Ego's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
loutfard

Re: Ego's Journal

Post by loutfard »

I made a profit on a transcontinental flight once.

The first leg of this cheap flight was actually a high speed train link. The airline called me the evening before to announce this leg was cancelled. I told them I'd make it work -at their expense- by taking a taxi. My father heard and insisted on driving me there instead. The airline couldn't refund that though, so I did something questionable. I went to the local taxi company with a bottle of good wine, and had them write me a 350€ taxi bill. I bought a nice present for my father with the airline refund.

The flight itself had a serious delay. The EU compensation more than compensated the flight price.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Disjointed noted:

I have friends (a couple in their mid-70s) who spend a few days each year at a personalized anti-aging, longevity clinic. Their focus is on healthspan. They have been going to this clinic for many years, and the proof is in the pudding. They are at a place physically and mentally where I would like to be at their age.

They came back from the clinic this year enthusiastic about one of the additions to their routine. A weekly dose of Senolytics. They know we are interested in healthspan as well, and over the course of several weeks, I had an ongoing conversation with the husband.

Mrs. Ego and I are generally skeptical about such interventions, and each time I returned home, we would talk about it. We would read the papers he mentioned, and then I would go back and tactfully discuss our objections with my friend. I was surprised by his level of knowledge. Apparently, one of the fundamentals of this expensive clinic is patient education. Finally, after three weeks of discussion, I became increasingly interested and was happy when Mrs. Ego agreed that we give it a try by purchasing the supplements.

-----

Last week, Mrs. Ego was talking with friends who had watched the new Netflix series on plant-based eating. They asked how we began our plant-based ways. She told the story about living in Africa and realizing that we had not eaten meat or dairy for months. At the time, she was more enthusiastic about it than I, and she asked me if I would be willing to give plant-based eating a try permanently. I thought for a moment, shrugged and said, "Sure, let's do it."

-----

Today, I was reading Mark Mason's weekly email, where he offers the relationship quality test.
https://markmanson.net/breakthrough/057 ... ality-test
ONE THING FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT
The quickest way to gauge the quality of your relationships is to make a positive change. The people who are with you for the right reasons will behave the same but the people with you for the wrong reasons will quickly make themselves known.

TWO THINGS FOR YOU TO ASK YOURSELF
If harming yourself earns you approval from the people around you, what does that say about the people around you? If helping yourself upsets the people around you, again, what does that say about the people around you?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

As you implied with your note that increased healthspan being a shared interest/value within your relationship, and as Manson also strongly implied with his "weird" examples in the article, one's perspective on the vector of positive change is going to be quite dependent on field of values, or even simple preferences. If any of us take a look at a list of 200 common human values, we could do the usual exercise towards personal growth of clarifying our own top 3 or 10, but we could also note our own personal bottom 3 or 10, while acknowledging that these are values that many other humans hold dear, and positive change for those humans would be akin towards improvement within that field of values. For instance, just within the Ps, I have little interest in Patriotism, Professionalism, and/or Power, but I can still hold some degree of empathy for those who are striving for positive change in those fields/structures, without simultaneously striving to exert my limited reserve of life energy in the same direction(s.) At a somewhat higher level, I can even acknowledge that it is unlikely that I myself am in complete antipathy to any value likely to show up on a list of Top 200 human values, while not currently choosing* that vector in alignment with personal growth.

It is also the case that as we strive for positive change along one vector of value, we may discover that there is an unrecognized conflicting, underlying, or transcending value vector which we value more. For ridiculous example, you value healthspan, but if a magical genie granted your wish for increased healthspan by simply turning you into a female, you might come to sudden, strong recognition that you actually value your gender identity/masculinity more than healthspan. Another, much less ridiculous example would be a man I dated who was very devoted to Buddhist spirituality with his wife until she left him to become a Buddhist nun.

*Putting aside issues related to assumption of free will. For example, you did not choose to travel to Africa in order to be influenced towards adoption of plant-based diet, but it was to some degree causative of that effect when combined with other factors that primed your "decision." Similarly, I did not choose to join this forum in order to be influenced towards adoption of practice of polyamory, but an article posted here was the triggering event.

chenda

Post by chenda »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:05 am
Another, much less ridiculous example would be a man I dated who was very devoted to Buddhist spirituality with his wife until she left him to become a Buddhist nun.
I suppose she took the doctrine of non-attachment to it's logical conclusion.

J_

Post by J_ »

Ego wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:04 am
I have friends (a couple in their mid-70s) who spend a few days each year at a personalized anti-aging, longevity clinic. Their focus is on healthspan. They have been going to this clinic for many years, and the proof is in the pudding. They are at a place physically and mentally where I would like to be at their age.

