COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: COVID-19

Post by jacob »

@7wb5 - Agreed. The Wuhan lockdown was based on something like this except it focused on city blocks instead of age (retirement homes). Each block was cordoned off with strong traffic (transmission) control in and out. Reasonable traffic was free to flow inside a cordon. Once a cordon had been deemed virus free, it was allowed to join with a neighboring cordon. And so on. It's a bureaucratic way to chop up the various nodes and hubs of what is really a transmission network of social interaction (rather than a randomized uniform distribution of interactions). In so-called free countries, many do something similar in terms of families (only meeting family w/o masks and no others). Although that approach is way more leaky, it does slow things down relative to the restaurant-going free-for-all [viruses] approach.

Interestingly, around half of my thesis work was in building and using similar systems of coupled differential equations to track---to use epidemic verbiage---the transmission of protons between various nuclear isotopes (typically around 200 different ones) to calculate exactly how a fuel base of [mostly] hydrogen would blow up in various astrophysical settings. This included bottle necks, short cuts, different (temperature and density dependent) reaction rates (there were more than 2000), etc. Somewhat bigger than the three (3!) variables in the SIR model :geek:

I could reconstruct the underlying machinery for such a model but filling into the parameters (or "R(t) microphysics") w/o domain knowledge would be futile or involve way too many "armchair"-assumptions. That is where the tricky issues are. Anyhoo ... back in the early 2000s, such a model with 200 isotopes in each zone out of which I typically simulated 100 at a time (so tracking ~20,000 variables) could crank out solutions on what was a mid-high end computer at the time within a couple of days. Today, it would be entirely possible to do large scale min-max searches on a laptop. It's just the domain knowledge I'm missing.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@jacob:

You can do it! The domain is almost infinite if you consider stuff like effect of auto plants reopening vs. churches, average quality mask fabrics, level of air conditioned space usage, etc. Nobody can be an expert about everything in the world that could go into the model.

I will try to make a model too, but it will likely err on the side of flimsy, overly creative and semi-obnoxious.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

CS wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 am
And there is the irony. It is early days and your skepticism about the outcome, if widely held, will make it true.
It's interesting. I don't agree with the skepticism comment but the progression of this virus is impacted by the way human beings react. There may be other factors as well. The progression of a virus although a relative simple phenomena to model is not something that human beings yet have the ability to model with a high degree of accuracy. Can you imagine how hard it is to model something more complex ?

I don't believe that I'm too skeptical. If anything I have an appropriate amount of skepticism which enables me to understand the science better than people who have too much faith that scientists have the ability to model these type of phenomena. I definitely didn't fall for the idea that we were all doomed. I got that really early. I also didn't fall for the anti-lockdown arguments based on herd immunity. This may be true but it's not proven. It's interesting because I've listened to a lot of good scientists throughout this event and even good scientists with differing opinions to mine on how to manage this event. I've been completely cool with what they have stated even if I disagree with them because they have provided robust well thought out opinions. Note it's an opinion and not a fact.

If anything it's not skepticism. It's more a realistic understanding of science and in particular data. My career has been focused on data. I've seen heaps of predictions in my life and typically they are wrong. I can't actually think of any scientific predictions that have been right. It's very rare. People actually believe these models as if they are facts when they aren't. They are predictions of the future that can be used to discuss policy decisions.

So you can call that skepticism if you want too. I call it not being blindly naive. I think anyone who went for the alarmist approach doesn't understand science and we've seen that play out in real time.

I think I just don't see things in simplistic terms ala people that don't understand the reality of science, data, modelling and the concept of statistical significance.

CS

Post by CS »

bigato wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm
How bad would it have to get before you feel being alarmist is justified?
Good question. I am interested in the answer too.

learning

Post by learning »

@Jacob

Thank you for your very clear explanations about herd immunity in reply to JL13 a few pages back. For an astrophysicist you are very knowledgeable about epidemiology. Looking at the first few pages of this thread, you already knew this before this current pandemic started. Did you take a course in epidemiology? Would you recommend a textbook on something like Infectious Disease Epidemiology but not specifically the mathematics? Something for understanding thoroughly the basics, but especially herd immunity.

Have you looked at "overshoot" at all in relation to herd immunity? Is it true that once the herd immunity threshold is reached an estimated 33% of the remaining uninfected population is still infected? Clearly, this 33% would depend on many local variables. Do you know any sources that discuss overshoot in more detail?

