The Simple Path to a Lucrative Career - JL Collins

Your favorite books and links
alex123711

The Simple Path to a Lucrative Career - JL Collins

Post by alex123711 »

JL Collins talks about Salesforce as a career in this blog, however it sort of comes across as a paid advertisement in some way, has he 'sold out' or does he make some good points?

https://jlcollinsnh.com/2021/08/04/the- ... ve-career/

2Birds1Stone

Re: The Simple Path to a Lucrative Career - JL Collins

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

While this is published on JL's blog, it's written by Ed Tee, the CEO of ChooseFI.

Yes, SFDC admin is a great way to get into the corporate world without a degree and easily earn 6-figures after just a couple of short years. It's also a boring and unfulfilling job, primarily dealing with permissions, scrubbing data, and making updates/dealing with SFDC's technical support.

It's absolutely a good path to quick money though. Similar to all of the DBA's in the 1990's and early 2000's......could make $150k/yr and work 20 hours a week, but often patching and upgrades need to happen during slow work windows like nights, weekends, holidays, similar with SFDC.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

It does seem a bit stilted, but I don't think he's hiding any ulterior motives. And so what if he is? At he bottom of that post he pushes a separate product, phone service. It's a blog; someone with Collins' track record isn't running a charity at this point.

I like JL Collins. My favorite post of his is this one, and he still managed to miss a couple whoppers. He emphasizes the "screw you, I have all I need and don't give a crap" angle with ER, which I relate to.
2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:21 am
Yes, SFDC admin is a great way to get into the corporate world without a degree and easily earn 6-figures after just a couple of short years. It's also a boring and unfulfilling job, primarily dealing with permissions, scrubbing data, and making updates/dealing with SFDC's technical support.
That said, you do get a lot of the advantages of corporate jobs (401k matching, healthcare) and can stay indifferent to stuff like who's getting promoted over whom and which parts of the company are doing better than others, and are far less useless than HR.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Here's another article and podcast about it:

https://www.sidehustlenation.com/become ... onsultant/

The guy is trying to sell an information product on the topic, so probably understating the down sides.

If money is the only goal, I think it is a valid path. We used Salesforce at my last company. My observation - the admin has a thankless, largely powerless job. If you want to do other types of work, the skills won't be particularly transferable. The demand isn't going away though.