Building a better world - Cam's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
basuragomi

Re: Building a better world - Cam's Journal

Post by basuragomi »

Too bad on the union but fabrication seems like it would open just as many doors. I've seen a guy live out of his van while traveling across Canada doing fabrication on wind power installations.

If you're mostly welding in your home garage, could you get a supplied-air helmet, run it with outside air, and later buy or scrounge a blower unit to make it portable when you need to be on site? Outside air probably is cleaner than what any filter can do.

Cam

Post by Cam »

That is a neat option I hadn't thought of, thanks! The only downside is I'd have to make the hose a good length to allow myself a lot of movement. I also wouldn't want to trip on it.

Yeah there are plenty of metalworking shops on my area, and right now there are 3 of them looking for labourers/sandblasters/painters. So after school I could definitely get into one of them to learn about the industry. I wouldn't want to jump in headfirst without any experience, that seems like a recipe for failure. School is good in that it teaches me to weld, but it is in perfect conditions: great fit up, space to move around, I can see what I'm doing very clearly, fresh metal etc. In the real world, especially if I do repair, none of those are guaranteed. Working in a fab shop could teach me a lot about working well with imperfect situations and materials.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Some ideas have been simmering in my head these past few weeks. Big picture ones mostly. I think it's dealing with a paradox of sorts. The first is my exploration of Buddhism through Pema Chodron's writings and teachings. It's all great stuff, but the encouragement to fully open up to life, no matter how scary that may seem, is really good for me to hear and work on. The idea that there is nothing unchanging, that there is no solid ground to stand on, is scary but immensely freeing too. I am learning why she calls folks on the spiritual path warriors. Before I'd kind of chuckle and think, yeah a warrior who sits and watches his/her breath. But I'm seeing the bravery she talks about now. Every time I want to run away from something or way I'm feeling, it can feel like pulling the rug out from underneath myself when I instead choose to just sit with the uncomfortable feeling. Often times it's only a brief period of sitting with the feeling followed by my usual behavior - eat sweet stuff, watch youtube, read etc. But it is an improvement. I see why buddhists are so smiley now. If you can make friends with yourself unconditionally - with all the messy thoughts and emotions that come along with that - nothing really scares you anymore. Because in making friends with yourself, you become far more forgiving of other people too with all their flaws and quirks. The big idea to me is opening completely to the fundamental uncertainty that comes along with life, and viewing it with excitement rather than dread.

Contrast that with some more reading I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. Instead of saying that there is no solid ground to stand on, I am reading that I am in fact infinite and timeless. Not me in the sense of little old me typing this entry, but as a unique expression of the entire universe. It's the idea that I am not separate from the entire universe and the cosmos, and whatever lies beyond. On an intellectual level I can grasp this well now. However it is rare that I really feel it. I can name two times when my ego in the usual sense completely faded to quiet. One was when I was staying at the homestead last summer. I was laying in the trailer in the early afternoon on a cool, cloudless day. I was looking out the screened window of the trailer, and was very relaxed. It was probably a minute or two where I merged with with the rest of the world. It's weird writing it out...but it's that my usual thoughts and sense of a separate 'me' completely faded. It was just pure experience of seeing the sky and hearing the wind in the trees. The second time was at the grocery store today when I went out to do carts with another guy. I looked up at the sky on the way out of the store. This time was only a few seconds, but the same thing happened. My thoughts and sense of self faded away, then came back as I started bringing carts back to the front of the store.

The contrast between these two trains of thought is keeping me thinking. One says that everything is ever changing and that there is no solid ground to stand on (metaphorically). The other says that underlying all this ever changing stuff is the Ground of Being or the All or God or whatever term you'd like, that is without a beginning or ending. One says the self does not really exist, and one says that it (or just consciousness) is the basis for everything in existence. Could they both be right? Needless to say I've been learning a lot. The common ground between the two is that now, the present, is all there really is. The past is all memory and the future is all in the imagination. The only thing that can be truly experienced is right here right now, and thus it makes sense to learn how to open up fully to the present moment. And not just during the pleasant times!

Pair this up with my earlier readings about near death experiences, and a coherent spiritual view of life is starting to form for me. It really has changed every day life for me. Even if I wake up dead tired and ready to go back to bed, I see it as something to explore now rather than try to run away from. I still use all my usual escapes, but I'm a lot more cognizant of them and I am getting better every day at staying right where I am, physically and mentally.

Also keep in mind I am brand new to Buddhism so there may be other schools of thought that I'm completely unaware of. This is just what has been bouncing around in my head recently.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Money talk time. This month I earned ~$1000 and spent ~$2300. Oh no! Most of that is the welder purchase though from last month (~$1800). I have done my first job with it and I had a ton of fun. I fixed up my friend's lawnmower handle with it and earned $20. So it hasn't paid itself off...yet.

I am leaning towards welding and fabrication more now as I see the demand for it. There is a labourer position at a local metal shop right now and I'm going to drop a resume there tomorrow. If I can get in as a welder, even better. However I think just getting into a big shop and seeing how things operate will be great experience. I'm going to order a copy of The Welding Business Owner's Handbook to learn a whole lot. I don't want to jump in to a business right now, because I just don't know enough. It seems like a lot of fun. Doing that kind of work part time (until school is over at the end of July then full time) will really let me know whether I enjoy it or not.

