mountainFrugal Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
mountainFrugal

Re: mountainFrugal Journal

Post by mountainFrugal »

TL;DR - I am continuing on a similar path to my journal entries over the past few years, only deeper on some subjects. Here are those thoughts in detail for those interested in my informal journal style.

I was chatting with @theanimal about how I was having a great time working through each of my comics production books for this month's skillathon activities and how I might just work through the rest of my art book library in the coming years in a similar manor. Spend a set amount of time with each book, do exercises, make sketchnotes and then move onto another book. @theanimal said if I (re)worked through all ~100 art books in this way then I would essentially have a DIY MFA. Something gelled with this idea seed. Why stop there? Why not work towards "DIY masters" degrees in all the things I am interested in as an extension the skillathon... going even deeper on topics. At the same time, DW and I have been working on updating our 5 year goals for 2024-2028 or where do we want to be (besides where we are...ha!) on Jan 1, 2029? Obviously things will not turn out like how I plan, but I might as well think through it as an exercise. The last time we did this was over the pandemic and into 2021.

I posted those goals here- viewtopic.php?p=243179#p243179

While the general direction outlined in 2021 is still the same general direction as I have now, I add many more details and some clarity about how to integrate different components through blogging, zines, exploration and art learning.

# MAKE
Drawing - There is not an exact definition to this but continue moving towards Level 7 (mostly reference, some imagination)- then onto level 8 (concept artist level, mixture reference imagination).

Overlapping DIY MFA Cluster:
DIY Illustration MFA - fundamentals + accurate imagination drawing
DIY Painting MFA - focus on color and color theory
DIY Design Drawing MFA - Design Sketching of my bicycles, their components, how the components work individually and as sub-systems.
Natural History Scientific Illustration - There are graduate certificates for this - so I just stole the curriculum

The zine series I am focusing on now as my main catch all for learning, art, writing, exploration and data visualization is called Montology - the study of mountains and culture. If I stick to the schedule, 20 issues in 5 years of creative and integrated learning products.

Along the way for the Montology issues I will be publishing increasingly longer comics stories working up to an ~80 pager graphic novel. This is a masters level project so lets throw in another DIY MFA there as well.

We have a three year lease (through 2026) for our gallery/classroom/studio space (with option to extend). I plan on putting together a large gallery show called Graphic Watershed with all the original artwork I do for the zines and other learning projects.

# LIVE
This entire section is planned out through discussions with DW. We are first and foremost always going to prioritize growth in our relationship and putting in the joyful work on our relationship with a focus on continually getting better at communication.

We also are doubling down on the local community. We want to expand our dinner parties to outdoor events where we sit around a large viking table and continue being frequent pillars of our sub-community. This includes designed more outdoor cooking spaces with a wood-fire oven for pizza with wild foraged mushrooms and other toppings as well as sourdough the next day.

DW and I have wanted to do a bit of international travel since we started dating (we consider Alaska international...because it basically is haha). We have opted for more adventure travel in the van, especially since the pandemic. We had planned on visiting DW's parents in Australia and then slow traveling New Zealand starting in November of 2020, but we all know why those plans changed. In the next few years we would like to get back there and Alaska (my Uncle and Aunt + @theanimals). A shorter trip that would focus on the cultural history of Mexico and cooking classes would be to Mexico City. We still like wild places and if opportunities come up with multiple goal alignment for Patagonia or Iceland we will take them.

I have done a lot of travel throughout my scientific career and for adventures. In a similar way to making new zines on topics I am learning about, I want to also make smaller travel zines/illustrations revisiting photos and journal entries from past trips. Here is a general list of trips I have yet to reflect on in that way. This also includes thinking about how to make some of the meals that I had while traveling to make a retrospective cookbook.

As we spend more time and seasons traveling in the van and in our home, we continually discover little nuances of how they work as systems. Indeed, as we change as people and interact with these forms of housing their meaning is likely to change because our context has changed. Document it for further reflection!

# THINK
The science journalism/writing masters degree from MIT is pretty straight forward in the number of pieces you will produce during the program. This is more or less equivalent to a year of the main articles I write for the Montology zines and on my planned in-depth blog posts. I wrote about this a few times in my journal above.

