Another Brick in the Wall (Part One)

Where are you and where are you going?
candide

Re: Another Brick in the Wall (Part One)

Post by candide »

avalok wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:40 pm
This is either an exaggeration or a typo, right? Chrome the browser wasn't released until 2008.
Typo. I meant 2012.

As to reading stuff from Gutenberg, my major was English, so I have some familiarity with how people used to write, but really that familiarity got deeper through teaching (the same passage 2-4 times a day, and then spaced at intervals of a year).

With that said, I can also find some old books to suffer from being either too dense with references I don't understand and/or too boring to continue.

To each their own. Once I finish my current reads -- Jane Eyre and Typee -- on the chromebook, I'll be hitting the public library again for non-fiction.

candide

Post by candide »

FU (But Not FI) time
================

So as not to bury the lead, I have put in my resignation from my school district, effective at the end of the school year.

There is some possibility of me accepting a bureaucratic and/or support role in a different school district next year, if such an opportunity were available, so maybe there can be some hope of calling a future journal thread Another Brick in the Wall (Part Two), but I'm not sure that title is justified if I am filling out tickets on what is wrong with computers or working as an "Innovative Learning Coach" [1] rather than being at the front line of grinding down the spirits of children with oh so evil assignments and consequences for things they have done.

As my wife and I both agree that I would be happier playing house daddy with our daughter a little more verbal, plan A is for me to find full time employment and we pay for childcare... My wife found a job as a elementary school librarian, and the increase in pay (from her previous job as classroom teacher) should be at least her part of the daycare cost. And in many, many ways being a two-income family will make my life so much easier, even if I am not going to be ascending to WL 6 any time soon.

Experiment: Text-Only Internet
========================

I have been on a hiatus from the forum for over a month as part of an experiment in avoiding using a regular web browser at home, but instead the text-only Lynx browser. I like this because it keeps me totally in command line, which in turn allows me to do everything with keyboard commands, a workflow I really enjoy.

I don't have a lot to say about the experiment right now, other than it made my browsing quicker and then... just done. This pushed me to look toward physical books when I wanted to learn for pleasure, and eventually I wasn't logging on to my computer most days at all, or only doing so to add to my journaling and note-taking files (using the program Nano so I can do the word processing in the terminal).

No plans currently to go back to Lynx only, but it will be something to keep in mind if I ever get sick of my information diet again.

Farewell Dvorak
============

Knowing that I am leaving my career as a teacher, the odds of working on other people's computers, in one form or another, has gone up. So, after eight years of use, I have given up the Dvorak keyboard layout.

It took me a solid two months of intense effort to learn Dvorak those years ago -- the kind of project summers off made possible -- but I am happy to report that it took no where near as long to get back to qwerty.

=========

[1] I hope that Innovative Learning Coach sounds like a bullshit job title, because it should. But it is very common for schools to have one, at least in my metropolitan area.

avalok

Post by avalok »

Good to hear from you again, and with an exciting update to boot! Best of luck with the job hunt.

Whenever I have experimented with text-only browsers, I have always struggled because of the large number of websites that now require JavaScript to run (thanks SPAs). That, and the fact that many websites have awful layouts without a tonne of CSS on top. You've given me mind to have another go though. Did you come across many sites that were unusable? Did you have to defer things until you had a standard browser again?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I rather admire teachers who are masters of classroom management, while fully recognizing that I will never be one of them. I think I just don't care enough about the drama of human relationships. I am much happier as a tutor, focused on how can I get these particular concepts loaded into these particular minds. Still, 16 hours/week definitely maxes out time I prefer to spend tutoring.

Anyway, I agree that there is enough variety in the field of education to keep things interesting if you move around.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

avalok wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:42 am
Whenever I have experimented with text-only browsers, I have always struggled because of the large number of websites that now require JavaScript to run (thanks SPAs). That, and the fact that many websites have awful layouts without a tonne of CSS on top. You've given me mind to have another go though. Did you come across many sites that were unusable? Did you have to defer things until you had a standard browser again?
I tried looking at the ERE forum using the dillo browser. The result was ... not great. IIRC, the forum uses the prosilver theme that is the default of phpBB. I'd be willing to trying non-default themes if they run well on simplified browsers. If anyone know any, lmk.

A classic: https://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

brow.sh is supposed to be nice. It's basicly a text based interface to a headless mozilla firefox.

Otherwise, links2 has limited javascript support when started with the -g option. Not enough thought to get past the captchas that many sites will throw at you when browsing using a very uncommon user agent string.

candide

Post by candide »

I think I'll respond in reverse order ...

@loutfard
Those look like cool projects, and save on bandwidth, and thus (someones) money, and ultimately electricity. One thing I like about Lynx is that it supports the gopher protocol, which is a source for some of the text-only content I find good. More on that below.

@jacob
Please don't feel like you have to change the theme or interface on my account. I don't know if anyone else here is even experimenting with these browsers, and the gain to that group seems like it would be outweighed by the annoyance it could cause to so many more users.