I also tried out TIG welding for the first time last week - wow is it ever calming! Compared to stick and MIG with all the smoke and sparks it is so quiet. It is me and the arc and my filler rod and nothing else. It's very neat because I control every aspect of the process. I can adjust the amperage mid weld with the foot pedal, I control how much filler I add, plus all the other factors such as arc length and travel speed. With stick, MIG and flux core they all do part of the process for you. It's good in a way because it's faster, but to have full control over the entire process is something else. It's similar to having a fancy DSLR and only using it on Auto mode then one day switching to manual and realizing the flexibility. Far less fumes too. The shielding gas is 100% argon which has a smell but it is non-toxic. It is only dangerous if it replaces all the oxygen in the area, for example if you're welding inside a big pipe or something. Oh and did I mention I can weld virtually any metal with TIG?? It is so cool. I'm on the third exercise out of five right now, an open corner joint on 1/16" steel.

I am opening myself up in the dating world too, because Ive been too closed off for a while. I'd very often meet a girl and think 'oh it wouldn't work because..." and come up with whatever reason. It was basically to avoid making myself vulnerable to being hurt. Now I'm making the conscious effort to not do that, It's working! I am getting myself out there more. I've hungout with one gal a couple times and we have a lot of fun together. And I'm about to get coffee with another one soon. Look out ladies.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Edit about argon - that is not what I was smelling. Argon has no smell. I was smelling ozone, and after reading about I will wear my respirator while tig welding too.

I did not apply at the shop near my school because I was warned by three people that is a crappy place to work. I did however apply to a company that manufactures stuff for mines. The posting was put up last Tuesday. I applied on Wednesday at 7:30am, then heard back at 8:30am. The HR lady was asking me what my hours were the rest of the summer - I'd included that I was in school until the end of July in my cover letter. I told her, and she forwarded it to her management. Then the next day she emailed me asking to come for an interview. Woo! That interview is tomorrow at 3pm.

This is unbelievably refreshing after my experience with electrical around here. Right now I'm taking a break from researching the company. I just compiled some screenshots of my past projects too. It's funny the little things I've done. My first ever project was my cargo bike, then a bone crusher (not as violent as it sounds I promise), a kindling splitter, some brackets and finally my friend's lawnmower. I took pictures for permies but it does make a nice little portfolio and demonstrates that welding school is not my only experience making stuff with metal. It shows my enthusiasm for welding too - I really do enjoy it!

My welding business book arrived today too. So far it is somewhat repetitive and doesn't have the best writing ever, but it's got some good info in it. Lots of interesting options from being an independent contractor to mobile repair to opening a fab shop. Lots of ideas in my noggin right now. But back to researching the company. I'll update soon about how it goes. :D

*Update* So the interview was more the company selling themselves to me and not the other way around. I guess they know how many shops are looking for folks. They liked my little portfolio I made. I was honest about why I initially avoided welding as a job - the fumes! They said they'd provide respirator fit testing and all the filters required which was nice to hear. They've also got the local exhaust at each weld station. I got a tour of the shops, and they seem real clean and organized. No welding was being done as the afternoon shift was just beginning, but I could see different projects in progress. The guys on the floor seemed nice enough from the few words said to them by the lady giving me the tour. The projects varied in size and complexity from basic brackets and hinges to full on cages for workers in mine shafts and trolleys for transporting ore.

Overall it seemed like a clean, well organized shop with a variety of work and that's just what I'd like for getting some fabrication experience. The downside is that the lady said they start at $17 per hour for the first 3 months. I didn't ask if it is negotiable, but I will in an email. I can go work as a labourer for my friend's property maintenance business and make $18 an hour. I thought about it last night and it is not great pay, but as a first year electrical apprentice I'd be looking at the same pay - around $16-18 per hour. I think the other shops in the area would start around the same. I will call other shops though and see who is looking and to see if I can get an estimate for a wage based on my experience and welding tickets. The wage to me is the only downside about this place. They are happy to work around my classes and are willing to give much shorter shifts (ending at 11pm vs 2am) to make sure I'm not dead tired for school the next morning. They all seemed genuinely friendly too, not just putting on a show to get me in the door. I'll call other shops and get back to the HR lady soon through email.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Sooo where are we now? I decided not to take the mining company job. One day I cold called 4 shops right near my college and asked if they were looking for a welder/fitter. One shop was a one man operation so he said no. Another did not pick up the phone. Two however picked up and told me to bring in a resume. Sweet!

Both shops do custom fabrication, and they both seem like good places to work. One of them is actually sending someone to talk to our class, so I know they really need folks. I talked to the HR lady at shop A and she seemed to like me because my prof said she emailed him right after asking about me. I know he's a big fan of me, not because I'm the best welder in the class (not even close) but because I show up every day ready to learn, which is surprisingly rare. The head supervisor at shop B gave me a tour. I loved how small the shop was, and how tight knit everyone was. It's one of those places where if someone is moving they can borrow one of the work trucks for the day, or buy some steel right from the warehouse to make some at home projects. That job would start at $18/hour doing labourer duties and the wage would increase with experience and skill. Most of the employees there have been there for years which is a good sign to me. The supervisor himself started out cleaning toilets and whatnot and they put him through all the schooling to be a Red Seal welder and now he's supervising. He was very honest too. He said straight up I could make better money at a bigger shop around the corner (not shop A, another one) but the work is very fast paced and the atmosphere is much less friendly.

I also got a tip from an older guy in my class about a local electrical/HVAC business getting very busy and possibly looking for folks. He got in there for tig welding HVAC stuff, and he said to throw in an application for welding or electrical and see if something comes of it. The power of weak social ties! Lol. Things are looking up though.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Cam wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:40 pm
Edit about argon - that is not what I was smelling. Argon has no smell. I was smelling ozone, and after reading about I will wear my respirator while tig welding too.
@Cam. I really like this one. It is very low profile and it fits under a helmet. Cheap too. $25 at Amazon last year. I welded with thoriated tungsten for years and I regret that I never thought to wear a P100 respirator. I’d finish up with that metallic taste in my mouth not to mention I ground my electrodes without any protection.

