Ego's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Ego

Re: Ego's Journal

Post by Ego »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:11 pm
This is pretty cool. Do you know him personally or has he ever posted? That man is a legend.
I should rephrase that. I believe he lurks here.

He was introduced to the forum by the polymath Terri Schweitzer from Better Humans when she was on the Cool Tools podcast. She talks about Early Retirement Extreme beginning at about 11:50.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Very cool - thanks for sharing. The something from nothing log even got special shout out. :D

It was interesting hearing the forums described by an "outsider" and I thought the discussion was on point. Schweitzer nails it in terms of the variety and depth of the threads here. That is why I ultimately created an account.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Never heard of Hebb's rule...so found this 'cliff note' version if anyone else is not familiar with these topics:
https://thedecisionlab.com/thinkers/neu ... nald-hebb/

Taking a leap here so for those who understand this topic may elaborate further - this rule seems to suggest that we can literally change the neuroplasticity in our brains to acquire habits/behaviors that we want? Ones that fit in to whatever our web of goals are (to tie into ERE). Which would suggest that this is much more efficient then simple willpower....eventually leading to unconscious competence in whatever we desire. For those with deep-rooted mental issues - can Hebb's rule help you here as well or at some point are the connections too strong?

@ego

Been too curious about this statement in your journal on page 1:
I consider myself incredibly fortunate that I was somehow wired to love to do the things that strengthen all three strands of the braid. Like everyone, I find it challenging to resist the temptation to do some things that weaken them, but I try to avoid discussing those challenges because of Hebb's rule. Neurons that fire together wire together. Repeated firing creates stronger connections.
Are you always this deliberate in what you choose to challenge / not challenge? Think and not think about? Wondering if this form of living very deliberately is in of itself a strong connection. This has some very positive implications...

For example, at one point last year I got myself deep into the rabbit hole of climate change and humanity's future suffering. Basically what you would call a 'Doomer' and it took a lot of deliberate effort to climb myself out of that hole with new connections as I had fallen into a depression. Reinforcing behavior in the doomer way is what they call 'doom-scrolling.' I had that before I knew there was a term for it: https://www.health.com/mind-body/what-is-doomscrolling

Eventually I re-wired connections and started thinking about 'solutions' (and importantly only reading about solutions) which helped me climb out...I deliberately found new new connections and let the old wiring rust out. Climate change is whole different topic but lets just say I'm at the acceptance stage with this.

I'm more curious if Hebb's rule is something you practice in your everyday life ... I can see how its implications can be used in many different areas from what we're thinking (and what attitudes take over), to learning, to how we practice using our hands for skill-based jobs, to even how we might prevent age related brain disorders.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Lemur wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:13 pm
....this rule seems to suggest that we can literally change the neuroplasticity in our brains to acquire habits/behaviors that we want? Ones that fit in to whatever our web of goals are (to tie into ERE).
Yes! At least that is the way I see it. It is also the reason I am so persistent when someone suggests characteristics are fixed.
Lemur wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:13 pm
Are you always this deliberate in what you choose to challenge / not challenge? Think and not think about?
I wish I could claim that I am always deliberate with this. Let's say I strive to be consistent and deliberate.

I see it as a combination of avoiding the autopilot where attention dictates direction (a form of taxis /or target fixation) while cultivating the stimuli, experiences, challenges and the various forms of nourishment that encourage growth in the directions I want to grow.

Once I came to the conclusion that the subconscious mind is the place where decisions are actually made and the subconscious is not something I directly control, I began making a conscious (hah!) effort to influence it in the one way I can, by feeding it carefully. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say that it made the decision. Now if I could somehow feed it so that it is more consistent.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:13 pm
Once I came to the conclusion that the subconscious mind is the place where decisions are actually made and the subconscious is not something I directly control, I began making a conscious (hah!) effort to influence it in the one way I can, by feeding it carefully.
That's my first takeaway, glad you started a journal!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks guitarplayer!

I was rehired to teach the two indoor cycling classes per week that I have been attending the past few months. The class consists of mostly type-A, hard working, early morning folks so it should go well. They asked me to teach four classes a week but I declined. I learned long ago that anything more than two starts to feel like a job. I was able to recommend a friend for the others so we should be able to cover for one another if we are going away. Mrs. Ego added a Pilates class to her teaching repertoire.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I learned long ago that anything more than two starts to feel like a job.
I have also found this to be true with very different activities. My first thought was that having a day in between that returned to being totally "me" directed was the primary factor, but then MWF or TTS ought to work, and it just doesn't. I actually think that, for instance, doing 4 quite different "hobbies/avocations/community works that pay" 2x/week might have less of this effect than just doing 1 activity 3x/week.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sold at the swap meet today. Mostly I sold the junk that I previously bought with the intention of reselling online but for whatever reason was not able to. In other words, clearing out the deadstock. I enjoy the wheeling and dealing but selling this stuff is my least favorite thing to do because it represents all the bad decisions I made over the year. I probably should have waited until next weekend when everyone has money but I was just in the mood to do some housecleaning.

I arrived at 5am and figured I'd do a little shopping before the sun came up. The trashpicker vendor behind me was setting up in the dark and I used my headlamp to illuminated a pile of antique musical instruments in their original cases in the bed of his pickup. I quickly grabbed two saxophones that appeared to be complete. My light attracted the attention of other buyers and when I asked the price for the two saxes, his answer of $70 for both caused people to grab the French horn, trombone, trumpet and others before I had a chance. I bought the saxes and placed them in the back of my stall with the intention of doing research when I got some free time.

