How SD may affect the type of emergence

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

How SD may affect the type of emergence

Post by jacob »

https://www.amazon.com/A-Bend-in-the-Ri ... 679722025/

A Bend in The River is interesting from the perspective of SD and trying to build one-size fits all models for emergence. The whole novel describes a Red culture transitioning into Blue with some Orange from far away (wondrous technology made by strange people, what will they think of next). Red people are continually advised to go into Blue careers, e.g. join the army (learn some structure) rather than getting educated in Orange (this will only make you sad). Similarly owning a business or doing business is considered unsafe/unreliable in the collapsing Red world and so the young are also steered into location independent salary jobs (e.g. pharmacist).

I think this [problem] is particularly critical when devising emergent movements on the internet. Who will be taking it up? And how will they do it? FIRE, for example, is strongly, largely, and almost exclusively appealing to Orange.

Dream of Freedom

Re: How SD may affect the type of emergence

Post by Dream of Freedom »

What does SD stand for? It's always meant South Dakota to me.
jacob wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:19 am
Similarly owning a business or doing business is considered unsafe/unreliable in the collapsing Red world and so the young are also steered into location independent salary jobs (e.g. pharmacist).
Isn't it strange how they say that 90% of businesses fail within 5 years, but they don't apply the same type of thinking to jobs? The average job lasts 4 years. So the average job fails within 4 years according to the same definition of "fail".

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

Most people change jobs because they want to move on to something else. This is the case for some businesses but I would assume the majority of that 90% are closing because it didn't work financially. This is probably closer to being fired.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:07 pm
What does SD stand for? It's always meant South Dakota to me.
Spiral Dynamics. It's a model for cultural change. If you see strange colors being referred to around this subforum it refers to these value-sets.

https://spiraldynamicsintegral.nl/en/red/
https://spiraldynamicsintegral.nl/en/blue/
https://spiraldynamicsintegral.nl/en/orange/

There are more ...

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

ducknald_don wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 pm
I would assume
That is a problem.

It's not the only place there are problems with that umm...piece of research (to be polite). One is that the definition of failure is not what any everyday person would use for failure. For instance, when I was small, I had a babysitter who did her business when her children were small. When the youngest reached first grade she got a job. Was it a failure because they didn't last long? There are a plethora of companies, even publicly traded ones, that have never been profitable. They exist by getting more funding. Are they a success because they continue to exist?

There is no comparison to the nearest comp (jobs). So it just highlights its inadequacies leaving you to assume jobs are better.

Even if there were a comparison, jobs that people apply for but don't get somehow don't count but a business that someone tries but stops immediately does.

There is a ton of noise created when a company reorganizes or buys another company. It's so easy to open and close companies the whole data set is a mess.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to derail the thread so that is all I have to say about that.