Davtheram12's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
davtheram12

Re: Davtheram12's Journal

Post by davtheram12 »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:42 am
The boss berated and belittled my peers in front of me and the remote colleagues in the meeting, during my first week on the job!

I guess the point of my story is that you definitely left at the perfect time, before investing any more energy and mental space into a toxic workplace.
Within the first week?! Talk about setting a precedent. I appreciate your input 2B1S. I'm glad I left when I did too. I was able to visit my DW's family in Kansas. That environment definitely helped reset me.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

So for a few years I've been passionate about scavenging for discarded goods. I developed this habit growing up poor and I've never been able to shake it. It actually brings me a lot of joy sourcing items that others would otherwise consider trash. With my recent job resignation I've decided to spend more time sourcing goods and listing them on ebay. I've had success with OfferUp but I think it's time to branch out a little more than the 40 mile radius OfferUp caps me. I usually focus on discarded items within my neighborhood but lately I've been visiting local thrift store. I've spent the past two days (4 hours each) and have already purchased a large handful of items. Cost of goods is $183 and I should be able to gross ~$1,200. Here is a list of some items I purchased:

New Nike Cortez shoes (Forrest Gump style)
Women's Justin cowboy boots (black lizard leather)
New women's Under Armor shoes
Hoka Bondi 5 running shoes (used but in good shape)
Nike top grain leather messenger bag
50 old issues of national geographic magazines
Vintage Coleman lantern nightlight
Used Nike Air Force 1 shoes with embedded stars (still sought out by collectors)
Vintage free-weight plates
Solaman trail running shoes (used but in good shape)
New vintage ALTA knee pads
New Dr. Marten 1460 boots
New Batman Beyond season 1 DVD collection
2 New VOXX car remote replacement
How the West was Fun DVD with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
New VHS of West Side Story
2015 LG 22mc57hq computer monitor with cords

Sourcing items shouldn't be an issue but there is definitely going to be a learning curve with shipping items. It shouldn't be too difficult since I have resources (mostly YouTubers who also resell used items). This is going to be an interesting ride :D

Ego

Post by Ego »

Excellent! It will be fun to compare notes.

I am happy to help however I can.

A few thoughts to make tax time easier. Consider creating a written invoice for mileage and Cost of Goods Sold like the one below. The IRS likes written mileage logs. Take a photo of the log along with the items purchased that day. You can use it for ebay/craigslist/offerup/mercari/amazon. I use cash accounting.

GoDaddy Bookkeeping is the best for ebay sellers as they automatically download and categorize everything. They provide a completed Schedule C at the end of the year.

If you open an eBay store you get terrapeak for free. It is great for searching a year's worth of previous sales on ebay.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/ is the best source for ebay seller news.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Wow Ego! Thank you for that! That's going to be extremely helpful. I'll be sure to do my homework. I'm even more excited now :D

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Things are changing and it's getting a little overwhelming and annoying. I don't have a lot of time to describe things right now but I'll soon talk about it. The in-laws are starting to ask questions about my current musings. I haven't held a job since I quit my toxic work environment May of 2021. They are pestering me about it. Although I'm currently at an ~3% withdrawal rate and reselling items on the side, they don't agree with my decisions. They are also pressuring my DW about meeting certain life expectations (e.g. home ownership, kids, etc). It saddens her, irritates me and makes things a little less enjoyable. Ughh :x More info to come.

Ego

Post by Ego »

davtheram12 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:12 am
I haven't held a job since I quit my toxic work environment May of 2021. They are pestering me about it. Although I'm currently at an ~3% withdrawal rate and reselling items on the side, they don't agree with my decisions.
It's funny, my "business" has existed since the early 2000s but I don't think anyone except for Mrs. Ego really thought of it as a pay-the-bills kind of moneymaking venture until I began to seriously sell art. Unfortunately, mother-in-laws are not yet wired to boast over a game of mahjong that their daughter's husband is one of Los Angeles's foremost online sellers of items he acquires while dumpster diving.

