ERE Travel Thread

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
AxelHeyst

Re: ERE Travel Thread

Post by AxelHeyst »

I'm looking for a place to crash for one night on the Central Coast of California, around San Luis Obispo, this Wednesday August 25.
I'll be on my motorcycle with tent and sleeping gear, so, completely self-supported. If you're not cool with people coming inside your place, fine with me, I'll appreciate a back yard to put my tent up in. There aren't a lot of boondocking spots along my route that I could find (if anyone knows, hit me up!). I'll be coming from the direction of Bakersfield along 58 probably, through Paso, then up the 1 through Big Sur on the 26th.

Also I'm going to be riding from ~the Bay to ~North Eastern Oregon starting on August 31st. Route tbd, I'm leaning towards just going up the coast and cutting over at Eugene perhaps. If anyone along that route wants to meet up, or if anyone wants to ride with me, PM me. :)

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Can't help you but I'm jealous of your route and mode of transportation. Good for you. :D

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I'll be in Portugal for the next month or so, then Spain and France probably for April, then Northern Europe, then probably UK in June ish. Plans are super variable, unfolding as it happens. We're fully vaxxed and care not at all what your deal is. If you want to meet up and are being cautious, we'll be cautious. If you're not, that's fine too. Up for meeting up with any forumites or lurkers. Up for helping with projects or builds for fun as well :D

Jean

Post by Jean »

I'm hiking in ober allgäu, southern bavaria. Would anyone want to meet this week anywhere in the southern half of germany?
I like sitting in a train for 8hours, and thanks those 9euro ticket, this is an option, so if you like, i can travel a fair bit.

C40

Post by C40 »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:42 pm
I'm looking for a place to crash for one night on the Central Coast of California, around San Luis Obispo, this Wednesday August 25.
I'll be on my motorcycle with tent and sleeping gear, so, completely self-supported. If you're not cool with people coming inside your place, fine with me, I'll appreciate a back yard to put my tent up in. There aren't a lot of boondocking spots along my route that I could find (if anyone knows, hit me up!). I'll be coming from the direction of Bakersfield along 58 probably, through Paso, then up the 1 through Big Sur on the 26th.
Hey, next time you do this, check out the advrider forum. In the forum there is a 'tent space' thread with a map. Potential hosts put themselves on the map. You can then send them a message asking if you can stay there. This takes some pre-planning as some folks aren't active anymore, so only about 1 in 3 respond.

I did this riding south through California and stayed on the property of four different motorcycle touring enthusiasts. Most of them were a bit older. They were interesting and cool people who I never would have met otherwise. Also, they all had good advice on which roads to ride.

I stayed in the places below and if I'd noticed your post in time I could have shared the contact information of these guys. They seemed happy and in some cases excited to host a rider.
- San Francisco (actually up in Richmond, in side a cool industrial property that the guy used as a photography studio)
- Just outisde of Mendocino
- Arcata
- Arroyo Grande (near San Luis Obispo)

The other benefit of using that ADVRider map is that many of these folks will have a garage shop setup, so if you need to do some work on your bike, they are willing to let you use their tools, and likely to also help if you need it. One guy even suggested I ride his own motorcycles around while I was in town.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Oh, nice! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely check that out next time I go.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

I will be in Playa Del Carmen MX from January 2023 through March 2023. A studio apartment at the edge of the tourist and local divide. I would more than welcome guests for a short stay (I can sleep on a couch). I also have local connections and can provide in person help for anyone thinking of traveling to this location during this time. Including reduced cost accommodations at other places(It's a cash society) , being a guide to the city, non certified dive help (best scuba diving in the world), etc.

Also in Nepal from April 2023 through June 2023. Part of my Nepal trip (May) will be traveling to a mountain village with locals. This trip will be on the path to Everest base camp. I will not go to base camp, but can provide help to anyone who would like to thanks to my friends who grew up locally. The remainder of my stay (April and June) will likely be in Katmandu, accommodations not yet set, so sharing is an option. Be advised, the May portion of the trip into the mountain village will require some strenuous hiking.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

In San Diego for the next week.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Oh dang! We’re heading that way but will miss you. Enjoy the sun!

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I will be in Port Townsend, WA starting next week through the end of March. I don't think I will be able to host, but I am up for meeting up.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Meetup and Guide for Tucson, AZ

If you are in the area, I will make the effort to meet up. We know many local hikes, and there are some nice urban walks/bikes as well. We have a few favorite restaurants and watering holes. We could do a water harvesting tour of the city. We love board games. Hosting would really depend.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Standing offer to host/crash at Ft. Dirtbag, which is at the southern tip of the Sierra Nevadas in California, an hour south of Lone Pine.

At the moment guest facilities are meager but coming along. If you're set up for car camping you are good to go. If the weather is fair I ought to have shelter to provide but it's no holiday inn. :D Get in touch to ask about details if you're coming through. If you've already been here before, you don't *need* to get ahold of me first if it's last minute, just c'mon by. Worst case you'll have the place to yourself.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I’m now based in Aventura, FL.
If you’re around feel free to get in touch!

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Will be in Wichita, KS next week, and in Tampa, FL the week after that. Would be happy to meet up. Since we are housesitting, it's probably too far to make it to your part of the state, Seppia.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

In San Diego for the next two weeks. Message to meet up.

Jean

Post by Jean »

il be hiking around the gr7 from langres, southbound, in january.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

If anybody is visiting Sourhern Florida these days, hit me up, it would be great to meet!
We are away Jan 2-7 (diving in the caymans in case anybody is there) but open before

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I’m in the Chicago area for another ~2.5 weeks, then I’ll be in Dallas for likely 3-4 weeks from mid January until early February.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Seppia wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:00 pm
If anybody is visiting Sourhern Florida these days, hit me up, it would be great to meet!
We are away Jan 2-7 (diving in the caymans in case anybody is there) but open before
I'm in Tampa Bay area for another 3-4 weeks.

Will be in Thailand in Feb, Vietnam in March and Bali in April.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Happy to host in Guatemala!