Kumasan's journal 1M5Y

Where are you and where are you going?
kumasan

Kumasan's journal 1M5Y

Post by kumasan »

Hello world!

Today is 6/6/2027. You are not crazy! Obviously, I am writing from a time machine device.
The reason I'm writing this is to tell in the next 5 years how I made 1M in the last 5 years! Confusing eh?
It all started with this very post I wrote 5 years ago in a really bonnie forum - ERE.

A bit weird to go for 1M in ERE, but I'll tell you what. I lived in the past with little (5000 - 7200 euros per year), and reducing expenses was never much of a problem. The problem I always had with FI was to boost my income and the resilience to keep working! And it's not that I didn't have qualifications of sort, which at the time was just making me lose confidence and be ashamed of how my life was going, at least professionally speaking. More of that later. So I put that goal of 1M partly because I needed to absolutely change myself with that challenge, and partly because I would probably have enough to cover any want I could have after 5 years, even though 300k would be enough to FI.

So I started that journal for accountability purposes.
That first day I signed a 90-day contract to start with mini changes that I have never had long term stick with before. The purpose was to free unproductive time, to become more focused, and to get more energy. I remember my extended family always telling me when I was quite young that I looked tired all the time. Not nice!

Contract copy:
Hereby, I, aka Kumasan, shall abide for the next 90 days to the following rules:
1) Meditate every day
2) Workout every day - at least two (stretching, walking or something aerobic, strength training)
3) Food - sweets only if you or Mrs. Kumasan homemade it or in socially situations where it would be awkward to refuse it
4) Self reflection every day
5) Eliminate distractions: sign in to personal email only when an email needs to be sended, phone with wellbeing function activate (social media max 15 min. browser max 5 min, email max 5 min). Block news website from laptop/tablet.

If no rule is broken, add 1 money unit into the pig bank
If one rule is broken, add 0.5 money unit into the pig bank
If more than one rule is broken, remove 10 money units from the pig bank. If it gets to negative after 90 days, the money is giving to either someone who wrong me or to a political candidate I absolutely despise. Any non essential stuff (like that second hand Le Creuset pan you want, but not necessarily need it) can only be purchased with pig bank money.

Signature Kumasan
6/6/2022

And that was it! The beginning of the journey. I didn't have any grand master plan yet on how to make those 1000000, just that commitment and the support of an amazing community.

candide

Re: Kumasan's journal 1M5Y

Post by candide »

kumasan wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:42 pm
The reason I'm writing this is to tell in the next 5 years how I made 1M in the last 5 years! Confusing eh?
It all started with this very post I wrote 5 years ago in a really bonnie forum - ERE.
So wait, is this the post, or did the post happen in the first timeline, and we are now in a branch timeline?

Either way, congrats on the million.

Welcome back. . . also, welcome.

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

candide wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:50 pm
So wait, is this the post, or did the post happen in the first timeline, and we are now in a branch timeline?

Either way, congrats on the million.

Welcome back. . . also, welcome.
Thank you, @candide. This is the type of question that I love to wonder about, but unfortunately the time guardians are watching us, and I'm not allowed to answer that.

EREans, the story of my life at that point goes more or less like this.

Born and raised in a developing country. All my grandparents came the same place, and mum immigrated when was still a kid. I was quite good in school, and somehow I feel like that made me a bit of a softy spoiled one, never having to fight hard for anything. Perhaps just one year of hard studying to get into a good university, which I did. Weirdly enough, I kept having these dreams that I would have to study all over again or that I didn't have enough time to finish an exam. Go figure. Anyways, I was always aware that I was good in theoretical memorisation sort of school stuff, but not so much in life stuff or to think for myself. Still, got my degree in engineer, and worked about three years. Saved quite a lot, struggled to get back on my feet after a broke-up, and somehow believed that the world was collapsing a bit. Also I couldn't somehow find a fulfilling job (not that I tried that much). So I used that money to travel, travel, travel and live abroad. That was supposed to be a sabbatical year, but ended up being around 3 years. Funny how inertia works sometimes. That was also the time I met future Mrs. Kumasan, so no regrets at all. Then I decided to get a master's in sustainability (borrowed family money as the rest of my net worth was tied to a non liquid asset). By 2022 I was on the final years of a PhD, but really behind in terms of getting the degree. Not something I enjoyed nor was something I was good at, although learning Python and working in the funded project were fun. I applied for the position because it was one of the few things within my capacity at the time that I could do, after the huge gap in my CV, and live in a really nice country and somewhere closer to future Mrs. Kumasan. Not the right reasons to apply for a PhD obviously. Spoiled, naive, not driven =(.

