COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
classical_Liberal

Re: COVID-19

Post by classical_Liberal »

theanimal wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 pm
those who are vulnerable to the disease aren't isolated from younger, possibly less vulnerable carriers.
Just because the gov't isn't mandating it (they are in most places in nursing homes/assisted living, at least to some degree), doesn't mean they aren't more likely to be self isolating. As a matter of fact, this is likely the reason more low risk people are now contracting the disease.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'm in agreement. However, not all less vulnerable people live independently of vulnerable people.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Things are not looking as rosey downunder as they once were.

We are having a steady stream of new virus in NZ every day. They are all so far cases at the border for people in quarantine. All NZers returning from overseas. As the cases grow overseas more people are bringing it here when they come back. So far there is no evidence of community transmission again. However there has been major border control cock up. 51 people were released early with no test. 2,400 people were released without a test (although only 51 were before the end of the quarantine period at least). Border control has been ramped up after the media got all over it. Im just hoping it has not resulted in community transmission again that we done know about it.

New cases in Australia seem to be growing at a higher rate in Australia again. Particularly in the state of Victoria where there seems to be issues with community transmission. It looks like any chance of a trans tasman bubble between NZ and Australia is unlikely to occur this year.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Boris is apparently going to open up travel to Spain, Italy and Greece and waive the 14 quarantine on return. I can understand the desire to salvage the holiday season but it seems very risky for all concerned. But in truth I'd love to get away sometime this year. Aeroplanes seem high risk, but maybe a road trip later in the year might be ok...

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

Is foreign travel any worse than travel within your home country. I suppose getting on a plane has some risks but if I drove onto the Eurotunnel to travel to France is that any different from visiting Cornwall.

My main concerns would be logistical, getting ill in a foreign country isn't much fun nor is getting stuck abroad if the borders shut down again.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Here in Alabama there is still a surge of sorts. On my weekly shopping trip the large majority of folks (80%-90%) still seem to be wearing masks and doing the right things. But I'm seeing more-and-more "selfies at the bar" type photos on FB, albeit mostly outdoor seating. No indication the powers that be are looking at rolling back any of the openings yet.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I'm not surprised people are ignoring any stay at home orders. It's hard to argue about being responsible and social distancing when weeks of doing the opposite was parading across the screen daily with all the riots.

The toothpaste is now out of the tube. We have now entered the Darwin Award stage.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Campitor wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:01 pm
I'm not surprised people are ignoring any stay at home orders. It's hard to argue about being responsible and social distancing when weeks of doing the opposite was parading across the screen daily with all the riots.
All the more reason to.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

chenda wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:04 pm
All the more reason to.
Agreed. But this is why Darwin Awards exist. We were told to stay home because of COVID. Then we were told protesting was worth the risk of COVID. This opened the door for all kinds of rationalizations for ignoring COVID best practice.

Those of us who knew better stayed home regardless the reasons for skirting quarantine and social distancing procedures. You can't blame the sheeple for acting like sheeple when media encourages sheepling.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Has anyone seen any indication of N95 masks becoming more widely available to the general public?

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

jacob wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:34 pm
Has anyone seen any indication of N95 masks becoming more widely available to the general public?
I've seen N95 masks (various models and prices) available on Amazon. Locally they are flying off the shelf but they are available if you happen to beat the crowd of shoppers. Everyone seems to know now when the mask shipments come in now.

Retraction: the Amazon masks are K95 and not N95.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

chenda wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm
Aeroplanes seem high risk
Airplanes are equipped with extremely efficient HEPA filters that filter the air every two minutes.
It’s closer to traveling in an open seated car than in a train.
Of course your own car is safer :)

Jason

Post by Jason »

"Boeing, you can breathe easier."

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Airplanes are equipped with extremely efficient HEPA filters that filter the air every two minutes.
Planes do filter the air. But some jets have very limited filtration. 737's filter as slow as 10 cu ft per minute. That's about 1/8 the speed of the typical bathroom fan, divided amongst the whole plane. And it all goes through the little ducted fan overhead. So if you want filtered air, open that nozzle all the way. But you will notice a drop in flow if everyone else does the same.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Thanks for the info

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

@jacob: https://accumed.com/n95-mask-for-sale-r ... sk-z1.html
https://cardomedical.com/product/3m-aura-1870-plus/

I purchased 20 from AccuMed, have not tried Cardo. Neither site inspires a ton of confidence. I did receive the 20 masks and don't think they're countfeit/defective, but I didn't test exhaustively.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Section 144 imposed by police commissioner of Mumbai.
It prohibits presence/movement of 1/more person/s in public place/gatherings between 9pm to 5 am for 15 days.
Local trains won't run until 12th August.

Lockdown in the state of Maharashtra extended upto 31st July.

National recovery rate at ~60%

FRx

Post by FRx »

The news media reports now are mostly about how there are clusters of increased infection rates in such and such community. It seems that the same sentiment is reflected in this thread.
Though it's media worthy, there is nothing unexpected nor significant from a clinical or public health perspective. As we ease restrictions the virus will spread a little faster among those who are susceptible.
Many will remain fairly resistant to "catching" it. Many will have very mild or non-existent symptoms. And very few will have serious consequences.

As for masks and handwashing, we have a hard enough time getting doctors and nurses to do it. It's a very tough culture shift, which means that it'll only be moderately effective.

The goals isn't to prevent the spread of the disease. That's not possible. So any argument towards that effect seems counterproductive based on the knowledge I have as a physician.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Good post @FRx!
FRx wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm
Many will remain fairly resistant to "catching" it. Many will have very mild or non-existent symptoms. And very few will have serious consequences.
Agreed
FRx wrote:
The goals isn't to prevent the spread of the disease. That's not possible..
Agreed, but maybe possible to "manage it", like you would a chronic health condition.
FRx wrote:
As for masks and handwashing, we have a hard enough time getting doctors and nurses to do it. It's a very tough culture shift, which means that it'll only be moderately effective.
Back to the chronic health condition analogy. It's much easier to get someone with HTN to take their ACEi or ARB than it is to get them to change their lifestyle via diet and exercise. Sadly, this is just the way it is. I look at masks and handwashing as similar solution to "taking your pill" on the public health front. I think people are much more open to a small change if they get to keep living their lives the way they want.

chenda

Post by chenda »

FRx wrote:
The goals isn't to prevent the spread of the disease. That's not possible. So any argument towards that effect seems counterproductive based on the knowledge I have as a physician.
Could you expand on this as my non-medical understanding is that this is exactly the whole point of the lockdown ?