They came back from the clinic this year enthusiastic about one of the additions to their routine. A weekly dose of Senolytics. They know we are interested in healthspan as well, and over the course of several weeks, I had an ongoing conversation with the husband.

Mrs. Ego and I are generally skeptical about such interventions, and each time I returned home, we would talk about it. We would read the papers he mentioned, and then I would go back and tactfully discuss our objections with my friend. I was surprised by his level of knowledge. Apparently, one of the fundamentals of this expensive clinic is patient education. Finally, after three weeks of discussion, I became increasingly interested and was happy when Mrs. Ego agreed that we give it a try by purchasing the supplements.
Interesting Ego! Like to hear what your findings are taking those supplements.

Dr Greger in his recent book "how not to Age" goes far in all the aspects to reach a good healthspan. He discusses also the details of the ingredients of senolytics. But does not advice a special drug, as the bulk of those wonderful names like fisetin, quercetin, piperlongumine are all in plant food to find.

I follow Gregers advised way of living already for a very long time, and (like yours and mrs Ego's), my health and fitness is at 76 very good.

Ego

Post by Ego »

J_ wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:20 am
But does not advice a special drug, as the bulk of those wonderful names like fisetin, quercetin, piperlongumine are all in plant food to find.
@J. Thank you. Yes, I agree. They are all found in plants. My initial reluctance was based on that fact. But the more I read, the more I was convinced that a larger weekly, monthly or semi-annual dose might be helpful to clear the senescent cells that accumulate as we age. They refuse to die, yet continue to secrete damaging, inflammation-producing cytokines. Senescent cells also play important roles in the body, so completely eliminating them would not be good.

Overall, the point of my post was more about relationships than nutrition. The effects of senescent cells on the body seems to be a good metaphor for Mason's point about being aware of the effects of relationships in our lives. Some relationships, like synolytic cells, refuse to die but continue to produce toxicity long after their beneficial effects have ceased. Senolytic people?

In the past, we reset every three-years, selling everything and leaving for a year. Those resets provided the opportunity to reconsider relationships and selectively add them back upon return. This is the first time we have stayed in one place for so long and we are becoming increasingly aware of the senolytic people in our lives.

That alone may explain my enthusiasm for senolytic inhibitors. :D

J_

Post by J_ »

Ego wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:21 am
Overall, the point of my post was more about relationships than nutrition. The effects of senescent cells on the body seems to be a good metaphor for Mason's point about being aware of the effects of relationships in our lives. Some relationships, like synolytic cells, refuse to die but continue to produce toxicity long after their beneficial effects have ceased. Senolytic people?

In the past, we reset every three-years, selling everything and leaving for a year. Those resets provided the opportunity to reconsider relationships and selectively add them back upon return. This is the first time we have stayed in one place for so long and we are becoming increasingly aware of the senolytic people in our lives.

That alone may explain my enthusiasm for senolytic inhibitors. :D
Thank you for elaborating about (your) relationship.

As you and mrs Ego reset(ed) every three-years, mrs J_ and me "reset" about 2 to 4 times per year over the last decades.

Every year we discuss where we want to live (in Europe mostly) and for how long. We note that easily coming to an agreement helps a lot to keep our relation in good shape. Sometimes we do things apart: eg my adventures as crew-member on ocean going sailing-trips. At the moment we use three (small) homes and a little motorboat. A big reason for those changes is to live in the best climate and sport environments for maintaining good health.

As an explanation for our enthusiasm for staying "healthy" as a couple and as two bodies.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@ego stopping by to say i found some of the stuff you posted on the forum over the years inspiring and some references life altering, much thanks for contributions.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@guitarplayer. Thank you!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Chris wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:26 pm
AirHelp. They take care of the submission and all the back-and-forth for a fee. Don't expect it to be a quick process!
I tried to submit it myself with the airline. Our situation was strange, with Italian passports but a US bank account and US address. The airline just ignored me. So I resubmitted with airhelp and they relented. Just got the deposit of $840.50. Thank you for the tip!

Chris

Post by Chris »

Nice! Even better that it was relatively quick.

rube

Post by rube »

Nice! Indeed, that didn't take too long (compared to some of my experiences).

