Favorite quotations, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Objectivity is an Asset

Post by jacob »

guitarplayer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:40 am
'Stupid' is a strong word semantically and can be used purposefully to make a point or gather attention. I think @jacob this is part of your communication style that is appealing to some people. Unlike @Riggerjack, I am not disappointed by this remark insofar @jacob considers himself part of 'people' and hence stupid at times, which I am sure he does same way I do. After all stupid is necessary to smart up, not being stupid at some point would take away all the fun.
I used "stupid" above in a specific technical way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_M._ ... %281976%29
I wish there was such a thing as professors of stupidity. I think this is a subject that's not studied nearly enough. Agnotology is probably the closest thing. (I don't use the s-word word in its vernacular sense as in "not-smart".)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

“RJ” wrote: In other words, your position on stupid people was crafted for you, before you ever thought about finding a seat. And once you took that seat, all the evidence available to you reinforced your position. Everyone around you sees what you see. It's obvious, as it should be.
This is the post-modern perspective. The individual can not achieve consciousness outside of the field. Particle/wave. The meritocrat will eventually come to choke on his own affluent just like the industrialist. Etc. etc.

BUT...now where do we find ourselves? Yes, everything is relative and the objective is better known as the inter-subjective, and every thesis has its anti-thesis...
Yet, we still wish to be happier and retain our own teeth into old age and get laid and read good books maybe even fly in a dirigible to Paris one day, so we require some means by which to figure out what set of practices will best serve our dividual or transdividual purposes, so...yikes, once again we’re constructing a hierarchy, but let’s, please, be more careful, much more self-aware, much more aware of the perspectives of others, so as to not construct hierarchies whose purpose (whether blatant or blind)is to reinforce status rather than to point the way forward.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

jacob wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:35 am
I used "stupid" above in a specific technical way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_M._ ... %281976%29
I wish there was such a thing as professors of stupidity. I think this is a subject that's not studied nearly enough. Agnotology is probably the closest thing. (I don't use the s-word word in its vernacular sense as in "not-smart".)
I am aware this is how you think of the word, still you can choose to use it directly or paraphrase.

On a related note, worth pondering would be whether it is better to assume a g-factor for stupidity or rather multidimensional stupidity in parallel to a debate with regards to intelligence as taken in cognitive psychology and psychology of individual differences.

My takeaway - agnotology.

sky

Post by sky »

I think it is fair to call people who engage in self-destructive behavior "stupid". I like Cipolla's analysis. One could include the study of sociopsychological disorders such as the witch hunt, fascism, mobbing, or whatever is happening on facebook in the present time.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Isn’t it more accurate to describe behaviors as “stupid” rather than humans? Can’t we all think of examples of our own behaviors that would sort to each of these quadrants?

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@sky, I like his analysis too. I never found time to research to what extent it was designed as a satire and to what extent was based on evidence.

Also, in relation to the pathologies you have mentioned, this
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:04 am
In "The Listening Society", Freinacht suggests that the very real and growing possibility that realities like this could develop is one reason why government is going to have to become increasingly more intrusive in personal life. For instance, he suggests that universal psychological therapy would likely pay dividends in overall social harmony. IOW, in a world where every complete whack-case is given a megaphone, it will become a trade-off between limiting the freedom of access to megaphones for the average only semi-whack-case citizen vs. making some attempt to intervene in the psychological development of pathologies within "dividuals" or "transvidual" nodes of consciousness.
makes me think of 'political ponerology' mentioned elsewhere by @dragline, where the subject of bandits (psychopaths) in power is discussed.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@Riggerjack, excellent analogy of the theater, thank you.
Thank you for your generous interpretation of my post.

I haven't been posting here for a while, because I have noticed my tendency to post what I think of as "yes, but" posts, where I am trying to point out the missing piece not mentioned in the post I am replying to. My problem is I seem to run out of steam, without giving enough information to follow my own models.

The post above is a great example of me running out of steam before getting all the important details into the post.