@w7
Ah, the classroom and its management -- what I have done with 14 years of my life. (That *does* sound depressing). The managing becomes on-the-spot muscle memory, and basically has to get to that spot to have mastered it, as thinking is both too slow and too exhausting for real life. But until that space of No-Thought is reached, you are dealing with the drama and frictions of human life.

Also, I have a class that shows this by being the exception: Reading for Stupid Assholes (it's called something else on the schedule, I believe). It is the last hour of the day, with the lowest grade level (and thus lowest attention span at the school), after another hour of "Explo" such as P.E. or music, or a blow off class ran by a Social Studies teacher. That I get anything done in there is seen (correctly) as a real achievement, but it is one of design, not the Management through -insert words from Eastern Philosophy - and it shows to me by me seeing all sorts of things I don't want to ... yes, the drama of "human" relationships, with people whom I share no values with at all.

@avalok
avalok wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:42 am
To the two questions, 1) I don't find the number of sites that I should be using according to my values completely unusable to be that high. Some sites straight up will inform you that they will not work with the browser, some sites just don't have anything, but with many sites you just have to get used to hitting the space bar 3 to 5 times to get below the crude at top. While this does not spark joy, I just tell myself that there are often times I have to wait for something to load, or get one of those pop ups, and so spending a little effort here probably isn't slower.

2) Certainly some things were deferred. Examples include posting to this forum, investments, YouTube, Spotify (I have a large amount of music locally backed up, and I play it and internet radio in command line using sox).

There is no way this could be someone's internet every day. But if you want to play, here are sites that work well:

http://wiby.me/

Pretends to be a search engine. What it really does is collect lite webpages. I'd just hit the "surprise me" and have an old-school surfing (not FEEDING) experience.

http://www.frogfind.com/

What I use for search when I am just using Lynx. It is a crude-stripping wrapper around duckduckgo

https://portal.mozz.us/gemini/warmedal.se/~antenna/

The https rendering of the main hub for the Gemini protocol. Sometimes they actually communicate about things other than Gemini itself.

https://theconversation.com/us/

Academics writing creative commons articles trying to create discourse among the educated public. What is this, the twentieth century?

The rest are in Gopher protocol (and thankfully they virtually never communicate about the protocol itself).

gopher://hngopher.com/
Hacker News port
gopher://gopherpedia.com
gopherpedia -- Wiki port
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/7/groundhog/us/zipcode
Weather<
gopher://gopher.club/1/phlogs/
SDF... Where I hang out and post and stuff.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Hey Candide,

If you haven't met before, meet Offpunk. Seems to be right up your alley.

Offpunk - https://tildegit.org/ploum/offpunk

A command-line and offline-first smolnet browser/feed reader for Gemini, Gopher, Spartan and Web by Ploum.

The goal of Offpunk is to be able to synchronise your content once (a day, a week, a month) and then browse/organise it while staying disconnected.

Official project page (repository/mailing lists) : https://sr.ht/~lioploum/offpunk/

candide

Post by candide »

I've been following Ploum on the smolnet (term for Gemini and Gopher for those who are unfamiliar) for a while.

Do you also have a handle for the smolnet? DM me on this forum, or email me with my handle at sdf.org if you don't want to share that with our whole collective.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

candide wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:25 am
@jacob
Please don't feel like you have to change the theme or interface on my account. I don't know if anyone else here is even experimenting with these browsers, and the gain to that group seems like it would be outweighed by the annoyance it could cause to so many more users.
Those who experiment with these things/actively keep web1.0 alive tend to be more interesting people. I don't mind sacrificing a few "lolololmao emoji emoji all lower-case"-type smartphone-only users in the process.

However, I think the downside of these things is the tendency to talk about the protocols/process/format that make it possible rather than just using the format. For example, I don't want to talk about HAM radio with people who are into HAM radio. I want to use HAM radio to talk about other things with the kind of people who are into HAM radio.

FWIW, I intend to make the ERE1 part of the site both forwards and backwards compatible, but as far as the next evolution goes---insofar it happens---I want to the format to get a bit more selective again.

avalok

Post by avalok »

I'm browsing the forum now with EWW and it's generally fine. The notification panel doesn't display well, taking up a lot of the top of the page, but the threads themselves are really quite tidy and readable. Posting is difficult, especially if you want to quote someone, as it seems to rely on JavaScript. I presume that is not a theming issue, and a "feature" of phpBB.
jacob wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:15 am
However, I think the downside of these things is the tendency to talk about the protocols/process/format that make it possible rather than just using the format.
This happens with esoteric programming languages also. There's a tendency to demonstrate ad infinitum how problems can be better solved with the language's constructs, but then very few examples of the language being using to solve live problems.

@candide these links are really helpful, especially FrogFind, thanks!

EDIT: it doesn't rely on JavaScript, there may be some rendering issue in EWW instead.