ffj's Early Retirement (round 2)

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: ffj's Early Retirement (round 2)

Post by theanimal »

Thanks for sharing the photos. I always enjoy reading your posts. I was going to mention the same thing as @mathiverse. In the past, I went through a similar process when I was applying to government jobs (both state and federal). On the job posting, those positions would usually have the name and phone number of the contact number of the hiring manager. Like @mathiverse said, introducing yourself and maybe asking the hiring process goes a long way. Some of those positions take it too far, as I’ve heard from others that if you don’t do that, they won’t even think of offering you an interview.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@animal

I've been looking through a site called Indeed. I still remember the days of old of buying a Sunday newspaper and looking at the classified ads, ha! Those days seem like forever ago.

I don't apply for anything unless I know I'm qualified for the job. And I have had two of the applications rejected and it would be good to know why. These are not high caliber jobs for the record. It's possible when they see my college graduation date as before they were even born it might be scaring them off, which is kind of a weird position to be in to be honest.*

Before I adopted my dog from the shelter they made us fill out a questionnaire with all of these flowery and leading questions. I am a fairly blunt person so it was irritating just reading them because this is simple: I agree to take the dog, feed and shelter him, and give him plenty of attention. And pay a fee of course. Why do I have to answer a question on my parenting skills? Thank god my daughter was with me and offered to fill out the 3 pages of questions. She said: I speak their language, let me do it. Gladly. Point is, maybe I need to learn to speak a new language.

* When I was inquiring about the electrical program at our local community college the admissions person was a young lady about 26 years old. There was an obvious difference in speaking styles and approach to the topics at hand. She was very nice and professional, but after twenty minutes or so she started getting on my nerves with the inflections of her voice. Sooooo has replaced like, haha. Maybe I am the problem. :)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Great to see the pictures with your posts.

Job applications are a weird thing. Often a high caliber person simply has less experience with the process, and so gets passed over for a much less qualified applicant. From what I've seen here, that's most likely the problem. I'm sure whoever figures out what you offer, will be very happy.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Any Germans here? Is this true? Because if it is true I need to learn this phrase. God knows I needed it last weekend when I finally just gave my buddy a look that said "you gotta go". Most of you know exactly the immense feeling of relief when you get to shut the door and return to silence. It's glorious.

Building more fence. This time replacing the horrible fencing at the back of my property. How and why my neighbors cattle just don't walk through what is there is beyond me. It is really bad. I have waited for months for help with this with lots of promises of shared work but I'm done waiting. Just going to do it myself. And you know what? I'm about done setting posts. All by hand. It reminds me how long it can take wanting to do something easily with the right tool (in this case a tractor) when if you just do it immediately with a less then perfect tooling (hand diggers) it gets finished. I should have taken the initiative with this months ago.

While I was working the other day I kept hearing a mother cow bawling so I checked out what the fuss was about:

This is a newborn calf just hours old and quite frankly it was about another hour away from death. Little guy had hypothermia and could barely keep his head above the water. So I jumped in the creek and carried him to the bank but momma cow was not happy with me holding her baby.

Every time I tried to get the calf away from the sloped bank she would try to head butt me so I called the neighbor and told him to come and get this cow away from me so for the next thirty minutes we played a game of baby trying to stand up, baby falling back towards the creek, momma moving even closer each time baby fell until I was basically standing in the water holding back the calf while momma blocked me. At least I got some good pictures. And the neighbor appreciated me saving his livestock.

@Scott

Glad you enjoy the photos. You are the motivation for this posting actually. I'm not much of a wordsmith like some of you on the forum so I compensate with pictures. Oh and I've been rejected on these last two applications. It's weird, I can go out self-employed and make good money on various home projects for people but I can't land a job that pays $18/hour working for a company. Something's off.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Even though I don't comment much, I also enjoy the photos, catless as they are :lol:

Der Leiermann

Post by Der Leiermann »

I grew up in a German speaking country and I’ve never heard that expression about feeling visited enough. Maybe a northern German expression, they’d have sayings I’m not familiar with.

