The Final (?) Countdown

Where are you and where are you going?
ertyu

Re: The Final (?) Countdown

Post by ertyu »

Salathor wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:12 pm
I'm not sure I'm willing to discard useful but occasional things.
And you don't have to. In the case of people like Fumio Sasaki, "useful but occasional" is discarded because for him personally, it has mental health implications. It doesn't have the same mental health implications for you. Furhtermore, you don't operate under the same space/rent constraints as him (he rents in urban Japan).

Thanks for the Movementum rec, turns out I'd encountered his channel before but I'd forgotten about it. Inspired by him, I have moved my "procrastination station" on the floor (laptop on foldable breakfast-in-bed type tea table). I'm already noticing (1) how much I tend to "prop myself" as I get up and down, and (2) a marked improvement in balance and limberness as I force myself not to assist myself w my hands. It's only been a couple of days, too. Cool.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

ertyu wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:15 pm
Thanks for the Movementum rec, turns out I'd encountered his channel before but I'd forgotten about it. Inspired by him, I have moved my "procrastination station" on the floor (laptop on foldable breakfast-in-bed type tea table). I'm already noticing (1) how much I tend to "prop myself" as I get up and down, and (2) a marked improvement in balance and limberness as I force myself not to assist myself w my hands. It's only been a couple of days, too. Cool.
Great progress! After finding his channel a couple weeks ago I wanted to figure out a way to get my computer on the ground, too. It's not a laptop though so I've definitely got a little work ahead of me to find a low table or make one (which is what we did in the living room).

For our living room, we cut the legs of a standard card table down to 13 inches (or so, can't recall what we decided exactly) and use that as our puzzle/card game/tea table. Been doing that for about six months and it's worked great. Found the table for a dollar or two at a thrift store, then I bought some $3 rubber pipe heads at home depot so the cut table legs didn't damage our floor.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Finished Richard III and An Army at Dawn. I've moved on and am now 1/3 of the way through Paradise Lost, by Milton. This is a re-read but it's still great. I'd say it tends a little too heavily toward "look at how well read I am" with his references to other classic poetry, but perhaps his audience would have been so familiar that the references were easily understood shorthand. I get most of them, but am not familiar enough for them to have any "beauty" associated with the name, so it doesn't work for me. The content itself is great though.

At the same time I started reading Nathan Coulter by Wendell Berry, his first novel. About a childhood growing up in 1930s-era Kentucky. Quite good so far. He's a deft writer who avoids excess. I quite like his voice.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Spent a total of $621 last month for a family of four, not counting rent of $2700. $3321 all in.

$2,700 in rent
$60 power
$86 water
$410 groceries
$9 restaurants
$40 cast iron pan and gardening supplies
$10 doctor copay

Savings were really good.
$5,000 into my Roth account
$3,656 in non-retirement savings
~$5,000 in work related retirement accounts