Berkey Filters?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Salathor

Berkey Filters?

Post by Salathor »

Having done some research (ie., read marketing material), my wife and I are interested in a Berkey filter. We're currently happy drinking tap water, but the place we are planning on moving to may have much older/self-installed pipes, drink from a hose, etc. Do you think they they actually do anything to be worth the price, or is it better to just stick with the tap?

white belt

Re: Berkey Filters?

Post by white belt »

A lot depends on the quality of the tap water. I have a Berkey and I do notice that it will make water taste better in general, probably because it removes chlorine. It also is an essential tool in an emergency situation to ensure you can turn regular water into potable drinking water at all times. It’s very popular with off gridders and permaculture folks in general (e.g. Rob Greenfield and Brad Lancaster both use one). Jacob has one as well I believe.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yes I have. It's been discussed previously in various threads. Put Berkey in the search bar. You might have a problem picking one up in CA though (also been discussed).

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

white belt wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:19 pm
It’s very popular with off gridders and permaculture folks in general (e.g. Rob Greenfield and Brad Lancaster both use one). Jacob has one as well I believe.
This is where we'd first heard of them; I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just being sucked into 'needing' a product I'd never considered before because I saw an internet guy using it.

@jacob--I believe we CAians can buy the 'travel' size because it's intended for outdoor use, although the larger ones are not available (at least that's what I understand from what I've seen).

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Drinking tap water is not going to kill you (unless there's a natural disaster) so it's definitely a "want"... as in a matter of taste. If you already filter your water (or %#$%^@ buy it bottled), Berkey is the best(*) solution I know. As for size we drink exclusively water, but don't use filtered water for cooking or anything else. We regret not buying one size bigger than the recommended one.

(*) Most effective and most efficient.

Ego

Post by Ego »

It is possible to purchase just the Berkey filter elements and make your own stainless filter for cheap. Two stacking pots will do the trick. Drill a hole the correct diameter for the filter and install a spout in the bottom pot. Also, there are knock-off version of the activated carbon elements way cheaper. Someone here mentioned ceramic dome filter elements before. They sell on amazon for $13 shipped.

C40

Post by C40 »

My mom and sister both have a Berkey, so I've used them a fair amount.

I don't know what the prices are, but in terms of output quality, IMO, an RO system is significantly better. When my sister's tap water had a strange taste, the Berkey couldn't get rid of it, and it wasn't worth trying to make tea with the water

Also, refilling the Berkey could be slightly annoying.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Berkey is doing a 24% off Black Friday deal site-wide for anyone who needs an excuse.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Hristo Botev wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 am
Berkey is doing a 24% off Black Friday deal site-wide for anyone who needs an excuse.
Where? (Berkey seems to do the affiliate thing so there are many Berkey sites.)

I'm only seeing 4% off replacement filters on the site I bought my system from.
https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/ ... nt-filters

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

jacob wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:01 am
Where?
https://www.berkeyfilters.com/collections/holiday-sale
Weird;' I was able to access that site from my phone but cannot access it from the laptop (it just says "Savings are imminent."). Maybe try that link on your phone and see if it loads with the 24% off stuff. I was able to buy the "Royal Berkey Bundle Holiday Sale" for $360; normally $522 apparently (2 additional filters and a stand, bottle, and stainless steel spigot, in addition to the filter system itself).
Last edited by Hristo Botev on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Even on my phone I had to hit refresh and then I got to the "Best Savings of the Year Are Here!" page (as opposed to the "Savings are imminent" header).