Bill Plotkin - Discussion Thread

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
AnalyticalEngine

Re: Bill Plotkin - Discussion Thread

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

It sounds like then we would have myself, OutOfTheBlue, dustBowl, RoamingFrancis, Bicycle7, and mountainFrugal in the group, which is the cap of six people. In terms of the group itself, what I propose we do is first read Wild Mind and discuss it as a group then do some of the exercises/the actual Plotkin work. We could then potentially move onto the rest of Plotkin's books in a similar format at that point.

Bicycle7

Post by Bicycle7 »

Sounds good! I read Wild Mind about a year ago, but didn't get around to implementing the exercises. I'm down to read it again, I'll be also slowly making my way through his latest book, Journey of Soul Initiation.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

I'm game. What's the timeline, two three weeks?

Also, based on previous forum comments, I'm wondering if berrytwo might want to join in. If so, could we add one more member or it's a hard cap? Don't want to mess dynamics, just trying to be proactively inclusive.

AnalyticalEngine

I'm okay with berrytwo, and there might also be some people from the original group who may still want to continue too. So I say we cap it here with berrytwo and anyone from the old group who wants to continue, and if this proves to be too many people, we can break up into two groups.

Of course, let me know @berrytwo if you do want to join.

As for the logistics, I'll make a server for this on Discord so we can use Discord's video chat feature. Then I'll send out a link to everyone involved. I am about to go on a long road trip, so any meeting will have to wait until I get back. That would be at the beginning of May since I come back late April.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

avalok wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:36 pm
Curious: is the MMG open to new members currently?
Also Avalok was interested.

AnalyticalEngine

@Avalok would be welcome to join too if still interested.

avalok

Post by avalok »

I completely missed this discussion kicking off again, so thank you @mF for looping me back in. I am up for this; I checked and I only have Soulcraft, but I could easily get a copy of Wild Mind before May. I might read (some of) Soulcraft in advance of starting. @AE thank you for being so accommodating.

berrytwo

Post by berrytwo »

Thanks @Outoftheblue and AE! That would be great. I would love to be a part of the discussion group.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I missed out on early MMGs and sadly got into the 'regret I have not tried' territory. Also, missed out on this discussion as have been away.

I see the group is packed, but signal my interest here for future reference. Somewhat like @mF though, I will be quite busy with a few things until June. Please keep me in mind if another group gets created. If no other group gets created, I might put the effort past June to lead one.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Welcome, and great to see this getting such momentum!

Guitarplayer, with you this makes nine of us, plus I don't know if other participants from the old group will join.

In terms of group size, I don't know if that means we should break up into two groups. Analytical Engine mentioned ideally a group of 3-6, but I understand MMGs are often up to eight. Maybe nine is still okay?

@AE and all, what do you think?

Beginning of May leaves ample time to cover (read or reread) Wild Mind. Until then, enjoy your travels!

@Avalok, reading Soulcraft as well if you have the chance until then sounds like a great idea. I'd say go for it!

AnalyticalEngine

@guitarplayer can join too, but I'd like to avoid anyone else at this point because this is a pretty sizable group. I've heard from the older group and everyone has a full schedule, so this makes nine.

I'll send out the details for the Discord in a few weeks since I am still busy with travel.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Just a heads up, in case anyone is interested.

There is a Wild Mind-themed free online two-hour NVC workshop happening this Saturday demonstrating one of Wild Mind's core practices: Four direction circles:

Workshop: Four Direction Circles for Self-Connection - https://www.cnvc.org/training/workshop- ... ree-online

In this workshop, you will learn a self-connection practice that combines Nonviolent Communication (NVC) with nature-based "Wild Mind" depth psychology, deepening your resourcefulness of each NVC component through natural metaphors, archetypes of wholeness, windows of knowing and nature-based practices.

This workshop is an introductory workshop to “Wholistic NVC”, a 10-week series to the connected self you always wanted.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Apologies all. Trying to get an overview of a few projects I have going on at the moment and I think I might just not have enough time to meaningfully contribute to the MMG so unfortunately looks like I need to bail out. Probably one more incentive for me to aim for early retirement is to have the time for MMGs!

avalok

Post by avalok »

So I have read Soulcraft, and while I enjoyed it, and think it is something I will visit again sometime, I'm not sure this is what I'm looking for currently. There were parts I related to, particularly about finding a calling, but others that did not. In a way, I think I was put off by the seriousness of the practice, though I respect what Plotkin is teaching. I don't want to waste others time if I am unlikely to be fully engaged in this MMG; sometimes it can take only one unenthused participant to ruin the whole thing.