There is a reason it is not an easy road. Often the hard parts have noting to do with the reality of the situation and everything to do with the appearance that reality.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:26 pm
There is a reason it is not an easy road. Often the hard parts have noting to do with the reality of the situation and everything to do with the appearance that reality.
Thats exactly it! I'm not one to keep up with the Joneses and I refuse to pretend. I'll have to come up with something before I lose my cool.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's common to encounter friction with more conventional family members when pursuing unconventional ways of living. I'd caution against thinking it's because the [conventional/conformists] won't accept other solutions or ways of living. It's more that they simply can't spontaneously perceive and process behavior outside the socially accepted norm.

In my case I spent several weeks constantly talking about how various dividend payouts paid for this and that "bill", that is, translating capital income into "paying the bills"-language, which is WL1-comprehensible. Perhaps something similar will work insofar the wording changes from "living off the waste-stream" to "investing in goods" or "hitting pay-dirt" and "needing to find a buyer" to "earn a payday" so you can "make this month's income target". A few months of this kind of talk might win them over.

Ego

Post by Ego »

davtheram12 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:42 pm
I'm not one to keep up with the Joneses and I refuse to pretend. I'll have to come up with something before I lose my cool.
She is on-board with what you are doing now. That is huge. She is the expert in all things in-law related. Consider loosening up on the refusal to pretend and maybe ask her what her ideal solution would look like. There might be a white lie that makes everyone happy.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Thank you Jacob and Ego. Lots to consider and wrap my head around. All good information. I anticipated these issues but didn't expect to have such a difficult time managing my reaction to it. I've recently voiced some of this to my father and without a beat he understood my frustrations. He stated "as soon you start trying to impress people you're going to lose." Seems he dealt with similar things in his marriage despite his desire to live a simple life. I'll take things in stride and try my best to focus on what's important.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

davtheram12 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm
He stated "as soon you start trying to impress people you're going to lose."
Your father sounds like a wise man. I'd spend more time with him and less time with your in-laws ;)

Embracing ERE naturally leads to an unconventional lifestyle. That is going to make some people uncomfortable. As long as your DW is okay with things, I think that is really all that matters. Worry less about your in-laws, and try to understand or control your own reactions.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Der Leiermann

Post by Der Leiermann »

Part of the ‘problem’ the in-laws may be perceiving is your potential inability to provide for yourself/your wife. So I second what Jacob mentioned, to project financial resourcefulness.

This may also help with your choice not to seek status via stuff. If the in-laws realise it’s your choice and not due to financial constraints, it may change the way they view your life choices around employment.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

I've been rebuilding, repairing and reconditioning video game related items lately. It's been a lot of fun and I've been able to make some good money selling the items I don't keep. I usually find these items at thrift stores or yard sales but sometimes I'll get lucky and find them thrown out in piles of trash like these:Image
Tucked away in one of the drawers was a PS3 and PS4.
Brought them home and tested both consoles.

As the consoles were warming up, they started exhausting a putrid smell. I'm talking about an odor similar to a dirty locker room filled with post workout exercise clothing. I ended up taking about 4 hours to disassemble, clean, disinfect and polish the PS4. I took about 1.5 hours to do the same thing to the PS3. While I was at it, I replaced the thermal paste on both consoles with some Arctic MX-4. They both run smoothly and luckily don't smell anymore.

Last edited by davtheram12 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

During a family gathering, my brother in-law asked if my DW and I would like to go "halfsies" on a home purchase. The home in question is the grandmother's current residence. She's 92 and expected to only live for a few more years (according to some family members). Current estimated value of the home is $1.5 million. He doesn't make much money and doesn't have much of a savings. He's a great guy but he's the last person I would want to get involved with in business (think wheaton level 1). My DW and I both chuckled a little and just said "no thanks". He asked again the following morning and we responded the same. I guess this is what I get for being handy, fiscally responsible and being married to someone who shares similar values. The discussion my DW and I had on the way home was quite something :lol:

