it feasible to build seemed largely irrelevant to the future I think we’re going to get. Buildings that won’t work well when the grid goes intermittent with enormous embodied carbon emissions. It seemed to me that most of the projects I was working on would be better off just not being built at all.”

This is an easy conclusion to reach, and not one I disagree with. But it doesn't lead to any actionable paths. All that can be done from here is to not participate.

This desire to free oneself from what one perceives as a negative aspect of one's culture is understandable, and commonly used to signal Virtue.
For what it’s worth, I disagree that my statement leads inevitably to a policy of non participation. My takeaway was “This specific career is a dead end *for me*, I ought to back up and try something else.”

In my case I had to back WAY up, all the way to doing major reconstruction at the personal/household scale, in order to become the kind of good ingredient I think I need to be to be useful on the kinds of projects I think will be relevant to the future and that I’m suited for.

That personal scale renovation work can look an awful lot like a policy of non participation, though. And, there exists the danger of just getting lost in the process forever because it’s kind of fun. But long term non participation is not an element of my own life strategy/vision.

I like that your walls of text exist here. I aim to engage a bit more with them soon.

white belt

Post by white belt »

Riggerjack wrote:
Whereas I look at abundant, cheap, DIY friendly energy collection and storage, and think “Why would I limit my energy use? Why not size up the system, and see how the world changes with unlimited heat and hot water? Why wouldn't an ecovillage be built around the efficient collection/distribution/storage of solar energy, the way towns used to be built around a sawmill or mine?”

[...]

The original plan was to go out, and build someplace for my wife, myself and a few friends, by myself, with help from a few friends, and my lovely wife.

I have practiced. My current home is on land I learned to clear. I was the general contractor, and the electrical contractor. I spent my career in construction and engineering. I own the equipment (backhoe, skidsteer, sawmill). My friends have construction experience. My confidence in this level of achievement is high.

But success at this level looks questionable*.

This is the path NAI followed. The path of Mother Earth News. The path of building an example, demonstrating it, publishing it, hoping others will be inspired to follow this blazed path in building their own example.

We've been doing that all my life. It doesn't change anything in time.

I want to go bigger.

When I was in my accumulation phase, I was a landlord. So, it was natural that I would compare the economics of theoretical ecotopian real estate with the urban, suburban, and rural properties I owned at the time.

Those are numbers that still make me smile. I've been staring at this for so long, it's hard to relate to conventional thinking.

I could partner with others, and build an ecovilliage, with the intent of learning to produce/tune/maintain/(sell or lease) ecovilliages. This is just a slight variation on real estate development deals that happen every day.

I could partner with others, and form some kinds of companies to develop the technologies and practices tuned to learning to live well without fossil fuels. The companies that build the ecotopias. The companies that network them. The companies that sell/lease/maintain them.
I stumbled on this thread while using the search function to research something else. A lot of the discussion points seem to tie into to the various ERE City threads.

I picked out some excerpts in the quote above that got me thinking. It does seem like the default path in the permaculture space is not all that different than the back to the land hippies from 50+ years ago. Move to a rural/undeveloped/remote area, build out your self-sustaining eco-paradise, then tell the world about it. Incorporate the help of family, friends, or like-minded volunteers like WWOOFers. Pat yourself on the back for all the solutions you've come up with, if only the rest of the world would see the light and adopt your ways! There is an entire genre on YouTube of people documenting such projects for every step of the way. In fact, you can actually come full circle and see the entire lifecycle of such projects because many of the original back to the landers are now in their 70s and 80s. There are at least dozens of videos online of eco-paradises that are falling into decrepitude in lockstep with their founders/owners (your Mike Oehler video is just one, but fairly representative).*

Seeing the late-stages of these ecotopia projects has me turned off from pursuing such a thing. A lifetime of work, just for it to all fall into disarray as soon as the founder ages (maybe I'm naive to think that anything a human does will leave a lasting legacy?). There is no one to do the tinkering to keep the elaborate systems going for future generations. It seems that most people interested in such a lifestyle want to do it themselves, as you point out, which means they aren't going to take over someone else's life project. Such projects seem siloed and isolated from the rest of the economy and community, which makes them particularly vulnerable to longer term changes, even if in the short term they are less dependent on such things.

So where does that leave me? Like you, I have a little bit of experience with being a landlord ("house hacking" as the millenials call it). I've often thought of how to incorporate that in my vision. I always seem to stumble at the boundary between authority and responsibility. For example, let's say I buy a triplex so DW and I could live in one unit while we rent out the other two. I could try to start some sort of small scale urban/suburban ecotopia as many have done in the past, but the arrangements to me always seem to be a bit precarious. I shrink my tenant pool significantly by requiring them to be ecologically "hardcore". There can be tension when shared visions don't align and although there are entire books about such arrangements and how to navigate them (Holmgren's Retrosuburbia comes to mind as the most comprehensive), even the pros have issues. Most arrangements seem to fall into the same structural problem of requiring that 1-2 people be the "managers/leaders/visionaries" without whom the entire project collapses (so no different than the back to the landers). Think of this as one end of the spectrum.

A more appealing prospect to me is to rent to "normies". This gives my model more resilience because as long as I pick the correct area, there will always be tenants that need a place to live. I feel better about locations that have had populations for hundreds of years and a diversity of economic/cultural capital, so basically the opposite of boomtowns built around one industry. Many houses are over 100 years old and I fully expect people to still occupy similar spaces 100 years from now, even if the structures are knocked down and rebuilt. However, if I just rent to normies, am I really doing anything to address the metacrisis? I could build out projects to increase the efficiency of the housing, but at the end of the day if my tenant wants to set the thermostat to 60 in the summer and take 30 minute hot showers everyday, that's their prerogative (especially if their utilities are separately metered). This is the other end of the spectrum.

So I'm left trying to determine whether it is better to try to partner with like-minded individuals, or try to operate within a system to influence others without the prerequisite that they are like-minded (not mutually exclusive I suppose). The percentage of people who are willing to change their behavior to benefit the environment is relatively small and fixed. Trying to appeal to them can work, but like you say is a slow process and will always run into hard limits. An easy example of this is demonstrated by cycling infrastructure in the Netherlands. In places with a ton of cycling infrastructure, people cycle more than anywhere else in the world. They don't do this because it's good for the environment (even if some might virtue signal that), rather they do it because it's the most convenient, efficient, enjoyable, etc transportation method.

I looked at pictures of the Drake Landing Solar Community and it looks exactly the same as the cookie cutter suburbs that many people like living in (cul-de-sac gives it a look of dreaded car exurbs, but the density looks closer to "hip" streetcar suburbs). That's the kind of solution that can have mass appeal, because it doesn't first start from a position of "sacrifice". Now, how does this translate to my multiplex? I guess I would have to start by doing things that make it seem like an appealing place to live first (nice garden, nice decor, amenities, convenient location, etc etc), which also happen to be good for the environment. Maybe someday, like you pointed out in your discussion about RE development with @AH, that could morph into a scalable prefab multiplex model. Then we're back to making models and hoping others copy them, but I feel a bit better about building such a thing in an urban/suburban area rather than alone in the woods. At the end of the day, you're not going to convince most people to move to woods/rural areas. Or at least that's not my bag so I'll leave it to others to work on.

* = I don't mean to judge these people to harshly, because ultimately it seems like most of them lived purposeful and fulfilling lives.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

white belt wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:01 pm
I picked out some excerpts in the quote above that got me thinking. It does seem like the default path in the permaculture space is not all that different than the back to the land hippies from 50+ years ago. Move to a rural/undeveloped/remote area, build out your self-sustaining eco-paradise, then tell the world about it. Incorporate the help of family, friends, or like-minded volunteers like WWOOFers. Pat yourself on the back for all the solutions you've come up with, if only the rest of the world would see the light and adopt your ways! There is an entire genre on YouTube of people documenting such projects for every step of the way. In fact, you can actually come full circle and see the entire lifecycle of such projects because many of the original back to the landers are now in their 70s and 80s. There are at least dozens of videos online of eco-paradises that are falling into decrepitude in lockstep with their founders/owners (your Mike Oehler video is just one, but fairly representative).*

