Advanced Retroadaptics Podcast

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
AxelHeyst

Re: Advanced Retroadaptics Podcast

Post by AxelHeyst »

NewBlood wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:05 am
Also, thank you for your content, I like all of it but I especially loved the interviews with other ERE-ers.
Well in that case, here's another chat with @mF about DIY Tenure. youtube. :D

(Also here's ep 26 and ep 27, about skillathon stuff, just to keep continuity. I'm not terribly proud of these as podcast episodes, they were part of my experiment to make a video/podcast once a week on skillathon which, uh, didn't work out well in my opinion so I stopped that scheme.)

eta: @jacob thank you for the perspective on posting, it helped me think through my approach. I'll continue posting here with new episodes for those who want to just be subscribed to this thread.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:52 pm
Well in that case, here's another chat with @mF about DIY Tenure. youtube. :D
Yay! Thanks! (both of you).
Will check it out later!

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

@Axel - loving your podcast and wish more EREites will go on because I think ya'll are interesting. Also apologies for misreading your username as Alex for a month!

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Yes! More forumites as guests! Great idea.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Oh well then here: JnG and I recorded an episode about his 20k wordcount megathread on unmet needs in pathological culture.

I've got another one in the hopper, should be coming out April 2.

But I'd love to get more conversations with forumites up! To date the process has been (be chatting with a forum-friend and say "hey, it'd be cool to record this, you down?" and they say yes and then we do it).

If anyone would like to have a conversation on the podcast, hit me up. I expect zero of you to actually do this, so I'm going to have to hunt you down one by one probably. Feel free to throw others under the bus, though - you can ask me to ask someone else to record a session.

And by the way, we don't have to record video. Audio only is fine, I'm sure I can figure out how to tweak your voice so it isn't recognizable, if you'd like to talk but not dox yourself.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

@AH - If you ever want to do a podcast episode on fiction writing, hit me up. :D May or may not be the most relevant topic, but it could be fun!

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

You called my bluff!! Excellent. :D We'll do a thing. Maybe record in person ever since I'll be near you soon.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I could be convinced to participate in the future, though I'm not sure how interesting that would be for others to listen to :)

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:48 pm
@AH - If you ever want to do a podcast episode on fiction writing, hit me up. :D May or may not be the most relevant topic, but it could be fun!
I would really enjoy listening as "deep* writing" is on my horizon in some way, I hope, in the future (*borrowing Cal Newport's nomenclature/meaning here).
2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:05 am
I could be convinced to participate in the future, though I'm not sure how interesting that would be for others to listen to :)
Yes please!

@Axel @G+J I really enjoyed the most recent episode, specifically the continued discussion about our situation/meta-crisis being dire while still containing goodness and fun with lots of "proximal abundance," you could call it. I also agree w you guys that the permaculture metaphor of zones of attention/influence fits better for practical life than a huge list of needs or a web of goals, even if the latter is maybe more interesting. I'd hastily describe the difference as designing an IRL RPG point system vs your daily routine. I can see when an RPG-like perspective could have utility as well, but perhaps in a macro vs micro way? Maybe that's the difference here, WoG is looking at a macro perspective that describes WHY certain behaviors have a higher amplitude of positive impact on our lives/efficient living (homeotelic action) but is not telling is what actions to do or what goals should be on our personal web. Whereas the zones in permaculture is trying to prescriptively build up a sensible daily / weekly / monthly / annual to do list (micro).

Really enjoyed the conversation. Please keep them coming

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

thefOx wrote: Whereas the zones in permaculture is trying to prescriptively build up a sensible daily / weekly / monthly / annual to do list (micro).
Interesting. This is almost exactly like a note I recently made to myself while re-booting GTD (Getting Things Done.)

@Axel@J&G:

Great podcast. Some thoughts/notes I made were:

How do "needs" and "wants" relate to the concept of "solved problem?" As in "Money/sex/water-supply-on-my-permaculture-project is a solved problem for me." How does this relate to stocks/flows and/or intelligent-management/skills in permaculturese? If desire/stoke is related to "wanting to want", how does "not wanting to want" relate to "needing?"

Mostly I was just reflecting on how sometimes something can be a "solved problem' in general terms, even when it isn't a solved problem in concrete terms in the moment. Maybe it depends on where/how the "slack" in the system is stored/maintained?

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

@7:

These are some of the problems I'm grappling with myself. I'm not sure I understand the "solved problem" question. I think the answer is that "solved problems" require a certain amount of maintenance. A certain amount of energy, time and space to upkeep. Thus they are never quite truly solved.

"Not wanting to want" is a harder problem reflecting an internal conflict.... This is also the same to me as "why do we have heterotelic* goals?" which is a question I asked in my journal. I suggest we discuss there so we don't blow up this thread?

*Please tell me if you disagree or I misunderstand you!

If your problem is solved in general but not in the moment then it's not really solved? I think this is the same as what I said above about maintenance. No problem is truly solved. There is no guarantee of anything. Past results do not promise future results. Stocks and flows can always be compromised.

I'm not sure this is relevant at all to what you're saying, but I think the biggest problem is "are you ignoring X or secretly afraid of X being taken away in a manner that will blow up your whole system?"