In June 2022, my financial situation was more or less like this. Had enough savings to pay off mortgage if necessary, and was willing to keep those in fiat because a home was a home for me. Inflation was quite high at the time as well. Coming from a developing country, I was used to those rates and quite aware of losing money, but I wanted to at least guarantee my home. Also, I had to have a certain amount in savings due to bureaucracy related to immigration. Had very little here and there in high risk investments as well. I was saving around 60% of PhD salary. Expenses were high partially to account for immigration bureaucracy (due to come in the next 5 years) but also because living somewhere else makes it expensive to see the family. I was also about to manage to liquidate an asset and pay off family debt =) My net worth was very minimum in my mid 30s, without much of a pension, obviously. Another thing that worried me was if my family needed my financial help, so I needed to make sure that I would boost my net worth. However, if I only needed to survive, any part time job would do, which was a comforting thought.

On a better note, the commitment contract I signed on the First Contact day started to pay off, so next time I'll tell you what I was up to.

candide

Post by candide »

kumasan wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:14 pm
Thank you, @candide. This is the type of question that I love to wonder about, but unfortunately the time guardians are watching us, and I'm not allowed to answer that.
Understood. We will say no more on the matter.

Your story is very interesting. And while I appreciate your openess to share some of your vulnerabilities and weaknesses, there is no need sell that part of your life short.

I look forward to reading your next writing about the first fruit of your contract, and the rest of your progress.
Last edited by candide on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

Thank you for your kind words, @candide! Talking about weaknesses, I remember that right before I started this journey I got this interview at an amazing international organization. Basically I knew the recruiter, got all the necessary experiences and would be earning net 3x my salary at the time. Enough to FI in less than 5Y but not enough for 1M. Anyways, I totally blew it, got super nervous and answered something stupid when asked about strengths and weaknesses. Truth be told, I was not self-aware at all at the time, so that needed to change if I want to capitalise on what I was good at and reach my 1M5Y goal. Know thyself.

Started by trying the Myers Briggs test (INFP), high 5 strength (thinker, believer, focus expert, self believer, time keeper), then asked Mrs. Kumasan to take it on my behalf (coach, chameleon, optimist, brainstormer, peace keeper), asked a good friend who is very observant (kindness, self control, self sufficiency, wisdom, supportiveness, empathy). I wasn't sure I agreed with any of these so I started to reflect a bit on it every week to see if it helps.

With that commitment contract, I started to have more energy and time. I was managing to join the 5am club again and get my work done with around 5 to 6 pomodoro sessions per day. Reading biographies and self-help books (apparently that's what rich people do). The pace of books was quite helpful though, instead of googling stuff. So many people trying to sell you their words. Isn't it crazy how hard it is to get the info you want on Google? Ads, ads, ads... I was getting fitter and more disciplined about food. It was a good test spending 1 week holiday with Mrs. Kumasan's family and managing to stay away from the temptation of sugar hehe. We also started eating foraged or food grown in our own wee garden thanks to Mrs. Kumasan new skills (so much fresh salad and nasturtium) and making gifts for Xmas (jam, tea and elderflower wine). Life is good.

Ideally, we wanted to get more land in 5Y, so we tried to house sit whenever we could for people with farm animals to see if that's what we really wanted. At that moment, only hens so far hehe. I also started to work on how to make more money: side hustles and small business ideas that before never got to a concrete level. I don't know what I was afraid of honestly... Perhaps that the confidence or good habits would start fading..

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

When it comes to interviews, there are certain questions that pop up all the time, and the one about strengths and weaknesses is one of them. While knowing yourself is good in and of itself, for the purposes of interviewing, it is much better to look up either youtube videos of other advice for how to answer those and prepare a canned answer that you rattle off. Make it targeted - e.g., name strengths relevant to your profession and make weaknesses something that isn't a big deal. Also see, "Well, I used to have weakness X, which used to result in Y thing, but [insert 1-2 sentences about how heroically you overcame the weakness]" -- e.g. i used to stress a lot when i was behind on a deadline and was hesitant to mention this to my boss; this caused me to miss a deadline once, and since then i have realized that if after doing my best i am still unable to finish on time, it's much better to work out a new plan of action with my manager"

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

It seems like future Kumasan went for a silence retreat, so my present self is taking over today. Hope he is enjoying his little farm or wild swimming somewhere cold and beautiful.

