Green burial as an example of emergent movement design

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Green burial as an example of emergent movement design

Post by jacob »

Another example to show the range that's possible in terms of emergent movement design.

The world has very different burial traditions. Here's a new (or old) one.

In case you haven't heard about so-called "green burial [movement]"---I had only heard about it in passing (haaa!)---see the following Stoa presentation for some contrast&compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o34iLLZSECs

It allows for different motivations (see "why"-vector), e.g. saving money, completing the loops, ... and seems to follow the "4 design constraints" for robust emergence.

chenda

Re: Green burial as an example of emergent movement design

Post by chenda »

Does it mention sky buriel ?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

chenda wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:04 pm
Does it mention sky buriel ?
I don't think so/didn't notice. It was mostly 4ft down w/o a vault. (For those who don't know, in the US the coffin is lowered into a concrete box and then a concrete lid is put on top of it. This is apparently for the sole reason of ensuring that the lawn on top remains flat and mowable---the body decomposes anyway despite embalming, etc. As result a cemetery (or should that be a cement-ary) has a lot of concrete boxes underground. W/o a vault a new grave will have a small mound (the space the coffin takes up) which will then sink down as the coffin/body decomposes over the span of a few months).

chenda

Post by chenda »

Yes I don't think that happens here. Graveyards often end up metres higher than the level of the church after centuries of burials atop one another.