This isn't the first time a family member came up to us and proposed some type of 'deal'. I expect more offers to come our way and we will continue politely declining. The last thing I want to do is mix business with family. It'll definitely muddy the waters and create tension.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

davtheram12 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:43 am
The last thing I want to do is mix business with family.
wise

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

Good decision! I'm curious what his plan was for the house after purchasing.....but curious like how you're curious driving past a car wreck

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

MBBboy wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:46 am
I'm curious what his plan was for the house after purchasing.
My DW and I speculate (and that's being generous since we can pretty easily connect the dots) he wants to move in with his fiance and future mother-in-law. The city just recently passed a law that would allow single family home owners to build accessory dwelling units or "granny flats" as most people call them. The house itself has an extra large detached garage, that was built some time in the 60's, making it a perfect candidate for renovation. The mother-in-law would have her own private studio and us 'kids' would live in the main house. Only problem is that she's manipulative and takes advantage of people. She refuses to work because most things are 'beneath her'. She befriends wealthy people to intentionally house sit while they vacation. She regularly gilts her daughter into buying her lavish items and vacations all in the guise of maternal love. It's just gross. My brother in law recognizes this but only adds to the problem by subsidizing her lifestyle. My DW and I are steering clear. A hard pass for both of us.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Its been getting a little hot lately. The apartment my DW and I have been renting never came with air conditioning. Temperatures can get up the 87° when there isn't proper air circulation. Unfortunately I can't keep certain doors open, to allow air circulation, because my night working DW sleeps during the day. The apartment is also fairly old and has single pane casement windows making it a terrible candidate for any type of window or portable AC unit. So I decided to build a custom window using materials I found in the trash. Everything is reversible so I don't have to worry about losing my deposit.

In total, I spent $57.17 on three rolls of 3M double sided clear tape, three 24" wooden clamps and two rolls of 10' weather stripping. Things I found dumped on the side of the road included the LG AC system (with all of the vents), two pieces of scrap 1/4" plywood, 3/16"-1/4" thick àcrylic sheet, color matched exterior paint, and R4.2 double reflective insulation bubble wrap. It took me about 12 hours from planning to completion. I still have to wrap the ductwork but that'll come later once I finalize the position. I will definitely be able to recoup my costs once we eventually move. Most of my neighbors aren't handy so selling the system plus the custom window should gross me about $250-$300. Maybe more depending on the severity of the next heat wave.

Decided on this window since it made the most logical sense.
My work area was the dining table.
Dry fitting all of the pieces of plywood. Used a circular saw and jigsaw.
Glued together and held with clamps for 24 hours.
Painted with a few layers. Did a light sanding prior to provide proper adhesion.
Drilled some pilot holes for the vent. I didn't want the wood splitting.
Taped down the acrylic glass. I misaligned it on the top left corner but it luckily didn't ruin the installation.
Added the weather stripping to avoid potential air leaks and paint transfer.
Test fit and held in place with some scrap leather and shims.
Vent installed with the blinds drawn.
I had to add a small piece of wood. The earlier cut was way too large. I didn't triple check before making the cut and it cost me. I added a couple pieces of rolled up weather stripping to minimize air leaks.
What it looks like with the curtain drawn. Still able to get some natural light while minimizing the tacky appearance of the vent.
I ran the AC for about 10 minutes and the breaker couldn't handle it. I'll have to compromise and unplug other devices while running the AC. I'd say that's a fair compromise for some comfort on hotter days.
Last edited by davtheram12 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Looks great. Have you considered offering them for sale to your neighbors now? Why wait? You look like you have it all figured out and you can produce those window inserts efficiently.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I made a similar one but it was just the bottom part where the hose attaches. The sides were chamfered to slide into the rails of double hung window.

For v2, consider replacing the plywood with pine. Plywood doesn't like moisture. Butt (edge on edge) joints tend to be weak, but you can make them much stronger with pocket holes, see e.g. https://www.anikasdiylife.com/which-kreg-jig-to-buy/ To line up the edges, spring clamps (oversized clothes pins) are good.