jacob interviewed on the madFIentist podcast

Questions and comments
horsewoman

Re: jacob interviewed on the madFIentist podcast

Post by horsewoman »

@uk-with-kids - this?

John Maynard Keynes - "The government should pay people to dig holes in the ground and then fill them up."

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Good podcast - thanks Jacob!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

UK-with-kids wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:57 am
I think there is a common hypothetical analogy in economics of one group digging holes and another group filling them in. Somewhere I read about how that kind of already happens with the sugary food and drink industry causing diabetes and then the pharma companies making drugs to cure it. Can't remember if that was Jacob or somewhere else in the FI blogosphere.
Yes, the digging holes and filling them up to stimulate economic growth is Keynes. The Broken Window Fallacy is Bastiat (https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Essays_o ... s_Not_Seen )---these two stand somewhat in opposition to each other depending on what you measure (e.g. GDP, job satisfaction, or second-order effects). I'm pretty sure the soft-drink/pharmacy was me commenting on the Dow Jones on some blog post... and the quip about 50% of the economy creating problems for the other 50% was originally inspired by Jeff Yeager (the Cheapskate).

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Seppia wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 pm
2/ let’s start a go fund me to buy Jacob a new mic
:lol:

he could buy us all new mics, but yes, he and the interviewer were in 2 different audio planets: interviewer came clear and warm but i had a bit of trouble understanding jacob at times (nothing to do with "accents" or anything, just audio quality).

there are many ways to do this diy/ on the cheap, depending on space, need, etc. mic type could be a wireless lavalier or a vocal condenser mic, either xlr or usb. xlr is forever (pretty much), but interfaces will change with technology.

this is a very good mic, not glorious or anything, but solid, for sale here used, and being a usb setup it's ready
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica ... 4835790824
assuming usb will be with us for a long time with the help of adapter cables (usb c to usb a abounds)
i used to have the xlr version but sold it.
easy to place on a tabletop or mount on a boom.

for those who prefer to walk and talk a wireless lavalier could work also
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UHF-Wireless-L ... 4731051712
this one is cheap and could work provided you have the right jacks in the computer (mic or line level should be adjustable in receiver unit).

here is a cheap usb vocal mic
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-B ... 4722837919
it's an imitation of the at above and likely not as solidly built but should be sufficient for improved clarity.

here's a cheaptastic usb connector for 3.5mm audio? (eg for the lav)
oops forgot to paste link https://www.jpcycles.com/product/138-35 ... input-jack
Last edited by Alphaville on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Alphaville - Yeah, even I had some issues understanding me from time to time! I tend to mumble; I have a somewhat deep voice; I'm sitting in a small room with hard walls.

With more interviews coming up I'm definitely going to buy some kind of solution. I'd rather not have a big microphone sitting around collecting dust for most of the year, so ideally it would be something small that maybe clips onto my collar but connects via USB. I'm almost always talking right in front of a computer. Ideally battery free/taking power from the USB port.

My experience (twice) with the wireless solution is that it's kinda shite if the batteries are weak + there are cable-jack connections which can fail or become noisy as I move/shift around.

Any other gadget recommendations?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

mmmm... maybe a simple usb lav?
https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Conde ... 08P5TZJ8M/

i can't attest for the quality, but something like that would be a start. with such a short cable, just avoid standing up abruptly.

if you talk in front of the computer often (not just interviews but zoom calls etc) a studio mic on a boom could be a permanent feature of your desktop rather than gather dust.

--

eta: samson is decent make/good value and dynamic mic needs no power so the usb interface is built in i guess gut could double as xlr
https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Handheld- ... 001R747SG/
the tabletop tripod looks like it folds and mic you can just shove into a drawer.

will keep an eye out for a reasonable wired lavalier setup in the meantime

--

ok this might be in your sweet spot: small, wired, can be used on tabletop or clipped on clothing, good manufacturer, inexpensive
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... sktop.html

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Alphaville wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am
if you talk in front of the computer often (not just interviews but zoom calls etc) a studio mic on a boom could be a permanent feature of your desktop rather than gather dust.
Ugh, good point. I'd hate owning more electronics, but I talk often enough. How close to the face would a condenser microphone like the Audio Technica have to be or stay?