Jacob is referring to the Cipolla model, wherein stupid people are defined as "A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses." As such, I don't think stupid people as a derogatory term, but as a class of actions. And when I am honest, I can apply the term to myself when my actions warrant it (such as the post above).

My post above reads like an autistic rant on societal privilege. That wasn't where I meant to go. :oops:

What I was trying to express is that "stupid", looks different, from different perspectives. And that up close, a stupid choice can look like a reasonable decision, given the information and priors of the stupid person making the choice. That when one understands this, one can then look at the information and priors available to the stupid person, and see that those are part of the theater design. (There was never an intent to make this individual stupid, but the sum of the theater design decisions was to make some number of GA stupid, and this number is being increased by the way we run the theater.)

Stupid people are not "managed" by the authorities in our society, but created by our society. So when authorities in our society create obstacles, they use the inherited knowledge of the box seats to show that these obstacles are necessary to herd the Stupid. While being very quiet about the secondary effects of obstacle creation, more Stupid, requiring even more obstacle creation. And more stupid, creates cover and opportunity for more banditry.

One does not see this from box seats looking down. One sees this by studying obstacle creation and effects.

An excellent example would be how we handled Covid, masking and truthiness. If one believes that public health officials were protecting one from stupid by adding a low obstacle of obvious lies, then it is reasonable to see this as "good administration". That was an obstacle down in GA, helping keep the stupids away from the stairways. No real harm, because stupid will be stupid :roll:

On the other hand, if one perceives stupid people trying to make reasonable decisions from the stupid options presented to them, the harm is obvious, and the cause is environmental. Then one needs to attend to how that environment that promotes/nurtures stupid and bandit behavior is created and maintained. (This leads to looking at theater design.)

From that perspective, one can see the public health response as causative, rather than preventative of stupidity. Adding unnecessary obstacles, that in no way mitigated the behavior of stupid, but did cause stupid behavior to be highlighted.

From there, rather than focus on how the theater protects one from stupidity, one can focus on how the obstacles that create the incentives that drive stupid/bandit behavior are a vital part of our theater design.

I know that Jacob is working on the metacrisis. I was trying to point out that the tool he was holding up as being designed to protect from stupidity, is in fact creating stupidity.

I believe this to be very common in the G-ladder of the MOC model. Tools with a primary function that is tracked, and many "unintended but perfectly obvious consequences", that aren't.

I posted, because if one is still thinking in terms of stupid people, and protective theater design, I don't know how one would make any progress on the metacrisis problem.

@RJ- Aren't you essentially making the case for determinism? That people don't have a strong sense of agency and are set on predetermined paths by the overarching society.
Um... no. I am trying to make clear the feedback loop between managing stupid, and creating the incentives for more stupid choices. And that accepting the view from one's own seat, where ever it may be, is not sufficient to show one the information necessary to understand the problem.

For what it's worth, David Graeber's book "Utopia of rules" goes down similar lines to what I am trying to express, and he's a far better communicator.
BUT...now where do we find ourselves? Yes, everything is relative and the objective is better known as the inter-subjective, and every thesis has its anti-thesis...
Yet, we still wish to be happier and retain our own teeth into old age and get laid and read good books maybe even fly in a dirigible to Paris one day, so we require some means by which to figure out what set of practices will best serve our dividual or transdividual purposes, so...yikes, once again we’re constructing a hierarchy, but let’s, please, be more careful, much more self-aware, much more aware of the perspectives of others, so as to not construct hierarchies whose purpose (whether blatant or blind) is to reinforce status rather than to point the way forward.
Well, to be clear, I am pointing out problems with our current hierarchy design. I'm of the opinion that tall hierarchies are better at creating/exporting issues than resolving them, and that this is what an effective modern hierarchy is for. But it's hard to make that case when so much of what we know/believe is determined by our preprogrammed experiences within such organizations.

If one is still watching stupid, and being comforted by the obstacles that make them so entertaining to watch, one is not thinking about the circumstances creating stupid. One is instead performing one's intended role, and supporting the theater.

This severely restricts one's solution space for the metacrisis.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Riggerjack - This is mostly in response to your first post. The second appeared while I was writing this.