Great update and photos!

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ertyu

We still have the old guy:

You couldn't pry this dude out of our homestead with a shovel. He adopted us about 6 years ago and he is shameless. When he showed up he was about half this weight and half his hair was missing, and he had a broken rib which you can still feel. All he dreams about is sitting on your lap and purring until he falls asleep.

@Der

I knew it was too good to be true, haha. That would be too easy, wouldn't it? :)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

:D he is excellent
old age goals :)

ffj

Post by ffj »

ertyu, this photo is for you. When I passed this barn and saw all of these cats I had to stop and take a photo. And some of them ran away before I could take the picture! A true herd of cats, ha!

Life has been crazy busy, as it always is this time of year. It's amazing that during the winter one has to actively search for something to do but as soon as the sun reappears and the temperatures get warmer suddenly there aren't enough hours of the day. But I finished my fence:

It was such a joy to cut out all of the old, nasty, broken fencing that this new fence replaced. And I didn't lose one cow! Now my neighbor has offered to pay half of the cost of materials which is a good deal for him as he didn't do any of the work but he seems to have forgotten me. But I still have faith he'll come through as he is a decent guy, just extremely busy as I have been. I would like the money only to buy a roto-tiller as my old one has broken down, but I managed to get my garden and my nitrogen rich cover crop (mainly clover) turned over with a tiller loaned to me from another neighbor. I really am blessed with great neighbors and it is such a contrast to my old place.

While I was working the garden I dug up my seed storage of acorns and planted those. I also had other varieties in the refrigerator for their cold stratification that I planted. I am especially excited about my persimmon seeds. I hiked a lot of miles to collect those seeds.

And I burned several brush piles, not that I had time for it but the conditions were perfect and you have to burn when Mother Nature decides it is a good time. And it is an all day affair once you start because you have to continuously push the pile in on itself as it burns. I take pride in having nothing left but ashes.

I've pretty much given up on the whole Indeed job hunting site. I have applied for seven different jobs and have not received one invitation to meet with anybody, just an informal e-mail response that says "we are proceeding without you". I am clearly too old or am not playing the game correctly but it doesn't matter as I am working regardless. I got a call a week ago asking for help to finish a house under construction and that is what I've been up to this past week. It's mainly finish work such as hanging cabinets and installing trim. I also built this porch:

I am pretty adverse to just spending money for the sake of spending money but with these jobs mainly paying cash I have to do something with it that I would consider being an investment. Now I could put this money in a traditional investment vehicle such as an IRA or the like but I decided to buy some tools and one of them is this battery operated track saw:

Oh my goodness it makes me want to throw away all of my corded tools. Overall, I invested about $2000 in new battery operated tools and I can't see ever using anything else unless I have no other choice. What a game changer. It makes doing these jobs so much easier.

ffj

Post by ffj »

My daily drive to work for the past two weeks. This place has no phone or internet connectivity and it is one of the quietest places I've ever been for this part of the world. You don't even hear airplanes except on a rare occasion. I just read iDaves posts and he mentions turkey's doing their Springtime romantics and this place is no exception: you can see Tom's displaying their stuff on the open hillsides as you drive past.

I've been doing lots of detailed work to this house with the expectation that the builder was going to come back to work and take back over. It's a long story on why he isn't here at the moment, with some truly unfortunate circumstances. But I met with him yesterday and he basically said he was done and I could finish up all of the work. Wait a minute, I thought, this is your job and I'm helping you. I didn't sign on to be working every day for the next month or to take over.

Mind you, what work is left is highly detailed, such as installing the finished stairs, hanging very expensive doors, and trimming finish grade baseboards (not paint grade) as well as a host of other responsibilities. His original agreement was to finish the job (no written contract) but he has basically told the homeowner that he is moving on to other jobs. I feel like I've been snookered here and if the homebuilder hadn't just experienced some calamities in his life I would be truly pissed as I agreed to work for him partly as a gesture of kindness.