Seeing the late-stages of these ecotopia projects has me turned off from pursuing such a thing. A lifetime of work, just for it to all fall into disarray as soon as the founder ages (maybe I'm naive to think that anything a human does will leave a lasting legacy?). There is no one to do the tinkering to keep the elaborate systems going for future generations. It seems that most people interested in such a lifestyle want to do it themselves, as you point out, which means they aren't going to take over someone else's life project. Such projects seem siloed and isolated from the rest of the economy and community, which makes them particularly vulnerable to longer term changes, even if in the short term they are less dependent on such things.
This line of thought used to depress or more precisely make me feel uninspired about my academic research. What's the point of working here when my papers eventually end up in a dusty journal in the basement. Then I realized that my actual job was really serving as cheap TA labor carrying part of the university culture. The whole research thing was with the rare exception or the rare exceptional individual the equivalent of working out in a gym. I suppose it's the same for the military. You spend all this time training but what if there's never a war or a need to deter one? The point is to carry the/a culture so it doesn't have to be invented from scratch if it is forgotten. I think these ecotopias can be seen in the same way. It's not about the building. It's about the idea that someone can build such a place and that alternatives exist. It's essentially carrying on an idea.

Of course, if they're truly siloed and nobody else ever hears about them, they are kinda pointless outside the silo. But enough happens that these ideas are not forgotten.
white belt wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:01 pm
So I'm left trying to determine whether it is better to try to partner with like-minded individuals, or try to operate within a system to influence others without the prerequisite that they are like-minded (not mutually exclusive I suppose). The percentage of people who are willing to change their behavior to benefit the environment is relatively small and fixed. Trying to appeal to them can work, but like you say is a slow process and will always run into hard limits. An easy example of this is demonstrated by cycling infrastructure in the Netherlands. In places with a ton of cycling infrastructure, people cycle more than anywhere else in the world. They don't do this because it's good for the environment (even if some might virtue signal that), rather they do it because it's the most convenient, efficient, enjoyable, etc transportation method.
It's been noted that back to the land hippies really don't behave very differently than rural preppers in terms of WHAT they do. They also tend to have a lot in common in terms of HOW they do it. However, they strongly disagree with each other on WHY they do it to the point where theu mutually and empathically disavow each other. This is kinda stupid in my opinion.

I think the key is to focus on WHAT people do and leave the whys up to themselves. People go to the gym for what is usually 1 out of 3 different reasons: to look good, to get healthier, or to get stronger. Guess what, they get the other two for free even if they only care about one of them. It's the same with ERE. People get resilience even if they only care about early retirement.

I discussed more about this in the Stoa2 talk. A solid design includes failure-modes to catch people when they downgrade the WHAT because they have different opinions on the WHY. This might be tricky to do with an actual house because people have very idiosyncratic ideas about WHAT they want in a home. Consider how often people redecorate tearing down perfectly functional rooms or re-landscaping the outdoors. (My previous neighbor spent weeks constructing a curb-appeal garden bed when he was getting ready to sell the house. I figure about $500 worth of plants if not more. It took less than a month before the new owners had torn it all out.)

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

jacob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:43 am
The point is to carry the/a culture so it doesn't have to be invented from scratch if it is forgotten. I think these ecotopias can be seen in the same way. It's not about the building. It's about the idea that someone can build such a place and that alternatives exist. It's essentially carrying on an idea.
I just wanted to +1 this, and add that everything I've done for the past decade plus and certainly everything I'm doing now has been motivated by/rooted in what I'm starting to call existential exuberance: the sublime joy of grokking that everything rots and nothing matters and so everything matters.a

Also, as someone who has lived out in the woods for most of his life, with 5+ year stints in both a walkable/bikeable small town (San Luis Obispo) and a city (SF/Bay Area): yes, moving out to the sticks to 'homestead' is, strategically speaking, insane. I don't recommend it and I could write volumes on why almost no one should do it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

A reading recommendation along these lines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides (1949) (H/T @jp and @gtoo for this one). For those who are interested in more, George Stewart also wrote a novel called Storm (1941)(*), which is a fictional novel from the perspective of the storm itself. Also "Not as rich as you think" (1968) which just goes to illustrate the cyclical point being made.

(*) Somewhat credited with creating the concept of giving names to hurricanes. Ann, Bob, Carl, etc.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Sorry about the long pause. I allowed my temper to flare, then I broke protocols, and as a result, I'm dealing with Covid.

4 years Covid-free, down the tubes. Mrs Riggerjack is... thoroughly unthrilled. :(

Chenda,

Would it be fair to say that you have placed brackets around the concept of a building, so you can judge more accurately a renovated building vs a replaced building? This seems a highly concientious methodology.