@C40

IIRC, you are an American in Vietnam. Are you there on the 30 day eVisa? What are your plans for when you have to leave Vietnam? Are you planning to try to stay in pandemic-free countries? Which countries are you considering?

We are currently in Taiwan. We are looking at South Korea, Japan, Palau, New Zealand, and Australia. For our next country, we would need to have tickets into that country and out of it to another country that 1) would take us as Americans, and 2) has no or few active cases.

Have you looked at the process of going through quarantine in different countries? It seems that S Korea is now charging around 100USD/day for 14 days at a government facility.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Republican party has recruited 27 doctors willing to go on camera and say that the virus does not pose a threat to the average American as part of a push to fully open the economy. These doctors have been vetted to be fully supportive of President Trump.

Apparently the average American is not related to anyone in the at-risk group, does not know anyone in the at-risk group, does not interact with anyone in the at-risk group, and has no chance of becoming hospitalized with a subsequent medical bill.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

bigato wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm
How bad would it have to get before you feel being alarmist is justified?
The point is that alarmist is never justified. Alarmist implies a lack of understanding of science. Alarmists exaggerate the situation because they don't understand the science. We need to be cognizant of this bias within people and not be fooled when they state it's math or the science. They don't understand that math implies a certainty that doesn't exist within the science. We've seen this over the course of the progression of this pandemic.

So I'll rephrase your question into what I consider a more appropriate one. I'd state the question is more when and what action do we take. Ideally we manage these events prior to them becoming an issue. So there is a risk that needs to be managed and we need to assess the likelihood of the risk and it's potential impact. Then we take the appropriate mitigation steps. Ideally we take action on a world wide basis where required. I personally struggle with the idea that these concepts are difficult to some people but people appear to be pushing back on this idea. I don't see any logical or rational criticism.

Science and math can help in relation to the likelihood of an event occurring and it's potential impact. Science will do more harm here though when we have alarmists with a poor understanding of the science dominating these discussions. We have to have some methodolgy for getting rid of these alarmists. How when this virus started and people were stating it's an exponential growth and we are screwed do we ignore these people ? It's not easy right ? What if these people don't even recognize how wrong they got it and they come up with all sorts of excuses ? Is this a personality type or a cultural issue ? I don't have the answers here. It's more about developing a good philosophical basis to judge science. How do you develop that in people and especially scientists ?

In stating that if anything I'm more trusting of scientists now because I've heard/read so many good scientists throughout this pandemic. Sure some laypeople and scientists got it really wrong but maybe the focus shouldn't be on the alarmists.

I haven't spoken about the people who can't recognize a risk at all because your question to me comes from the opposite point of view. That is still an issue. We require calm rational constructive actions. I've seen so many politicians and leaders handle this situation as well as can be expected. Sure there have been some fools who just play politics but they've looked like fools as well.

I was pro the lockdowns and I still think that was the best option we could come up with based on our poor usage of risk management techniques prior to a pandemic situation developing. So the first point is ideally we already had a plan in place to handle this situation. We didn't so we should have erred on the side of caution and taken action. It think so far this assessment holds true. The countries that appear to have managed this best so far implemented lockdowns quickly but we need to asses this over time. I also think now is the time to relax the lock downs and it'll be interesting how this pandemic develops.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@learning - no one is allowed into NZ now unless they are a returning NZ citizen, and then its quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. I do not see that changing any time this year except maybe for people from the pacific islands or Australia and I doubt that will be until say September/October. I thought most other places had also closed their borders?

For the last week in NZ there have been 0 new cases of COVID19 except for one day when there was one new case. This is despite us having come out of lockdown a week ago. We are down to only 35 active cases now.

Bars are opening up tomorrow which I think is the last thing to open up. Although I think lots of them have been open dubiously already by offering chips on the menu. Although I think everyone has been pretty sensible. I don't see bars getting particularly busy in any event. Most city workers are not back at work yet and all working remotely. And we are at the beginning of winter after a stunning pretty much 8 months of summer. So I get the impression looking around that no one is that interested to go out. Except maybe the under 25yos.

There is contact tracing everywhere and sanitisation and social distancing measures. Most people I know are still working from home. As are most people in my office. By choice mostly.

