Ego's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Ego

Re: Ego's Journal

Post by Ego »

@SWB, they have treated us extremely well so I am happy to deal with these mini emergencies when they appear. This one was actually kind of fun to figure out.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@Ego Oh, that shows through (the fun aspect). I reread my comment and it was a bit weird. I think I've been working in corporate America/startup land too long where a lot of people don't care. I think it'll take a while to deprogram my brain once I move on. This is all in my head but just realized my "world view" is probably off kilter a bit.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@SWB, it wasn't weird at all. Part of the reason I posted it was to remind future-me that I had to solve the problem by digging around in the muck at the bottom of the well - it was pretty disgusting - and yet I was perfectly happy to do it. I enjoy building these reciprocal relationships where we look out for one another's best interest. It is easy to forget.

The storm continued and the sump worked perfectly so I decided not to replace it. I just ordered another pump so I have it on hand if the original fails again.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Thanks for posting @Ego, I find your stories inspiring.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@Ego oh good, I realize I'm being chatty but I appreciate it. And what @guitarplayer wrote is exactly what I was trying to say!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Well, thank you both!

Today Mrs. Ego looked out the window and said, "I think the neighbor threw out a .....," as she grabbed the binoculars we keep on the window sill. "It looks like a...... I think it is a .... yes, it's a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Go out and get it. Hurry!"

She's bossy like that. I ran out and grabbed it. Someone used it to clean up after a party with streamers. They clogged it. But it works. I will leave it to Mrs. Ego to solve. It is a special pet version. They sell for $300 used.

Ego

Post by Ego »

This afternoon a woman purchased a painting I had listed on ebay. It was by a relatively unknown artist but was really well done so I listed it with the hope that someone would take a good look at it and have to have it. She sent a message telling me how excited she was to find the painting because it was done by her grandfather. He lived and painted here in SoCal in the sixties. She lives across the country and has never seen any of his paintings available for sale. It really is a great feeling to reconnect this painting with someone who will cherish it.

C40

Post by C40 »

Wow! That's cool. Did you ... uhh... give her a discount?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hah! I had it listed so that she could have made a best offer. She didn't bother. She just bought it at the full asking price.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

That's a cool story. She was smart to purchase rather than making an offer because someone else could have taken the buy it now option in the meantime.

Ego

Post by Ego »

A few months ago a tenant who was subsidizing her income by sugaring moved out. She dumped a brand new $700 pair of women's boots in the trash, still in the box, with the receipt and bag from the store. Mrs. Ego found them, listed them and just sold them for $100. I would be willing to bet that the guy who bought them is going to re-sugar them.
Ego wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:05 pm
So, we are looking ahead and considering a change. Our routine for the past 20 years has involved a year of travel followed by three years staying in one place and doing things that interest us like learning new skills, taking fun part-time jobs and trying to become better at just plain living. We are now thinking of changing things a bit.

Our relationship with the property management gig couldn't be better. We are happy with the job and they are happy with us. We know the building well and have the systems set so that we could - in theory - leave for a month in the spring and another month in the fall while managing things from afar.
We got approval for a month off in the fall. Test run.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Ego wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:58 pm
We got approval for a month off in the fall. Test run.
Nice! Where to?

Also, why did Mrs. Ego sell the boots at such a great discount?

C40

Post by C40 »

That's funny about the re-sugaring :-D I guess there is an emerging economy of men now shopping for good deals on fashion designer products for women

How did you know that the girl is sugaring? From conversations with her?

I think the one-month trips are a great idea. This way you don't have to go through the logistical efforts of closing up shop at home, and then setting up again. There is the other side of prepping for travel, but that is simpler.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@Theanimal, The Balkans along the Adriatic... is the plan for now. Flights are expensive right now. Sheesh.

She had listed the boots a while ago and gradually lowered the price until someone bit.

We have a lot of turnover right now. Someone recently left a coffee table by the trash. Today I took a photo and listed it on craigslist in the free section. A construction worker texted and said he would pick it up after work. He just stopped by. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He sheepishly admitted that he crosses the border for work every day and trolls the craigslist free ads during lunch, searching for things to take back across with him to resell. I told him I would call him when we get more stuff.
C40 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:17 pm
How did you know that the girl is sugaring? From conversations with her?

I think the one-month trips are a great idea. This way you don't have to go through the logistical efforts of closing up shop at home, and then setting up again. There is the other side of prepping for travel, but that is simpler.
Oh, it was obvious. She made no attempt to hide it. Funnily enough, when she applied for the apartment, she viewed it with her mother who was very concerned about the safety and security of "her little girl". Somehow it didn't occur to mom to ask her little girl where the money was coming from to pay the rent.

Yeah, the month long trip should be much simpler than getting rid of everything to travel for a while, but I am still slowly weeding through my stuff and selling things I haven't used in a while. It is amazing how much clutter we've accumulated in three years.

Ego

Post by Ego »

For the past three years I noticed that in the spring I have been getting the post-nasal drip associated with mild seasonal allergies. This year I went full-on exposure therapy, shifting my run from the beach to the trails among the wildflowers in the park. Some of my trails have been fully engulfed with flowers. The cacti are covered in atún. This morning I brought my phone along for some photos. The wildfires are going to be insane this year.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

In Greece, the mature fruit of these cacti (Prickly pear I think it is called? Figue de Barbarie in French) is considered a delicacy. Didn't know the pad to be edible though. Much care should be taken when dealing with the thorny skin. Do you eat it around your parts, Ego?

Ego

Post by Ego »

@Outoftheblue, yes we eat the atún and nopal. They sell it here in some produce markets trimmed of the thorns. Nopal has a somewhat slimy texture like okra.

take2

Post by take2 »

Are the ones in your photos wild / up for grabs? You can pick them wearing gloves and then use a flame to burn off the spikes/thorns. A powerful lighter or a gas stove works just fine.

The fruits are a bit too sweet for my liking but make excellent jam.

Ego

Post by Ego »

No, they are in the park so not harvestable. We buy them at the produce market. The fruits go well in my morning smoothie.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

How’s the allergy treatment going?