Thanks for the tip, @ertyu! I unexpectedly got an informal job offer and I'm waiting for the outcome of another one I interviewed to recently. Somehow, I'm quite confident to get the second one as well. And here was I thinking I was too old, long CV gap, not much experiences to offer. I should preserve this memory for future self-doubt moments. Anyways, Job1 is not a permanent position (although probably would be extended as long as I want to), a bit too specific and not very transferable, no opportunity to grow career wise and people management experience (apart from partners work), but for a great organisation and network possibilities. Job2 is a permanent position, specific but work description is much more transferable, and a bit of opportunity to grow career wise, management of contractors and possible team management in the future. Job 2 also helps more towards a permanent residency is much more hands on. Both works with sustainability =) Pay&benefit-wise, I think they are more or less comparable if considering everything, but if I'm just considering net salary I could retire in 3.5 years with Job1, but would need maybe 5.5 years for Job2. Still waiting for a response to possibly negotiate and see (Job1 seeker is in a bit of dire situation and needs to hire immediately). However, none of these would leave me close to the 1M5Y target, which brings the question if I'm just trying the "easy" route instead of really trying to expand my full human being potential. For example, if I just do some intensive cleaning jobs over the weekend, I could cover almost all my expenses in frugal mode, and try to work something more ambitious for the working week. At the moment, I have no idea what I could do and although being idle helps with creativity, too much is not good for me either. Obviously, this terrifies me more than Job1 or Job2 paths. In general, I'm not such an active person, so I'm not sure how much energy I would have to try some side hustling combined with either Job1 or Job2.

Re the commitment contract, I slacked a bit the past week, although I did at least 4 of the items, so I don't have to give my precious moneys away yet. I think there are one or two extra items that should be included in the next iteration. I'm also trying this no complain, condem, criticise rule by Dale Carnegie and whenever Mrs. Kumasan picks me up on doing it, I own her one money unit. So far I owned her already 17 money units, but she is being lenient.. It has been challenging to change that haha.

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

Time for a little update!

I went for Job1 starting soon, but decided to go for 4 days a week! That means out of my back-of-the-envelope calculation, FI in a bit over 4 years, but not even close to 1M. Well, obviously I cannot depend on being salaryman for this, so let's what I can do with my 1 day off.

Mrs. Kumasan and I are craving for a homestead life. Not sure how that will be compatible with FI in year 4,.. We will be soon house sitting two of such blissful existences.

Commitment contract ended and pig bank has 60 money units in its belly! But I think these should be shortened to a duration of 1 month to keep the motivation going. So here is the new making Super kumasan contract starting tomorrow:

Contract copy:
Hereby, I, aka Kumasan, shall abide for the next 30 days to the following rules:
1) Meditate every day AT LEAST 20 MIN
2) Workout every day - at least two (stretching, walking or something aerobic, strength training)
3) Food - sweets only if you or Mrs. Kumasan homemade it or in socially situations where it would be awkward to refuse it
4) Self reflection every day IN WRITTEN FORMAT!
5) Eliminate distractions: sign in to personal email only when an email needs to be sended, phone with wellbeing function activate (social media max 15 min. browser max 5 min, email max 5 min). Block news website from laptop/tablet. NO WEB WHATSAPP UNLESS NEED TO SEND FILES! NO NON RELATED WORK VIDEOS OR CHECKING HOMESTEAD PROPERTIES DURING THE WEEK!
6) REJOIN 5AM CLUB

If no rule is broken, add 1 money unit into the pig bank
If one rule is broken, add 0.5 money unit into the pig bank. YOU CANNOT BREAK THE SAME RULE IN CONSECUTIVE DAYS!
START A NEW PIG BANK. If more than one rule is broken, remove 10 money units from the pig bank. If it gets to negative after 30 days, the money is giving to either someone who wrong me or to a political candidate I absolutely despise. Any non essential stuff (like that second hand Le Creuset pan you want, but not necessarily need it) can only be purchased with pig bank money.

Signature Kumasan
7/9/2022

I think for the next version I'll add only cold showers allowed, although coldest setting at home still mixes a bit of water from the boiler =(

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

That's a good contract :). I'd be curious about the cumulative effect it has on your life after you follow it for a month.

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

Followed it for a month just to get back to the old habits again. Some sort of winter blues without any feelings for Xmas and New Year's damn!
Will start again in February, but for now just trying to at least meditate, sugar detox, and move my arse. Much better than the last months when I was just eating rubbish.

Not sure what is wrong. This is the most significant job (sustainability field) I have ever had. SR lingering around 60-70%, remote, 4x a week, and still I just struggle to get the motivation. Got some lottery tickets yesterday =/
Perhaps it's because it's all the time in front of a computer? And I still spend a lot of off-work time online doing nothing useful (like today I was reading about living in a commune). I could do maybe an extra part-time cleaning, cooking, painting or learning something like plumbing? Or perhaps it's because I'm still working for someone else. For this I don't know how to make money on my own...

Noisy thoughts and a bit depressing.. Sorry about that.
Finished reading Factfulness by Hans Rosling and got interested in mushrooms. I want to try to grown some home, although not sure they will grow without a bit of heating on.

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

So February I started with only three rules: 2 types of exercises, no sugar (unless it's socially awkward or I made it myself) and 20 min meditation every day. If I skip any of these 10 moneys go away. I added one that is to lose 1kg by the end of the Month (100 moneys go away).

