Western Red Cedar's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Western Red Cedar

Re: Western Red Cedar's Journal

Post by Western Red Cedar »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:10 am
Speaking of winter, where do you see yourselves starting the travels? We're currently still waiting for some direction on a work-stay we applied for in Hawaii, but if it doesn't pan out then the world is our oyster and I have no idea what to do starting with Nov/Dec =P
With the revised schedule, we'll probably start in Thailand as December/January are ideal in terms of weather. We'll likely head straight to the Thai islands for a few weeks to decompress, read, and enjoy the beaches. My last trip there I was in Koh Tao for 10 days, and Koh Phangan for 10 days so I'd like to get to the other side of the peninsula. Koh Lanta is pretty high on the radar, but I'm open to suggestions. I haven't decided if I want to pick up diving again (it has been about 13 years since my last diving trip in Honduras), but if I do I may opt to go back to Koh Tao. I'm open to suggestions from other forum members for cool spots to look at in Thailand. DW and I aren't really interested in renting scooters or motorcycles, so proximity to some services and restaurants is something we value.

After Thailand, we'll probably head to Da Nang for a monthly rental and may stay for a couple months as they've recently revised their visa policy. Everything is still fairly fluid, but Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia are high on the list.

Australia and New Zealand always seemed too expensive for travel, but DW and I have been talking about volunteering on some permaculture farms there as a way to visit while reducing costs and meeting some interesting locals. Considering the proximity to SE Asia and the newly open itinerary, it is definitely more viable.

chenda

Post by chenda »

I was in Koh Tao in 2009, it was my favourite island but the subsequent murders, which happened right on the beach where I was staying, will forever tarnish it's memory for me.

Koh Phi Phi on the west coast is worth a visit I think. There are quite a few lesser known islands as well but they are probably not worth visiting if you value some range of tourist amenities.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Looking forward to reading updates from your travels @WRC!

Western Red Cedar

@Chenda - yikes! That sounds awful. Phi Phi has been on my radar and I'll do a bit more research on it. I had heard it was a bit more developed, but that it is quite stunning.

@gp - I'm looking forward to taking them. Perhaps I'll be lucky enough to make my way up to Scotland. Some of the cross-country treks there are on my bucket list for early retirement. It would be nice to see a friendly face, share some tea and play guitar.

Western Red Cedar

September Update:

Financial: NW dropped in August a bit. This was mostly due to the market, but we also had a few large expenses. Finally replaced the tires on our rig, and had to replace the coils and spark plugs as well. The tires put me over a minimum spend on a new credit card, which will probably be the last I open for the foreseeable future. We've been doing lots of social stuff with friends and families, but most of it has been relatively low-cost. I went to a couple concerts which weren't particularly cheap, but they were a lot of fun and I have no regrets about spending that money. Grocery bills have been quite a bit higher lately, but that is largely because DW has been doing her own thing for food. I'm on a bit of a health kick lately so eating very basic and clean.

I'm slowly trying to ramp up the cash reserves before leaving work. I have a little over two years of expenses in cash and want to give that a nice bump over the next few months. I have a rough budget of 1K per person per month for future travels, but I suspect that will vary depending on location and activities.

DW picked up a part-time gig at her old school. She's a permanent sub through at least mid October, and that may extend to the end of the year depending on the needs of the school and the kids she's working with. She was initially looking at some seasonal gigs in a candle shop or with a spice company, but when she contacted her old principal about a reference they swooped her up. Another example demonstrating how a good work ethic and an aversion to slacking can pay yields down the road.

Professional: I'm cranking away at work and doing my best to keep things professional with my team even though most know I'll be leaving shortly. I picked up a new project because one of the managers was overloaded. It was a few months behind, but it is mostly taken care of at this point. We have quite a few promotional opportunities right now with new projects and funding sources, so I'm anticipating some more musical chairs among the larger team along with some outside hires.

I'm actually enjoying the flow lately, and part of that might simply be the choice to not be stressed. The main project I'm working on has a very competent team and they are relying on me for guidance and expertise based on the project I recently finished. It is really refreshing to meet with sharp people who are engaged, do their work before our meetings, and quickly move forward without a lot of ego on anyone's part.