The most technically demanding subjects I want to learn is the equivalent of an undergraduate and masters degree in mechanical engineering, but focusing on bicycles and suspension. I am putting together the curriculum right now. This will be more along the lines of Scott Young's Ultralearning project for Computer Science, but not nearly as compressed in time and focusing on the mechanical engineering topics around bicycles only. In addition to sketchnotes and at least a yearly zine focused on bikes, it would be cool to try designing a bike and some components in CAD and do some finite element analysis using some of the open-source programs. I am always open to suggestions here from the various ERE engineers, but this project is more for knowledge of how this all works and how to appropriately model the static and dynamic forces on components. This also ties into the Design Drawing of all my bicycles and their components.

Building on the human anatomy and physiology classes I took as undergrad electives, I would like to learn even more about exercise physiology and human Kinetics. This ties into the engineering classes above, but from the human side of the system. This project will focus around coding up the models found in the book Biomechanics and Exercise Physiology Quantitative Modeling by Arthur Johnson.

I now have two art businesses. An adventure art business that will be making all the content that goes into the Montology Zines (Biz 2) as well as a gallery/classroom/studio business (Biz 1). I am optimistic that through ramping up the commissions, selling zines, and selling original art I can get all of my art related expenses fully covered in a few months. In 5 years this business should fully cover all of my expenses. The Adventure Art business rents space from the gallery/studio business. I will teach environmental and nature based art/science classes and retreats through Biz 1. I want to continue to learn more depth on fish biology and river ecosystems as well as ecology specific to alpine environments. Once again I will learn all this, sketch note it, write it up and turn it into content for the Montology series.

# EXPLORE
A consistent theme of Montology is fly-fishing and exploring different watersheds for this purpose. We have three watersheds within human powered distance. I would like to fish all the major and three of the minor tributaries to each river. I will continue to explore these watersheds via bikepacking, backpacking, trail running, or skiing.

Bikepacking - 1 trip per year minimum
Backpacking - revisit watershed where Late DW's ashes are scattered once a year
Trail Running- Complete our range traverse project with trail running friend
MONTOLOGY ZINE CONTENT!

In 5 years I want to be an even better local naturalist. I have various endemic species lists from my friend on iNaturalist to go out and see if I can find IRL Pokemon! I also have some coordinates of various archeological sites to go visit and take it all in. One of my non-fiction writing inspirations is Craig Childs. This is what he does. All of these skills feed into taking art retreat clients out during various seasons for learning about the local environment and being a better plein air instructor.

And there you have it. A 5 year vision (goal map) that leverages current skills and interests to go even deeper on some topics, learn new ones, and maintain the best of what I already have going on. After this exercise, it is beginning to feel like this is just one single project.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I spent a few hours re-org-ing my Obsidian vaults and my Zotero PDF manager. I moved the relevant research projects over to my personal project vault. I touched nearly every note to decide where it goes (about 15% deleted!). Many of my academic research projects are winding down so those were easy to organize and archive. Now the structure of Obsidian and Zotero perfectly mirrors the MAKE, LIVE, THINK, EXPLORE structure of my 5 year goal map pictured in the previous post and my 2024 Skillathon goals. Before today, the MAKE, LIVE, and EXPLORE notes, pdfs and books were sort of haphazardly organized because a majority of my computer time was spent on THINK projects. However, with the new businesses and creative projects overlapping significantly with these other categories I am setting myself up for organizational success at the outset. #yakshaving

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

The five year plan sounds epic, and having your obsidian system organized to mirror it makes a lot of sense*. The DIY mechE curriculum sounds amazing, I'm curious what you come up with. I don't have much to contribute there as my curriculum skewed heavy towards thermo, fluids, and hvac tech electives once I'd set my sights on the built environment. I hear you on not trying to rush it, but the standard pace is for chumps and if you're Going Directly Ahead on the topics relevant to bikes, I wouldn't expect it to take terribly long to get where you want to go since you'll get to skip a bunch of irrelevant material.

*I've currently got, like, two yaks, and one is getting hella shaggy and the other one has a dread-hawk thing going on... :?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Hey mF, would you be willing to share more deets about your van? IRC it's a Ford Transit, which you and DW use quite a bit? Did you DIY or purchase something pre-built?

DW and I are trying to determine our best mode of transportation/housing for the second half of 2024 and beyond and strongly debating the pro's and cons of something like a high roof van/class B vs. small teardrop of fiberglass tow behind vs. small compact car + tent/AirBnB.

We would be using it specifically to explore the Western USA from August-November of this year (EREfest included) and then if it made economical sense either keep it long term or resell if our path ends up leading us abroad for extended periods of time in the future.