Im pretty sure we will end up wiping it out completely. Hopefully. If things stay on their current trajectory.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

steveo73 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 am
Interesting. I think the alarmist models were extremely inaccurate. I'm pretty sure that Neal Ferguson contributed to this and he is a UK scientist. It was predicted that there would be 500k deaths in the UK. It's at about 35k now.
That was when the policy was to let the virus run through the community until we attained herd immunity. That was deemed politically unacceptable hence we started to lock things down.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

Some interesting information from Gregory Mankiw, professor of Economics at Harvard.

https://www.slideshare.net/KyawThiha28/ ... -chapter-1
Each one point increase in the unemployment rate is associated with:
920 more suicides
650 more homicides
4,000 more people admitted to state mental institutions
3,300 more people sent to state prisons
37,000 more deaths
Increases in domestic violence and homelessness
I believe this is US focused. US currently has north of 20% unemployment? If it's at 20% that could be translated into 771,400 avoidable deaths. Now for the majority on these forums this is nothing to be concerned with we all have savings to last varying amounts of time and skills to make more money in various ways if we need. If all lives matter, this should be a concern that gets little mention through out this mess.

Edited to include link to slideshow.
Last edited by BMF1102 on Wed May 20, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

These videos from a pulmonologist have been informative for me in understanding the blood clotting issues in COVID.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

3,300 more people sent to state prisons
I don't know about the US but in the UK crime has plummeted. We were planning to release prisoners early but abandoned that as the number of new arrivals has fallen steeply. The only crime that has got worse is domestic abuse.

This really isn't like a normal recession.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

@George the original one

Republican party has recruited 27 doctors willing to go on camera and say that [driving] does not pose a threat to the average American as part of a push to fully open the economy. These doctors have been vetted to be fully supportive of President Trump.

Apparently the average American is not related to [anyone else on the road], does not know anyone [else who drives or rides in vehicles], does not interact with anyone [who walks, rides a bike, or rides in a vehicle], and has no chance of [crashing and themselves] becoming hospitalized with a subsequent medical bill.

Not implying that vehicles are safe, or that the virus is only as dangerous as driving. Just pointing out that at all levels of life, we put others at risk in the matter of course of living our daily lives. It's not not explicitly talked about.

Even if you're just out for a Sunday drive, completely sober, driving the speed limit, you are putting others at risk. and if you're not traveling for something essential, you are needleessly putting others at risk. Costs > Benefits. However, you'd be a nutter to tell someone to not drive unless the trip were absolutely necessary for survival. This risk has been implicitly approved by social norms.

At some point, some level of virus spreading will be implicitly approved. You can't say it politically, but we can all pretend it isn't there when we know it is.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

learning wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:46 pm
Thank you for your very clear explanations about herd immunity in reply to JL13 a few pages back. For an astrophysicist you are very knowledgeable about epidemiology. Looking at the first few pages of this thread, you already knew this before this current pandemic started. Did you take a course in epidemiology? Would you recommend a textbook on something like Infectious Disease Epidemiology but not specifically the mathematics? Something for understanding thoroughly the basics, but especially herd immunity.

Have you looked at "overshoot" at all in relation to herd immunity? Is it true that once the herd immunity threshold is reached an estimated 33% of the remaining uninfected population is still infected? Clearly, this 33% would depend on many local variables. Do you know any sources that discuss overshoot in more detail?
No courses, but I did have a prior interest in infectious diseases (I seem to always pick the morbid hobbies) and I have read some books (I read a lot). Many of the epidemiological modelling techniques have overlap to previous works in physics and finance, so I have some (10+ years) experience in the strengths and weaknesses of such models. Where/when to apply them and where/when not to. How to modify, etc. Also means I can read professional papers and somewhat understand what they're doing. However, given no formal background, I lack domain knowledge. I suppose an analogy would be if you were fluent in the Java# programming language and saw a python program for the first time, you'd have a pretty good idea of what was going on and be able to learn it pretty fast, but you'd still have significant holes in your knowledge about specific and possibly important details. For example, I'm learning as we go along on the medical/diagnostics side which is pretty far away from my expertise.

I've mostly read popularized nonfiction (books with no equations) for the background + wiki pages and scientific papers for the details. Textbooks are murderously expensive (especially when buying them randomly trying to find a good one), so I don't have any good recommendations. The ones 7wb5 mentioned looked good, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. For a cheap and good intro, I did like https://www.amazon.com/Epidemiology-Sho ... 19954333X/

So to answer your question if I understand it correctly. The recent exchange with 7wb5 discusses this in some detail + the last reply to JL13. The (R0-1)/R0 solution presumes random uniform infection transmission, that is, everybody in the entire population can randomly infect everybody else. That is, of course, extremely simplifying (The very simplest model anyone can imagine). In reality, we don't meet randomly with people---although it's a good assumption in a restaurant(*). We meet some people (spouse, children) more than others (colleagues). Some we meet every now and then (friends, neighbors, gym buddies) and some we meet daily (colleagues). Some we practically never meet (most people living far away). But then again, there's a reason that 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon is a surprisingly fun game.