Even ten years ago journalistic writing used to be selected by an editor and by extension a publisher, who presumably knew more than the audience even if they did not know as much as subject matter experts (important point) and even if they might have some agenda of their own. The writings were then sold as a package in the form of a newspaper or the newspaper's semi-static homepage. To read news, someone had to buy the newspaper or log on to the various homepages.

Whereas now, journalistic writing is selected by the audience and journalists quickly learn what gets eyeballs and goes viral and what does not. Titles have become more clickbaity as a consequence. Writing has become more outrageous. The need to fill a 24/7 hour newscycle also means that the number of op-eds relative to reporting has gone [way] up.

Algorithmic feeding also means that rather than being served a package as designed by the editor, people are served individual articles based on what kind of social media reactions they've individually exhibits. Some people get rage-news. Some people get left-news. Some get right-news. For example, my #$@#$%^ youtube feed is full of flightsim vids, synth pop, and strongmen competitions. It's basically a rabbit hole I don't seem to be able to get out of UNLESS I know what else to search for and maintain a different tack for long enough for the algorithmic winds to shift. Those who get their news from youtube---which is a growing number of people---might be similarly stuck.

I'll readily agree that a journalist doesn't capture the full reality. I (and ERE) have been viewed through the journalistic lens before. Check out my wiki page (which can only report stuff that's been seen in an actual paper) to see the limits of that.

To use the theater metaphor.

It used to be that subjectivity was grouped and somewhat informed. E.g. there was a elitist theater, a leftwing theater, ..., a center-right theater, a populist theater, and so on---maybe 10-15 different theaters. Some editor selected what was shown and everybody who went to the that theater saw the same movies or plays.

What has happened in the meantime is that subjectivity has changed from being collectivized to individualized. Now everybody watches their "own" movies from home and as such there are now 100 million theaters. However, not only that ... but the choice architecture is also determined by what any one individual has watched in the past. Everyone's individual theater is Hotel California. Subjectivity has been algorithmically locked in!!

Editors in having to present the same thing to a bunch of people at the same time at least needed to understand a bunch of different perspectives even if they are in a limited range, e.g. center-right politics, lets say between 0.5 and 0.7 on the wing-scale. Conversely, ultrasubjective algorithmic delivery will know that you pay most attention to articles that score 0.6284 on the wing-scale and so it'll serve only that. Try doing a google search on someone else's computer.

The 0.6284 perspective will consequently be "the most important perspective in the world to you" ... but only to you; it's practically unique to you, because you're "Mr 0.6284", a postmodern newspaper with one algorithmic editor and one reader. There's no objective forcing [previously provided by editors] to make it even slightly wider, that is, widen it to 0.5-0.7 and have you suffer perspectives that are even slightly disagreeable. People are increasingly specializing in perspectives. This also means the capacity to see other perspectives is fracturing.

For the social strata and "who's the non-smart one" issue...

This narrowing down of perspectives creates "stupid behavior" or "stupid people" (I'm pretty agnostic whether to identify "stupid" with the action or the person. An accountant accounts.) at scale which creates a drag on the general welfare (which I think does contain an objective dimension). By "stupid", I refer to action that specifically damages both the one initiating the action as well as others. A super-narrow (0.6284) and riled up perspective (*biggest problem in the world as far anyone with the 0.6284 perspective can tell*) risks such "stupid" action. Having only seen one perspective it's inconceivable why others don't seem to worry or care as much as 0.6284 does. "Are they all ignorant, privileged, assholes?"

I think therein lies the problem of everyone developing a perspective of hypersubjectivism. Everyone becomes a potential enemy while simultaneously the ability to see oneself through the eyes of neutral parties or even the eyes of one's enemies diminishes. IOW, hypersubjectivism drops the Kegan level.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Jacob,

Yeah, I agree that it is a problem. I don't think it is the problem you seem to believe it is.
Whereas now, journalistic writing is selected by the audience and journalists quickly learn what gets eyeballs and goes viral and what does not.
So the editor has been replaced by an algorithm. Exactly the same process, less human curation. If I didn't see the human curation as being at least as problematic as the algorithm, perhaps I would find this alarming. As things stand, this is a difference in degree. Not a difference in kind.