After sunup I unloaded and the frenzy began. I was selling stuff cheap to make it disappear and the buyers were making little piles all around my stall. One guy piled stuff near the saxophones and opened each case to have a look. I was giving out prices left and right. When he offered $75 each for the saxes I didn't give it much though other than that I was doubling my money in an hour. I agreed and didn't think about it again until just now when I looked up what vintage saxes sell for on ebay. Another bad decision. Oh well. Live and learn.

Ego

Post by Ego »

New addition to the gym. 50lb scale calibration weight. $20. Not the perfect kettlebell alternative but good enough.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Great find! At least you will know *precisely* how many overhead lbs for your workout.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Gerontocracy Rant

Back to teaching indoor cycling at the Y. Since returning I have been pondering a major demographics shift in membership. Pre-covid the focus was on young families, as it should be. Back then we offered free childcare so it worked really well for parents. My class used to be full of (mostly) young mothers. Now we charge for childcare and have increased the price of family memberships. But seniors with certain medicare plans - the group least in need of subsidized memberships - are free. So the Boomer seniors are everywhere and the number of young families are down by about 50%.

Today a Boomer told me that my class was too hard and the music too loud. Hah! Good luck with that. I've got a good group of Xers and older Millennials along with a handful of fit, hardworking Boomers for good measure.

When will we reach a time when we realize that senior discounts need to be ended?

C40

Post by C40 »

Yeah! I recommend printing and posting the rant on the YMCA door, Martin Luther style. (Perhaps anonymously though if you want to keep teaching there)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Ego wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:52 pm
When will we reach a time when we realize that senior discounts need to be ended?
Have long agreed. They have all the money! :|

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Just rename the class "milf cycling" and you'll be fine.

Ego

Post by Ego »

For decades Bill the book man owned the best used bookstore in the city. The place was perpetually cluttered with a hodge-podge of artistic types sitting on stools doing a lot of talking, coffee drinking and not much buying. When the book world began changing Bill sold the building, bought a 1960s bread delivery van and began selling books at the swap meet. Over the past decade he has become a short, bald, happy fixture at the swap.

I've been friends with Bill for a while. As soon as the swap meet opens we dig for the things we find interesting. He will point me toward camping gear and art. I send him in the direction of African beads (he is an expert), anything pre-1950s Japan, and of course books. If I buy a lot of bulky stuff I store it under the bread van and later shuttle it to my car.

Continuing the tradition his stall has become a place for interesting conversation. Recently Bukowski has been on Bill's mind. The last few times I showed up he steered the conversation to Bukowski's poetry. I've never read a word of it and didn't have much to add.

Today as we passed one another while digging for treasures Bill pointed to me and said, "I dug something up for you. Come by later." I passed a few times as he set up his wobbly plywood tables and displayed piles of old books. When he finished I stopped by his stall. It had already attracted a retired machinist and a woman who collects cookbooks but hates cooking. We talked for a while about Japanese block prints (he is also an expert) and vintage pocket knives (one of the sitters is an expert) before he steered the conversation to Bukowski's poetry. He reached a hand behind him into the bread truck then handed me this book as he said, "Reminded me of you".

He knows that I neither drink nor play the piano so I took it as a compliment.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Ego wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:12 pm
He knows that I neither drink nor play the piano so I took it as a compliment.
:lol: Your stories are very entertaining Ego. Thank you.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks @dav. Glad you enjoyed it.

Feature Not a Bug

Some of the core group who used to attend my cycling class moved to CycleBar during covid. I ran into one of them and she described it as loud, lights and extremely difficult. A few days later I had three Boomer complainers come up after one of my classes. Too loud. Too hard. To many flashing lights.

The realization hit me like a flash. Millennials and Zs took the exact things their parents hate and made them features of new, specialized gyms. I can think of at least one yoga version of this phenomenon, a bootcamp version and a bunch of weight training places.

The following day I tried to swim laps but got kicked out of both pools by old ladies wielding water wienies about to begin water aerobics classes. Screw this. I gave my two-weeks notice.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Hang in there Ego. The dinos will die soon (no offense to dinos).

Loud irreverent jam for your final weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKQSQSVVos
(about the music industry...but same same).

Ego

Post by Ego »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:01 am
Loud irreverent jam for your final weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKQSQSVVos
Hah! Love it. I finished the class with one of my favorites today https://youtu.be/BFst2JlVnrA

A few days ago I decided to listen to a podcast while grinding up a two-week batch of green smoothies. It takes about an hour and I usually opt for TWiV or Rhonda Patrick but decided to try the Chuck Palahniuk interview on Joe Rogan. It was terrible. I gave up after about ten minutes and switched to another Rogan interview. The singer Jewel. I've since listened in 15-20 minute chunks and finally finished it today. Incredible. Lots of ERE related content. Lots of alternative methods for dealing with hard times. Recommended.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2TRBNG ... 3abb3f4456

take2

Post by take2 »

Ego wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:52 pm
decided to try the Chuck Palahniuk interview on Joe Rogan. It was terrible. I gave up after about ten minutes and switched to another Rogan interview. The singer Jewel. I've since listened in 15-20 minute chunks and finally finished it today. Incredible. Lots of ERE related content. Lots of alternative methods for dealing with hard times. Recommended.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2TRBNG ... 3abb3f4456
100% agree on both points. Couldn’t listen to Chuck, couldn’t stop listening to Jewel. I’m a pretty regular listener to JRE for the last 4-5 years or so and think Jewel is the best episode by far.