Silicon spatula avoids food waste

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
horsewoman

Silicon spatula avoids food waste

Post by horsewoman »

A few months ago I bought this little fellow on a whim - mostly because I liked the colour - oh oh - an impulse buy - made of plastic! How very un-ERE!

But, I've gotta say, this thing is awesome. It cleans out every last particle of food, no matter the shape of the container or the type of food.
Last summer when making jams and apple sauce etc. I was amazed how clean the pot was after a swipe with the spatula. Even the very inconveniently placed blades in the kitchen aid blender are no longer a bother to clean up without wasting lots of food sticking to the container.

Maybe everyone save me already owned such a thing and you're thinking "duh, horsewomen!", but this was a revelation to me!
Sometimes plastic is great after all.
I literally use this thing daily, who would have thought?
Last edited by horsewoman on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frita

Re: Silicon spatula avoids food waste

Post by Frita »

@horsewoman
I couldn’t agree more. The wooden one promptly went to the fire pit. My mom gifted me one, which I used until it fell apart. Then she gave me another.
Using this thing to clean a pot of reheated potato soup with crusty sides is the best.

Sidenote: My uncle was a bank president. They would give customers a Christmas gift each year. I think siblings received more. ;) I covered up the bank’s name and location as 1) I realize I need to be more private on this forum and 2) I hope to continue to receive these gifts.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The two part spatulas eventually mold inside the head. Super gross. We ended up with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HDABAQS/

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:35 pm
The two part spatulas eventually mold inside the head. Super gross.
Eeewwww, thanks for the heads up! So far mine is not mouldy, but I will keep that in mind!

@Frita - lol, yes oversharing easily happens here! Rather save than sorry :)

UK-with-kids

Post by UK-with-kids »

I was using one of these last night and thought of this thread. When I pushed it into the bottom of the saucepan where bits of sauce normally get left behind it formed a kind of "silicon valley" and scooped it all out.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

If memory serves, I believe this tool was recommended for this reason in “The Tightwad Gazette.” Maybe along with the recipe for Universal Muffin Mix? :lol:

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Oh wow, I'm really late to that party, it seems! :lol:

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Great memory!

Frita

Post by Frita »

@horsewoman
Another gadget, also given to me by my mom is a Hong Kong pan scraper like this one: https://killick.bandcamp.com/album/pan ... -hong-kong. I use it for doughs, scraping off a work surface and cutting pieces. It is thin and just rigid enough to be quite handy.

The problem with oversharing is more of who gets the info. I was found by a local person (more of a frenemy) last year and went as far as requesting that my account be deleted and then didn’t pull the trigger (Thanks, Jacob!). There are some people who I would prefer to know absolutely nothing about me.

@7W5
Any other Tightwad Gazette greatest hits we need to make sure we’re doing?

@Scott 2
Good find! I know she’s exaggerating with the amount of food salvaged with the spatula. We seem to clean out things pretty when prior to using one.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

@frita I actually have a similar thing, we call it a "dough card", literally translated. It is quite common here in Germany.

Wow, someone actually recognised you from writing here!? How did that person learn of your participation here? I'm curious! Send me a pm if you don't want to write it openly ;)

Frita

Post by Frita »

Ah, dough card is a great name. I shall adopt the terminology.

Ugh, I don’t know exactly, yet my hunch says random Googling motivated by curious jealousy. This person has some connections to other people we know. The joys of a living in a sparsely populated place with poor economy... In hindsight, I probably overreacted.