Rob is growing and foraging 100% of his food for a year

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Jin+Guice

Re: Rob is growing and foraging 100% of his food for a year

Post by Jin+Guice » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 pm

@Frita: I think he has high social capital because of his personality and extroversion. He was a successful salesperson who ran his own marketing firm. I think the idealism helps too. He also just seems so fucking excited about everything he's doing.

I'm not sure dumpsterdiving and having swank gear (I think the implication is it's not from the dumpster?) is a contrast. I do see how it could be viewed as one. Is his extreme environmentalism at odds with having some new stuff? Maybe. Probably.

I would compare this to investing. At a certain point investing in corporate America/ Globe Corp. is at odds with extreme environmentalism. I think most of us agree it's at a much later point than your average environmentalist, but still...

I'm not sure if he says it about the new gear, but in a video about his house he does call himself out for using propane, which is "probably from fracking" which he does not support. I like that he admits he's not perfect too.

@7w5: Haha, I think most plans of this nature suffer from that problem when it comes to robustness.

@jacob: It's hard to beat you at your own game, but this is partially because you made the rules. One of your rules is that the life must "look normal to outsiders." I think Rob Greenfield could pass this, but his life wouldn't look as normal as yours. I *think* the tiny house he used for this food challenge was actually in someone else's backyard, however, I *think* that his San Diego tiny house was on his own property? If an RV counts as normal a tiny house does too?

You could also claim he's cheating because he is leveraging social capital, which some people feel is mooching. I really feel like he's dedicated himself to not mooching, but it still bends the rules.

I agree that challenges are kind of lame, though good for publicity. Adhering to predetermined absurd rules is probably not the best life system, but it can lead to some interesting insights if you are really dedicated.

I agree that this guy is a candidate for Wheaton level 8, which is why I was surprised he only had a 6 post thread with no fanfare.

I think he is unique in his high level of social capital and, I'm not quite sure how to say this, but, extreme personability coupled with not being a douche. I haven't seen the marriage of those two qualities in a FIRE or environmental "personality."

I also think he speaks to the "city problem" when it comes to extreme environmentalism and extreme frugality. He's operated in tiny homes in two different cities with seemingly no problem from the authorities.

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:34 pm

His San Diego tiny house was also located at someone else’s backyard, not his own. He was allowed to park it there in exchange for improving the place. He paid 950 dollars for that tiny house and when the time came to let it go, he auctioned it and the proceeds were used to build other tiny houses for homeless people. I probably watched every video he ever posted to youtube hahaha

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm

I don't think his use of social capital should be seen as cheating. The ability to share with others and maintain a beneficial relationship for both sides is not easy but can be done without feeling or being seen as a mooch. I believe I've said it before, but social capital can be a major base of one's ERE strategy yet it is the least discussed on here. Understandably so as most people on this board (including its dear leader JLF) identify as strong introverts. But perhaps something for others to look into. Learning to interact with others and build social capital is a skill in and of itself.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm

theanimal wrote:I don't think his use of social capital should be seen as cheating.
I agree, although I do think some forms of social capital could be seen as cheating, because in violation of the spirit of SWR or the notion of linkage between spending and energy burn. For instance, if you couch-surf on what would be an otherwise unoccupied couch and all parties are content with the exchange then not a "cheat", but if you take a 20 minute long "free" hot shower then that is kind of a "cheat" on money/energy link. If you also project your shelter expenses out into the future as $0 and include in SWR calculation then that may be a "cheat" unless you have good reason to believe that availability of your next couch surf is always going to be less than 24 hours away or you have at least a couple other options for shelter that would also be $0. I think Rob has his extremely low shelter expense pretty well nailed, because he is also fit/skilled enough to minimalist rough camp when not tiny housing.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm

I agree that his leveraging of social capital shouldn't be seen as cheating. It does make what he's doing a bit different than what we're doing though.

I realized that my early retirement strategy is stronger than I previously thought, because if I ever get tired of working and want to be totally lazy I could do something like what Rob did in San Diego.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm
For instance, if you couch-surf on what would be an otherwise unoccupied couch and all parties are content with the exchange then not a "cheat", but if you take a 20 minute long "free" hot shower then that is kind of a "cheat" on money/energy link. If you also project your shelter expenses out into the future as $0 and include in SWR calculation then that may be a "cheat" unless you have good reason to believe that availability of your next couch surf is always going to be less than 24 hours away or you have at least a couple other options for shelter that would also be $0.
Shout out to my 24 yr old self.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm
I think Rob has his extremely low shelter expense pretty well nailed, because he is also fit/skilled enough to minimalist rough camp when not tiny housing.
#Goalz

Lemur

Post by Lemur » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 pm

Frita wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm
@Lemur
I wasn’t saying that you equate being insured with health; rather, that seems to be a shift in the US. Depending on the state and one’s philosophy, self-insurance can be cost-effective. Like Rob, we no longer participate in the health insurance business.

Added for clarification: We do have auto, house, and umbrella insurance. I am not saying that I recommend other people drop their health insurance unless after careful consideration, they decide that is what’s best.
Of course. Why so defensive on my part...I was in some odd mood the other day after reading health insurance horror stories most of the morning lol.

What Rob is doing in regards to health insurance, of course I'm skeptical but then again I haven't done a deep dive yet into alternative strategies. All I've known is that my health insurance is tied to my employer and with all the horror stories I've read, my risk aversion is high. Add a child into the mix and my stance has become very resistant to the idea of self-insurance. I have reading to do in this area. OTOH...my hopes is that this system will change drastically - Has to happen through political action. I'm sure there are threads here on ERE that discuss the state of US health insurance; I shall poke around that.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:15 pm

I’ve decided that buying a 50x50 tiny house and convincing a friend to let me live on their property for chore help is as good a retirement plan as any.

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:11 pm

50 x 50 tiny house?