During a workup for heart surgery my doctors found an 8mm cyst in my lung. It’s benign but I can only regret not wearing good PPE during all those years of TIG welding.

I had a machinist who didn’t weld. It was frustrating because after he made stuff for me we’d have to farm out the welding. When I asked why he didn’t weld he’d say “ever know an old welder?”

I thought that was a a bit extreme. But he had a point. It’s filthy. Wear a good respirator under your helmet. It’s cheap insurance that’ll save you many fold when you’re old and retired out of the trade.

I own a Geiger counter. I scanned my old home and my grinder and thoriated rods were the only radioactive thing there above the background. I left that grinder and wheel out on the curb for freecycling. Toxic waste. Think about that the next time you forget to turn on your argon and you fry your rod.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Sclass wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:14 am
@Cam. I really like this one. It is very low profile and it fits under a helmet. Cheap too. $25 at Amazon last year. I welded with thoriated tungsten for years and I regret that I never thought to wear a P100 respirator. I’d finish up with that metallic taste in my mouth not to mention I ground my electrodes without any protection.

During a workup for heart surgery my doctors found an 8mm cyst in my lung. It’s benign but I can only regret not wearing good PPE during all those years of TIG welding.

I had a machinist who didn’t weld. It was frustrating because after he made stuff for me we’d have to farm out the welding. When I asked why he didn’t weld he’d say “ever know an old welder?”

I thought that was a a bit extreme. But he had a point. It’s filthy. Wear a good respirator under your helmet. It’s cheap insurance that’ll save you many fold when you’re old and retired out of the trade.

I own a Geiger counter. I scanned my old home and my grinder and thoriated rods were the only radioactive thing there above the background. I left that grinder and wheel out on the curb for freecycling. Toxic waste. Think about that the next time you forget to turn on your argon and you fry your rod.

The machinist is pretty much right. I don't know any old ones. One of my profs is in his sixties and he has tinnitus and a chronic minor cough. I definitely don't see any fit welders...I know it's weird but I've thought about it. Knowingly subjecting oneself to all the fumes and dust without any protection says something to me about someone's relationship to their body - i.e. they don't care much about their health. I know there are other factors involved but I find it interesting.

And you are preaching to the choir about the respirator! Thank you for the recommendation. I initially avoided welding as a career precisely because of the nasty fumes involved. I remember when I started it as a hobby. I'd just be in the garage for about half an hour just running beads with my little inverter welder. I'd have the windows open so the smoke would mostly dissipate, but even after just 30 minutes I'd always come inside with a headache. Not a good sign! After that I did some googling and holy moly there is some funky stuff. Now the respirator is on at school and at home.

The one I am using now, and is currently my favourite, is this 3M option: https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v000154015/

It flips down with a latch so I can talk to folks and have them actually hear me. I usually do that when I'm actually fabricating with someone or talking to my profs about a certain exercise. It also points the exhalation valve down which stops it from fogging up my helmet or safety glasses. The only downside is the latches don't seem too tough - not sure how long they'll last. Either way it keeps me from breathing funky stuff, and lets me easily talk to folks when necessary, so it's a win win. Folks still give me looks (good old cognitive dissonance) but I don't mind. A couple guys commented on it earlier but one of my profs asked him if he knew the long term health effects of welding and that quieted him down.

The field is in a weird place...most of the teachers or people doing apprenticing grew up maybe knowing there was some sort of risk welding, but no one really did anything so they didn't think about it much. Now, at least I think, people are much more aware of the risks involved. That awareness is not translating into action though. As I think I mentioned earlier, I am the only one wearing a respirator in class. Masks are off at the end of June, and that is when I'll be the only one with something covering my face. It's crazy because it is so obvious when you do even a bit of reading that protecting your lungs is a damn good idea. A part of it would definitely be the 'manliness' of the trade.

There are local exhaust systems and whatnot, but they're far from perfect as I'm sure you know. Doing a horizontal SMAW exercise I actually had to shove mine into the corner so I was actually able to complete the weld. My booth was loaded with smoke for the next few minutes.

Ohhh well. I will set the example. I will not preach to people because I'm sure they already know the risks and it is their choice. My choice is to keep my lungs as healthy as I can, because I kind of like them.

Cam

Post by Cam »

First some spending talk. I earned ~$1380 this month, and spent around $550, leading to a net worth increase of $815 or so. Not bad! 59% savings rate, but I really was not putting a ton of effort in this month.

Here is a rough breakdown.
Bank fees ~$17 - seriously screw td. I gotta leave them. I had a free account with perks as a student, which I still am, but they 'accidentally' cancelled it on me. And yes I did send my proof of enrollment multiple times. Oh well.
Food - Around $34. $10 of which was me buying drinks for everyone at tim hortons when I got together with some friends I hadn't seen in a while.
Car - lowered my insurance by $2 by updating how much I actually drive - lol! I guess it's more my age and demographic that determines how much they charge me. So about $140 total spending including one fill up.
Bike stuff - around $193 on parts and tools. I replaced the chains on two bikes, some disc brake pads on one bike, and a front derailleur on another bike. I also got myself a Park Tool chain tool so changing a chain is no longer a fun gamble but a for sure thing - sometimes my cheap one will drive the pin in weird and the chain would snap mid ride. That only happened once, but I'd rather it didn't happen again. I might be able to get the parts cheaper online, but I really enjoy supporting the small shop in town.
Training - I spent $62 on a working at heights training course which should be well worth it. Having that certification is good for getting in on any construction jobs where you gotta be high up.

