Carpet cleaning

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
chenda

Carpet cleaning

Post by chenda »

A large amount of green fairy liquid (washing up liquid) has ended up on my nice pale blue rug. Don't ask how it got there.

I've tried regular cleaning products and I'm still left with a unpleasant green stain. Anyone have any ideas how to remove it?

Ego

Re: Carpet cleaning

Post by Ego »

Is it attached to the floor or is it a rollable rug? What materials is it made from?

chenda

Post by chenda »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:33 am
Is it attached to the floor or is it a rollable rug? What materials is it made from?
It's a rollable rug. It's a kind of matted rug, thin densely stranded lines forming a Persian rug style pattern.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Wool? Cotton? Nylon?

It will probably involve taking it outside and spraying the entire thing with a hose several times to get the soap out.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:52 am
Wool? Cotton? Nylon?

It will probably involve taking it outside and spraying the entire thing with a hose several times to get the soap out.
Wool I think. Let's give it ago...

Ego

Post by Ego »

Every so often I get an old Oriental wool rug that is dirty. I have done this twice, but rather than use a floor buffer I scrubbed it by hand. A power sprayer can work wonders.

https://youtu.be/eZtGTZpFYU4

chenda

Post by chenda »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:58 am
Every so often I get an old Oriental wool rug that is dirty. I have done this twice, but rather than use a floor buffer I scrubbed it by hand. A power sprayer can work wonders.

https://youtu.be/eZtGTZpFYU4
That's brilliant thanks Ego.

It seems to be working. I'm using a water spray for plants and it's giving it some force. Shall I leave it to dry flat or weight it down ? The stain itself caused some 'buckaling' of the rug.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I rolled mine and squeezed the water out, then hung it to dry in the basement with fans blowing on it. That is probably not the correct method because I bike past a company that specializes in cleaning antique carpets and they have a large concrete pad where they leave the carpets to dry face down. They eventually hang them inside their shop. My method probably stretched them a bit.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:25 am
I rolled mine and squeezed the water out,
Brilliant the stain has almost gone amazed how simple and effective that was. I really thought the rug was ruined. I might give it another go later.

Thanks so much Ego, please have a beer on me this evening :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hah! I am happy it seems to be working.