ERE community on Medium?

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
LetsRetireYoung

ERE community on Medium?

Post by LetsRetireYoung »

Does anybody else here write on Medium? With thousands of folks on this forum, I suspect I'm not the only one. :) Would you like to form a little ERE community there? Personally, I use that platform to write about lean-FIRE and escaping the rat race, but I'm always down to learn about foraging, DIY projects, new lentil recipes :lol: , etc.

If you're a fellow Medium-ite, post your link here, follow the others, and get followers in return. Here is to building more communities on more platforms, eh. :)

To start with, here is my Medium: https://letsretireyoung.medium.com/

fiby41

Re: ERE community on Medium?

Post by fiby41 »

Isn't it limited to being able to read 10 free articles a month?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

It feels like almost every post or thread here is an attempt to promote your blog....stop.

LetsRetireYoung

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:13 am
It feels like almost every post or thread here is an attempt to promote your blog....stop.
That was not my intent. I'm sorry if that was the impression you got. For what it's worth, another member of the community had posted in my journal, asking me to post more discussion topics from my blog here. That's what I've been doing when I started new topics and asked for people's opinions on various aspects of ERE/FIRE. Nothing I've done goes against the forum rules, which I'd studied quite closely.

I'm sorry if my attempts to build new communities and generate new discussions do not meet your high approval.
fiby41 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:50 pm
Isn't it limited to being able to read 10 free articles a month?
Unless you use Chrome's incognito mode. :lol:

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm
Hello @LRY. I have been enjoying your journal and other posts so far. Especially the discussions of lesser known Canadian ER cities. Would it be possible to translate/refine some of your blog content using ERE principles and add to the various threads/discussions on this forum, rather than directing people to an externally linked blog? I look forward to following along on here.
I think there may be a misunderstanding. I was trying to politely ask that you keep the discussion on this forum by adding to the conversation here and not link to external blogs. It seems like I was not explicit enough. I had asked you to translate what you know into ERE principles as that is what most of the (active) part of the forum is trying to do. I certainly do not speak for everyone, but this is why it is suggested you spend time lurking before posting. In the last 6 months are there other users that have linked to external blogs in every other post? The answer is no. If every post has a link to an external blog (for better or worse) this tends to cheapen the discussion as it appears you are trying to draw readers to your blog for SEO or some other purpose (even if this is not your intent). I am here to learn from experts that are many levels higher than me for various things that are discussed on this forum. So I would also not be interested in visiting an external site... the action is here.

LetsRetireYoung

I've got this sneaking suspicion that there are not, in fact, any other Medium community members on this forum. :lol:

Oh well. I'm sorry I misunderstood all y'all. I thought the Frupidity thread (I am not linking to my own post on this very forum lest it causes more offence) was a good start, an ERE-only discussion based on something I had written about earlier, etc.

Again, sincere (if befuddled) apologies to everyone I have annoyed. I'll wind down my involvement on this board (unless some topic looks particularly interesting), and I wish y'all the best. Toodles.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

I've enjoyed your enthusiasm and firmly believe constant new blood with diverse frames of references is necessary for a bulletin board community to survive and thrive.

I wouldn't let the opinions of one or two people (who aren't the owners/mods) dictate whether you participate here. That said, there can be a fine line between enthusiastic participation and spam, and it's fair to consider the opinion of those who think starting multiple self-promotional threads crosses it.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

To be clear. I also think that @LRY's perspective is unique and wanted here. Did not mean to be gatekeeping, just explaining my perspective and how enthusiastic posting with constant links to a personal blog might be interpreted especially when asking for followers directly.

chenda

Post by chenda »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:04 pm
To be clear. I also think that @LRY's perspective is unique and wanted here. Did not mean to be gatekeeping, just explaining my perspective and how enthusiastic posting with constant links to a personal blog might be interpreted especially when asking for followers directly.
Agreed.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I enjoy LRY's writing voice and perspective quite a bit, even encouraged him starting a journal. After a few weeks though, got this vibe after seeing all of the links to his blog.....see it on other forums I frequent too.

LRY, you're a leanFIRE ninja, ERE is very different from leanFIRE. There's a LOT to learn here, and we're definitely a diverse group :) I didn't mean to come across as a dick.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I think it's good to have members who reach out and educate. Nothing wrong with writing some articles, or even talking about how to build and monetize yourself as an authority.

@LRY - I think you'll take more from this community by seeking peers and mentors, rather than presenting as an authority. This isn't a great place to build monetized traffic. There's not much volume and most have moved beyond the FIRE thing. Preaching to the choir and all that.

It is a great place to level your skills and learn from people who have walked your path. Jacob's expressed interest in educating individuals playing your role. I read his response to the frupidity thread as an attempt to mentor.

With the 2010's FIRE bloggers now all ridiculously wealthy, I'd say there's even an opportunity for someone like you. State of the art has evolved here, with very little dissemination to the mass FIRE community. Jacob's doing a bit with his recent talks, but he's targeting a different group. Someone who can bridge that gap (bringing modern ERE concepts into the core FIRE space), can make a big impact.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

We don't want you to leave, @LRY, we just don't like feeling like all we are are metrics to you. A lot of us got a transactional vibe. No need to leave, unless your only reason for being here indeed was to drive traffic to your blog. Stick around, put your feet up, engage, start solid threads like the Frupid one, chill out on the external links a bit, and in a year's time you'll have more consistent traffic to your site because of your respectful engagement here than if you burn a bridge by going guns blazing. +1 what Scott2 said, the more cross-links we have between leanFIRE and ERE, the better.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

FWIW, I prefer members post self-contained information in the forum and not link their own external postings. Another more "popular" early retirement forum has ben bombarded by members pitching their own products with "I just wrote a blog on this subject, please click through my blog and use my affiliate links" and made the forum difficult to utilize. I am from an older generation and discard resources that require me to decide if I'm being provided genuine information/opinion/commentary (ERE forum) or being sold a product or advertisement (FB all other social media).