Anyone prepping for corona?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
thrifty++

Re: Anyone prepping for corona?

Post by thrifty++ »

@sclass - I thought that the masks were ineffective? Even the n-95 ones.At least that's what I have read a few times now.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

The masks were largely told not to be used in media because the US does not have a large supply and there are/were worries about shortages for medical personnel. If you are sick you won't infect others and my understanding is that the particles won't be able to pass through to your nose/mouth if it's N-95 and it fits properly. At the very least, it prevents you from wanting to touch your face.

South Korea is urging all of its citizens to wear masks.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Im not prepping for Coronavirus. Im prepping for the people prepping for Coronavirus. Soon it will be prepping inception.

I have two weeks only.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

theanimal is right, "masks don't work" has been a bit of a disinformation campaign to save them for medical workers. That and you have to wear them properly for them to be effective. Pretty much all the members of the public I've seen wearing them IRL either wear them incorrectly or remove them incorrectly, thus rending them non-protective. And to be honest, I can't entirely blame the government for this piece of disinformation. Masks need to be saved for medical workers, and training the population to wear them properly is an uphill battle.

Since the virus can spread asymptomatically, having everyone wear a mask does help stop community spread though.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Masks work. Or else why would anyone wear one. I have some of these. They work great on pollen, brake dust, silica, thoriated welding electrode et al. And I’ve learned on this board that they also work against airborne viruses. These don’t filter exhaled air.

This type below probably won’t do a great job of protecting others if you are sick. There is an exhaust valve on the front. You breathe out unfiltered air. The valve is very good for people wearing glasses or goggles that will fog up as exhaled air leaks out around the cheek bones on unvented models.

Yep. Masks work alright. The disinformation campaign has really made me lose any faith I had left in the government.

So for my prep I got new pink disk filters, new elastic bands to replace the old stretched out ones. And some wrap around goggles.

I’ve seen people wear the masks incorrectly but I’ve had all the boring EH&S training to wear mine effectively from my years working in industrial environments. Five minutes of YouTube will show you how to pick the proper size, shave and adjust the straps. There’s the little manual inside the box too.

Bottom line, cover up the intake grills and see if you can breathe in, then cover up the exhaust valve and see if you can breathe out. If you can you have a leak. If you wear the mask under your nose (like some idiots I’ve seen recently) you need to read the instructions.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Third hand info: [Some?] Norwegian stores do not accept cash because of infection risk or fears.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

I was going to go to the barber and the library this morning in preparation for shutdowns. Figured the barber getting sick would make haircut waits long. And the library will close next week, so it’s kind of now or never (not “never” but... you get the idea).

Decided instead that this hoarding behavior was a bit selfish and dangerous. If I’m already carrying the virus then I could make the barber sick and the librarian sick, all this just so I could hoard good looks and paper-based entertainment?

Figured if I’m desperate for a haircut I can always a) get a buzz cut at home, or b) wear a hat or something. Not worth risking someone’s life for superfluous things.

Then again maybe the barber needs the money and the pandemic forces bankruptcy. Not sure what to do here.

As for books, my public library has many e-book options and I should be able to find plenty in the meantime.

Alright! Social distancing begins. Just doing my part to flatten the curve... we’re all going to catch it eventually, we just need to slow down the rate.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

@Alphaville My husband got his hair cut today and apparently the salon near us has seen its business halve this month.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Ordinarily arbitrage is fine with me but this seems like taking advantage of the situation. I disagree with the seller's argument that he is making the products more available, he was mostly buying from stores like walmart and reselling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/tech ... llers.html
On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

bostonimproper wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:37 am
@Alphaville My husband got his hair cut today and apparently the salon near us has seen its business halve this month.
hmmmmm... maybe I’ll stop by and ask from the door... maybe get a phone number.

idk really.

decisions, decisions...

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Better not. Normalcy bias is really really tempting, you don't even see it sneak in. But the times aren't normal

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@GDP - Yeah, stuff like this pisses me off. Especially as they/some will argue and remain firmly convinced that they're helping to increase market efficiency. However, in this case these guys methodically created a market inefficiency with the intention of profiting from it. Basically, in market terms, they set out to corner the market. I'm sort of okay with market manipulation when it comes to stocks or baseball cards, but to do it for life saving supplies is just bloody immoral---there's probably a circle in hell reserved for behaving like that. So now they're sitting on crucial supplies that they can not move or need to pay $10+ in shipping to distribute. ARGH!!!

In similar news, hospitals in Denmark and Germany has seen people stealing hand sanitizer, masks, and toilet paper rolls. Some even showed up with empty bottles to fill from the dispensers on the wall. What the actual fuck is wrong with some humans?!?

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

jacob wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:21 pm
In similar news, hospitals in Denmark and Germany has seen people stealing hand sanitizer, masks, and toilet paper rolls.
Locally the hospitals have locked up the masks due to theft too. The masks used to be at the entrance but now the patient has to ask for one.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@alphaville - just cut your own hair. I started doing it a number of years ago as I was getting sick of the exhorbitant barber costs where I live. I will never go back to getting someone else to do it. Not only do I save heaps but my own haircuts are way better and takes so much less time, 5-10 minutes whenever I feel like it, rather than wasting an hour heading out to a barber and waiting until they are ready.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:16 pm
Better not. Normalcy bias is really really tempting, you don't even see it sneak in. But the times aren't normal
yeah, i went out on a bike ride and there were street markets and people going into shops almost like a regular day. yes, crowds were thinner, but still... i was tempted.
thrifty++ wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:26 pm
@alphaville - just cut your own hair. I started doing it a number of years ago as I was getting sick of the exhorbitant barber costs where I live. I will never go back to getting someone else to do it. Not only do I save heaps but my own haircuts are way better and takes so much less time, 5-10 minutes whenever I feel like it, rather than wasting an hour heading out to a barber and waiting until they are ready.
mine is just 20 bucks and there are several nearby, and they do make me look better. i have an ugly head haaahaaahaaa. plus good hair, the ladies say. i don’t have the skills to highlight the good qualities and obscure the bad ones...

but yeah i’ve done it in the past and if the thing gets out of control i will just go rrrrrrrrrr with it. my wife might cry though :lol:

maybe i’ll talk her into learning to cut hair... and if she messes it up then i’ll just go rrrrrrrrrrrr with it.

youtube videos here we come...

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@alphaville - I have found it surprisingly easy to cut my hair. I just started very gradually doing smaller cuts as I grew in confidence to bigger cuts.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sclass wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 pm
When @Ego posted the snippet about chloroquine I bought some. Like two minutes after I read the article.
New research shows that it seems to be working
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... -7deJ7/pub

Are you a fish?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

thrifty++ wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:48 pm
@alphaville - I have found it surprisingly easy to cut my hair. I just started very gradually doing smaller cuts as I grew in confidence to bigger cuts.
hmm.... do you have straight hair?

i have a mad jewfro, and the youtube demos have been daunting ...

if it’s not well cut, it requires total shearing:

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Alphaville wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:10 pm
hmm.... do you have straight hair?

i have a mad jewfro, and the youtube demos have been daunting ...

if it’s not well cut, it requires total shearing:

lol - I have waivy hair. Yours sounds much more difficult lol

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Ego wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:52 pm
Are you a fish?
Uh yeah it is fish medicine. Pure Chloroquine phosphate crystals. Just a cheap hedge. Hope I don’t have to eat it. Thanks for the tip.