Work is good (and to not work is bad?)

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Lemur

Re: Work is good (and to not work is bad?)

Post by Lemur »

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

candide wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:30 pm
This thread has a lot of examples of the thinking that leads me to prefer to use the term "job" instead of "work" when I am making critiques.
Hard work seems to mean something different depending on who is telling you to work hard. I've had managers who when they told me to work hard they meant to sit in a seat 60 hours a week staring at a screen. I even had one who said it doesn't matter what you accomplish as long as you are present. On the other hand I can see the guys who collect our rubbish are putting more physical effort in during a month than I ever have in a year. Then you have the hard work which is pouring your mental energy into some creative endeavour, it might be artistic or writing software or designing a PCB. To me this is intrinsically rewarding although doing it for money tends to remove the pleasure after a while.

There is a link between work and wellbeing, it seems the optimum dose is one day week: https://www.cam.ac.uk/employmentdosage

candide

Post by candide »

Once again Taleb is on it:
Their idea of the sabbatical is to work six days and rest for one; my idea of the sabbatical is to work for (part of) a day and rest for six.
The Bed of Procrustes, page 40.