Bike Lock?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Scott 2

Bike Lock?

Post by Scott 2 »

Any bike lock recommendations? Looking towards using my bike as a vehicle, I need one. Suburban riding. Typically locking for an hour or two at places like the gym, library, grocery store, park district, etc. Rides around 10-15 miles, possibly including a mile long uphill. I'm hoping for bike racks, but don't expect I'll find them everywhere.

I like the weight and security combination of this U lock. It's also the wirecutter recommendation. I'm a little concerned about finding a post that fits the U lock everywhere:

Kryptonite Evolution 11-14mm U-Lock with FlexFrame-U Bracket
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-2079- ... 06XZT8KZ1/

I like the security and flexibility of this chain lock. The weight gives me pause though - 10lbs! I think carrying that might get old fast.

Kryptonite Evolution 1016 Mini 10mm Chain Bicycle Lock
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Evolu ... 007EW31R6/

I see $10 wire locks on OfferUp. But from what I understand, they can be snipped in a couple seconds.

Jean

Re: Bike Lock?

Post by Jean »

i use a foldable lock.
Its flexible, not too heavy, but expensive.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

The chain lock looks like it's no match for bolt cutters -- a few months ago I cut a friend's chain with them. (She had lost the key. Honest.) The U-lock is probably a little better.

Those locks cost about what my bike cost, btw. You're generally OK in nice suburbs, but if this were some place like Chicago I say just get a bike you don't mind losing and price in replacing it every year or two.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Yeah don't bother with wire locks. RIP bike #1.

Even small ulocks can be used to lock to the oddest of racks, if you get creative. Protip: sidle your bike up to a post. Thread the unlock through the rear tire rim, *in the middle of the rear triangle*, and then around the post. Rear wheel and frame are secured with one lock. You have to do something else for front wheel... Non-quick release is usually enough depending on your hood, during daylight hours anyways.

I once left a bike like this in the middle of downtown Oakland all weekend. I was, uh, unavoidably detained, you might say. It was still there when I got back. Couldn't believe it.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:31 pm
Protip: sidle your bike up to a post. Thread the unlock through the rear tire rim, *in the middle of the rear triangle*, and then around the post. Rear wheel and frame are secured with one lock. You have to do something else for front wheel...
I carried two Kryptonites in Chicago. One to lock the back wheel to the frame, one to lock the front wheel and frame to the post. These would've been like $25 locks for a $300 bike back in the late 90s/early 00s. I was not the only one who did this.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

I used a Kryptonite U-Lock when I was commuting in the city and never had an issue; can't say that is an endorsement, necessarily, I probably just got lucky that no one ever had a bolt cutter at an opportune time.

A benefit of (a) living in a city where sticking a bunch of bike racks in front of your commercial establishment is some sort of virtue-signaling act, and (b) very few people actually riding a bike for anything other than MAMIL "cycling" purposes, is that I never had a problem being able to lock the bike up on the side of a rack, as opposed to the middle--it's MUCH easier to secure a bike frame and one of the tires with a u-lock to the side of your typical schoolyard type bike rack than it is in the middle.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

General advice is U-lock to secure the frame to a post (or rear wheel) AND a chain or wire that threads through the U-lock to secure the wheels. Cost of locks = 1/2 value of the bike. But this also depends on the likelihood of getting the bike stolen. Supermarket, gym, or library with people around = low. Bus station over night = high. People with fancy bikes don't leave the bike outside but park it in their office/cubicle.

A sawzall can cut through a wire in about 10 seconds. Hence, the importance of only parking in places where there are always people around.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

I ride a lot but never leave/lock it for errands. That is going to change when I move in a few weeks. Like unemployable, I have 2 ulocks, one for the back wheel, one for the front wheel/frame/post. I've been watching the local cycling social media and people claim to have a bike stolen with a ulock in 15 minutes while in a store. Fingers crossed I will be doing my errands at times and locations that are unsatisfactory to bike thieves.

While I could definitely afford to replace it if stolen, I think it is more of the feeling of violation that bothers me.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I mean if you can cut one Kryptonite you can cut two. The context where it helps is when other bikes nearby are less secure. Same way you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your hiking partner. Also, I had single wheels stolen, which was why I went with two locks in the first place.
jacob wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:15 pm
General advice is U-lock to secure the frame to a post (or rear wheel) AND a chain or wire that threads through the U-lock to secure the wheels.
Nicest bike I ever had was stolen locked up that way.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Can you put a tracking device on it ? Although if it's anything like mobile phones the police probably won't be interested in recovery.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

I use an OnGuard u lock and my wife uses a cable, though she doesn't ride much. I typically don't lock up my tires even though the front is quick release. I just try to lock it in an area with high visibility, and don't leave it out for more than a couple hours. Often it is only 10-20 minutes for a quick stop at the bank, grocery store, etc... We've never had any problems, but we both have old mountain bikes. Based on conversations with my coworkers who cycle a lot, it seems like the local bike thieves tend to target higher end road bikes in my area.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

