200 Error not found

Say hello!!
OffBy2Error

200 Error not found

Post by OffBy2Error »

Created a new account since my account (with different name) from 2018 seems to have been Garbage Collected.

Hello everyone and welcome to my introduction page! Feel free to read it or not, I will not judge harshly either way.

I have been working towards FI for a number of years, more than 5. Some years I control spending such as $12k/year, other years I drown in comfort/waste and spend $27k/year. My biggest Work In Progress is that I am 99% focused on the FI aspect and 1% on the ERE/web/lifestyle/systems/etc side. I am actually financially setup enough where if I had any monetized hobbies I could probably retire now, but instead cannot. This is a massive issue as I am still retiring-from (instead of retiring-to) and it means that using viewtopic.php?p=128954#p128954 I will only have the portfolio to support me. Lots and lots of reasons this is bad, I know.

I think my main 2 objectives (maybe goal is a better word, the attempt was for these to be objectives) here are:
1) Figure out how to find hobbies I want to do to compliment my life/web.
2) (much lower priority) Belonging to a group which is in the direction I want my life to go in.

Number 1 is certainly the more critical to me as I have no idea how to do that. I am just not a driven person (unless I need to take an Uber for long-distance reasons). I assumed as I stopped owning a car 2.5 years ago, cut out most consumerism and subscriptions, and followed the step-by-step ERE things that at some point some of those higher-level-systems would start to happen and they never have. I am totally content spending all day doing nothing constructive like watching videos on physics/engineering/music or going for an all-day walk. I am not interested in actually DOING any of the science/engineering (I have done actual engineering but I am currently a software dev), interacting with people, gardening, etc.

Last bit of context for the prior paragraph: I have actually taken several multi-month breaks during my career (which is certainly a small part of why I am still working) and I really just do nothing constructive most days. Just wanted to answer the expected hobby-question of "what do you do on vacations?".

To wrap this up: I am looking forward to having a not-garbage-collected account as I read through lots of posts and consider replying to messages which seem like part of a conversation I want to be part of. Thanks!

ertyu

Re: 200 Error not found

Post by ertyu »

OffBy2Error wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:01 pm
I am just not a driven person (unless I need to take an Uber
:lol: this was clever and made me laugh

Another person content to just bum around here. I seem to have dealt with what you're describing by committing to projects that then force me to learn to do things. I bought a fixer-upper apartment and I hope to fix it up, little by little. I don't know whether that's the best approach: I seem to have replaced the obligation/guilt towards work with an obligation/guilt towards my project. Looking forward to what you come up with.