Enough about money. What I am really excited about, and really proud of this month, is how much I'm opening myself up to the world. For several years at least I avoided dating. Well that might be a little strong. I went on dates occasionally, but I'd often find an excuse very early on for why a particular relationship wouldn't work, and then I wouldn't pursue it. It kept me safe, and life was rather peaceful, but I was missing out on a lot. I think a lot of it was figuring out who I was. Especially in 2019, when I went through my doom phase. And earlier on when I was first exploring early retirement. I'm not exactly set on a path, but I do feel far more settled now. So it wasn't long ago I signed up for some online dating platforms and got swiping.

After putting some effort into making a good profile, I've actually hungout with one girl twice who was incredibly sweet and funny, but she ended things. She decided that finding friends was better for her at the moment than romance. That was a bummer because I really liked her, but that's okay. Then another girl, of the goth/punk rock type that only two years ago I would have said 'uh no' to I started chatting with. She would love texting, but wouldn't respond when I asked about a specific time to meet, so I've left that. She said she was burnt out and just needed some time, so we'll see if it goes anywhere. And now I matched with a beautiful girl on tinder who happens to be one of my sister's friends who I drove to the bar just a couple weeks ago. Also very sweet and easy to talk to. We're going to hangout at the movie theatre arcade where I'll beat her in air hockey and pacman, then we're gonna see a movie. I'm excited and nervous for that. And finally I just matched with another beautiful girl who seems like a fantastic match. She seems very active, into gardening (woo), biking (wow) and caring for people and the earth (nice!). I just asked her this morning if she's down for a hike or to get coffee, and we'll see where that goes.

This has all been a lot for me. I've been more tired than usual, because I'm riding a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. I wouldn't have it any other way though. The big event that really changed things for me was losing my grandma last year. It was a lot of emotional pain obviously, but the essential part was that it was unavoidable. There was no where to go, no where to run from it, I had to go through. It was scary at times, but with a lot of support me and my family have come out of the grieving process very well. What it taught me is that I am far stronger than I thought I was. Yes, I was sad, a lot. Angry sometimes. A lot of it wasn't fun for quite a while. But here's the thing - I'm okay! I made it through! It was very good for me to have that pain forced on me in a way, because now I know I can work my way through and come out the other side okay. This has dovetailed nicely with my further exploration of Buddhism and opening up to my present experience, no matter what it may be.

Phew. In less exciting news, my volunteer bike repair is going well. They're up to 80 bikes in house with about 5 out the door each day. I got myself a free road bike that might be older than me. No one wants them, but we received about 5 this year so whoever wants them can take them! The tires are so worn we couldn't quite read the recommended PSI, so we did 80 PSI because road bike tires are usually 80-90PSI. Well what do ya know, the tube burst in the car when I was driving the bike home that evening. It's very loud when it's right beside your head! I looked very carefully when I got home, and saw 75 PSI recommended. Whoops. I got a free tube from the program though so the thing is sort of back in action. Still work to do on it. I love the look of it though. Lime green with the feet clamps and suicide shifters and everything.

School is nearly done. I've passed my practice CWB test for stick in the flat position, and I just did the test with dual shield flux core which was unbelievably smooth. I think I nailed it first go. Then finally I'll do it with MIG, which I've heard has the most failures of the three processes. Whoop whoop! As for a job, I will call the small shop who said they'd have a job for me if they got two contracts they bid on. If I didn't get in there, there's the second shop just down the street that has an active posting for welder/fitter/fabricators.

So yeah, life is good. The inner peace I once often carried around isn't around near as much, but I think that;s a good thing. I'm finally getting out of my comfort zone, and I'm happier for it.

KRUMPn

Post by KRUMPn »

Congrats on the improvements! I haven't been following your journal super closely, but I know there have been some recent disappointments, so it's great to hear the acceptance has set in and you are feeling life is good.
Cam wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:18 pm
Food - Around $34. $10 of which was me buying drinks for everyone at tim hortons when I got together with some friends I hadn't seen in a while.
WTF are you eating? I've been trying to slim this down (which is really hard when I'm hitting 3500-4000 calories burned per day), but I can't imagine hitting this number. I was in the ~$120 at one point but I'm pretty sure I was undereating. Impressive! (as long as you're not starving yourself!)
Cam wrote:
After putting some effort into making a good profile
I'm curious, what did this look like? How did you discover what makes a "good profile"? I've been struggling with getting something going on the dating apps since I've been out of the dating app game for probably 5 years and I'm trying to get back in again.
Cam wrote:
So yeah, life is good. The inner peace I once often carried around isn't around near as much, but I think that;s a good thing. I'm finally getting out of my comfort zone, and I'm happier for it.
I think I'm discovering the same thing. It's easy to get stuck in a rut when it's comfortable, but I noticed I never really feel fulfilled. Pushing the envelope and experiencing new things seemed to be the answer for me too.

On welding, worst case scenario is you have a super useful DIY skill. As for a job, I'm sure you'll find something soon enough. I keep seeing DIY projects where people are welding tons of aluminum and steel and I just nope right out of them since I don't have the skill or the space to figure it out. I'm stuck in the wood world and in a very amateur way at best (although I may venture to 80/20 aluminum at some point, but that's only so useful).

