Hello from Andy

Say hello!!
andy

Hello from Andy

Post by andy »

Hello,

Long-time lurker (~3 years) who decided to finally make an account. I used to read C40's journal which was quite inspiring. I will most likely start a journal at the end of the month to have monthly updates. Hopefully, I can keep myself accountable.

About me: M, 34 (almost 35), live in US currently but have lived and worked in Germany & Thailand as an adult. Lived in S. Korea and Australia briefly when I was younger. Married for 2 years and currently have two dogs. Work in accounting/finance currently but took the long way to get here. Have worked various jobs prior (housekeeper, ESL teacher, front desk clerk, etc.) Currently saving about 50% of after tax income but spend way too much on rent. Goal is to semi-retire by 45. I will add all the #s and details in the journal.

Hobbies: hanging out with wife, investing/portfolio management, trading, reading fantasy fiction, and playing guitar. Also taking sailing lessons in the summer. Need to get back into exercising as well.

Nice to meet everyone.

mooretrees

Re: Hello from Andy

Post by mooretrees »

Welcome! I'm sure your semi-retirement plans will change once you get a journal going here and start making progress on increasing skills and reducing your reliance on money.

I hear you on the rent, we're looking forward to really reducing our housing costs this year and I think it'll be a game changer. Sounds like you've had an interesting life and I look forward to reading your journal!

The step from lurker to journal poster is tough so good job (don't ask me how many times I rewrote my first journal!) :roll: making the leap.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Nice to meet you too, Andy! You seem adventurous, with all the jobs you have tried and countries you have lived in. I am also looking forward to reading your journal!

And I am curious: what are your favorite fantasy fictions and songs to play on the guitar? (Please, don't mind about my curiosity if you don't want to answer!!)

I hope that you will find that journaling constitutes a practical way to enforce your self accountability.

andy

Post by andy »

Hello to both of you! Excited to join the community. Let's see, for fantasy fiction, if I had to recommend one right now, I'd go with the Cradle series by Will Wight. His most recent book in the series has 4.8 stars on Goodreads with almost 9k reviews (really rare to be that universally liked on that site). For guitar, it's tough because there are so many good bands out there. A few go-to songs currently are 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins, Blackbird - Beatles, California - Joni Mitchell, & Twisted Logic by Coldplay (this is older Coldplay when they were a tad cooler).

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

andy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:54 pm
Let's see, for fantasy fiction, if I had to recommend one right now, I'd go with the Cradle series by Will Wight.
I visited the website of Will Wight; he seems like a humorous guy. Thank you for recommending the book series, if I encounter it at the library, I will give it a try.