We want to minimize reliance on reservations/paid sites, but also want a safe place to sleep that isn't a complete PITA to set up and tear down every time we want to move.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:07 am
We want to minimize reliance on reservations/paid sites, but also want a safe place to sleep that isn't a complete PITA to set up and tear down every time we want to move.
The car+tent is out for the first condition, but tent/camp set up quickly gets efficient with a little practice. The smaller the tent and the less complicated the sleeping arrangement, the faster it is. The packing and storing of the tent also matters. We used to have a 3 person tent that one could just stuff in a sack or flip over to dry the bottom w/o taking it apart. Maybe 10 mins to set up and break camp, total. Now we have 5-6 person tent that needs to be nailed to the ground for structural integrity and which must be carefully folded for a tight fight in the bag. Making camp takes more like 20 mins. The upside of the latter is that it doesn't suck if we get rained or skeetered out. That particular situation is one were I could imagine that the otherwise sexy teardrops would really suck.

Add: I think the "best answer" really depends on your stay/move ratio. We usually go to ONE place and stay there and then we go home again. We also spend a significant amount of time at the campsite: cooking dinner, reading, looking at birds, swatting skeeters, roasting marshmallows, burning wood,... The choice would be different if we were gone all day and just came back to the site to sleep (which is how some go camping).

Funny though that the Transit was also on my shortlist. Can a 6'2"+ person sleep lengthwise in that?

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@AxelHeyst - I realize that there is a huge benefit to going all in at once. I still plan on somewhat doing that, however only in three month chunks per year to make the bike related zine issue for that year. I will still be working on bikes and sketching them throughout the rest of they year so it will not be all lost when I pick it back up each time. 3/4 chump ha! MechE is a wide ranging discipline and I am not trying in anyway to become certified! ha! I have not come up with the specifics of the curriculum yet but am going to start designing it based on the free resources here: https://github.com/m2n037/awesome-mecheng and on MITs opencourseware website: https://ocw.mit.edu/search/?d=Mechanica ... _coursenum

I am a fairly competent simulation modeler, so I plan on coding a lot of the examples/exercises in Python. I will just brush up on or learn any new math concepts as I go.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@jacob - Yes! The bed platform is just shy of 77 inches in length and the height inside the current build is also 77 inches. You would be able to fit on the bed or standing up. We fit a queen sized mattress in there. Rearranging some long pillows and our large duffel bags, you can make a number of comfortable seating arrangements on the bed.

@2b1s - It is a 2015 Ford Transit 250 Hightop with a 148 wheel base purchased with 16000 miles in early 2017 for 25k cash + ~4k in build out. The current bluebook value of the van (without the build out), is $30-34k. This model is the largest that will fit in a standard parking spot. They also make extra long ones, but that would much more of a pain. We did the build (continue to do, ha!) ourselves. It was quite a challenge trying to build something in an apartment parking lot in the city while also watching the tools AT ALL TIMES. haha. Fortunately, I lived within walking distance from a hardware store and about 2 miles from a West Marine (all our electrical components).

We chose this model because it is basically a larger version of the Ford F150 truck. Same chassis and engine. While I am pretty handy, if we did need to get work done, many mechanics can work on this type of engine and parts are more abundant (also considered diesel).

There are tradeoffs for everything of course and we actually rebuilt the main living area a few times based on needs. We keep it pretty minimalist and flexible (e.g. we are not going to put a ton of time into building cabinets when milk crates are way more flexible and can be taken inside).

The one thing we wish we did have is AWD or 4WD. So far we have gotten along without it, but only through planning and also owning my 2011 Subaru. Snow tires solve a lot of the issues, but not on sand or gravel bars (we spend time on these frequently fishing).

The largest upgrades that are worth buying outright if you will be living in/out of a van is swivel chairs for captain and copilot seat (see image) and a magnetic bug net for the slider and back doors that is custom to your specific model. Roll these down and it instantly turns your van into a large screened-in porch. We had a bunch of netting that we would use (also with magnets), but it was always an 80% solution and a gigantic hassle.

@jacob brings up some good points about just keeping is simple with a car and tent. If you stay somewhere for a few days then inevitably you will have to get the van "sea worthy" again before taking off. So it is not a 0 time cost. A large tent will serve you well and will be a heck of a lot cheaper than a van! haha. Have I gotten 25k worth of enjoyment out of the van? That is hard to answer. Would I have taken less trips because of the ease of the van? Yes. Overall has it been worth it? Yes, but not overwhelmingly so.

