Which countries are the most resilient in the years to come?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Roark

Re: Which countries are the most resilient in the years to come?

Post by Roark »

Whatever country that is too small and mismanaged to enable a surveillance state on your every move, financial transactions, conversations. Or at least, it's good to have a second residence or passport from one as a backup. I'm personally looking at the process for Paraguay.

Also, with self driving cars coming (as well as increased remote work and cheaper solar PV with batteries), you'll want some place that allows you to do what you wish with your rural land.

If you have children, you may want to find a place that doesn't force you to put them in a time-wasting indoctrination camp for mediocre slaves. Having multiple residencies and living in two or more locations may allow you to get around the the mandatory state indoctrination camps for children.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Roark wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:59 pm
Those kind of countries come with a lot of other costs. Crime, corruption, instability, inequality, environmental problems...you name it, Paraguay has it.

avalok

Post by avalok »

I have been considering emigration prospects for the past few months. I am a UK citizen and Canada seemed like an obvious choice: low population density, net food exporter, stable democracy etc. However, it lags behind the UK on various indices, often placing it as more or equally at risk from climate change and food insecurity. This is not consistently the case, for example the Fragile States Index.

These indices do not seem to consider exposure risks to the UK, such as the combination of it being geographically isolated, heavily populated, and a net importer of food and energy. I would expect considerations of these would negatively impact UK scores.

I am, however, wondering whether I just have "the grass is greener" syndrome. There is an uncomfortable dissonance between the indices data and my perceived risk.

-----
In my research, I have also found the Ecological Threat Report, which I hope is useful for others.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

There is also Dalio's Country Power Index.

chenda

Post by chenda »

avalok wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:42 am
I have been considering emigration prospects for the past few months. I am a UK citizen and Canada seemed like an obvious choice: low population density, net food exporter, stable democracy etc. However, it lags behind the UK on various indices, often placing it as more or equally at risk from climate change and food insecurity. This is not consistently the case, for example the Fragile States Index.
I would view the rankings with a large pinch of salt. Australia is often ranked highly, yet its probably the most vulnerable country in the developed world to climate change. And its economy is so dependant on exporting raw materials to China, which account for something like two thirds of its economic activity.

FWIW I think Canada is a very good choice. There has been renewed talk recently of having an EU-style union between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, where citizens could move and work freely between them, which would be ruddy marvellous.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

chenda wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:01 am
There has been renewed talk recently of having an EU-style union between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, where citizens could move and work freely between them, which would be ruddy marvellous.
Oh wow such a union would be quite something. @chenda would you mind sharing some sources about it?

@avalok, whilst there still is no freedom of movement, would you be considering taking a skilled professional route to move to Canada?

chenda

Post by chenda »

guitarplayer wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:18 am
Oh wow such a union would be quite something. @chenda would you mind sharing some sources about it?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANZUK

It should be noted that this idea goes back to the 1840s in various forms, where the 'settler colonies' would unite as one giant country. Tbh I don't think it could ever get to an EU level of integration, but some kind of freer movement of labour between the countries is plausible (this already exists between Australia and New Zealand) The legal and constitutional systems are almost identical.

avalok

Post by avalok »

chenda wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:01 am
I would view the rankings with a large pinch of salt. Australia is often ranked highly, yet its probably the most vulnerable country in the developed world to climate change.
Yeah, I'm not one for blindly trusting statistics, but these indices can be useful. I don't have the knowledge to properly critique these studies myself: I can disagree with them, think they're missing something, but I'm not confident in my ability to do so.

CANZUK would be great if it came off, but in a deglobalizing world, I won't hold out. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

@guitarplayer that seems the only route I can take at present. I have no family ties, but my software dev skills give me an avenue. It seems the two pathways I have are either a temporary work permit, with the intention to then become a permanent resident after, or Express Entry which would give me permanent residency upon approval. The benefit with the former is that it is much cheaper and less committed: I could more easily go back on the idea. However, from what I have read, most of the Canadian job market operates through networking, so I would need an entry contact to make a start even searching; something I am lacking. Thankfully, moving would be likely a couple of years away.