(*) Or is it? Not everybody goes to restaurants and frequent guests might know each other. Same thing with train commuters.

It still holds that in order to survive, the disease still has to tag >=1 new person before the infected person recovers or dies. However, one can imagine all kinds of ways that this would be possible in ways that actually exceed (R0-1)/R0. This is where domain knowledge becomes crucial. For example, an airborne disease is much closer to obeying a random assumption, especially if it travels far (measles) with a high R0. An oral-fecal disease like polio would be more likely to travel along the sewerage/water system and thus would be better described by network theory. Sexually transmitted diseases are even more selective---they'd resemble social networks. Think HIV in the early days. Or just think about how the dominant transmission mode of CV19 has changed from droplet (pre-lockdown) to fomite (surfaces) (where properly locked down) thus requiring a different model.

The proper model (is it random? is it a network?) therefore very much depends on the transmission mode. This requires domain knowledge to figure out.

But yes, even the random transmission model's herd immunity is only a threshold and in practice there will be some overshoot as soon as people at the threshold cluster just a little bit. A good example of this measles. In the US we're right around herd immunity for this, but clusters of anti-vaxxers are NOT random and so if the virus gets into those clusters, it will wash through the entire cluster. Another way of saying this is that assuming random => assuming social distancing (to everybody else in the population) is random as well---but it's clearly not. A model is only as good as its assumptions.

Advanced: A complex model can still be (and often is) "reduced" to a simpler model in order to communicate it better. This is done by fitting the simple model (for example the (R0-1)/R0 herd immunity) onto the results of the complex model. The reason this is done is that experts have a solid fundamental (they're mentally wired in) understanding of the simple models (like the randomized infection), so if a complex agent based model (that has no innate awareness of herd immunity) has the disease die out at 56% infected, experts will still talk about "herd immunity" as a short-hand for the more detailed result. It is similar to how we talk about "temperature" of something instead of talking about the velocity distribution of its microscopic constituents. This is useful as long as everybody is on the same page. But they're not if we (laymen) start thinking that that simplification is an accurate description of what experts are actually doing or the depth of their concerns.

WIRED has these great videos in which an expert explains something at five different levels (5th grader, teen, college student, grad student, and expert). It's cool to see the difference between how scientists talk to the general public (5th graders and teens), decision makers (teens and college students), and each other (grad students and experts). The parent-child and adult-adult interactions I was talking about earlier. Here's an example with CRISPR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sweN8d4_MUg I think this video (and the other ones in the series) illustrates how easy it is to Dunning Kruger oneself as a non-expert or even someone who has never taking a single course in the subject or took one a long time ago. It's for this reason that I prefer to focus on learning a [solid] framework for thinking about some problem and then build on that when learning about a new subject. Listening to various people (experts, journalists, twitter, medium posts, ...) and trying to make sense of what they're saying without having a framework to translate such information into knowledge makes one prone to misinformation or emphasizing the wrong things. Coherency and self-consistency is king for knowledge. In my case, I focused on learning the SIR model so I try to view information in the framework of that... and if something doesn't fit, I try to figure out why.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

JL13 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:46 am
At some point, some level of virus spreading will be implicitly approved. You can't say it politically, but we can all pretend it isn't there when we know it is.
I totally get that, but equating "the average American" to what is 2/3rds of the population relegates 1/3rd of the population to a lesser class and perpetuates the "Boomer Remover" stereotype. It is a Trumpism behavior, divide and conquer, that irritates the snot out of me :evil:

Right now the USA is #11 in the world for per capita COVID-19 deaths. Discounting San Marino and Andorra, we're #9. While we need to adapt to life with COVID-19, we shouldn't be trying to become #1 in this category, eh?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Anyone else being shown Sorry couldn't find that page.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Over the past few weeks, the death count in the US has exhibited a consistent pattern in which the count peaks midweek (typically Wednesday) and bottoms on the weekend (typically Sunday). Does anyone know if this is an artifact of laggy reporting of the numbers or whether it's a real effect?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Tuesdays and Wednesdays have the highest number of deaths from pneumonia and influenza normally, so it follows.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

But why is that?