But outside the brackets, there's a lot of factors that seem to be missing. Buildings may last indefinitely when properly maintained. But how much else needs to be true, for this to be true?

If you look at these buildings around you, the 16th through 19th century buildings that could last forever, look at where they are built.

Wasn't that a wetland drained for building sites? Pasture land probably within 100 Year floodplain of your river, back when your rivers ran wild.

Levees were raised, canals cut, dams placed, and the river was no longer wild.

But what happens when sea level changes, and all of those means of taming the river suddenly get to be much too energy intensive to maintain?

What happens when you're Levee isn't quite up to the task?

How often will your investment be zeroed out?

This is a critical thing to understand in choosing an investment. But few of us give any kind of thought to this, because we buy our infrastructure in pre-packaged formats.

We change formats by buying a different package (moving), or by voting for an addendum to the package.

But just because you aren't thinking about it, doesn't mean you weren't making an infrastructure decision. Tax bill, home payment, rent payment, toll, fee, fare, whatever you call it, it is still an investment decision.

But now that you are thinking about it, if you were to make these infrastructure decisions a la carte, what would you choose?

Would you choose to be powered by coal or uranium?

Would you choose to draw your drinking water from sources others are using as a sewer?

Would you choose to live below a dam?

Would you choose to live so completely seperated from nature? So far from the sources of your food?

Would you choose to live so close to people who did make these choices? Would you choose to wait for 51% of them to prioritize correcting any of these decisions?

That seems to me like a huge sacrifice, for minimal, very temporary gain, to me.

I think the reason you and I come to different conclusions, is you value the factors inside your brackets. And I have mentally discounted the value inside the brackets by all the factors outside the brackets.

But as each of us is speculating on future values, I admit you could be right.

My own choices would be solar power, clean water, bicycle trails, gardens and greenhouses, living in a forest, with neighbors who chose the same for themselves. I would choose to live in an eco-skunkworks, populated by people who aren't just interested in building an eco-villiage for themselves, but as an exercise in learning to create eco-villiages.

…..

Outside those brackets, if one looks at the costs of refurbishment of an existing building we'll find that the same physical structure varies in cost considerably depending on where it is. As we move into high cost of living cities we find that infrastructure costs are mainly network costs.

For instance, in New York City, one will pay a higher cost per square foot than any place else in the nation for construction. This isn't because the quality of construction in New York City is higher than it is elsewhere. It's that labor costs more, materials cost more, coordination and permission cost far more. What one is actually buying in a high cost of living city when one purchases infrastructure is the value of being connected to the local, fully developed networks.

To the extent that one has good access these networks, and these networks fulfill one's needs, it makes sense to continue to invest in these networks.

But if what one wants is something different from what the networks provide, starting in a place where these networks are not established, means that one can freely remake rules and create new networks.

If my concern was:
If I wanted to set up a steam engine generator to charge a battery bank with bio gas, can I do so without interference? What if I want a hen house?
then the most important resource I would need, is neighbors who also want the freedom to set up similar systems (followed by some kind of safety check, because pressure vessels sometimes explode :shock: ). As the ERE city thread shows, such a place does not exist. If I want such a place to exist, I have to create it.

To the extent that one is underserved by these expensive Networks, one can be displaced by others who have better access to these Networks. This is generally expressed as gentrification.

Gentrification can be understood as a force. One can resist this force by banding together with locals and trying to resist the invaders with more money, or one can harness this force by owning infrastructure in places that are appreciating.

One can understand gentrification as a place where the cycle of depreciation / renewal meets a cycle of immigration, meets a cycle of international capital flows.

Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a book 2140 which examines these Cycles in a lightweight novel format, if you're interested.

Understanding gentrification as a stage of interaction of cycles then gives one the ability to be strategic in how one harnesses the forces involved. This understanding gives insight into when to engage, and when to disengage. When to buy, when to sell.

…..

Outside those brackets is an assumed Network availability that makes the investment in a building worthwhile. But the metacrisis is an understanding of all of the ways that those networks lead to failure.

I spelled out Adam's perspective give you a simple tool for assessing the outside of your brackets in a thousand year lifespan.