Add: Crickey, that thing is %#$%#$ huge!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'm not an audio expert by any means, but I've been pretty happy with this inexpensive mic by FIFINE. I also got a cheap pop filter that cleans up the annoying extra noise that can accompany a more sensitive device. Upgrading from my old webcam and/or headphone mic made a huge difference in audio quality, so I'd definitely recommend it if you plan to be talking on the computer a lot.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@jacob

yeah lol they're meant to be grabbed in the fist. dynamic mics are for stage performance etc because they're sturdy. and a larger diaphragm picks up vocals better.

but look at the audio technica from b&h i added. it's small and versatile. you're not going to sound like a night time radio dj with it, but it should improve clarity. only issue with omnidirectional is... well, it's omnidirectional, so it will pick up more noise from the environment. but maybe that lets you pace around the desk while you talk also.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:48 am
check this one

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Microphone-P ... 084GB3697/

i think it's too big for what @jacob wants but pyle is a well established maker of inexpensive audio goods.

actually for a desktop i'd go with this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Microphone-B ... B08BJBX6R2
which lets you reposition the mic as needed (pull up in use, push back in rest)
it's got all the parts needed, even a shockmount, for a great price.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Get a blue snowball. Not too big/expensive. Used ones are pretty cheap on ebay. I agree with Tyler though ... get a pop filter. I also find that I speak more clearly when I'm wearing the headphones as well. Not sure why. You should be able to find a used kit with all 3 for maybe $50.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Good summary. Having just finished the audiobook, it's interesting to note the vast majority is a repeat of that content. A testament to how well the ideas have aged.

You might check the library for recording space or mic check outs. That's a thing they offer now.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:40 pm

You might check the library for recording space or mic check outs. That's a thing they offer now.
damn, i want your public library so much :D
jacob wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 am
How close to the face would a condenser microphone like the Audio Technica have to be or stay?
i got sidetracked by the size issue and never answered this, sorry.

it depends on how loud you speak and the gain on the mic etc.

some people get really up close and "eat" the mic (you'll spot this in live shows).

with a studio mic if working up close (a few inches) you'll want a pop filter to keep the spit out and cut down on your plosives and other artifacts.

if you're loud and a couple of feet away, the pop filter doesn't matter.

from what i've heard, you speak softly and calmly and don't project your voice much, except when laughing etc. so near mic would be good. hence, the boom would work for you to bring up close and clarify the "mumbling" (i dont think you mumble, it's just a bad small mic far away cutting away significant portions of your voice?)

also the large diaphragm would help capture your fundamental frequency (the "low" part of the voice) which adds "warmth" to the sound. a small mic filters towards higher pitches which gets compounded with hard walls reflecting hard frequencies.

tldr you'd sound more persuasive and reach a wider audience with a good vocal mic you can adjust, which would let you take over the world :twisted:

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

That's the upside of living in a high property tax area. My parents district - they even have a maker lab, including a Carvey CNC. The library is a place to learn, that provides social services. The books are an afterthought.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

now i feel like a terrible man encouraging people to buy electronics, but if one wanted an xlr mic (i prefer them, they're "for life"), this looks like a great basic interface for a very good price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

slightly cheaper one
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

Scott 2 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:41 pm
That's the upside of living in a high property tax area.
there are many ;)

(and per the interview @jacob became fi in the bay area then moved to chicagoland)

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

We could call in the resident sound engineer @Jin+Guice but I have no idea how? PM? Or is there a way to make someone aware of a thread?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Great interview. I liked the bit about spending money to reduce friction. Made me start spinning out a bunch of analogies like what sort of “lubricants” can sub out for money.

tdurtsch

Post by tdurtsch »

We use these at work, where we're video chatting nearly all day, every day:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Game- ... 00KK8ZLEC/

The price is a lot higher than some of the others listed here, but they're a solid product. The sound quality of the mic and headphones are good (although I'm no audiophile), and they're comfortable enough for all day wear. Plus, the cable is replaceable!

Could be a good option for those without room for a full microphone setup?

Jean

Post by Jean »

I also have thé Sennheiser headset. I'm very happy with it. You ear a lot of détail in music and good bass. People Always understand what i Say even if i'm mumbling. There is also a mic cut when you lift it, which is handy if you want to eat during a group call. I like that you Can replace only the cable After your your SO cut bread on your desk.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I bought a used Blue Yeti. However, it came w/o a stand, yay me :-P

I've figured out that the thread size for the bottom attachment is 5/8-27 but dunno if it's NC, NF, or tapered. This does not seem to be a standard size (audio equipment only?). Does anyone know where to buy rods/bolts of that size. There are 5/8 to 3/8 adapters ... would the 3/8 conform to a standard rod/bolt i.e. 3/8-16NC?

Also it has two threaded holes in the side. I can't figure out what size they are. (Around 1/4).
Unfortunately I don't have measuring tools. Just a collection of bolts, none of which fit.

Do any of you audio people know?