I'm saving most of my vacation to pad an extra 6-7 weeks on my final date, but making sure to take plenty of breaks throughout the day and some long lunches on the bike and/or at the gym.

Health: I've been really consistent with workouts and physical activity this year. It is basically part of my established routine and one of my highest priorities. Nutrition and diet has always been a bit tougher for me. I stepped on the scale a couple weeks ago and was the heaviest I've ever been. My waist hasn't changed, and I think I look pretty good in the mirror but I'm overweight by BMI calculations. It is a little hard to gage as I've been lifting consistently 5-6 days of week, with additional walks or cardio on some days, over the last 28 months. Nonetheless, I decided a cut was in order and I'm about a five days into that. No alcohol for the last week, and I started tracking food and macros again. I really don't like tracking macros, but I know that it makes a big difference. Something as simple as a couple handful of nuts will add 400-500 calories for the day.

One nice thing about the cut is that my cooking is at a level in which I don't really feel like it is much of a sacrifice. Small changes like boiled eggs instead of fried or scrambled, and spray oil instead of oil from the jar help move the needle. I'm making all my own dressings, and pickled a bunch of veggies to add some extra flavor to salads, soups, and other dishes. The meal plan has consisted of lots of leafy greens, cruciferous veggies, high-protein tofu (surprisingly cheap at Trader Joe's), lentils, beans, rice, mushrooms, kimchi, eggs, baked chicken, ground turkey, fish, and vegan protein powder as a supplement. I'm happy with the results so far (down a little over 4 pounds) and want to keep the momentum going.

A nice supply of pickled veggies to keep things interesting:

Social: I'm making a pretty strong effort to connect with family and friends. I still spend a lot of time on these forums, but leaning into my local community feels healthy. At the end of July, we had a family reunion to celebrate my parents' 50 year wedding anniversary. Extended family on my mom's side came out from across the US, and we had a lovely 3-day weekend with about 30 people. A few groups rented lake houses near my parents cabin, and we spent all day Sunday showing it off to the extended family (and some of the grandkids from Seattle who hadn't made it there yet). I made a 30 minute digital slideshow with music with photos of the family over the last 70 years that was really well-received.

One of my best friends had his 40th birthday in August, and I spent a couple days camping at their river property and connecting with a wide group of friends. I brought out the acoustic guitar, and spent multiple hours playing with a few other musicians. I saw an old friend from college who I hadn't seen in 20 years, and found out he had a really similar taste in music and style of playing (old folk songs, John Prine, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, etc...). I've been spending a lot of time with this group lately, and the passing of one of our friends after a battle with ALS is a reminder to appreciate some of these 25+ year friendships.

DW and I celebrated our ten-year anniversary, and 18 years together as a couple. The upcoming trip is our gift to each other and a chance to build more memories.

ERE: I'm rereading ERE for the axelheyst MM group. I think it has probably been 5 years since I originally read it. I found my old WOG and a long list of activities I planned to do in retirement tucked in the pages of the book. I'm only on Chapter 2, but I'm planning on heading out to the mountains today for my last backpacking trip of the season and will bring it with me. An alpine lake sounds like the perfect backdrop for that book.

I had my 3 year EREversary on the forums a couple weeks ago. Time flies! Strangely enough, this journal is cruising right towards 500 posts as I'm leaving work and jumping on the SemiERE train

Western Red Cedar

Trip Report:

We had some warm weather last weekend, so I took a day off work to head up to the mountains in what will likely be my last backcountry trip of the season. I opted for an Alpine experience in the Selkirks, rather than a river valley, even though the evening temperatures are close to or below freezing right now. One of annual goals is to get out for three new backpacking trips each year. Thus far I had explored one new location and an old favorite.

I selected Beehive Lakes in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. It was just under 10 miles as a round trip, and offered some non-technical scrambles to get up on some ridges for views or ascents to unnamed peaks. The hike to the lakes was a bit steep with over 2,000 feet from the trailhead to camp, which was at 6,500 feet. I had heard that the location was very popular, but I found the parking area free of cars and had the trail and camp completely to myself.

