not sure but i'll try Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Salathor

Re: not sure but i'll try Journal

Post by Salathor »

Congrats on the bible in a year! I've tried it but never made it through a whole year consistently.

not sure

Post by not sure »

It was definitely a stretch goal for me!

not sure

Post by not sure »

Notes on the progress.
It has now been 2 weeks on no (very low?) sugar. Surprisingly, no cravings - I’ve been able to walk past dessert section at a catered lunch recently without internal turmoil. My alcohol consumption has gone up slightly as it replaced dessert in the “what the heck do I want now” category after dinner. Probably a glass of wine/beer 2-3 times a week.
Continuing with the burpees - around 50-70/day now. Noticing the effect on posture - it’s subtle, but nice - a feeling of self-assurance, walking upright because the body is well-exercised, has done something difficult and have the muscles to show for it ;-)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

not sure wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:21 am
It has now been 2 weeks on no (very low?) sugar. Surprisingly, no cravings - I’ve been able to walk past dessert section at a catered lunch recently without internal turmoil.
Do share more about this mystical magical state, being able to walk past the desserts without inner turmoil :lol: How was the process of reaching this place? How did you change your diet - all at once, little by little, just cut out obvious sugar or bread and other carbs, too? I'd be curious

not sure

Post by not sure »

Honestly, not sure what the magic combination is.
I know I am capable of it as a few years back I stopped eating chocolate. Overnight. And that lasted 7 or 8 years. The reason for that was meaningful enough for me to stick with it initially, and then I got used to it.
It was a single point decision, not little-by-little.

Full disclosure, I tried cutting out sugar before and was not successful.
This time, it was a clean switch. I think my reasoning for it was:
1) it's good for all of the systems in my body - weight and dental are obvious, but cardiovascular, digestion and other systems benefit from a more "natural" diet, too
2) there are plenty of other yummy foods
3) our bodies aren't designed to consume as much sugar as is available to us and consumed regularly.

But I don't know what combination of those, or other timing is making it stick.

And it's not carbs, just added sugar. I still eat bread, fruits. As a vegetarian, many of my calories come from carbs.
In general, I try to avoid super-processed foods. I also figure that if I have a small amount of dressing that has a small amount of sugar (not the first ingredient, lol), it'll be ok.

So I wish I knew what the formula is - it'd be so easy to apply to other good habits!
Accountability is a good recipe for making something stick long term. Once all my friends knew that I did not eat chocolate a few years ago, they stopped offering :)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Seems like cold turkey works better, and then just remind yourself of your motivation until body adjusts. Good work! Very cool.

not sure

November 2023 update

Post by not sure »

Finances: getting solidly over our half-way number was cool, although in many ways it's just a number.
One of the main reasons for working next year has crystallised: it is to max out my employer’s matching for donations. The matching is pretty generous at 20-25k, and I found a couple of charities that I’d like to give the bulk of that to. They are Christian at the core but providing relief and medical services in regions of very high need, so they qualify for company matching.
I am very excited about that, although it has been a challenge to talk DH into giving so much more on top of our current commitments.
So I guess it’s one more year (OMY) with a twist for me where I’ll be slowly weaning myself off the high salary mindset.

Otherwise, finances continue somewhat on an autopilot - we’ve increased spending consciously in a couple of areas - planning some travel and spending a bit more on meaningful (for us) activities, gifts, some clothing/shoe purchases.

Health-wise: continue with exercise 2-3 times a day, working on my eating habits.
Thinking more seriously about pilates for health reasons - got a book on it from the library and watching a Udemy course on the foundations of breathing, positioning during exercises and other foundations.

I continue slowly with the quilting project. It is coming along very slowly, but I am still enjoying the process. Usually gives me a chance to listen to a good podcast while at it.

Work has been busy, but I am successfully protecting my "outside of work time”, probably at the expense of career progression (for which I don’t really care anyway).