Jiimmy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Jiimmy

Re: Jiimmy's Journal

Post by Jiimmy »

I’m having a great time on trail! I’m nearing day 40 and am pretty deep into the Sierra Nevada range. Water is less of a concern in this section, which is a nice change. A few hours rest at a clean flowing creek is nearly as good as an overnight stay at a hotel. You can wash up, body and clothing, and feel very refreshed. It doesn’t take much to keep me alive and happy, mostly food, water, basic shelter, and friends.

Body is changing, weight is stable, but I continue to lose upper body muscle and gain lower body muscle. I guess that’s to be expected over a long march such as this. My feet have never been more durable than they are now. Thick, tough skin everywhere. During the last two weeks of the desert section they carried me an average of 27 miles a day. They’d be a bit sore in the evening but make a full recovery overnight.

Spending for May was higher than I had hoped, at $1,300, due to a few gear purchases and pricey resupplies in some remote areas. Groceries alone were over $600. I am eating a lot more, but that still seems high. Oh well, not overly concerned on that front, it’s an afterthought.

Wealth is down to about $210k, from a high of 235k, due to the market fluctuations. Again, just an afterthought, and something I take a look at only every couple of weeks.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That must feel great to be through the desert. You're doing great! 27 miles a day at the start with no major issues. Wow, all that training seems to have paid off!

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Thanks for the update! I was thinking about you and your trip last week, and I'm glad to hear it is going so well. Don't stress too much about the food budget. Keeping calories up is critical to a successful trek, and I'm guessing you'll start finding more free food in hiker boxes the further north you travel. I'm looking forward to the next update. Cheers!

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Animal & WRC — thanks for the kind comments!

Day 70 on the trail is quickly approaching, and it looks like I’ll cross mile 1500 on that day. I should be out of California (wow it’s a big state!!!) before day 80.

I saw my first bear on the trail, just south of Donner Pass.

It’s looking like it’ll take roughly four months to finish the whole trail, barring injuries, natural disasters, or family emergencies.

I feel quite fortunate that I haven’t had to hike through any wildfire smoke so far. I’ve probably hiked 100+ miles through recent burns, mostly in Northern California. It’s interesting to see the various stages of regrowth, but I do get very dirty in these areas, like a chimney sweep, due to all the ash. The feet especially, they’re almost entirely black, but that makes the foot soaks and creek baths that much more enjoyable.

I wonder what I’ll experience in Oregon. I’m not sure what to expect. They had a bit of late snow, which is now melting rapidly. Maybe it’ll be swampy with lots of bugs, or maybe not, who knows! Hopefully the late moisture equates to a low wildfire risk.

Spending was a bit under $1200 for June. Not bad! (Thanks to mom and dad for hosting me for four nights in Mammoth Lakes. I ate two thirds of the groceries they bought for us three.) Subtract charity and we’re around $1075:

$450 groceries
—Still enormous, but an improvement. Would be a bit higher if not for the ~500 calories a day (on average, more on weekends) that I receive freely (without asking) from day hikers, car campers, locals who hang out at the trailheads, and others. For example, I recently stopped to chat with a Lassen Volcanic National Park chainsaw/trail crew. Afterwards they gave me a gallon ziplock bag of leftover pizza, mozzarella sticks, and jalapeño poppers. I ate all of it in ten minutes, even though I had just had lunch. I could be a competitive eater.

$200 hotels
— It’s nice to sleep indoors sometimes, but I’m annoyed that I crave this.

$200 restaurants
— I am a weak human.

$175 gear replacements
— Trekking poles and shoes this month. I did attempt to thrift both, but no luck. For shoes it doesn’t seem to matter what I wear. I’ll try a pair of running shoes from a thrift shop next, if I can find a pair that fits.

$50 transportation
— Hitchhiking, but occasional donations to those that go out of their way.

Wealth is down to 194k as of June 30th. Not even considering job hunting or returning to the poker grind yet. Maybe if the market drops 50% from here.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Good for you, I'm glad the hike is going well! Thanks for the update. :D

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Quick update from the trail:

Oregon was great (apart from the occasional mosquito clouds). Mt Hood/Timberline Lodge, Crater Lake, and Eagle Creek were my favorites.

Washington has been great as well, so far. The Goat Rocks were quite a surprise. Glaciers at 7,000 feet. It felt like I was back in the Sierra for a day.

Just a few hundred miles to go!

shaz

Post by shaz »

Glad to hear it is going well!

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

i did not know this was happening, but it definitely calls to me.

i’m happy it sounds like you’re enjoying yourself

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Well done! You are a hiking machine. I am curious regarding your resupply strategy. Did you just buy food along the way or send yourself boxes? Or a combination of both? DW and I are thinking of doing the PCT next year so I have spent a fair amount of time looking at logistics lately. We would be heading southbound starting in early July.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

@theanimal

I haven’t sent myself any boxes, instead I’ve just resupplied at shops along the way. Occasionally pricey, and occasionally a small selection, but I’m not a picky eater, and don’t have any food allergies or particular requirements. Some resupplies have been more sugary than I’d prefer.

I’d guess I came out about even, cost-wise, considering the postage costs I’ve avoided. I’m an oddball though, almost everyone sends at least a few packages ahead.