It was beautiful fall weather, with some nice variation in the color of the foliage. The trail was almost completely surrounded by huckleberry bushes, but I was a couple months late for that bounty. Fortunately, I was already well supplied with snacks and grabbed a small loaf of frosted zucchini bread as a treat from a local deli on the way to the trailhead.

The last half mile of the trail before reaching the lake consisted of hiking on a slab of granite. Fortunately there were rock cairns that marked the general direction towards the lakes, but they were also scattered somewhat haphazardly so just progressed up. How many cairns can you spot?

I had a few hours before nightfall to set up camp, make dinner, explore and enjoy the main lake. It is a large bowl surrounded by a granite backdrop. The forest service stocks it with cutthroat trout each season. I hung out reading the ERE book, eating a large bowl of couscous, watching the dragon flies and the fish jump.

It was a cold night and I wore every piece of clothing I brought. I slept well and woke up around six the next morning. Somehow it felt warmer outside of the tent than it did in my sleeping bag. I staggered out onto one of the large rocks in the lake near my campsite. I heard some rocks falling across the lake, and looked up to see a large bull moose walking towards a patch of trees on the other side of the lake. A beautiful way to start the day.

I retrieved my bear bag, and had a breakfast of zucchini bread, mixed nuts and tea. I read a bit more and enjoyed the solitude. A couple hours later the moose reappeared on the other side of the lake and I watched him climb the granite for a few minutes until he disappeared into a stand of Douglas Firs.

I had hung my food bag in camp, and had to chase off a chipmunk who was trying to get into my nuts and oats. We reenacted this a few times over the next hour while I was packing up camp. I'm not sure if it was more distressing for me or the chipmunk. At one point it was almost completely in my backpack.

The renaissance chipmunk looking for nuggets of wisdom in ERE:

On the hike back down I missed the trail as I was traversing down the granite slab. I realized I had gone too far and ultimately got back on the trail without having to do too much climbing back up. I saw a multitude of weekend warriors hiking up as I was heading down. Probably 25 total, with three large groups of overnighters.

I usually have luck avoiding the crowds by heading out on a Thursday or Friday. One of the things I'm looking forward to the most in a post-9 to 5 lifestyle is hitting the trails on the weekdays. I can manage the weekend crowds in the grocery stores, but I don't necessarily want to compete with them for backcountry sites.

The solo trip was a nice way to cap off my season, and it may be the last time I get into the PNW backcountry for the next year or two. I'm looking forward to a couple more trips up to the Shire to enjoy the fall weather and natural environment, but with a warm bed and fireplace in the cold evenings.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Beautiful pictures wrc, and it sounds like you're managing your ride into the FTE sunset (for now...) with class. Very cool.

shaz

Post by shaz »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:40 pm
One of the things I'm looking forward to the most in a post-9 to 5 lifestyle is hitting the trails on the weekdays.
So much this! I would say it is one of the top 3 things I am looking forward to. I have been taking every Wednesday as vacation since early May and the Wednesdays are incredibly better on the trails.

Thanks for sharing the photos. It sounds like good trip to end the season.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

shaz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:57 pm
So much this! I would say it is one of the top 3 things I am looking forward to. I have been taking every Wednesday as vacation since early May and the Wednesdays are incredibly better on the trails.

Thanks for sharing the photos. It sounds like good trip to end the season.
I also think this is something to look forward to @WRC. In our previous life, DW and I were working weekends and not working on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This was an arrangement others would prefer less to having weekends off. I think their thinking was just herd mentality - not working on weekdays is so much better. Any public space is likely way less crowded, same goes for paid facilities. Also more mundane stuff like going around your business without needing to fit appointments in between work.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Your pictures are always beautiful. Which camera and software do you use?

Western Red Cedar

Thanks all!

@shaz - That sounds like a wonderful approach to downshifting.

@Frugalchicos - I'm just using an iPhone 12 pro for most of the photos in this journal. The only editing I do is usually directly on the phone to either crop a photo or shift it to black and white. I occasionally tweak the colors, but usually just prefer the original image. I also have a Canon Rebel T3i that I take with me on international trips, but it is pretty bulky and hard to justify the extra weight considering the camera quality on my phone. The main thing I like about it is that it encourages me to take more photos and approach my environment with a photographers eye.

