Living on a hidden aluminum boat

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Bz5

Living on a hidden aluminum boat

Post by Bz5 »

I am absolutely obsessed with this site.

Think of this:

Live on a bicycle and commute to work. At the end of the day, bicycle home to the canal, where a hidden canoe set up for living in resides.

Park the bicycle, and get into the canoe to sleep.

How what would it take to fill in this plan? What elements need to be present?

I was initially inspired by small canoes with solar roofs. On a large enough lake on the edges, there would not be a problem. Ingress onto and off the boat is a problem.

Gilberto de Piento

Re: Living on a hidden aluminum boat

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

In another thread you said you want replies to challenge your ideas so I'm adding some concerns below. I like the creative thinking.

If you have an area where you can hide a canoe you can probably hide a tent. Id rather sleep in a tent. Where I'm at if you leave a tent in a park people will assume it belongs to a homeless person and ignore it. People will take a canoe to try to return it to the owner or will steal it.

The canoe I owned had fixed seats too low to lay under. I'm not sure how to sleep in a canoe.

In much of the US the water is going to freeze for long parts of the year

If it rains the canoe is going to fill up unless you have a tent or tarp over the whole thing. I dont know if this is available but you could make one. Unless the tent is very low it will become a sail.

Not much room in a canoe for your stuff if you need to lay in it too.

Some of this could be solved with a bigger boat like a pontoon boat and a tent or other structure on top. Anchor a bit offshore and people won't mess with it, at least where I'm at. I've seen junky old houseboats used this way. Would need to pay registration and follow rules in most places.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There was a journal or thread here dating back ~10 years from someone actually living on a boat (not canoe) offshore and rowing in. It's still to be found here somewhere depending on your google-fu.

The "Great Loop" (intracoastal waterway) has been done in small boats. Flat bottom for coves and beaching. Likely you'll be spending a lot of energy on maintenance. Anchoring. Getting supplies. Paying or staying hidden.

Unless you love being in/on the water, BLM is easier. Also see lackinambitions old journal about buying dirtcheap land in the middle of nowhere. See https://www.cheaprvliving.com/ ... Kirsten Dirksen. If you really want to be in a sinkable vessel, there's stuff too but it's harder to find.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Jacob you may be thinking of @Rachels? viewtopic.php?t=111

This thread is also relevant, about the Hubbards who built a shantyboat and lived on the Ohio River. viewtopic.php?t=6148

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

theanimal wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:09 pm
Jacob you may be thinking of @Rachels? viewtopic.php?t=111
Yes!

Now what's that book about a couple who have spent decades sailing around the world on ~1 JAFI. Ann-something?! Frugal voyager-something? There's always the Pardeys but that's somewhat beyond canoe level.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I didn't know the great loop is a thing. Thats kind of cool.

chenda

Post by chenda »

http://lackingambition.com/?p=423

What @jacob mentioned. The pictures aren't showing anymore but you can probably find a web archive version.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I lived on my 25' wooden sailboat for more than a year in the early 1990s in a free anchorage in Southern California. We spent our honeymoon night on that boat. That was the end of an era. Today the anchorages all have 72 hour limits. I suggested some ideas on what to look for in mooring location here .

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@jacob Fairly sure Annie Hill is who you are thinking about with the ~1 JAFI. She wrote Voyaging on a Small Income.

I can think of all kinds of reasons why living on a canoe like this might not work. But honestly, I think that the only way to truly know if it will work for you is to try it. I think that goes for all of the non-traditional living arrangements.

canoe

Post by canoe »

Came across this video reminding me of this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXa4paAVBM