Here are some anti-instagram photos of our van that capture good ERE talking points. :). (an aside, we have a ton of nice photos of the build and planned on doing a blog. Then we asked ourselves if the world needed another privileged white couple from the Bay Area van blog? The answer is almost certainly no. Now I just share mostly illustrations and selective photos.)

Left: Current inside of the van. I was doing some work in there so we temporarily removed the mattress.

Middle: Swivel chairs increase the usable space inside by ~20%. You can also nap with these fully reclined and sleep a few additional people if you had to.

Right: Van with bed/mattress above the garage. This photo is taken after we packed for ERE fest. Bikes, adventure gear, lots of books, shared activities, pickles etc. Normal trips would be less packed. The top right of the garage is a collapsible table. That space is perfectly designed to fit our backcountry ski bag and our XC ski bag.

Feel free to ask any more questions or for additional photos I can PM the links to you.

calamityjane

Post by calamityjane »

Craig Childs is one of my favorite writers too. Let me know if you want any recommendations for archaeological sites in the SW! Does 3 Rivers refer to the site in NM? That's where I did my thesis work and continue to focus some of my research. :)

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

calamityjane wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:22 pm
Craig Childs is one of my favorite writers too. Let me know if you want any recommendations for archaeological sites in the SW! Does 3 Rivers refer to the site in NM? That's where I did my thesis work and continue to focus some of my research. :)
Childs strikes a balance between Edward Abbey, Berry Lopez, and John McPhee while also having fun adventures. :). I recently got a reprint of his first book "Stone Desert" that has the orginal book on one side and his journal entries and sketches from the field that went into the book. While this is not my favorite book of his, having both together is really cool.

If I am headed back to the SW I will reach out! Your local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. The three rivers is my nickname for a local river/stream system within riding/running/hiking distance.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Gallery/Classroom/Studio Update

After work-ending every weekend for the past 1.5 months we are starting to see some real progress. We finished the drywall and office build out. We got the classroom primed (3 coats, mF left) and ready for final coat of paint. We notice some water seeping into the classroom after a drain outside got a bit clogged with all the rain we have been having. The vinyl flooring that is pictured in the classroom (under me on the stool) was going to be covered with click flooring. NO MORE! The concrete floor had been sweating and produced a layer of water damage/mold UNDER the vinyl. It was scary how easy it was to remove without tools! My contractor business partner borrowed a laser level from another contractor. The floor in the front gallery space AND the classroom are more than an inch out of level (~2.5 cm) over 10 feet (~3m, Top Right). Yikes! Old buildings! The building made the raw concrete floor look a forced decision unless we wanted to scrape up the vinyl to reapply vinyl. More work for us, but WAY less cost. The gallery vinyl floor (which was under carpet before) also needs to come up, but is properly adhered (bottom right, left side). I started going to work with a scrapper while listening to audio books for a few hours to only get 1/5 of the way done. My new favorite contractor phrase that is relevant here is the vinyl floor is a "Pain in the dick".

The current next steps are to finish removing the vinyl floor and adhesive, mount and hang large areas of pop out drywall for painting displays, cleanly finish/texture all the dry wall (only thing we will subcontract because business partner has great relationship with specialist), mill all the trim and baseboards (secured large sugar pine log), prime/paint, lights, and clean up.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Incredible updates as always @mF! Thank you for all the time and attention and detail you put into your updates They are always a pleasure to read and the effort you put in makes them so helpful and meaningful!

Question about your goal map... How did you approach your goal setting? Just brain storm a list of things you think sound like things you want to do? Do you tie them back to any sort of values/priorities and longer term goals? Asking because I'm going thru a phase where I'm trying to be more intentional about my time, my health and feeling like some structure would help. Feels like "hey, define your values and set some goals" and I guess I'm looking for something of a process or tool to help define those values/priorities, map projects/tasks to them etc. Ultimately want to tie it into some GTD-ish system to help me decide how to spend my time in the moment.

Henry

Post by Henry »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:08 pm
My new favorite contractor phrase that is relevant here is the vinyl floor is a "Pain in the dick".
I was introduced to the phrase a few years back but as "Pain in my dick." The guy who passed it along to me died tragically in an automobile accident. I don't use it that much but now that you mention it I should employ it more as an homage to the guy who died. It's a good phrase.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It's quite familiar to me, likely because the high level of mechanical/electrical engineers in my social circle has me only one degree of separation from multitude of contractors. I also think I reside in a region from which phrases like that originate. In fact, when I was a teenager, I might frequently be heard expressing the affirmative with "Fuckin' A, man." when in the company of my more "freak" than "geek" friends.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@henry - There is something immediate, acute, and visceral in the phrase that makes it a great descriptor. Glad you rediscovered it here and it is a good way to honor your friend. "East coast bears are a pain in the dick".