Algorithms are easier to circumvent than human curation. The algorithm makes the article you are searching for more difficult to find. The Editor makes it not exist. To me, this offsets the hazards, but I am aware that most people put far fewer resources into algorithmic defense than I do.

IOW, hypersubjectivism drops the Kegan level.
In exactly the same way Subjectivism did, but with more variety.

But I like variety in people. I like variety in viewpoints. We used to have groupthink, and now we have scatterthink. I strongly prefer scatterthink. :D

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@jacob, maybe a better question is
"What value is the news providing you?"

Because it must provide something, otherwise the fragmentation wouldn't bother you.

I let go of the news, because the noise to signal ratio was too high, and total value went negative. Information consumption has a cost, and building my own information diet meant finding what I was hungry for. So much better than the twinkies and moonpies on offer from corporate media.

If the problem is all the people who are wrong on the internet, well, I don't have an answer... But if the problem is something else, I would like to explore that.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Riggerjack wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:39 pm
So the editor has been replaced by an algorithm. Exactly the same process, less human curation. If I didn't see the human curation as being at least as problematic as the algorithm, perhaps I would find this alarming. As things stand, this is a difference in degree. Not a difference in kind.

Algorithms are easier to circumvent than human curation. The algorithm makes the article you are searching for more difficult to find. The Editor makes it not exist. To me, this offsets the hazards, but I am aware that most people put far fewer resources into algorithmic defense than I do.
The algorithm also makes it "not exist" within anyone's hypersubjective reality. If I had a dollar for every "If that's so important, how come I never heard about it before given that I read all the news in my facebook feed"-comment.

My main point was that editors by virtue of creating a limited number (10-15) of different "baskets" (e.g. 0.5--0.7, etc.) in the form of major newspapers forced consumers to sometimes read stuff that was disagreeable to their own feels and worldview. Whereas algorithms have destroyed the "basket system" by making it easy to create 100 million+ custom-made shopping carts. As such, when Mr 0.6824 meets Mrs 0.5377, the new information or perspective that is revealed can turn into a major emotional crisis, because people are generally less used to dealing with viewpoints they find disagreeable.

IOW, the 0.5-0.7 editor-basket created at least a level of "shared subjectivity" (which is what objectivity is by definition) within a range.

The other problem is that the removal of objectivity removes any lack of grounding. The "latest issue" in one's hypersubjective reality becomes "the most important thing ever" and "damn anyone else if they don't realize or accept that". This kind of "me me hyperindividualized reality construct" causes a breakdown in the fabric of society. For example, every single time we've lost forum members over the past 7 years, it has been over some spat that had been elevated to a major concern but which would eventually (often within a couple of weeks) turn out to barely warrant a chapter in a history book. During the first 5 years of forum operation this never happened. And just to not make this about the forum. Consider how many US families have stopped talking to other members of their own family because they voted for the other party. Same issue in the dating sphere where people now subject each other to political tests. Even real estate is affected when people check a political box alongside with whether the property comes with a view or a garage.

The cost of all this "wonderful subjectivism" is that tolerance has gone by the wayside.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I don’t think the Internet is the primary cause of the problems you have noted. The reason these issues reach into family, dating, and choice of home is that politics in the 21st century has become increasingly engendered. This will not be resolved until issues related to both feminism and masculinism are addressed.

I managed to have a very good conversation with the grouchiest of the grouchy old men in my social circle the other day simply by very forthrightly inquiring about whether he felt that society treated him as more expendable because he was male.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

IOW, the 0.5-0.7 editor-basket created at least a level of "shared subjectivity" (which is what objectivity is by definition) within a range.
I think you meant: The editor-basket created a "shared defined objectivity". I agree. Of course the problem comes as "defined objectivity" varies farther and farther from observable reality. The defined objectivity didn't change. Reality simply became more easily observed, and Venn diagram of defined objectivity vs observable reality just doesn't have as much overlap as expected/desired.

