Foraging Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
guitarplayer

Re: Foraging Log

Post by guitarplayer »

Trooping funnel, DW found it in the first part of December. They grow in abundance around where I live. Very strong taste, we cooked them without adding anything and they tasted like broth.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Grey oysters are with us yet again. We found this one when out on a run just 2h ago. Cooked them with yeast extract (without salt), turned out great as a side dish.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

This is called Lady's smock or Cuckoo flower (it arrives at the same time cuckoo begins singing). It is from the cabbage family so have cross-shaped flowers. Hot and spicy like wasabi, we collected a couple dozens and will have them in our salad tomorrow.

Joys of foraging: the view.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

This is yarrow, it is very common. Easy to identify due to its feathery leaves. Possible lookalikes are camomile and pineapple weed, both edible (and tasty).

Tastes like a green, we had it in our ramen today. It helps with wound healing due to its styptic properties. It's also got some salicylic acid.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

had to look up styptic, cool looking word. I've got tons of yarrow around, will try adding it to our salad this evening. Have you harvested nettles before?

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Yep a very common plant, so good to know it's medicinal. Nettles - sure, young ones are great. Better approached with gloves, but I know a safe technique for harvesting them without gloves too. The trick is to go with the wee spikes rather than against them when getting a grip of the plant.

My granny used to say that stings from a nettle are good for blood circulation, I don't know if this is just a folklore myth.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

guitarplayer wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:18 am

My granny used to say that stings from a nettle are good for blood circulation, I don't know if this is just a folklore myth.
I've heard some youtuber say she felt like she was getting a little plant acupuncture every time she harvests nettles. As always with plants, the dosage of their medicine seems the wild card.

shaz

Post by shaz »

I have lots of yarrow in my pasture but didn't know it is edible for humans. I will give it a try.

JenDuck

Post by JenDuck »

Love love love this thread. We are big into mushroom foraging and wild edible plants. Located in Australia so slightly different varieties and quite different climate.

Will have to share pictures when on the laptop next. Huge haul of pine mushrooms this year with La Niṉa in full flight.

We locally have peaches, plums, apples, chestnuts, quinces and pomegranates growing, plus the usual blackberries, blackberry nightshade, rose hips, hawthorns etc. Earlier this year we had been picking cleavers, chickweed, lambs quarters, nettles, mallow etc. We took a trip into nearest capital city where there’s loads of wild olives and feijoas.

Curious to know if anyone has foraged and processed seaweed? On our list to try and learn this year!

And what are your go to books/resources to learn?

Loved seeing all the pics of everyone’s finds.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

JenDuck wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:31 am
Curious to know if anyone has foraged and processed seaweed? On our list to try and learn this year!
In university my friend made a couple meals with foraged seaweed while we were out on his sailboat. It was more of an experiment after talking briefly with someone else who was collecting it.

It's a good idea, as it is really nutritious and abundant. DW and I incorporate seaweed into some of the Japanese and Korean dishes we make. Please report back if you move forward with it. I think drying it appropriately is pretty critical.

Green Pimble

Post by Green Pimble »

JenDuck wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:31 am
Love love love this thread. We are big into mushroom foraging and wild edible plants. Located in Australia so slightly different varieties and quite different climate...
I'm located in Australia too, and super keen to do some foraging, but have no idea where to start! Do you have any tips on resources for our locality? I'm in Melbourne.

What did you do with the foraged olives? I love olives but haven't found a good recipe online.

I did forage some pine needles for pine needle tea the other day. It was nice enough, and apparently high in vitamin C, but I prefer my regular black tea :D .

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Green Pimble wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:22 pm
I'm located in Australia too, and super keen to do some foraging, but have no idea where to start! Do you have any tips on resources for our locality?
You can take a look at some of the known edible plants and animals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_tucker

+1000 if you find, cook and eat a witchetty grub :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchetty_grub

JenDuck

Post by JenDuck »

Green Pimble wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:22 pm
I'm located in Australia too, and super keen to do some foraging, but have no idea where to start! Do you have any tips on resources for our locality? I'm in Melbourne.

What did you do with the foraged olives? I love olives but haven't found a good recipe online.

I did forage some pine needles for pine needle tea the other day. It was nice enough, and apparently high in vitamin C, but I prefer my regular black tea :D .

I like to have a good stock of books on the subject - Tim Low’s are great. There’s a weed foragers handbook that is relatively low cost, I believe written by a Melbourne duo, which is great for beginners https://www.eatthatweed.com/edible-weeds-book/

Most of the overseas ones are useful too as we have imported a lot of weeds! If you’re in Melbourne that will likely be what you come across most.

Diego Bonnetto’s blog is great.

And in general I’d just recommend getting curious, being willing to YouTube and google to figure out if something is edible and to get out into nature.

Mushroom wise there are a few options - head to a pine plantation and start with
Lactarius Deliciosus (easy enough to identify). Then if you enjoy that consider joining Facebook groups to help identify. :) I have a few books but find them less helpful in practical applications as mushrooms can look so different depending on stage and environmental factors. Alison Pouliot’s Wild Mushrooming is a stand out though.

Western Red Cedar

We've had some great conditions for Morels in the Pacific Northwest. I think I came close to the largest haul yet.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

@Western Red Cedar woooaaaaah! What a haul! I've found a couple growing up here in the Midwest but this takes my breath away!

Western Red Cedar

@RF - We definitely did well this year. I'll be eating well for the next few days. My niece found another patch today in a new area, which is exciting as they tend to come back in the same spots year after year. Here is a photo of them laid out:

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Nice WRC
I got several dozen yesterday that I am going to turn into Chicken Marsala tonight.

After my first successful pick I turned my head to the left and it seemed like a flashbulb went off and illuminated several more.

The second spot where I found the rest of yesterday’s haul didn’t have the flashbulb.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yellow oysters today
I really should learn how to post pics here.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Nice haul @WRC! Damn!

From our recurring Morel spot on a running route. We picked just enough for pizza dinner. Soaked in salt water for 30 minutes. Will fry in butter and throw on a pizza. My partner has laser eyes for these things... her lasik is cheating! ;)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

It is still too early for us to harvest anything from the garden but the forest has exploded with growth so I went foraging for greens for a salad for tonight's dinner on this morning's walk with the dogs. I picked greens from fireweed and Spanish bluebells as well as petals from Arctic Rose. Spanish bluebells taste very similar to spinach.

Fireweed. The leaves start to taste more bitter once the flowers develop.

Arctic Rose

Spanish bluebells mixed in with young alder

Yum!

tdurtsch

Post by tdurtsch »

Just discovering this thread. Great finds all around! @theanimal those roses really make that salad pop, so pretty! I've never heard of fireweed but have seen lots of weeds that resemble your photo. Is it too late by this time of year (mid July) to harvest them?

Black raspberries are just starting in my area. Never seen these before coming to the midwest, but in my area they're very common! Picked nearly a full quart this time (took the 2nd pic after eating a bunch), and also got about a pint earlier this week.