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:46 pm
Mostly I was just reflecting on how sometimes something can be a "solved problem' in general terms, even when it isn't a solved problem in concrete terms in the moment. Maybe it depends on where/how the "slack" in the system is stored/maintained?
Jin+Guice wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 am
These are some of the problems I'm grappling with myself. I'm not sure I understand the "solved problem" question. I think the answer is that "solved problems" require a certain amount of maintenance. A certain amount of energy, time and space to upkeep. Thus they are never quite truly solved.
"Solved problem" is used in two ways, usually passively solved and actively solved.

Lets say I have a four-legged table where on leg is missing. The problem is that the table will fall over because the forces are unbalanced. You might say the stock of potential energy is unbalanced and therefore there will be a "flow" of forces that tips the table over. (I'm not sure if this level of technobabble is really helpful.)

There are two solutions.

One is to make a leg and affix it the table. The forces are now balanced and the table will hold itself up.

Another is to simply hold up the table by hand and argue that one was standing there anyway and so holding it up is not cost. In that case, it is also a solved problem.

IIRC, people first started arguing about money being a "solved problem" after they convinced themselves that they didn't mind working after all. This argument essentially belongs to the "it's not work if you find your passion"-school of thought.

A useful distinction is how resilient and/or robust a given solution is to perturbations. In other words, how stable is it. We can reintroduce some technobabble at this point. For example, a pyramid balanced on its base is a robust and resilient solution. A pyramid balanced on its tip is not. Both are "solved problems" in the sense that they are valid solutions to the physics, but one is stable and the other is unstable.

Similarly, one can ponder how resilient the various WOG solutions are to various changes. For example, is it easier to lose one's passion or one's portfolio?

Other valuations are also possible. For example, how much does the solution cost in effort or time. How much can be outsourced? Can it be chopped up or is it mostly dependent on one particular person? Is it lightweight? How easy is it to change later? Is it easy to add new parts or does that require a complete redesign?

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Overtime the table will still require maintenance. The table will take up space. It will have to be cleaned with each use. It will eventually need to be re-painted or re-finished. Eventually another piece will break off. Another leg will fall off.

The point is, any solved problem takes some amount of maintenance, even if that maintenance is very slight.

I don't think we are disagreeing.
jacob wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:15 pm
A useful distinction is how resilient and/or robust a given solution is to perturbations. In other words, how stable is it. We can reintroduce some technobabble at this point. For example, a pyramid balanced on its base is a robust and resilient solution. A pyramid balanced on its tip is not. Both are "solved problems" in the sense that they are valid solutions to the physics, but one is stable and the other is unstable.

Similarly, one can ponder how resilient the various WOG solutions are to various changes. For example, is it easier to lose one's passion or one's portfolio?

Other valuations are also possible. For example, how much does the solution cost in effort or time. How much can be outsourced? Can it be chopped up or is it mostly dependent on one particular person? Is it lightweight? How easy is it to change later? Is it easy to add new parts or does that require a complete redesign?
This is what I'm thinking about right now. Some maintenance is always required (I tend to ignore maintenance and storage, a big mistake!) but the amount of maintenance between a table missing a leg and a table that need only be wiped down is gigantic.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jacob wrote:There are two solutions.
The third solution would be to take off the other three legs. ;)

The funny thing is that I was actually thinking about sex, more than money or water on a permaculture project, in terms of "solved problems", because the fact that there is a shortage of young women out by Axel's project came up in the podcast, and I was musing that even though Axel and I would both objectively rate our sex lives at the moment as towards bleak for very different reasons (no shortage of old guys in my locale), both of us would also likely largely regard the realm of sexuality as generally being a "solved problem" in our lives. So, then I started thinking about how this might or might not prove analogous in terms of other stocks/flows, such as money and water.

Anyways, this got me thinking about how most needs/wants are cyclical, and in that sense "unsolvable." Water isn't a problem, it's a solution to the cyclical problem of thirst or irrigation. Money isn't a problem, it's a solution to the cyclical problem of "head tax" or "stuff I want/need to buy." Reasonably attractive men with some old school moves aren't a problem....etc.

When I was 16 in the big '80s, hair care was a cyclical problem which required 40 minutes of my life energy to solve every morning. Theseadays, I spend maybe 5 minutes/day of my life energy on hair care, so relatively a "solved problem." If my only need for the solution of money was "head tax", I would similarly regard it as a "solved problem", because it would require so little of my life energy to "solve again" through the method of "doing work other people want me to do" on a cyclical basis. I don't have to go to the extreme of shaving my head for hair care to be a "solved problem." Obviously, like a member of the leisure class in previous eras, I could even use money as a solution to hair care and pay somebody else to do it for me. Or I could use money to have water shipped in to my desert permaculture project or to meet my sexual needs, etc. But, I also don't have to go to the extreme of having enough money invested to pay somebody to brush my hair for me in the eventuality I lose the use of my arms, or to provide me with a gigolo in the eventuality that I completely lose my charms. IOW, there's also a level on which money provides too universal of a solution (pay some other human to do it for me) to be regarded as a solved problem or solution independent of other problems and solutions. For example, the challenge of solving problems through frugality still remains even if/when funds are adequate to solve the problems by paying another human(s), and pretty much any problem can be reframed as either an intriguing challenge and/or something I'm not rating as a huge concern at this juncture. "How can I creatively redesign/repurpose this 3 legged table?!" or "Huh, guess I'm eating on the floor now. Gotta get back to that interesting math problem and/or return text from reasonably attractive old guy #3."

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

The Animal came back on to talk about their walk most of the way from Canada to Mexico with their not-quite-1yo daughter. His book's coming out soon!