But I agree. Absolutely, all of the changes in your post ares happening for the reasons you point out.

I think where we disagree is the importance of:
This kind of "me me hyperindividualized reality construct" causes a breakdown in the fabric of society. For example, every single time we've lost forum members over the past 7 years, it has been over some spat that had been elevated to a major concern but which would eventually (often within a couple of weeks) turn out to barely warrant a chapter in a history book.
I see this breakdown in the fabric of society as inevitable, and not without benefits. (See Gutenberg press to Hundred years' war, infotech has consequences.)

It is inevitable, because we now have ALL THAT INFORMATION. And the fabric of society you are concerned with is based on depriving us of most of that information. There is no going back.

I don't give much value to cohesiveness based on manipulation and deprivation. Deprivation of information, and the manipulation of the audience is how your fabric of society was woven. Narratives are now less controlled, and far more prevalent and contradictory. Prevalence and contradiction are good things, in this respect.

But I also accept that this means more work has to be done at an individual level, and community level to build cohesiveness. Fortunately, this is also the scale the tools work best at. I believe this is one of the benefits of this breakdown in society. We will be forced to create the benefits we wish to enjoy, while also getting new tools to create those benefits. Obviously, failing to create those benefits would be negative sum, but that is a separate issue.

Humans don't work very well at industrial scales. We are not standardized units, that can be swapped out like burnt out bearings. The 20th century is full of graveyards caused by trying to force industrial scales on human beings. Nations got bigger, alliances got bigger, wars got bigger, businesses got bigger, all our institutions got bigger. And people were ground into lubricants for these huge structures... all while the central cohesive messaging was "Bigger is better. More leverage makes more action. Stability is stagnation."

But the 21st century is opening up new, fast, small organizations. These small communities can put the effort into curating a local, specialized reality. We are doing this weakly, here. SemiERE, Wheaton levels, WOG, these things mean nothing to the typical reader of NYT, but we have community understandings of these terms, here.

Humans didn't evolve to communicate in writing, on forums. The rewards for doing so are very limited. And still, we are here.

But look at the ERE city thread. Our online community is not strong/appealing enough to gather people together in real life, to live in one place. Partly, it's because herding cats. But partly it is because ERE is an adaptive strategy, geared to adapting to the world. Following ERE principles, tunes one to the local systems, and no one locality has strong enough appeal to overcome the herding cats problem. Then there are scaling issues...

I believe that the vast amount of information we have available makes a large community extremely unstable. So we won't have as many of those in the future. But it also makes smaller communities more cohesive, because it brings information distribution back to a human scale. And allows for propagation of the small community scale at nearly no cost. Get the scale and incentives right, and the pattern can be recreated as needed, nearly free.

In practice, I see this as something like the cultural difference between the Great American Empire, and Switzerland. In the GAE, we centralize and globalize, we scale up and leverage advantages. Whereas Swiss tend to localize, to form what Taleb calls "a dictatorship from the bottom", and notes: "the system produces stability— boring stability— at every possible level."

Look around you. Right now with the SPX at $4500, and in the longest period between recessions in US history, what would you give for some assurance that you could live in a local world of boring stability?

In the Edited world, where dissent is deleted, what is the incentive to create such a place? How would you communicate/coordinate it? Would such a thing be possible, at all? I think the history of intentional communities answers that question, many times over.

But today, dissent is everywhere, communication and coordination costs are near zero, and the demand for stability is growing at the same time that traditional suppliers of stability are failing, hard.

To me this looks like opportunity. If one wants to build/grow a better world, is there anything more hopeful than the old power structures breaking down and casting off resources?

It's a fantastic time to be alive. Being choosy with communications partners seems like a very small price to pay.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@riggerjack - What models of this do you see operating outside the large nation state model? Or do you forseee or advocate a splintering of large nation states into smaller canton-esq arrangements?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Why would models operate outside of a nation state model? How? Where?

I am thinking of using the current laws and customs and markets of Washington State, in the US. And I certainly hope both entities outlast me.