@7w5 - This does seem inline with midwestern humor... which is why I like it so much.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@sodatrain - This is both simple and hard to answer. I have been thinking about this and iterating on it for the past three years every month. What clarity you see in the current 5 year plan (right) has been refined from an earlier 5 year plan (2021-2026 Left). The yearly plan (middle) is just a subset. You will notice that I have the same general organizational categories of MAKE, LIVE, THINK, EXPLORE, but now my art/design/sketchnote skills have improved dramatically. The same things that interested me in 2021 still interest me. I have many interests, but they are still somewhat contained within these realms. When I was hardcore into academia, the only thing I cared about was the THINK category and a sprinkling of the other categories. Now I spend my time in a balance of all of them.

The newest iteration for this year and for the next 5 year may seem like there are many projects, but in reality there are significant overlaps. I have gotten really good at identifying overlaps in how to spend my time on activities that accomplish multiple goals at once.

As an example. Last night I had some artist friends over for an impromptu dinner. I cooked a large pot of tortilla soup, we chatted about art and listened to music. I am going to make bone broth from the left over chicken bones. Part of the bonebroth will go into wildrice for the week. The other part will be frozen for the next few weeks when we do not cook with meat. My artist guests sketched while I cooked. We ate together and then sat around my fireplace and all sketched. We shared progress, ideas, critiques, art youtube recs, some friendly shit talking, etc. I was casually working on sketching and learning the names of local amphibians and birds from a nature book. These are part of the nature art class I want to teach for my new joint business. I will sell prints from paintings I do from my own photo references as part of my soloprenuer art business. There is not a single category or subcategory that I was "working on". I was working on all of them at the same time, but it did not feel like work at all. It was just living.

Are you in this for the long haul? Having a long term view of this will help because that is how compounding works. You need time to compound these gains.

So where to start? Think about internal and external things/people/ideas/organization/causes you care about. Make a large list. Then start writing identity based goals/habits out.

Here is a post from James Clear explaining the concept: https://jamesclear.com/identity-based-habits
You can see mine here: viewtopic.php?p=242903#p242903

Work on identity based goals for a while and get good at being consistent. 60/40 over the long run is WAY better than 100% for a month and then 0 for the rest of you life.

Then from there you can start optimizing things by using advanced productivity tools like GTD* and/or analyzing using reverse fishbone diagrams.

Once you have a balance and many iterations for these concepts then move on to constructing a Web of Goals (WOG). This is how I am thinking about WOGs, but you will have to figure out what makes sense for you internally and externally:
viewtopic.php?p=279690#p279690

*An argument could be made to start with an organized system like this first if you are disorganized person. However, if you are having trouble figuring out what to do with your time, you likely need to experiment with other things than just organization.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@mF:

Yeah, one thing I've noticed recently is the British invasion of men using the work "c*nt" as a relatively mild statement to another man, whereas it used to be the worst word a man could use in reference to a woman, like a whole order of magnitude worse than "b*tch." The thing my students say which they never are able to adequately explain to me is "Yo hairline." , although it is clear from context that it roughly signals being uncool.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@sodatrain — MF and AxelHeyst touch on answers to your questions in the excellent podcast they did together . Not sure if you've heard it already, but figured it can't hurt to plug it anyway.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

@mF - WOW excellent stuff, amigo! I really appreciate the thought and effort you put into that. I will sit down and digest it properly soon. One question for now... where/how did you come to MAKE, EXPLORE, THINK, LIVE. It resonates and feels good!

@Smashter - thanks for pointing that out! I listened to it shortly after it came out (and before meeting @mF at EREFest23) so I'll give it another listen!

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Thanks @sodatrain. I came up with MAKE, LIVE, THINK, EXPLORE through iteration and doing monthly checklists, reviews and journaling. I just reviewed some old journals. I had many of the individual categories starting in 2017, but then switched over to these broader ones in early 2021 after my art sabbatical and as I started my research gig. Please do use for your own purposes, iterate on it, and report back.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Will there be a line of wall stickers and towels eventually? I'll trade some "MAKE, THINK, EXPLORE" stuff for some "LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH" towels. Seriously though, I'm surprised there hasn't been any subversive FIRE or ERE merch(*) yet. Maybe there has and I just haven't noticed.

(*) I'm aware of the irony. Still, live (love and laugh) with the paradox.