+1 for two ulocks. This was our setup in the city. Getting your front wheel stolen is basically the same level of pain in the ass as the entire bike if you are commuting (not expense obviously). Battery powered angle grinders are all the rage for bike thieves now. Cutting through two Ulocks is less likely to go quickly if you have them locked in tight areas that makes a cutting tool more challenging. Basically I just accepted that if an experienced thief wanted my bike, they were going to get it. The casual thief is less likely to cut two Ulocks. I would look at some youtube videos of how to lock effectively to deter cutting.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I have an Abus Bordo for locking in safe places where there is lots of foot traffic.

Not long ago I bought a 5' New York Fahgettaboudit Chain with a Super Sesamee padlock for dangerous places. The chain is long and has a large O ring at the end so I can loop it around frame and both wheels. Nearly impossible to cut quickly with an angle grinder. Both are swap meet finds. I would not pay retail for these as they are absurdly expensive.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Just wanted to clarify the rear triangle ulock thing in case it got missed. You don't have to pass the ulock through the frame to secure the frame: just pass it through the rear wheel rim inside the rear triangle. This secures both the rear wheel and the frame, and you can accomplish it with a smaller (cheaper, lighter) lock. Here's an explanation.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I ordered the U-lock. Thanks all. This seems like a reasonable starting point. I've got about $300 into the bike, so losing it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The more I'm paying attention, there are bike racks the places I might want to go. They just may not be in front of my destination. Example - one plaza has a gym and a grocery store. There's a rack in front of the grocery store. Which also has higher foot traffic, so is probably the better place to lock up anyways. The 10lb chain lock is unnecessary.

@AxelHeyst - I'll keep the rear triangle locking tip in mind.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

@Ego that sesame lock is a toy. Don’t count on it for anything you want to keep.

https://youtu.be/TMOnYYUI6Xo

These tools have obsoleted the old U-locks. Make sure you don’t use an old one with a tubular cylinder.

Basically stay away from any second hand lock. Anything old has been hacked long ago.

And as mentioned above the tool of choice these days is the cordless 4 1/2” disk grinder. There is no bike lock made that can withstand that.

The new tungsten carbide Diablo Sawzall blades are also pretty impressive. I’m not sure how well they do against hardened lock hasps but I’ve seen them cut softer rebars like they were made of wood. Ironically we were trying to fab a catalytic converter guard for my friend’s car. We were cutting up the bars with the very tool the thieves are using to steal the converters. At a certain point we realized rebar wasn’t a good deterrent.

Buy a good lock. Make your city bike ugly with a rust primer paint job.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

In a documentary "Bill Cunninghan: New York" about Bill Cunninghan, an alternative-lifestyle influential fashion photographer, Bill said that he was on his 28th (IIRC) bike at this point. He bikes around Manhattan every day and takes pictures of people. Despite locks and following good practices, they just get stolen every now and then. Since he's been doing that for about 50 years, the number of stolen bikes got really big. He doesn't seem to be fazed by it.
Last edited by zbigi on Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Living in the big city drives home the existence of negative Wheaton levels, where one's wealth acquisition strategy involves directly impeding others' pursuit of it. It's not just something out of Oliver Twist.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sclass wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:52 pm
@Ego that sesame lock is a toy. Don’t count on it for anything you want to keep.

https://youtu.be/TMOnYYUI6Xo
Wow. Good to know. Thank you. I am always on the lookout for one of those Abus Granit locks to use with the chain but have not found them yet.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

A good vintage lock commonly found used is the American Series 700. It’s a lot cheaper than the Abus Granit yet offers good security. I’ve seen them picked on YouTube but it requires skills beyond amateur lock pickers. Biggest vulnerability is the disk cutter or drilling the hardened cylinder retaining nut with a carbide bit. You’ll need a big bolt cutter to cut the hasp or a hydraulic cutter.

Speaking of which a PM brought a disk cutter resistant lock to my attention. Hiplok D1000. It’s hasp is armored by a u channel made of a tungsten carbide/steel composite. On YouTube it is VERY resistant to cordless disk grinder attacks. It’s extremely expensive but it looks like one of the few locks that stands a chance against an abrasive disk grinder attack with cheap corundum wheels. What they didn’t try in the videos is using a Diamond grinding wheel on the cordless grinder. I think it may not resist Diamond as well as it resists alumina abrasive. The special steel is manufactured by a company who provides wear resistant plates to reinforce plow blades and shovel teeth on heavy equipment. I’d use this if I needed to lock my bike at a Manhattan subway station. It looks stupid heavy though.