Doing Taxes with TurboTax - Mac mini

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Married2aSwabian

Doing Taxes with TurboTax - Mac mini

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Since it’s getting to be that time of year, I’ve started getting paperwork in order to do our taxes on TurboTax again. I’ve used it for over 20 years with great success. For the past 11 years, we’ve had the same Mac mini! Still runs great - no bugs, no issues.
So last night, I install tt for 2021 tax year and it takes a looooong time. Then, I am informed by the software that next year I will need Big Sur OS in order to run tt.

I guess I’m really stuck at like WL5 or something, because my first thought was, “shit, now we have to buy a new Mac mini”. This after researching and finding out 2014 is the oldest one to run newer OS. My Swabian DW is like, “Can’t you just do it with pencil and paper?”! I think MI and IRS don’t even want anyone paper filing anymore…

Just curious what others are doing and if anyone has had similar Mac issue?

Blackjack

Re: Doing Taxes with TurboTax - Mac mini

Post by Blackjack »

Easy solution. You should be able to switch entirely to the online version of turbotax and skip all this installation mismatch nonsense.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Married2aSwabian wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm
I think MI and IRS don’t even want anyone paper filing anymore…
I like your Swabian! This is what I use every year. Print and mail.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Thanks for the timely post. I've been using the online version of turbotax every year for the last decade and feel like it is an ERE fail. Last year I think they increased the price and even neglected to direct me to the saver's credit with their questions. Fortunately I knew we qualified so I was able to go back and make sure to fill it in.

I'm hesitant to go back to paper because of how long it takes the IRS to process the returns, along with an increase in tax fraud. The free online filing systems seemed pretty buggy to me when I looked into them. What are others doing for their tax prep or services?

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

You can do it the old-fashioned way by filling out forms and mailing them in. You can also do it the "modern" way by filling out the same forms online and submitting them online as well. Or, you can support your favorite capitalist by buying their totally unnecessary software and submitting your tax return that way.

Finally, you can also pay online as well using the third link.

IRS Forms and Instructions
https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions

Free File Fillable Forms (Online)
https://www.freefilefillableforms.com

IRS Tax Payments
https://www.eftps.gov/eftps

Married2aSwabian

Ego wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:47 pm
I like your Swabian!
I have to say that my lovely Swabian DW is often right! …if I would have listened to her more closely re: expenditures since we were first married, I might have been able to retire ten years ago. :)

I won’t run out and buy a new Mac just because of this. Since our tax situation is pretty straightforward, good old pencil and paper may be the way to go again starting next year.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I guess I’m the weenie who just eats the $50-75 cost each year to use TurboTax online. Maybe this year I could do it myself but I was just planning on sticking with the same thing. Mistakes on tax forms generally cost way more than $50.

Dave

Post by Dave »

There is at least one free option for electronic filing. In years past (before I had free access to TurboTax from doing a bit of Uber driving) I used Credit Karma Tax, which is now Cash App Taxes. I haven't used it in a few years, but when I did it could handle simple situations with ease.

Coming to this from the perspective of an ex-CPA who had access to robust tax software, it was definitely limited and I was certain to double check everything. But as I said above, for simple situations I would expect it to handle it fine. And it's probably improved over the years, too.

macg

Post by macg »

Another "free" solution that has been reliable for me, albeit for simple taxes, has been freetaxusa.com

Free for federal, pay for state. Which works for me because my state doesn't have state income tax.

I've been using it for several years now, even when I lived in a state that did have state income tax. I've never had issues, and came up with the same numbers when I did it by hand to verify.

plantingtheseed

Post by plantingtheseed »

Another cheaper option maybe to run a virtual machine using VirtualBox (free): https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

VBox is very easy to configure and run.

Then install the later OS-X or Windows 10 and put turbotax on the virtual machine and do the taxes on that. This will be cheaper than buying new hw.

Some states have free state e-filing and they're very easy to use. It's like online filing for the state.: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/ways-to-file/online/

IRS also has free e-filing, though I've never used it: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do ... s-for-free

macg

Post by macg »

@plantingtheseed has a good idea. I ran an old windows version in a virtual environment for years when I didn't want to part with MS Money, back when they killed that application.

Married2aSwabian

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will save and revisit these for sure early next year!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:54 pm
I'm hesitant to go back to paper because of how long it takes the IRS to process the returns, along with an increase in tax fraud.
I received a notice the other day saying I had not yet filed my 2020 taxes. The form letter said that if I had already sent them I should send another copy. I freaked out for a moment but then looked over my bank records to see that the check I sent along with the forms was cashed a few days after I sent it. This must mean that they are more than a year behind in processing paper submissions.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I am trying out the IRS' e-file for our taxes this year and so far it has been a pain in the ass. The form has to be filled out in some specific manner unique to this electronic version and if there is an error you are given a code. The code they have given me does not appear in their database so I'm waiting for a response from someone so that I can actually file them. They've been rejected 4 times so far. I will be going back to paper next time. Maybe even this time, if it continues to be such a headache.

Married2aSwabian

Sounds like a mess w IRS! I continued to work on ours last weekend - no hurry since we owe quite a bit this year…only to receive a nice notice from TurboTax: one of the forms needed to file your taxes is not yet complete. It’s estimated to be ready by 3/31/22! WTF - why not wait until 4/15?! I figured out last year that interest on some old savings bonds we received as gifts over the years are tax-free if used to pay for higher education. Form 8815 is needed for that. I guess it’s not too common or important to the folks at tt.

@Ego, if I decide to revert to paper next year, maybe I’ll send certified mail, so someone has to sign for it. ;)

tango

Post by tango »

I just ran into this same issue (2012 MacBook) and was about to post, but found this thread.

For the OP, I went with the equivalent H&R Block downloadable software. It’s cheaper than Turdtax, and requires OSX Sierra as a minimum. 5 free federal efiles, but $20 for state efile. You can print the state forms and mail it in, which is what I did. I do taxes for two other people, so downloading is worth it vs. the website, which charges per user (~$50 vs ~$200+). Note the reviews online look bad, but many of the complaints were from months ago (not sure who starts taxes that early…). I was worried, but had little problems. It imported my 2020 Turbotax file fine. The main thing lacking was I couldn’t import 1099s from a few smaller banks/firms, the bigger names were fine. Kind of wish I had switched from Turbotax years ago. They really do lock you in based on fear factor.

Beware of some of the free software that’s not government supported. I believe CreditKarma farms/sells your data in aggregate.

California has CalFile for state efiling, but it’s not linked to the federal filing, so you have to re-enter everything. Speaking of which:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... stepped-in

I get mad/annoyed every year this rolls around, about how these tax companies lobby, monopolize, and force us into this racket. Jealous to hear about other countries where the government sends you your tax forms, all filled out, and you can just sign or modify/dispute it.