If it sounds like I'm completely missing the point here, let me know, else I will sit this one out. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

@avalok, it is true that Soulcraft is likely to cater to those at a particular developmental stage (the Wanderer in the Cocoon) about to embark on a quite "serious" endeavor (descent to soul), although, granted, there are many recurring themes across his work. I thought you had an idea of what you were getting into as you had the book! It sure went a bit over my head the first time around.

Wild Mind may be more widely resonant (and the same can be said for Nature and the Human Soul, with its Eco-centric human psychospiritual developmental wheel) in that it describes a Nature-Based Map of the Human Psyche, which is, among other things, a comprehensive inventory of what can be right about a person, a “shadow” version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), mainstream psychology’s list of what can go wrong with people.

It is a depth psychology that is helpful for cultivating wholeness and working with wounded/immature parts of ourselves.

I'd suggest you give this book a try as well before deciding (I can send it over by PM if not yet received). It will likely occupy the group for months and its perspective could benefit you at any stage. Not trying to force you, just offering a honest perspective.

The common theme across all books is the ecological dimension and the connection with the more-than-human-world, but I don't think that this is what you've found off-putting, right?

---

To all, maybe we could create a Plotkin MMG thread and take further related discussions there?

AnalyticalEngine

Hi everyone, an update on the Plotkin MMG.

Right now, I am in the middle of moving and trying to find a new job. As such, I don't have the additional bandwidth to lead the Plotkin MMG at this moment. In a few months, I hope to have more time, so I could start it up then. Or if someone else wants to lead it in the meantime, I would be happy to participate. But unfortunately, I currently do not have time to lead it given my current situation.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

@AE, yes, this is perfectly understandable and relatable.

Still, I think the momentum/interest is here, and we should strike while the iron is hot. Therefore, I will try to rise to the occasion and offer to take the lead, although I am not sure what this pertains exactly. Coordination, for sure, and some form of direction and initiative? I'll do my best!

@AnalyticalEngine, and @mountainFrugal, you had the advantage of having participated in or lead the previous Ecology/Plotkin MMG and thus already have some experience with that.

Would you be willing to share some insights and material/feedback from the previous group with me? If so, let's talk by PM.

Stay tuned for some movement in the coming days.

AnalyticalEngine

Thanks, @OutOfTheBlue, your help is much appreciated.

What I had in mind for this MMG group was to use Discord for its free video conferencing feature and to schedule an hour (or maybe two depending on schedules) once a month to start with. I figured we could go over Wild Mind a few chapters at a time. We could spend half the time discussing the reading material in Wild Mind and then the other half the time discussing what individual practices we did and their outcomes.

So if I went on a wilderness hike with the intention to develop/get in contact with my south facet for example, I could share what I did, how it went, and what I learned. We could then do this for everyone in the group.

We may find we need to change format as the MMG progresses, which would be fine too. There's always some learning curve with getting the best format.

avalok

Post by avalok »

OutOfTheBlue wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:13 pm
I'd suggest you give this book a try as well before deciding
@OutOfTheBlue, thank you for taking the time to respond to my concern. I intend to start listening to Wild Mind this weekend and make a decision ASAP.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:37 am
Thanks, @OutOfTheBlue, your help is much appreciated.

What I had in mind for this MMG group was to use Discord for its free video conferencing feature and to schedule an hour (or maybe two depending on schedules) once a month to start with. I figured we could go over Wild Mind a few chapters at a time. We could spend half the time discussing the reading material in Wild Mind and then the other half the time discussing what individual practices we did and their outcomes.

So if I went on a wilderness hike with the intention to develop/get in contact with my south facet for example, I could share what I did, how it went, and what I learned. We could then do this for everyone in the group.

We may find we need to change format as the MMG progresses, which would be fine too. There's always some learning curve with getting the best format.
@AnalyticalEngine, thank you sharing this. Sounds good, let's start as you say and we can modify or experiment as we go.

I've created a Discord group and will send invites soon by PM. Need to set a few more things up and familiarize myself a bit more with the platform from an active role perspective.
avalok wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:33 pm
@OutOfTheBlue, thank you for taking the time to respond to my concern. I intend to start listening to Wild Mind this weekend and make a decision ASAP.
@avalok, glad you're taking up this suggestion, whatever your decision in the end. Don't worry, there is still some time.

I too listened to Wild Mind's audiobook version the first time around, and I've found it read in such a flat and soulless manner that it doesn't make it justice, but the text richness and aliveness still came through somehow… So hopefully for you too!