Maybe this will help:
Theories of legitimacy
There are many different ways in which legitimacy can come about. In general, legitimacy arises because the thing that gains legitimacy is psychologically appealing to most people. But of course, people's psychological intuitions can be quite complex. It is impossible to make a full listing of theories of legitimacy, but we can start with a few:

Legitimacy by brute force: someone convinces everyone that they are powerful enough to impose their will and resisting them will be very hard. This drives most people to submit because each person expects that everyone else will be too scared to resist as well.

Legitimacy by continuity: if something was legitimate at time T, it is by default legitimate at time T+1.

Legitimacy by fairness: something can become legitimate because it satisfies an intuitive notion of fairness. See also: my post on credible neutrality, though note that this is not the only kind of fairness.

Legitimacy by process: if a process is legitimate, the outputs of that process gain legitimacy (eg. laws passed by democracies are sometimes described in this way).

Legitimacy by performance: if the outputs of a process lead to results that satisfy people, then that process can gain legitimacy (eg. successful dictatorships are sometimes described in this way).

Legitimacy by participation: if people participate in choosing an outcome, they are more likely to consider it legitimate. This is similar to fairness, but not quite: it rests on a psychological desire to be consistent with your previous actions.

Note that legitimacy is a descriptive concept; something can be legitimate even if you personally think that it is horrible. That said, if enough people think that an outcome is horrible, there is a higher chance that some event will happen in the future that will cause that legitimacy to go away, often at first gradually, then suddenly.
from https://vitalik.eth.limo/general/2021/0 ... imacy.html

Legitimacy by brute force is already established, nearly world wide. Where it isn't, is NOT appealing, to me.

The rest of the forms of legitimacy are tools that can be used within the nation-state, with the cooperation of the nation-state. Once legitimacy is established, if the nation deteriorates, the local systems can continue to operate as they already do... See any empire's collapse, local and regional systems continue as before, even often using the currency of the missing empire, any place that war isn't disrupting life.

Legitimacy is a really powerful tool. Take a moment, think of some local issue you would like to see resolved. Clean drinking water, or increased maternity leave, whatever.

What is stopping you? Whatever the obstacle, you can trace its legitimacy back to brute force. But what other forms of legitimacy does it possess? How can they be interrupted? What actions of your own do you take that grant legitimacy? What would happen if you changed your own actions?

There is within each nation, a set of procedures to create new structures, whatever the structure. Do you want to found a new city? There are established rules and procedures (though there seems to be a lot of people on the web completely unaware of this). Do you want to make a new business? Again rules and procedures are in place. A new private club? Same.

The rules are written, I don't want or need them to change. In fact, minimizing rule changes is part of my plan. The world already has so much potential that can be tapped using the existing rules, that changes would just increase uncertainty.

What I am interested in, is using the existing rulesets, to combine forms that previously haven't been tried together, to better effect. I'll try to get more out on this subject in my journal.

Right now I'm trying to focus on Information and Stupid.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Riggerjack wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:12 pm
I think you meant: The editor-basket created a "shared defined objectivity". I agree. Of course the problem comes as "defined objectivity" varies farther and farther from observable reality. The defined objectivity didn't change. Reality simply became more easily observed, and Venn diagram of defined objectivity vs observable reality just doesn't have as much overlap as expected/desired.
I find this pretty astute. A number of years back I started hearing some sensationalist claims about a person of notoriety and their statements, coming from the presumably "edited" media. Something didn't sit right and so I went to, in this case Youtube, where it took literally seconds to find and uninterrupted/unedited video of the entire event in question. I had been lied to "over the airwaves" by multiple sources who generally claimed indisputable objectivity. A healthy dose of cynicism in my makeup meant I wasn't shocked, but on a lark I started putting more and more news to the test in the same fashion. The results back your assertion pretty well as the deception in that first item subjected to the iDave Fact Check Team played itself out repeatedly across multiple topics. Like you I've pretty much dumped "the news". I don't want to get whipsawed around in the service of power struggles.