I actually keep my best photos from these trips private as I don't want to just upload them all to imgur. Putting myself in a variety of places, and regularly looking for beautiful shots in my everyday life helps a lot.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:40 pm
It was a cold night and I wore every piece of clothing I brought. I slept well and woke up around six the next morning.
The best way to tell that you packed the exact right amount! The fall colors are great. Have you played around with the VSCO app for editing on the phone? It has some cool filters that could add to your great compositions.

Western Red Cedar

mountainFrugal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:52 pm
Have you played around with the VSCO app for editing on the phone? It has some cool filters that could add to your great compositions.
I've never heard of it but looked it up yesterday. I appreciate the tip as I'll have a lot more time to experiment with this kind of stuff in the near future. As a millennial, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to tech. Anything you enjoy about it aside from the filters? It looks like there is a VSCO community, do you share photos or participate?

delay

Post by delay »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:25 am
My waist hasn't changed, and I think I look pretty good in the mirror but I'm overweight by BMI calculations. It is a little hard to gage as I've been lifting consistently 5-6 days of week, with additional walks or cardio on some days, over the last 28 months. Nonetheless, I decided a cut was in order and I'm about a five days into that. No alcohol for the last week, and I started tracking food and macros again. I really don't like tracking macros, but I know that it makes a big difference. Something as simple as a couple handful of nuts will add 400-500 calories for the day.
Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Regarding BMI, over my life I've lost 5+ BMI points many times. But it always came back. Eating less and exercising more doesn't seem to work for me. I'm currently doing fasting for a few days a week. On a fasting day I only drink water between 20:00 and 18:00 the next day. So 22 hours on water only. This is surprisingly easy to keep up and feels very healthy.

Western Red Cedar

@delay - thanks for stopping by. I'm kind of at a weird spot in my fitness journey, in which my weight has jumped up but my body fat percentage has actually decreased. This is the natural consequence of regular resistance training over an extended period of time, so I'm trying not to worry too much about the scale and just focused on maintaining healthy habits. I'm also trying to get better at observing how I feel after eating certain foods, workouts, sleep, etc... It seems so basic, but I developed a tendency to just kind of ignore my body over the years.

I've regularly used IF over the last few years, with the occasional longer fast. It works for me as well, but I probably need to be a bit more strategic about staggering fasting timelines and days. From what I've read, that seems to be more effective as the body doesn't adapt, and I run less risk of lowering my metabolism.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I wouldn't stress BMI too much if you look and feel good. I've been bouncing around 27-27.5 BMI (well into "overweight") for most of this year but BF% is in the low teens.

delay

Post by delay »

@Western Red Cedar: thanks for the reply. Interesting that you started and then stopped IF. I started IF earlier this year and it works so well, it's hard to believe I'd stop it. It's so easy I now doubt the "eat less exercise more" narrative. It's not what I eat, it's when I eat!

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

DW uses VSCO a decent amount (one of her main hobbies is photography). The interface and the community are really photography centric so you might enjoy it. It is not about trying to get likes and other metrics. DW likes it because she gets exposed to a lot of really good photographers and it has a good bit of randomness in the feed to keep it fresh.

Western Red Cedar

Autumn Update:

Life has been busy in the WRC household over the last few months. I have a week off work and a quiet morning, so it is finally time for an update. I haven't officially started a countdown to my last day, but I have a little over 30 working days left.

Health:

I started diligently tracking calories and macros again for about 4-6 weeks as part of a cut. I was really strict with my nutrition from mid September through mid-November and lost about 14 pounds since my heaviest, and 10 pounds since my last update. This is right on target with my goal to preserve as much lean muscle as possible during the cut. I took the opportunity to do some longer fasts on days I wasn't lifting weights, but nothing more than 22 hours. I've been prioritizing time outdoors either on a bicycle or on foot as much as possible to enjoy the autumn weather and foliage, and to appreciate some of my favorite places before leaving. I had multiple, unsuccessful trips looking for Chanterelles, but saw lots of other interesting fungi and enjoyed the time outside.

Professional:

I'm looking forward to my first full week off work since last spring. I had some vacation leave I was required to use before the end of the month, so the Thanksgiving holiday seemed like the opportune time and offers an opportunity to declutter, relax, and take care of some projects at home.