I also started doing therapy, which is helping me understand these struggles I have with work. It might or might not pay off, but at least it feels like I'm actively doing something about it. Things like self-esteem, social awkwardness, recognition seem to be a recurrent theme.

It has almost been a year since I moved to a new country. Working from home makes a bit difficult for me to be more social. Struggling sometimes to justify the cost of socializing. Like I practice a bit of a niche sport, but the nearest sports club is like 25 min drive.. then each session is much more expensive than I used to pay in the previous country I lived.

We got a free self growth mushroom kit that someone didn't like for Xmas!

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

kumasan wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:15 am
I also started doing therapy, which is helping me understand these struggles I have with work. It might or might not pay off, but at least it feels like I'm actively doing something about it. Things like self-esteem, social awkwardness, recognition seem to be a recurrent theme.
I also have struggles with work so id be interested in your discoveries about yours, if you feel like writing up a post about it

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

It has been quite some time...

Roughly calculated my finances and maybe I can get to SWR 4% in 2 years for a minimalistic lifestyle. This still includes luxuries such as internet and electricity. This realisation boosted my motivation to stay in my job. I like the job itself and my team, but the work with our project partners has been quite energy draining. Two people have particularly strong personalities. Just 2 more years!
Then I remember my grandma who was this nicest humble person who was always content with life, no complaints whatsoever. I don't want to become an old grumpy man (which is my current trajectory full speed), I want to learn how to deal with such people/situations. And if I manage 5 instead of 2 then maybe homesteading will become reality!!! \o/

I've been also realising that even though I'm not there, I don't want to completely stop working. There's potentially so many decades left still, so many skills to explore without having to worry so much about finances. Like learning an instrument and play the occasional odd gig or sell fresh mushrooms at the market? This 2 year goal, it seems so near, so within reach!
Mrs. Kumasan's parents are about to retire soon. They have a bunch of health problems, and I can see that full time can be a struggle at that age. I wonder if Biden needs a nap or two during his day. Man is like 80 wow!

Regarding therapy, I'm not sure if I discovered anything, @ertyu. It definitely helps to have a professional to talk to when you have one of those hard weeks at work. I think slowly I also try to see more the positives aspects of my work weather than concentrating on the negatives. I do tend to give too much focus/power to the negative. Like in previous jobs: too much travel/too little social life, not sustainable, etc.
One thing that feels like it had been going in circles for a while is my wish to do a side hustle/small business thing, but just can't put myself to do it. It has been frustrating. 1M5Y seems to be very far away, although even if I made 10 bucks with the dumbest business thing, but that was my own I would be celebrating with pizza!! A broccoli one yum!

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

Just had one of those weeks when you felt like you did nothing. So many work meetings!!

Last weekend feels like ages ago now, but I did manage to put together some shelves in the attic to organize our excess of stuff. We have this long overdue project we didn't do last year which was to better insulate it. I don't like to use heating (in previous places I managed zero heating through winter) and usually freeloaded from neighbours over usage, but it seems like everyone was more cautious with their energy bills and we felt quite cold last winter. So we are finally organizing stuff upstairs for the winter DIY. We also foraged fruit for jam/wine making and infusing gin. It was a good weekend active weekend.

I also did 4 pomodoros this week regarding small business exploration. Therapist said it's very good to start spinning the wheel and that inertia is my friend.

I was reading about youth unemployment in China and came across this tale of Kong Yiji, who was a highly educated person but never passed the imperial exams and couldn't pursue a bureaucratic career. Kong Yiji is however too proud to take another job and lives as an alcoholic.
I was thinking that I would struggle to take certain jobs myself, even though some of these can be quite rewarding (not only monetarily, but also physically/emotionally). Although probably a very human response, this struggle feels like very stupid to me. What is more weird is that I would probably be happy to take such jobs if I was already FI, but not before. Probably a sick sort of social validation need that triggers a cognitive dissonance battle in me. If however I do adapt to this, then I could potentially take an extra job that would help me FI quicker, and even gain more skills.

kumasan

Post by kumasan »

happy 2024! Compiled my finances end of last year and I realised that I just have enough in savings, investments and pension for SWR 4% for my minimum expenses. That felt really good! The bulk of it is in a pensions account though, so need to slowly build up the investments portfolio. Hopefully in 2 years I have the SWR 4% on that too. I should try to live the minimum life for a month or two to see as well how it feels.
Also realised that I spent sooo much time thinking about finances, which is not healthy for me. Will try to live more of life and not think so much about it. A milestone has been crossed anyways hooray.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Congrats! Maybe it will be easier to stick to your healthy living contract now that you have crossed the 4% threshold. I would be interested to read an update after you try living on your withdrawal rate, that sounds like a fun experiment.