Ego

Post by Ego »

I just learned about the Discover and Go program at our local library. Many libraries in California use it to distribute free family passes to local events, museums and some local attractions. In our city they offer tickets to some really good events including the ballet, university sports events and some tourist attractions. One of the listed attractions charges a regular price of $74 for adults and $64 for kids.

https://discoverandgo.org/

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Dunno if it's universal, but many Chicago museums have specific days of the year where entrance is free for in-state residents. Only downside is that schools like to hit those (typically week)days as well. Here's a random list: https://do312.com/p/chicago-free-museum-days

I suspect every state has something like this.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Ego wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:04 am
Disjointed noted:

...They came back from the clinic this year enthusiastic about one of the additions to their routine. A weekly dose of Senolytics. They know we are interested in healthspan as well, and over the course of several weeks, I had an ongoing conversation with the husband.

Mrs. Ego and I are generally skeptical about such interventions, and each time I returned home, we would talk about it. We would read the papers he mentioned, and then I would go back and tactfully discuss our objections with my friend. I was surprised by his level of knowledge. Apparently, one of the fundamentals of this expensive clinic is patient education. Finally, after three weeks of discussion, I became increasingly interested and was happy when Mrs. Ego agreed that we give it a try by purchasing the supplements. ...
A large fraction of my supplement routine arguably double as senolytics. The thing about senolytics is almost by definition they have anti-metabolic/lifestyle disease properties, which since that was a real and present situation for me, is how I found my way to them.

I can't produce hard scientific data from my N=1 experiment, but so far I have zero regrets at the expense, I feel really good, and my lab numbers keep improving. Hope you update over time with your experiences.

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

jacob wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 am
Dunno if it's universal, but many Chicago museums have specific days of the year where entrance is free for in-state residents. Only downside is that schools like to hit those (typically week)days as well. Here's a random list: https://do312.com/p/chicago-free-museum-days

I suspect every state has something like this.
Also worth looking for search terms like "$city_name free museum pass" and also use your local county library so "$county_name library museum pass".

Same deal for "art walk" and also "tool library".

https://www.sdcl.org/discoverandgo/
Tons of free passes ^^

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 am
Dunno if it's universal, but many Chicago museums have specific days of the year where entrance is free for in-state residents. Only downside is that schools like to hit those (typically week)days as well.
The museums in the park do something similar with rotating Tuesday's free, but they get absolutely bonkers with long lines and school groups.
IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:57 am
I can't produce hard scientific data from my N=1 experiment, but so far I have zero regrets at the expense, I feel really good, and my lab numbers keep improving. Hope you update over time with your experiences.
Same here. We are willing to spend on health. All of our labs continue to look good. We do not add sugar to anything, but I have added trehalose to my daily routine for it's neuroprotective and autophagy inducing properties. It is the sugar in mushrooms and seaweed but does not cause the same spike in blood sugar as other glucose molecule arrangements.
thef0x wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:52 pm
https://www.sdcl.org/discoverandgo/
Tons of free passes ^^
Fun fact. The county offers $5 library cars to out of state visitors. I am kicking myself for not getting the Los Angeles & Santa Monica Public Library cards while we were there. LA is the only one around that offers free access to The Washington Post and I like to read Josh Rogin.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Ego wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:09 pm
Same here. We are willing to spend on health. All of our labs continue to look good. We do not add sugar to anything, but I have added trehalose to my daily routine for it's neuroprotective and autophagy inducing properties. It is the sugar in mushrooms and seaweed but does not cause the same spike in blood sugar as other glucose molecule arrangements.
I'll have to look into trehalose. I switched over from stevia (which I didn't much like) to allulose for it's gut health, metabolic/insulin sensivity, and potential neuroprotective effects (as pertains to metabolic dysfunction as a contributor to dementia). But I'm always willing to split duties if something adds a complimentary benefit. I structure a big chunk of my lifestyle around autophagy, which is another vector where I've overlapped with senolytics and/or the longevity space. I do take a seaweed extract with fucoidan (a SIRT 6 activator for DNA repair and neuroprotection). Seems like nature is full of magic. Hope it works out great for the two of you and we're both still posting here 50-60 years from now :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:12 pm
Hope it works out great for the two of you and we're both still posting here 50-60 years from now :)
Thank you! We hope the same for you. So far, so good.

I like the idea of Longevity Escape Velocity, the point at which each incremental advance buys the time for the next advance. Until then, I hope to not do anything that causes irreparable harm, to maintain what I've got, and perhaps improve a bit if I can.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Ego wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:11 am
I just learned about the Discover and Go program at our local library. Many libraries in California use it to distribute free family passes to local events, museums and some local attractions. In our city they offer tickets to some really good events including the ballet, university sports events and some tourist attractions. One of the listed attractions charges a regular price of $74 for adults and $64 for kids.

https://discoverandgo.org/
The CA state parks pass is pretty cool too.

I ended up with a Sonoma County Library card. I used my house sitter’s address ;).
They never asked for any ID.