The rest of the conversation is interesting but I have little to add as I don't study much these days outside of music.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

Riggerjack wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:39 pm
I am aware that most people put far fewer resources into algorithmic defense than I do.
Would you mind providing more details about this?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Humans vary in their ability to distinguish those making arguments using a flawed view of (objective) reality and those using different (subjective) values. For the sake of simplicity, the people who struggle to make the distinction often lump the two together and eliminate exposure to both.

Paul Graham wrote the following this morning
I just realized that one good thing about Twitter is that I understand the aggressively conventional-minded a lot better. Having always avoided them before, I didn't have a very good model of them. Whereas now I can practically predict their behavior.

I have to say, though, that it would be a good design spec for a Twitter replacement to make using it not be an education in the ways of the aggressively conventional-minded. Possibly too much to hope for, but wouldn't it be great if you could achieve that!

How could you invent something that they wouldn't like, and would choose to stay away from? I'm not sure if there are answers to that question, but it's a very interesting one to think about.
Cost/Benefit?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Ego - Given what we have to work with I presume Graham or you are looking for an algorithmic approach? It's noteworthy that the aggressive conventional mind (in MBTI terms, it's overloaded with SJ-types) exists in both traditional/conservative, modernist/technical progressives, and postmodern/social progressives forms.

The current algorithms that rule web2.0 (and web1.5) are postmodern where information that's subjectively popular rises to the top of people's attention. Information is valued by how many other people like it. We're slaves to this process whenever we "like and subscribe". Social media (web2.0) is often ranked by "best" (<- most likes, not necessarily best) and most recent. Whereas google and youtube (which are more web1.5 in that they have less interaction but are still meta to the homepage stage of web1.) provide individual rabbit holes for each user to create their very own reality based on their "own past" behavior rather than that of others.

Here's a free proposal for a platform that turns twitter on its head:
Algorithmically, one could create clusters of people based on word usage. I'll presume that most people, whether conventional or unconventional, will display some "trait"-consistency in terms of their word cloud. It's possible to do forensic analysis and peg an individual with something like 80% accuracy just by comparing their writing.

Conventional individuals will belong to the largest clusters. Unconventional people will belong to smaller clusters. Independent people will belong to several clusters. Dependent people will belong to only one or two. Thus, there's your "new ranking" in terms of what is displayed. If you want to get rid of all the dependent conventionals, just have the platform attenuate their input---it could be dialed in accordingly. They'll eventually give up and go away.

There are other ways. Compare e.g. Myspace and Facebook. Facebook is as conventional as it gets. Myspace allowed much more individual expression of creativity in terms of designing one's "homepage". If yours was cool, you got more attention. With facebook, you peak other people's attention according to "time spent" x "conventional memes" x "ad potential".

There's incidentally an entire line of research dedicated to "manipulating" online behavior. I believe it started at Stanford?

Ego

Post by Ego »

@jacob, we will soon have uncensorable, algorithmic-free versions of social media. The algorithms will be plug-ins selected by the user to filer in the way they wish to filter.

Graham wants to filter the aggressively conventionally-minded. He is in a position to create the PaulGraham® algo. I would be a user.

But there are tradeoffs. He admitted to understanding the inner-working of the aggressively conventionally-minded as a result of his exposure to them on Twitter. Those reared on his algo would never gain that understanding. We are seeing the consequences of this from those reared on the aggressively biased algos we have today.

I have a friend who is autistic. Those with autism struggle to take the perspective of others. He was fortunate to have a brilliant mother. She did basic conversation drills with him starting with greetings and transitioning to conversation opening questions. I can almost see the gears working in his mind as he tries to recognize what is happening in my day and then ask about it. While this skill does not come naturally, he works at it and has learned to see the world through the eyes of others. He can do this because theory-of-mind has both innate and learned components.

Robots are making assembly line work obsolete. Algos are making perspective-taking obsolete.

Skills that are not practiced eventually disappear. Theory-of-mind is one of the core components of human beings. It allows us to not only imagine the perspective of others, it allows us to imagine the perspective of ourselves in the future. This could be a very costly change.