Fee free HSA account recommendations

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
RealPerson

Fee free HSA account recommendations

Post by RealPerson »

For years I maintained an individual Health Savings Account (HSA) free of any fees at TD Ameritrade. This was possible through a small credit union that only required a one time small fee to partake. Alas this credit union discontinued their agreement with TD Ameritrade, requiring me to liquidate all my positions. That credit union is now connected to a small brokerage firm that will start charging monthly HSA custodial fees. Therefore I am now looking for a new HSA custodian that will not charge any fees. If you know of any such custodian, I would appreciate hearing about the details. My funds are currently deposited in my cash HSA account at this credit union but I need to open a new account soon! I imagine many US based forum members have the same situation.

theanimal

Re: Fee free HSA account recommendations

Post by theanimal »

Fidelity has 0 fees and no investment minimum.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Thanks! I will check this out right away.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

Another strong vote from me for Fidelity's HSA. Reasons:

- There are no fees (other than expense ratios that are inherent to mutual funds or ETFs)
- There is no minimum amount you have to hold (non-invested) as cash. (I'm currently imagining myself flipping the bird to "PayFlex" right now.)
- It's like a regular brokerage account where you can invest in pretty much anything you want.
- If you take a distribution/withdrawal, Fidelity doesn't require you justify it with receipts. (Although you'll need to keep your own records, in case the IRS ever audits you.)