But I like the work and I like the homeowner so I will continue on and it pays well. But this experience has been eye-opening and I feel like I am being used as a bit of a chump to be honest. I've considered the home-builder a friend for several years now and I just feel this is disrespectful behavior on his part.

The other wrinkle is that I need a helper occasionally. Now he has been lending this young Mennonite kid to help me which has been nice once I straightened him out (whole other story) but he's indicating he needs him on other jobs ( the ones he's not abandoning). Now the homeowner is kinda handy so he can help at times but if I get left without any help I'm going to blow my top, haha. This is precision work and an extra set of hands simply to hold things if nothing else is important. We'll see what shakes out.

O.K., enough ranting. Life is good otherwise. I continue to maintain my weight loss even though my food choices have been less than ideal since I've gone back to work. It's really hard to cook, actually prepping to cook ( having materials on hand, etc.) when you've been gone all day. Much easier to buy something prepared and use that time to clean-up and relax instead of cooking. I need to work on that area of my life or I will lose any gains I have made so far, which has been around a twenty pound weight loss since December.

I continue to work in the blackberry patch also, prepping the canes for a July harvest. The owner of the vines has given me total control and profit over them. His exact words when I inquired about them were "fuck those blackberries, I'd just soon mow them down!". :lol: So I've opted to concentrate on the blackberries which sold extremely well last year in lieu of the mushrooms. The profit margin is so much better for the blackberries. Right now I am trellising the canes to the supports and cleaning out the old stalks. Then mowing between the rows. It's a lot of work simply because he has neglected them but once this is done I simply wait until July to pick them.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'd missed your last update. Your fence looks really good. That was a good sized brush pile! Besides waiting for the right conditions, what do you do in terms of contingency planning in case things get out of hand? Considering it's spring, I figure the ground is fairly saturated. But in the extreme instance. by the (limited) look of where you are, you seem like you're close to your property's edge and I have to imagine far from any utilities like water/hoses?

Thanks for sharing as always. You live in a beautiful corner of the world.

delay

Post by delay »

Thanks for the picture! A real life "ford" on a car road. I've only seen those on mountain bike tracks. Reading about other's struggles with weight is always interesting! Good to read you've maintained the 20 pound weight loss.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@the animal

Thanks. I'm pleased with the fence if nothing more than I got to remove the old crap that was there. Much cleaner look now without damaging my trees.

I have the advantage of having spent 28 years in the fire service so I know how fire behaves, so I'm not afraid to push the boundaries. Wind and low moisture content are by far your biggest threats when burning outside. High fuel content nearby would be my next concern. Even though it looks like in the picture I have exposures, it's just low grass and leaves for the most part. So even if it "got away" a little bit, I could easily put it out.

Speaking of which, since I don't have access to water where I burn, I carry 3 "water cans", which are pressurized fire extinguishers filled with simple water under pressure. I can shoot a stream of water twenty feet with it. Each can holds 2.5 gallons. I also carry a garden rake for smothering out leaves and grass. I use fire all of the time on my place as it works so well.

This is a beautiful corner of the world. The first week of May will take your breath away it is so pretty.

@delay

I've been a fatty most of my adult life. I can still perform, it's not that bad, but I definitely have carried excess weight for many years. It all comes down to eating habits, nothing more as I am quite active. I used to joke: I don't drink, do drugs, gamble, or chase whores, can I at least have a Snicker bar? But sadly, even my Snicker bar days are coming to a close.

There is definitely a trade-off in trying to maintain an ideal weight as it can become all-consuming chasing those last ten pounds. I don't know whether it is worth it to be honest. Food rings that bell for me.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

ffj wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:48 am
A true herd of cats, ha!
I counted 9. Excellent catting! Thank you for thinking of me :D. Now to read the rest of the updates.
I don't drink, do drugs, gamble, or chase whores, can I at least have a Snicker bar?
Heh, I hear ya. It is also one of my greatest struggles in life that virtuous behavior in other areas of life doesn't magically make refined sugar good for you :lol: