Basuragomi's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
mathiverse

Re: Basuragomi's journal

Post by mathiverse »

Thanks for the cheese curd recipe from earlier. Also I think the picture with the blueberry cream pie is AI generated.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

that was as much a piece of cake to guess as the thesis progress.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Ha, the thesis progress was more along the lines of "really wonky, a quarter done and probably won't stand up to close scrutiny but there's at least an outline." Good thing I'm not on any deadline to finish!

March 2024 update

Grinding away. I won a student design competition and a scholarship (that I didn't even apply for!) which when combined equal half a year's expenses. I also am now officially self-employed, paying myself a salary from the corporation.

I made more yogurt tub screened flowerpots to replace some of the old ones that broke due to squirrel shenanigans. I also finally consumed all of my old business cards while drawing portraits! The end of project portraits is in sight!

I have also had a lot of success with physiotherapy. Had some shoulder pain due to a wonky sleeping situation and after two years of it slowly healing I went to physio. 10 weeks of exercises later and it feels 99% healed. No more swearing every time I stretch.

I read Empire of Cotton recently and I think from the author's viewpoint, they would cast ERE as people re-peasantizing themselves and conventional FIRE as joining the bourgeosie. Which makes the perennial "what would happen if everyone did this?" question funny because that's already happened...

Food prices seem to be dropping lately but this homegrown beansprout salad I developed during the lockdowns is still a super-cheap staple for me.

Beansprout Salad

Ingredients

500g beansprouts, blanched, chilled and drained (2 minutes in boiling water then rinsed with cold water)
1 tbsp/15 ml gochujang
1 tsp/5 ml sugar or molasses
2 tsp/5 ml fish sauce (substitute with soy to make it vegan)
1 tsp/5 ml soy sauce (works fine with low sodium)
1 tsp/5 ml sesame oil
1 tsp/2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper (white or black)
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp/10 ml sesame seeds
1 green onion, chopped fine

Directions

- whisk together liquid ingredients, sugar, pepper and garlic, until oil and gochujang are well-mixed
- add beansprouts and toss to coat
- garnish with sesame seeds and green onion