Cam

Post by Cam »

KRUMPn wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:53 pm
Congrats on the improvements! I haven't been following your journal super closely, but I know there have been some recent disappointments, so it's great to hear the acceptance has set in and you are feeling life is good.

WTF are you eating? I've been trying to slim this down (which is really hard when I'm hitting 3500-4000 calories burned per day), but I can't imagine hitting this number. I was in the ~$120 at one point but I'm pretty sure I was undereating. Impressive! (as long as you're not starving yourself!)
Thanks KRUMPn!

LOL do not worry I am eating very well! I am at home where there is no rent and my parents cover food costs. They are very generous that way. My only spending is outside the house, usually buying half off dairy stuff at the grocery store where I work or candy at the bulk food store when I am very tired :D
KRUMPn wrote: I'm curious, what did this look like? How did you discover what makes a "good profile"? I've been struggling with getting something going on the dating apps since I've been out of the dating app game for probably 5 years and I'm trying to get back in again.
Online dating is tough. I know on average guys are more visual when it comes to attraction, but girls are looking for other traits such as intelligence, kindness, a sense of humour, willpower and ambition. That's not to say looks don't matter, I just don't think they matter as much for girls than for guys. The challenging thing is conveying those attributes with just a few pictures and a short bio. I've signed up for online dating before, but I never put much effort into it. Just kind of used my facebook profile pics and put a clever bio. Nothing much came of it. This time around I took photos with my dog who I'm besties with, added some more recent photos, and some from the homestead too. Basically just showing that 1) I am most likely not a murderer if my small dog is besties with me, 2) I do leave the house once in a while, as one photo with my friends at an amusement park shows, and 3) I am weird (in the cool way imho) with my selfies with goats and horses.

I think if I had any tips it'd be to put effort into getting good photos of yourself. Photos showing social proof - i.e. you have friends. Even just a good pic with one buddy is great. Maybe a photo showing you doing something you love or are very skilled at - for example I could get someone to take a pic of me tig welding. Now if you're like me and you never take photos...you're gonna have to change that. Something that I've thought of would be getting my buddies and me to clean ourselves up nice and take photos of each other at a nice location like our beach or trails around here. It'd be fun, we'd all get great photos for our dating profiles (for whoever has them) and we'd get some great group pics for memories later on. Win win I'd say.

One book I read a couple years called Mate: Become the Man Women Want by Tucker Max and Geoffrey Miller was super helpful. And no it is not PUA stuff, it's basically a guide to being a better man, with backing from evolutionary psychology and a little bit of 'bro' style writing from one of the coauthors. How to dress properly, making friends, building a sense of who you are, strength training, all very healthy stuff. Sorry I may have went on a tangent here. Hope some of it helped!

And as I am typing the girl that is into hiking and gardening and biking just messaged me saying yes to a hike!!! Woo!! Man I am pumped about her. Seems like a hippie and I'm loving it.
KRUMPn wrote:I think I'm discovering the same thing. It's easy to get stuck in a rut when it's comfortable, but I noticed I never really feel fulfilled. Pushing the envelope and experiencing new things seemed to be the answer for me too.

On welding, worst case scenario is you have a super useful DIY skill. As for a job, I'm sure you'll find something soon enough. I keep seeing DIY projects where people are welding tons of aluminum and steel and I just nope right out of them since I don't have the skill or the space to figure it out. I'm stuck in the wood world and in a very amateur way at best (although I may venture to 80/20 aluminum at some point, but that's only so useful).
I'm glad you agree. I think a lot of the comfort and stability is false in a way. I think to keep a sense of inner peace at most or all times a certain level of denial about the groundlessness of everything must be present. Now that I am opening up to life as it is, I do feel anxious, sad, and even angry once in a while too. But I also feel a profound sense of joy and excitement too on the flip side.

As for welding, I'm excited for that too. Once I got over wearing the respirator when no one else does, it opened up things a lot. If I can get some basic to advanced fabrication skills, especially with aluminum, that opens up a ton of opportunities for little side businesses if I do decide to go that route.

Thanks for the reply KRUMPn!

KRUMPn

Post by KRUMPn »

Cam wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:01 pm
LOL do not worry I am eating very well!
Hah okay, that makes me feel better. I'm not sure if I was super impressed or super concerned. Unless you were doing the whole dumpster diving thing. Then it all would have made sense.
Cam wrote:
Online dating is tough.
You don't have to tell me twice. I SUCKED at it. Basically gave up and have only had a few dates from IRL connections. Although the older I get the harder that has become since there are fewer and fewer single connections in my friend group. Sounds like solid advice. I am very much like you where I avoid taking pictures. I'm going to have to work on that. Thanks for the book recommendation too! CONGRATS ON THE DATE! I love hiking dates. Very few distractions so you can actually get to know the person.
Cam wrote:
I do feel anxious, sad, and even angry once in a while too.
I think this makes life more "real" in a way. It really let's you experience the fully spectrum of human emotion rather than just mild satisfaction (and makes the happy/joyous moments even better).

Again, congrats with the welding progress. I'm jealous, but someday I'll get around to figuring it out.

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

Cam wrote:
And no it is not PUA stuff, it's basically a guide to being a better man, with backing from evolutionary psychology and a little bit of 'bro' style writing from one of the coauthors. How to dress properly, making friends, building a sense of who you are, strength training, all very healthy stuff.
Lol.Bro, the stuff you listed is like.....90% of what PUA stuff is. You even used the term social proof earlier in the post!

Which is awesome, because I think the reputation and hate that the PUA community garners is unwarranted.

