Best storage containers for bulk dry goods?

What skills to learn, what tools to get
AnalyticalEngine

Best storage containers for bulk dry goods?

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

I know this has come up before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer in one place. So my question is: for all of you who buy dry goods (rice etc) in bulk, how do you store them? I'm not a huge fan of leaving them in the bag because the lack of standard container size makes cooking harder. So I'd like to transfer these into better containers. However everything I'm finding is either too big or too small. So what do you all use? Specific brands and product recommendations are ideal.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: Best storage containers for bulk dry goods?

Post by jacob »

Standard 5 gallon buckets + gamma seal lids (available at Home Depot et al) on the bottom shelf.
Rice, black beans, pinto beans, flour, ... go straight into the bucket w/o liner. Should be good for up to a year.
Smaller bags of more "exotic" legumes go into legacy Tupperware containers on the top shelf.

See viewtopic.php?p=135933#p135933 for details.

bigato

Post by bigato »

PET plastic bottles work well to keep the bugs away from grains.

tsch

Post by tsch »

Buckets with gamma seal lids are good. For smaller quantities, you can leave things in the bags and store multiple bags in the same bucket.

If you are short on indoor storage space, as I am, you might be tempted to store the buckets outside (they are wonderfully rodent resistant)—however, I haven't found them to be waterproof. Possibly I didn't crank mine closed tight enough. And design is such that water collects in the top of the lid, which is less than optimal for unsheltered use as well. They'd probably be fine for outdoor use with a decent tarp over top.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Kilner jars are good although might be too small for your requirements.

C40

Post by C40 »

Personally I prefer using glass jars. There are sizes up to half gallon easily available (and maybe larger). They are glass rather than plastic (nothing to leech, hopefully).. you can see the contents.. they look cool... and they can be used for other purposes like cooking the contents. Definitely not the cheapest option.

In the refrigerator, I've used some glass containers where the lid is also glass and just sits on top. In the fridge there is basically no chance of them tipping over (and they are wide so don't anyway) and the lid is easier and faster to open than twisting a jar lid.