Alternatives to Padded Cycling Shorts

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
canoe

Alternatives to Padded Cycling Shorts

Post by canoe »

I've been cycling a lot with co-workers lately, and we're planning on doing a ~140 km ride in August.

They said I should get some padded cycling shorts, and soreness after some long rides has convinced me that they're right (at least for a 100+ km ride).

However, the shorts at my local bike shops are minimum $75. Not worth it since I don't intend to do very long rides too often.

Has anyone tried any cheaper forms of padding? I was thinking of taping some folded socks to the inside of my current shorts.

mooretrees

Re: Alternatives to Padded Cycling Shorts

Post by mooretrees »

Have you looked at a thrift store for used padded shorts?

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Seirra.com is another option if more trees idea doesn’t yield a winner soon enough

shaz

Post by shaz »

You should be able to get padded underwear that you wear under your regular shorts for under $25. Try a Google search for padded bike short liners or padded underwear. Also try asking at your local bike shop if they know anyone who wants to sell used shorts. Sometimes the employees have pairs they wouldn't mind selling.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

canoe wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:06 pm
However, the shorts at my local bike shops are minimum $75. Not worth it since I don't intend to do very long rides too often. Has anyone tried any cheaper forms of padding? I was thinking of taping some folded socks to the inside of my current shorts.
Go online. You can find a liner (padded underwear) or some cheap shorts online for $20-30. In the US, nashbar.com was/is the walmart(*) of bike gear.

(*) I mean that as a compliment. I used to buy from nashbar and niagara cycle. The latter apparently went bankrupt?!

In terms of ride length, ... if you like to go fast, I think it's worth it, also for shorter ranges. I went from 16mph to 19mph average with three upgrades each worth one +1mph w/o extra effort. 1) Bike shorts, 2) Clipless pedals, 3) Better technique (e.g. a primer on how to actually pedal with clipless).

If not, you could always suffer through it. Bring an extra pair of underwear along and change to a dry pair.

Don't do the socks!! That will be a story for the ages, like "that one time we put a big rock in Bob's backpack and he hiked it all the way up the mountain without realizing it".

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Niagara cycles and pricepoint both used to be very cheap and went out of business. Nashbar has closeout bike shorts for cheap. A friend swears by Moosejaw for gear deals. REI outlet also has deals sometimes. Amazon but really look at what you are getting.

I bought some $20 bike shorts from pricepoint and the seams (not sewn flat because they were cheap) chafed horribly for about the first 10 rides. I almost threw them away. Not worth the low price.

I don't think I'd buy used cycling shorts. Even if you don't think it is gross the part you are looking for, the padding, will be worn depending on use. The compression from the stretchy material might also might be used up.

Also consider chamois butt'r type products and make sure your saddle is suitable for you and the bike is adjusted properly for your body like the saddle and the bars. Read up on "sit bones." Don't assume a more padded or wider saddle is better.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I have 2 pair of "Santic Cycling Shorts Padded for Men" from amazon (nearly 7000 reviews). I commuted 1000's of miles in them in various weather conditions and now wear them for long gravel rides or downhill MTB. They have held up extremely well for $29 (purchased in 2018). Hand wash. Buy a size up.

canoe

Post by canoe »

Thanks everyone! I ended up finding a bib on Facebook Marketplace.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:18 am
...make sure your saddle is suitable for you and the bike is adjusted properly for your body like the saddle and the bars. Read up on "sit bones." Don't assume a more padded or wider saddle is better.
Do this. Those sit bones are going to hurt no matter what, but when things are done right it minimizes the pain to "everything else". Find the right saddle and it will move with you from bike to bike. If we lived in ERE city, I imagine there would be a "saddle box" you could raid. Bibs are nice, hope you like the ones you got.

canoe

Post by canoe »

Just went for a 100km ride. The padding helped a lot! Barely feel anything.