Regardless of the labeling, its good to see that you're moving in a good direction. Keep it up!

Cam

Post by Cam »

MBBboy wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:40 pm
Lol.Bro, the stuff you listed is like.....90% of what PUA stuff is. You even used the term social proof earlier in the post!

Which is awesome, because I think the reputation and hate that the PUA community garners is unwarranted.

Regardless of the labeling, its good to see that you're moving in a good direction. Keep it up!
Lol now isn't that funny. I have an image in my head of PUAs as the creepy guys that take videos interviewing drunk girls outside of bars and then upload them to YouTube. Great to hear they are teaching some healthy stuff and that image is not right! It's mostly the manipulative stuff I am really not a fan of which the book I mentioned had none of.

Also KRUMPn I read some of your journal, you are living a very cool life! Your lifestyle definitely narrows down your options but i think when you do find someone it'll be a lot of fun!!

Cam

Post by Cam »

I'm in, folks. I got my first full time job at a metal shop here in town! It's close enough to home so I can bike there. They do work ranging from giant projects for mines down to hand rails and small brackets. I'm starting at $17 per hour which is better than what I'm currently making at the grocery store, and the supervisor said that if I'm consistently showing up on time ready to work then the raises will come. They will provide a respirator and filters for it which is great. $110 boot allowance per year. I'm going to learn a lot there that's for sure.

By the looks of it I'm going to be the only one wearing the respirator out on the floor, as I haven't seen anyone else wearing one. If anyone asks why I'll say I'm sensitive to the fumes and I get headaches if I don't wear it. Not really a lie, I do feel much better when I'm not breathing that gunk in.

I just recently learned I can easily dismantle my respirator for cleaning!! For a while I've just hung it up to dry, and kept the 2297 filters in a bag so they last longer. But the respirator itself just snaps apart and i can wash it in warm water and with a neutral detergent (not sure what that means but I'll find out) and it'll be sparkly clean. Good to know because having hot moist air flowing through that thing constantly would eventually end up filling it with bacteria. I'm going to make it a habit to wash it after work each day and hang dry it so I'm not making myself sick with my own germs.

Overall I'm just pumped. I'm also going to put in a 40A 240V receptacle in the garage soon too which will really open up the capabilities of my welders. Life is good! Money update to come.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Spending talk time. This month I earned just over $2000, and spent around $1200 giving me a 59% savings rate and a net worth increase of $800. Whyyy so much spending you may ask. Welding and electrical I respond.

I got everything I need to install the welding receptacle. All in all it was about $260 for the 8AWG wire, plus all the connectors and the breaker.

$120 was spent on CWB tests. For those of you who don't know, it's Canada's way to certify welders in different positions (flat, horizontal, overhead etc). It was $40 per attempt. We had the option to get certified in stick, flux core and MIG welding in the flat position. I attempted all three, and passed stick and flux core no problem. I just barely failed MIG though, my weld opened up when bent :cry: For my first job all the welding is metal core, which the flux core ticket certifies me for so I'm not too worried about missing out on MIG. From what I am hearing most shops are switching to metal core because it has a higher deposition rate than MIG and a lower failure rate. Both great things if you're a business trying to cut costs.

Bought some more consumables and safety gear too. New headgear for my helmet. Just a tip if you're in the market for a welding helmet: the Miller Digital Elite and Infinity helmets are fantastic, except for how the headgear is designed. It's incredibly comfortable, but when the helmet is flipped up all the weight is in front of your head and not directly above. It's not uncomfortable, at least to me, but it means that the little ratchet mechanism that holds the helmet up wears down quick. Eventually it gets to the point that the helmet will work its way down all by itself. I am very patient but even I wanted to throw the helmet across the room a couple times this semester. For some stainless rods, new gloves, a helmet and some goggles plus some other stuff I forget I spent ~$140 on welding stuff.

I got another lead for a little welding job in my neighbourhood. Ran into my friend's dad and he asked if I could weld something for him. Next time I'm over I'll take a closer look at whatever it is. Sounds like some sort of rack to hold plates or something, that's all I got. Having my wire welder opens up a lot of options that simply weren't there with my stick welder.

I spent $35 on food. Mostly snackies at the grocery store. I also went on a date earlier this month which was a ton of fun. Went to see a movie, and messed around at the arcade beforehand. She beat me at every game, and believe me I was not going easy. Then got some ice cream afterwards. I had a great time and I think it could go somewhere. She's incredibly sweet and easy to talk to.

The girl on bumble that I was going to go for a hike with just stopped answering. That's what bad about online dating. Sucks, but oh well. It's all part of the journey.

I did some calling around this month too. I wanted to get a feel for how the weld repair market is around here. From what I understand now, there is enough demand to make some extra cash on the side, but not enough to make a full time gig out of it. There is one guy in town who runs his own shop doing machining and some welding. He said he was going to retire relatively soon. He sounded very encouraging when I mentioned doing some repair work. At the end of the call he asked if I could do some welding on his truck after I get certified at my job (I think they'll get me certified for all positions). He asked because he'd have trouble getting it safetied if he did the welding as he is not a ticketed welder.

Another guy I called said he did exactly what I'm thinking of doing when he was in college for welding. He said the same thing about the demand. Not enough for full time work, but enough to earn some extra money. I think this is an excellent way to dip my toes in running a small welding business. It's great because there's very little stuff to purchase to get started. I have my welders, grinders, all the wheels I could need, helmets and respirators. All I can think of is MAPP gas as a potential purchase for bending stuff easily and preheating.