I had the opportunity to attend a large, professional conference recently and saw a lot of old colleagues and acquaintances, along with some great presentations on cutting edge projects and research in my field. I never really liked networking early in my career, but after I got a bit older and more experienced, I realized it is more about catching up with people that I'm happy to see. Hearing about their partners, new kids, and the ability to talk shop with someone who knows the jargon and can relate to the issues. It was a great experience, and also provided time to connect with my current team IRL for a couple days.

I haven't put in notice yet, but recently talked to my supervisor about plans to leave in mid-January. They mentioned that the management team was working on creating a position for me when I returned. I didn't say anything after they mentioned that, but right now I'm not sure if I would come back. It goes against my nature to leave things open and unplanned, but I realize (at least in part from reading other journals here) that I'll be in a much different headspace down the road when I need to make a decision about work and career. I am maintaining my professional credentials and certification for at least the next year, and my employer just covered my dues which aren't cheap.

I've talked to DW about some mixed emotions about leaving, and she just commented that those feelings aren't necessarily unusual. I've been building a career and working in the same field for more than a decade, and the future holds a lot more uncertainty, so it is only natural that I'm not necessarily comfortable leaving that behind.

Social:

DW and I recently housesat for my sister while she and her husband were away for their anniversary. Our nieces are relatively self-sufficient, so the pets were actually more work. After the 3rd or 4th day, I started keying into how the experience matched up with my own notions of homeownership. I realized that some characteristics that I thought were important in a future house, like architectural details, weren't as important as a functional kitchen, good insulation, or plumbing/wiring that isn't over 100 years old. I also paid attention to how I used space, and realized that even though I like the concept of a library/office, I'm pretty happy spreading out on the dining room table when I work. In my apartment, I've declined a professional setup with a standup desk and multiple monitors - I simply unpack my laptop and work from our kitchen table.

In short, I've always been a sucker for older houses with a lot of "character" but it was a good first-hand experience of some of the downsides to that housing stock.

One exciting ERE update is that I've made quite a bit of progress on the documentary about my parents and their homestead. I made a few trips up to the shire over the last couple of months and filmed a little over 4 hours of interviews. I set up some really nice backgrounds both inside their cabin and outside with the fall foliage. It took a little time for us to transition and get comfortable with our roles as interviewer/interviewee, but I found a nice groove in almost every session and there was usually a point where they loosened up. I've had to let go of some of my perfectionism and accept some growing pains with diving into a new craft/medium. My vision is modeled after a Ken Burns documentary with a balance of interview scenes and historical photos, but as I was working on it I realized some other approaches might be interesting to explore. I'm just not sure I'll have the opportunity to do that, so I plan on working with what I have.

During one session, the microphone turned off after the first five minutes and I lost some great dialogue about the social and cultural scene of Oxford in the late 60's and early 70's as well as my dad's first trip through Europe in a 50's Morris Minor convertible. Luckily my uncle called and we stopped filming, and I was able to correct the mistake. Messing up the audio and having to rerecord was one of my biggest concerns about the project, but it wasn't a huge deal and I just accepted that I lost some good stuff. I still have plenty to work with.

Financial:

Our NW was down over the last couple of months. When I delayed the trip and decided to work for a few more months, I had a notion that we'd be saving more and watching it grow. Starting this month the markets have popped and we are probably close to a high NW that we saw in the summer. We have plenty of cash and/or short-term investments to see us through the next few years, so I'm not too worried about market fluctuations - or at least I'm telling myself that.

Western Red Cedar

As I mentioned, I've spent a lot of time outside over the last couple of months. Here are some views from my side of the world:

A light dusting of snow and a full moon up at the shire.

I've tried to spend as much time in old growth forests before I leave. Here is one of the local trails with nice groves of Western Red Cedar. A Ruffed Grouse made an appearance for a few minutes and followed me down the trail.

I've had good luck with wildlife observations and saw the largest moose I'd ever seen last week. I also had a black bear siting at the shire while hiking with my dad, and have seen a lot of deer out in the woods lately.

Some epic scenes with fog, mist, rain and snow over the last couple of months: