Balancing (rather) extreme frugality and putting effort into "career development"/"staying in the matrix"

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
7Wannabe5

Re: Balancing (rather) extreme frugality and putting effort into "career development"/"staying in the matrix"

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I am now considering whether the thought of joining co-workers for margaritas at Mall strip chain restaurant or perhaps charcuterie in more professional setting makes me feel angry, angsts, or depressed? Nope, more like bored, because social equivalent of reading Danielle Steele novel.

classical_Liberal

Re: Balancing (rather) extreme frugality and putting effort into "career development"/"staying in the matrix"

Post by classical_Liberal »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:41 pm
more like bored, because social equivalent of reading Danielle Steele novel.
So, it makes you feel like an elitist? Kidding, sort of.

I don't think it's smart to do something you know you're gonna dislike. I do think it's bad policy to not experiment with things you may like, simply because it's not an "outside the cave" activity. Sometimes interacting with shadows in the company of others is better than watching the real thing by yourself, as long as you keep the key to your shackles. The problem with watching shadows from the outside looking in, is that I feel the need to educate those who remained chained that what they're seeing is not real. Hence the angst, anger, or depression.

Accepting the shadows do exist and enjoying the splendors they have to offer, in an effort to take part in an enjoyable life with others. While simultaneously knowing there is more out there, without feeling the need to dwell on it constantly, can be more difficult and more rewarding than avoiding the cave altogether.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I guess I am kind of an elitist, because there’s some percentage of people, books, experiences, stuff ,I am not willing to waste my limited life energy on. That said, I would note that I did read Chelsea Handler’s memoirs on one-night stands last month. Ergo, I might throw down for bad margarita and half a tray of nachos if I had Chelsea Handler as co-worker, because laughing so hard I snort margarita up my nose can be pretty enjoyable on occasion.

OTOH, an hour of listening to other women talk about shopping for designer dresses on the internet...I’d rather be home watching “Big Bang Theory” reruns.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

getting 1984 vibe right now :-DDD

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

"Slavery is Freedom"

Frita

Post by Frita »

If middle-aged me could go back in the time machine, I would choose a semi-ERE approach like c_L or horsewoman. (But since we paid off a shitton of medical bills not covered by insurance because we just had to have kids and didn’t want to file bankruptcy, this path worked out.) It seems more dynamic and stable. Had we just jumped off when FI in our early-30s as a childless couple who knows what I’d say.

7W5 hit on something with not wanting to waste one’s time. I am getting choosier about what I do and how quickly I decide something/someone is not for me. It is similar to a renaissance of the impulsiveness of my 20s with more discernment.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Lemur wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:13 am
"Slavery is Freedom"
the joke from my last post was based on the idea that I sometimes f5 heavily and see post which are getting deleted very quickly after its creation. this time somebody was also very concerned about his situation on verge of paranoia.
I'm not sure if the guy was serious or playing with me, but... he deleted his post (or admin did this).