So overall life is great. Got a BBQ today to finish off welding school, then I'm home free! Leaving the grocery store soon, and starting at the fab shop in August :D In my break with no school I will get the welding outlet up and running. Woo!

Cam

Post by Cam »

Well I've been at the new shop nearly a month now. It has overall been a great experience. I started out just welding end caps on some rectangular tubing. Lots of welding, but they were just to seal the ends up so if I messed up it wasn't a big deal. I got compliments on my welds from the painter and another experienced guy which felt good!

For the first couple weeks I had to adjust to getting looks for wearing my respirator. I am the only one in the shop who wears it not only for welding but grinding too, even on mild steel. It was uncomfortable because I was simultaneously the new guy and the guy who wears a respirator all the time, and I don't really like standing out much so it was a bit uncomfortable. But now we're all used to it. Throwing it on is habit, and the guys are used to it now too because I no longer catch them staring at me.

The bummer with this job was buying all the tools I needed to get going. I had basic welding tools including a brush, a hammer, and my helmet and PPE, but I didn't have a combination square or clamps. All in all I spent $591 in August getting necessary tools. The shop provides the welders and grinders and consumables, but everything to do with fitting ranging from a 4lb sledge hammer to a combination square I needed to provide. It made me think of the IBEW and new apprentices getting a whole set of tools at no cost to them. Oh well. At least they're tools that I will continue to use at home when I do leave at some point. And if I treat them well they will last a very long time and pay for themselves many times over.

So how did the money accumulation go last month? Well....

Income: $2100
Expenses: $2000

Yes you read that correctly. A net worth increase of $100! I mean hey, it isn't negative. So where did it all go?
Tools for work - $591
Two tool boxes half off from crappy tire $500
ESAB auto darkening welding hood for home use $260
New wheel for one of our nice bikes $125
Food $53, mostly on pizza during some get togethers
Car $130 combo of insurance and one $40 fillup

The new wheel is my bad. I cleaned the drivetrain of one of the family bikes this spring, and made the mistake of spraying degreaser right onto the cassette. It worked its way into the freehub and the wheel stopped freewheeling, which meant the chain went slack whenever I stopped pedalling - not fun. First I tried spraying lube right into the center of the cassette, which actually worked but only for a week or so until it worked its way out. I looked up free hub maintenance on Youtube and saw that it was too advanced for me at the moment, especially when I'm working on one of the family bikes and not my own. So I bit the bullet and got a new wheel from the bike shop. Lesson learned I'd say.

I also did something called the Great Cycle challenge which is basically biking and fundraising money to fight kids cancer. I was on a team of 4 and we ended up raising just over $1500. Not bad at all I'd say. It was great for me because I barely changed my habits. I think with just my commute I rode 111km. Plus my joy rides I went around 148km. Not setting any records, but it was fun.

As I improve at fitting and not just welding, I'm seeing just how many avenues open up for me when it comes to running my own business or side hustle. While in school I did small repairs for free, but I think as I get more skilled I can actually do some custom fabrication or more skilled repairs for money. I started watching a Youtube channel named Artfully Rogue which is about a guy that makes his living as a maker/metal fabricator working for himself. He talks about multiple streams of income, and all aspects of running a successful business. It's pretty inspiring honestly. Now that my tools are actually organized (yay!) I'd feel much more confident starting to do stuff for money. The final piece of the puzzle is buying or making a welding table to work on top of. RIght now all I have is the floor and a counter that used to be in our kitchen with a vice on it. In terms or purchasing, I have my eye on this table https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200712274 Quite cheap, and comes with a set of clamps. That's one option. The other option is to build my own. I think if I did do my own the top would be at least 3/16" thick and likely 1/4" thick. Not too heavy, but plenty strong and would resist warping from heat. The tables in the shop are 1/2" thick, but that's a bit much for my purposes :lol:

One more thing. I saw a posting for a job at my local university as a residence caretaker. Basically a maintenance man, with responsibilities ranging from lawn mowing to basic HVAC to dry wall repair. It pays $22.50 an hour which is much better than my current shop pay of $17 an hour. It also seems like it'd be a great fit for my personality with all the variety involved. I put an application in, and I should know in the next week or two if I'm getting an interview. If they want me I'll have a choice to make between jobs. If not I will continue at the metal shop.

That is all, until next time.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Keep wearing your respirator and stick your chest out. You’re smart. You can also say you are allergic to dust and smoke. Everyone has asthma to some degree…just depends how much junk it takes in their bronchial tubes to set it off. Your respirator is just part of your helmet.

And as for grinding mild steel. Smart there too. You work in a welding shop. How many people have touched up a piece of thoriated tungsten on that wheel? As I said above the only hot things in my old house according to my cheap Geiger counter were my red tungsten and the little grinding wheel I used to sharpen electrodes. It was covered in radioactive dust.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Hey thanks Sclass. It's surprising in a way, no one has made a single comment about it.

There are TIG welders in the shop, but I haven't seen them in use yet. I wear the respirator for grinder dust as I know it isn't near as toxic or aluminum or paint dust, but it still isn't good to breathe long term. I remember when I started metal working without any respiratory protection, and I grew to enjoy the smell of grinder dust. Now I have thankfully switched the association to a negative one!

Cam

Post by Cam »

Lots of updates so an earlier entry than usual.