The fact that your buildings have been there for a few centuries means less if one is aware of how much change is already baked into our future. Buildings were built in places that were originally unsuitable for such buildings. Rivers had to be channeled to dry up that land. Rivers needed to be dammed, and at this point your main river needs a seawall, just to reduce flooding.

Take a look at a terrain map. Look at maps of 100 year floodplains. Now raise that floodpain 30 ft. What are your “indefinate buildings” standing in now?

When the wind blows, buildings with wet foundations act differently depending on what soils they're in. If they're in Bedrock and there's a SF miracle substance you get Manhattan in K.S.R's 2140.
https://storiesforearth.com/2022/01/03/ ... -robinson/
If they're in fill, or drained soils, you get Brooklyn in 2140. It doesn't matter how solid the foundation is, or what strength your framing has, when the wind blows, and one's footing is in mud, one's building is going to fail in ways that can't be repaired easily, if at all. That has nothing with how long the building could have been maintained indefinitely had external circumstances remained the same.

Climate change shows the change is already baked in. The metacrisis shows the diminishing returns baked into the potential responses to this change. How much of that change is going to destroy the networks you are depending on for the value to remain in your infrastructure?

It's very hard to find buildings that predate the 20th century in Washington State. Most of our old buildings are from 1901 to 1910. There was lots of development here at that time, and some of it hasn't burnt or rotted away, yet.

But if you look at a satellite image of Washington State, one can't help but notice a grid pattern in the rural areas. This is commercial timber stands being harvested and replanted. This is the infrastructure that I would change.

Commercial timber stands are planted, allowed to grow until harvested, depending on the goals of the landowner. If one wishes to grow clear straight lumber, stands planted in a commercial harvesting operation is about as efficient way to do that as it's possible to do.

But a commercial tree stand of Douglas Fir has about the same relationship to a forest, as a cornfield does to a meadow. If I want to create a forest from Douglas Fir stand, there would have to be some thinning, clearing out areas for other species grow and turning that mono crop of Douglas Fir into a richer and more robust forest.

If I were being strategic, buying pre-harvest timberland and with a small team of people form a non-profit organization dedicated to turning timberland from industrial wholesale input production, to varied retail uses. A private camping club seems a good start to that process.

A club that brings together backpack style campers with enthusiasts who would like to try building alternative buildings. People who would choose to build with the intent of minimizing external resource importation. Heated by the sun, cooled by the Earth, powered by by solar cells and solar collectors and other forms of alternative power. High speed fiber optic internet, because that's kind of necessary everywhere now, and cheaply available.

To accomplish this, I would need people invest to financial, labor, and intellectual capital in a piece of industrial tree cropland. People invest most easily where they have means of monitoring/liquidating that investment.

A club based on love of camping, and alternative building. Intent on creating great camping, and designing, building, testing, and documenting integrated systems. With the intent to eventually write the code for alt systems, available for adoption elsewhere. There is already a large overlap in these groups of people.

This club can sell memberships to people who intend to drive from the city, park their car in a place that isn't going to get broken into, and have a hiking/camping “leave no trace” experience.

There is already existing demand to this product. When I was young, I could go to Lake Ozzette, out on the coast, and when I was down on the beach, see one other camper on a holiday weekend. Miles of sandy beach, all to myself. One could go up any logging road and camp at any of the logging benches. The logging roads are gated off, now, and Ozette was hip deep in campers last time I was there. Boondocking is still possible, but cars left at trailheads are subject to meth-head taxes.

Simply providing a place where someone could reserve a parking and camping place behind a gate has value, today.

The financing can be arranged by secured bonds. The agency issuing the bonds would arrange for bond to be collateralized by an asset so that at the end of the bond term, the bondholder either holds the cashed out value of the bond, or owns a physical asset.

The labor can be compensated with similar bonds.

This is going to make a new kind of securitized investment vehicle. One where one can choose to invest in the change one wants to see in this world. And either gets the change and their money back, or or just the change, and ownership of same.

Since these bonds are directly tied to assets, when there is a default, bankruptcy isn't necessary.

After the start of membership sales, we can begin to design improvements. Clusters of campsites could get bathrooms, with integrated waste water treatment. Solar charging stations, wifi, timber framed pavilions, cabins, or whatever other improvements are chosen.

New memberships can be sold to match the new spaces.

But the people who are onsite, creating these improvements, need infrastructure of their own. They need cabins, etc for themselves. They need shops and work spaces, gardens and storage spaces... in short, they need the means to build for themselves.

Building a wood mill/shop seems an efficient way to begin turning trees into retail products.

Building garden/greenhouses to provide fresh foods to residents and campers.

Building cabins provides potential rental income.

Eventually, one ends up with a small on-site community of “staff”. People who are living in the woods, in integrated infrastructure. People who have experience designing, building, and maintaining that infrastructure. People who have had several iterations to improve their designs. People who have worked together, and separately, developed the means to coordinate efforts, and the means to resolve differences.

Additionally, there is demonstrable examples of working integrated infrastructure. One could walk from cluster to cluster and see the iterative improvements.

When thinking of applying what has been learned here in new, possibly larger projects, we have the means of capitalization, organization, a skilled and experienced work force. We have an off-site membership to draw from to fill new teams, for new projects.

We have a membership of campers coming out to use the facilities we built. We have a customer base to fund a market garden. The best kind of customer base, one that provides its own transportation. Develop that market at the same time as the market garden.

When we want to demonstrate our accomplishments, we can do it by renting any of the cabins that is available. When we build out the next phase, or a new project, we do so on a foundation built for the purpose.

Maybe the next project is an artist's colony, or a high end health spa, or a retirement community. Any of these is easier to sell with a demonstration.

…...........
Since we're still asking rhetorical questions, do you see how most people resist almost all change because they need to fit it within the framework of their current system which is usually some variation of "need to pay the bills, spouse not interested, don't want to look weird, the children still deserves a normal life, need to do it as a community, happy to follow but not to lead,... right down to ideological concerns and refusing to move before some pet peeve is solved first"?

This is why it is necessary to fit [the transition to] the new environment into the existing framework lest we create yet another talking fest where everybody agrees what a great idea something is and not much else ever happens
What I understand, is that outliers following any standard Lifepath (TM), depending on Serendipity to fill in where Strategy would have been appropriate, live lives of disappointment and frustration. It's all over the journals, here.

Square pegs are dissatisfied with round holes. My culture has no interest in creating square holes. This signals opportunity without competition, to me.

I believe happiness is strongly correlated to actualization. To the ability to create a predictable change in one's life. The more one's desires diverge from the outputs of the systems one interacts with, the less satisfaction one can wring from those systems.

Consider how much of the camping club above requires work done on-site, and equally important, how much work doesn't need to be on-site.

It seems both counterproductive, and pointlessly cruel to deny outliers the satisfaction of participating in change creation, merely because they have followed standardized paths, and thus have acquired standardized obligations.

With a camping club, they can participate from a distance. Then come out for a weekend, if they so choose. If they can relieve themselves of their obligations, perhaps they can come play full time. There are many potential stages one could occupy between distant supporter, weekend camper, and full time resident, sponsor of an expanded project...

With such a radically different environment, being able to choose and vary the level of one's involvement becomes far more important. Both to those on-site, and those off-site.

The last thing I want to live with, is a neighbor who feels trapped.

For what it’s worth, I disagree that my statement leads inevitably to a policy of non participation.
My apologies for my sloppy writing. Edited.

A lot of the discussion points seem to tie into to the various ERE City threads.
Yes, I participated in them. To me, they stand as a 20+ page testament to how even a forum full of people dedicated to practical means of self actualization is still so bafflingly passive in the way they perceive the world around them. :?:
An easy example of this is demonstrated by cycling infrastructure in the Netherlands. In places with a ton of cycling infrastructure, people cycle more than anywhere else in the world. They don't do this because it's good for the environment (even if some might virtue signal that), rather they do it because it's the most convenient, efficient, enjoyable, etc transportation method.
I've heard this pointed out many times. Odd that the Netherlands in general, and Copenhagen in particular, are notoriously flat never seems to get mentioned.
Think of this as one end of the spectrum.
This is the other end of the spectrum.
What a fine metaphor. Let me abuse it a bit. You have described the full visual spectrum, and I don't disagree (much) with any of what you wrote. But as with a real spectrum, the interesting/fun/useful parts are outside of your described full range.

At the end of the day, you're not going to convince most people to move to woods/rural areas.
I wonder, how much changes when you stop focusing on mass appeal? My culture is all over this, why would you choose to compete in such a saturated market?

Why try to change anyone's mind? If someone doesn't already want to do the work you want to do, why would you want to work with them?

There are 8 billion of us, if you eliminate all but 1 in a million, you are down to a pool of over 8,000; probably still too many. With this thought in mind, maybe reread your post.
yes, moving out to the sticks to 'homestead' is, strategically speaking, insane.
I agree, don't try it. But I would say that homesteading is extremely visible within my culture, as WB described, above.
the sublime joy of grokking that everything rots and nothing matters and so everything matters
Beautifully put.

Small quibble, not everything rots. Since you have interest in earth sheltered housing, maybe it would be worth reading some archeology papers on what factors make a site more or less intact for excavation. Those same factors will apply to your projects.
Then I realized that my actual job was really serving as cheap TA labor carrying part of the university culture.
It's essentially carrying on an idea.
It's 2024. Surely, you think of cheaper/more effective means to do this?

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Riggerjack - I am not sure what you mean tbh. What do you mean by placing brackets around buildings ?

Climate change, and other factors, is leading to shifts in migration and settlement patterns. Some urban areas will likely be abandoned, others will grow. This is not a new phenomena, but is unprecedented on its likely speed and scale. I don't see a contradiction between reusing existing buildings and building better elsewhere. I see it as complimentary. Reducing carbon emissions through working with existing infrastructure will reduce the severity and rate of climate change. Another interesting case study: viewtopic.php?p=263922#p263922

Most of my town is 50 - 100+ metres above sea level. The original Roman part of the town slopes steeply down towards the Eastgate and river valley, prior to which people lived on a nearby hill fort. There is often some seasonal flooding, but most of the flood water is well contained in a wide expanse of water meadows. Most of the modern parts of the town lie to the north and west away from the river valley. I'm not therefore too worried about flooding for the foreseeable future. If I were in The Fens it may be more of a concern.

Why do you want to encourage people to move to the woods ? There are good reasons why Manhattan has a lot more people than Whidbey Island. The vision of development you are promoting sounds very car dependant and devoid of economic opportunity. The ERE city thread generated some interesting and worthwhile discussion, but frankly I think its a unworkable idea. It would be better methinks if ERE types were dispersed and leading by example, missionary style. Moreover, people with the means and ability will naturally migrate to more optimal areas. People will vote with their feet. The flatness of the Netherlands is often noted. Whats not noted enough is that it was a very car centric nation until the 1980s. Manhattan is also very flat, it could be as bike friendly as Amsterdam (maybe it now is ??)

Jakarta, for example, is rapidly sinking due to rising sea levels and depletion of groundwater. Its home to 10 million people. The government has decided to build a new capital from scratch in Borneo, Brasilia style. How much this is political vanity project vs a sensible mitigation strategy I will leave for Indonesians to judge. But even if the government press releases prove to be correct and the new capital becomes a thriving sustainable metropolis, there are meanwhile 10 million people in Jakarta, many of whom lack access to clean drinking water, sanitation, housing and clean air. Most of these problems are either caused or exacerbated by poor urban planning and resource management. Car centric development, illegal extraction of groundwater, lack of porous surfaces causing flooding and not refilling the groundwater, underenforced legislation etc. Fixing these problems, or at least mitigating them, seems to me to be essential.

tldr - Cities are not problems, they are solutions which can and should be optimised.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

What do you mean by placing brackets around buildings ?
I mean what you did here:
Another interesting case study: viewtopic.php?p=263922#p263922
and here:
I build a tower block of offices back in the 1970s and spunk a load of construction CO2 in the atmosphere. Loads of concrete and steel. In 2023 we don't need the office space anymore, so what do we do ? We either rip it down and build something else and spunk a load more CO2 in the atmosphere. Or we convert it into something else like housing, slashing the CO2 footprint of the new use.
and here:
Green in the sense reusing an existing building rather than demolishing and replacing is usually environmentally better. The embodied energy in the building is retained, the splurge of greenhouse gases on the new build is avoided.
Removing the building from its context. This is an excellent technique for creating an apple to apple comparison.

But I am trying to talk about land use, at the level of forest to orchard comparison. My only concern with apples is how often they go bad, and the expense we put into old, sickly orchards.

We seem to be talking past each other. You seem concerned by existing buildings, I am talking about the context the building exists within.
The vision of development you are promoting sounds very car dependant and devoid of economic opportunity.
Really? How odd. How much local economic opportunity does one need in retirement? I expect that with all the available resources, the generalist locals will generate exactly the economic activity they want, and no more. Under the circumstances they want.

I am very much looking forward to the markets they create for themselves.

As for car dependent, I expect people to be coming to and from the campground nearly every day. This seems like a very lightweight coordination problem.

My culture solves coordination problems with Leader/follower solutions, and scales those solutions with coalitional frameworks. They had thousands of years to develop this knowledge set.

But in an information age, peer to peer solutions are possible. In the very, very few ways we have tried them, peer to peer has been transformative in my culture.

I expect a group of independent generalists to be capable of creating solutions for themselves.

I don't expect those solutions to be Leader/follower, in the same way I don't expect them to build skyscrapers. If the standard cultural package works for them, we already have cities, WTF would they move out to the woods?

I expect the few people who choose this opportunity for themselves, to be interested in creating a new cultural package for themselves. The campground is just a laboratory for trying out those new solutions.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@jacob,

Any thoughts, so far?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Riggerjack - If I understand you correctly, you're proposing a kind of camp site/RV park that functions as a test lab/school? (We talked about something very similar for the ERE RV Park back in 2012 or so, also the ERE Survival School or something to that effect)

The problem (challenge?) with such a centralized approach is that it requires finding that one person who is willing to start and relentlessly drive the project until it has enough momentum to sustain itself. You're basically looking for a person who is an entrepreneur, promoter, community organizer, and host rolled into one. That someone also needs to be willing and capable of working for free and engage in an uphill battle for a long time to realize such a project. Are you that person?

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I think if you build something that is cool, it will attract people. The hardest part of shit like this is: 1) attracting the right people and 2) managing inevitable conflicts because you're shirking the rules of conventional society that "most people" "mostly" understand.

It's a problem as old as orgies. How do you get the right people, who will participate, who are not going to manipulate or sexually assault people?

Also, @AH is basically doing this in the desert in California.

@mF has some stuff happening in the mountains in California (not really sure it's going to be an ERE community, but at least an outpost).

I am interested in doing this in New Orleans. What holds me back is:

1) I don't have the skills
2) I need to be willing to lose 100% of my investment bc of climate change or figure out how to adapt in a city that will likely be totally wiped out (what comes to mind is make something easily moveable or that floats). I don't know how to do either of these things.
3) I am working on other shit and I can't devote 100% of my time to this, which it sort of feels like it needs.

I do have time and money to devote to these things, just not enough of either to pull it off with what I know how to do. If someone helped me solve these problems, I would be willing to start asap.

I don't think this is an attractive offer or expect anyone to want to help me with these stipulations, but it's what I've got right now.

For what I want to do, I also don't need any ERE people to show up. A few months ago I was ranting and raving about "ERE adjacent" people bc I think we will need them to build a community of even like 5 people. If I could attract 5 of "the right people" they wouldn't have to be ERE. I'm not sure that's true for @jacob or some of the rest of y'all though.

I would also guess I'm not going to do anything for 10-15 years.

I also might come help someone set something up and I would also join someone else's community if my goldilocks conditions were met (so far everyone is too rural) or I might be a part-time member of someone's community.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

jng I think you would dig Hakim Bey's Temporary Autonomous Zone (TAZ) idea. tldr he is an anarchist who wrote about letting go of the idea of 'permanent' utopias/revolutions/bases/etc in favor of a dynamic insurrectionary spirit that is cool with holding and letting go, building and rotting, rising and falling, occupying and moving, etc.

Bonus: He wrote the book on actual Pirate Utopias, in particular the pirate state of Rabat-Sale in N Africa.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Beautiful, I'm reading it now while trapped at work.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Riggerjack wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:43 am
If the standard cultural package works for them, we already have cities, WTF would they move out to the woods?
My point exactly. What would your proposed campsite offer which can't already be found or created more easily in existing infrastructure, where the embodied energy can be preserved ? How would it be meaningflee outside 'the brackets' any more than the existing RV park down the road ?

Short term meetups as others have arranged are doubtless worthwhile.