Sobo’s have had a rough go of it this year. Many altered their permits to hike north from NorCal or Oregon, due to enormous snow up north. Then they planned to flip back SOBO later, but now have wildfire troubles. I’d go into a SOBO hike expecting to only complete 80% of the trail. Could definitely turn out better though, depending on the year.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

The trail is finished! 113 days from start to finish. More details and maybe some pictures to come, once I’m back home.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Awesome! Congrats! Looking forward to the update post.

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

Nice! Very exciting

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some photos and what you decide to do next.

Western Red Cedar

Congratulations on the successful trek! The few people I've met IRL who've completed the AT or the PCT consider it one of the greatest summers and experiences of their life. Count me among the forum members eager to hear more about the experience, thoughts and reflections.

I'm also keen to hear the details on gear and technical aspects of the trek.
Jiimmy wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm
15lb base weight at the beginning, now around 12lb.

Saved weight by going stoveless, replacing a heavy sleeping pad, and switching to a tarp shelter (which doubles as a rain poncho — the “Gatewood Cape”).

Could save 2lb with a pricey quilt and lighter backpack, but I’m satisfied with the gear for now.

New Opinions/Preferences post-AZT:
1) Hot food and drinks are overrated and not worth the time and effort. Cold soaking is quick, easy, and can be tasty.
2) Cowboy camping is great. Sleeping bag + bug net on the head takes care of any insects.
3) Night hiking with a bright moon is quite enjoyable. And a good way to beat the heat.
4) It’s ok to slow down. If I need ibuprofen two days in a row, then I’m pushing too hard.
5) Proper water planning saves a ton of weight.
Do you still prefer the above? Did you make adjustments to your gear and weight as you moved north?

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

It’s been almost six weeks since finishing the long trail.

Plenty of rest, relaxation, and family time lately, and also quite a few house projects at my parent’s and brother’s. Most recently it’s been fencing, siding, painting, and kitchen cabinets.

I also went on a nine day hike to finish the Arizona Trail, the northern bit I skipped in the spring, from the AZ/UT border down to Flagstaff. Apart from the Grand Canyon, it seemed like a great section to mountain bike. Smooth trails, and nothing too steep, unlike the southern portion of the AZT.

The two trails total ~3,400 miles, which took me 152 days, plus a few weeks of rest between trails. I’m very happy that I decided to do this. Walking is my favorite way to explore by far. There’s also something special about sleeping outdoors, and being surrounded by the natural sights and sounds.

@WRC
I added a bug net tent (the “Serenity Net Tent”) in Mammoth Lakes. The bugs were pretty thick for a few days south of there, and then also in Yosemite.

After Yosemite I had a break from the bugs for almost a month, all the way until hwy 140/Fish Lake Resort in Southern OR. From there to Canada, they never really went away. I was so happy I had the tent. My plan for a sleeping bag + bug head net works ok in cool weather (when you actually want to be in the sleeping bag) and when the bugs aren’t very thick, but when it’s really warm and there are swarms of mosquitoes or biting flies that setup is pretty rough.

Looking forward, my immediate plans involve hanging out here in Phoenix and helping with more house projects. There might be a road trip to the Midwest and Ontario soon, then I’m thinking the winter will be spent bussing and hiking around Mexico and Guatemala.

Finances are a mixed bag. Spending was only $500 in September, as a bit of work is being traded for room and board. Charity was increased to $165/mo. Rolling 12 month spend is at 13k and dropping fast. On the other hand, wealth is now down to $177k, from a high last winter of $235k. Still fully invested, cool, calm, and collected. 98% stocks (50/50 US/Intl), 2% bonds.

Western Red Cedar

It is great to hear the market turbulence doesn't seem to be affecting you. I suppose walking across the US and spending months sleeping up in the mountains helps put things in perspective 8-)
Jiimmy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:40 am
After Yosemite I had a break from the bugs for almost a month, all the way until hwy 140/Fish Lake Resort in Southern OR. From there to Canada, they never really went away.
I was actually a bit flabbergasted to hear you started the trip without a tent. I remember the bugs being brutal on the section I hiked (Ashland to Bend) in 2008. I timed the trip to follow the snowmelt so that we would have plenty of access to water, but didn't realize that we were also following new mosquito colonies the whole way :lol:

The nice part of that experience is that mosquitoes don't bother me too much anymore in the backcountry. Definitely still a nuisance, but never as bad as the alpine lakes in southern Oregon.
Jiimmy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:40 am
Looking forward, my immediate plans involve hanging out here in Phoenix and helping with more house projects. There might be a road trip to the Midwest and Ontario soon, then I’m thinking the winter will be spent bussing and hiking around Mexico and Guatemala.
Mexico and Guatemala are great for independent travel. What areas are you thinking of traveling to? Any particular agenda or theme for the trip?

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Yo WRC! Thanks for the post, always enjoy hearing your thoughts.

The trip will be slow, unplanned, and open ended. Not sure where I’ll go yet, though will probably begin in Yuma AZ and walk across. May meet a good PCT friend in Mexico City. Also hoping to see some friends in Guat — they live in the south near El Salvador.

I haven’t been to Lat Am since 2015 and I know my Spanish has improved quite a bit since then. Looking forward to using it.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Nov 1st NW: 187k
Oct Spend: $325 (!)

$165 charity
$85 restaurants
$30 travel
$25 phone
$20 health

Western Red Cedar

Jiimmy wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:33 pm
The trip will be slow, unplanned, and open ended.
These are the best kinds of trips! Enjoy and keep us posted once in a while as you meander south.