First of all I applied to an electrical apprentice posting in my town recently. It was very exciting because they did not specify in the posting that I needed to be a 2nd year apprentice or higher as all the other postings around here do. I applied, got invited for an interview, and interviewed. It went great! I could tell they really like me and my drive to learn. However a few days later I got an email saying I didn't get the position. They had found someone who had more experience, which for them is better as they're very busy and don't have much time to train right now. I was still really disappointed though. I ended up crying that morning I got that email because the frustration got to me. I took an electrical pre apprenticeship program. I have a full set (and I mean full, I'm ready to be a journeyman basically) of high quality electrical tools. I have experience working with power tools, and I have my own reliable transportation. Even with all that I have been unable to get in anywhere for at least a year.

I think if I do want to get into electrical I'm going to have to bite the bullet and move to southern Ontario for a year to get my initial experience. There are plenty of postings down there all the time, and some of them do not specify that they don't want first years. Or move further up north to one of the mines where they really need folks.

Welding and fabricating is a ton of fun, but I can feel it slowly killing me. I know that sounds dramatic, but there isn't any way around it being a toxic job, especially in a shop environment. I am always breathing either paint fumes, grinder dust, or weld smoke. I was cutting stainless steel with an angle grinder today, and I had my respirator on. But I noticed eye irritation after cutting it. Not severe, but noticeable. I had safety glasses and a face shield on, but I think almost a cloud of fine dust forms when you're doing lots of cutting and some managed to irritate my eyes. It sucks because I do love the field. It's fast paced but I work with good people who are willing to teach me. Everyone except the foremen have dark circles under their eyes though, and my hypothesis is that it's breathing the funky stuff taking a toll. I think the foreman are fine because they spend most of the time in the office or walking around doing quality control.

I do wear my respirator whenever I'm grinding or welding, not matter what material or process. I could wear the respirator all day, but it gets seriously uncomfortable after about 5 hours on. By wearing the respirator I'm eliminating most of the toxic stuff, but not all of it.

On the plus side, I have stopped working out but you'd never know looking at a me. My back, chest, and arms are noticeably stronger. Grinding and lifting heavy stuff will do that! Because I'm still eating well, fasting, and getting cardio biking to and from work, I am pretty ripped in my humble opinion.

I am getting much better at fabricating too. This week I was fixing someone else's screwups. There are about 30 parts cut out of 3/4" material that have two 3/8" (9.8mm) tapped holes drilled in them. The issue was that ~20 of the pieces had the holes drilled off center but about 1-2mm. Doesn't sound like much, but the bolts simply won't go into the holes if they're off. So I plug welded! I put a chunk of aluminum (nothing steel related will stick to it) down, then put the pieces on top. Then took my welding gun and pointed it right down into the hole, then pulled the trigger until the hole was entirely filled with weld. Then I ground the face flush, and voila! It was as if the holes were never drilled. The magic of working with metal!

Then I laid the holes out again with a relatively new guy who helped me out. I would have asked one of the experienced guys, but they were all too busy. So I laid out the some holes. 20mm in, then 225mm from that hole, and 19mm in from the side for both holes. The dimensions aren't important, I just have them memorized now from doing it so much :lol: I drilled a hole after the newer guy showed me how on the drill press. I missed! I was off center. So I asked a more experienced guy what I did wrong. He said that with plasma cut parts, especially on thicker material (the parts are 3/4" or 19mm thick) you need to layout on the side where the plasma gun was pointed. Plasma cut parts always have a slight angle to them. It's unnoticeable on thin material, but on the pieces I was working on one side was actually 2mm wider than the other. So I laid out the holes again, this time on the correct side. Then he taught me how to find perfect center using my combination square. Once I got that lesson, it was off to the races. I finished 15 or so parts, and got them tapped too. Tapping is so satisfying.

All my holes were within 0.5mm except for one, which was 1mm off. I asked the experienced guy if it was okay, and he said it'd work. Woo!

I thought I was done after that, but then another guy using the parts I repaired came and told be there were about 10 more that needed fixing too. Well alrighty then I said. Today I was going to start more plug welding, but I was called over to help two guys have been there a combined 50+ years. It was amazing seeing how they communicate so smoothly. They're like a single unit. I helped them dismantle a skid that will become part of a salt mine drilling machine. All aluminum with stainless steel wear plates. Then I went and helped out another guy who's been there 9 years fix some stainless parts. I got to show off my angle grinder cutting abilities. I remember when grinders scared me. Now I can cut free hand with one and have it look like the part was cut with a bandsaw. I still have a healthy respect for the things, because they can easily take a finger off or gouge you real good if they kick back or if a disc breaks.

Sooo that was more than I meant to type about metal working. A lot in my head though.

The other thought is starting a Repair Cafe in my hometown. Basically a monthly event where volunteer repair experts and people who need stuff fixed come together. Repairs range from clothing to bicycles to small electrical appliances. Here is the official site for the organization https://www.repaircafe.org/en/

I want to start this in my hometown. Everything about it aligns with my values, including sustainability and building community. I really like the fact that I am not the first to do this. There are over 2200 repair cafes worldwide, just none around here. I live in a city of 50,000+ people so I know there'd be a demand if I got it going. There is a framework out there for me to follow that breaks the process down into individual steps so I don't get overwhelmed. Basically everything from finding a venue to getting funding to finding volunteers and marketing the event. I've been repairing stuff for at least a couple years now, and I love it every time. This seems like a tremendous growth opportunity for me. And because my job ends at 4pm every day, I have plenty of extra time on my hands to devote to it. Being young, I still have a lot of energy left over at the end of the day too.

I'm still in the beginning stages of planning, but I am going to start a Repair Cafe where I live. You can hold me to it. Anyhoo, that is all. Budget update coming at the beginning of October!