China/Ukraine request

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
TimeTravel

Re: China/Ukraine request

Post by TimeTravel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 pm

A couple of Giuliani's associates got locked up for trying to cut business deal in Ukraine boasting of Trump ties.

Won't be long until Trump says he hardly even knows Giuliani. That Giuliani barely worked for him.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:46 am

The white-house wrote an interesting letter to high ranking Democrats.
As you know, you have designed and implemented your inquiry in a manner that violates fundamental fairness and constitutionally mandated due process.

For example, you have denied the President the right to cross-examine witnesses, to call witnesses, to receive transcripts of testimony, to have access to evidence, to have counsel present, and many other basic rights guaranteed to all Americans. You have conducted your proceedings in secret. You have violated civil liberties and the separation of powers by threatening Executive Branch officials, claiming that you will seek to punish those who exercise fundamental constitutional rights and prerogatives. All of this violates the Constitution, the rule of law, and every past precedent.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... hment.html

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 pm

TimeTravel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 pm
Won't be long until Trump says he hardly even knows Giuliani. That Giuliani barely worked for him.
Didn't take long, either, just one day!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-distances-himself-rudy-221157659.html wrote: Asked whether Giuliani remained his personal attorney, Trump said: “I don’t know.”
“I haven't spoken to Rudy,” Trump told reporters as he was leaving the White House for a political rally in Louisiana. “I spoke to him yesterday, briefly. He's a very good attorney and he has been my attorney, yeah sure.”

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 pm

George the original one wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 pm
Didn't take long, either, just one day!
Didn't we see a similar situation with Michael Cohen? Just saying.

One moment, Trump was quoted as saying "You'll have to check with Michael Cohen". Next moment, Trump was calling him a liar.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:03 am

It's just a matter of time before Rudy is taken out to the Rose Garden and shot in the head. It's a concession that Trump is going to have to make to the party to prevent further cracks. If you are going to continue to stand behind someone who many think is crazy in his own right, its becomes intolerable to allow someone even more certifiable to be the public face of his defense. It's like showing support for Ted Bundy while John Wayne Gacy defends him.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:19 am

TimeTravel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 pm
A couple of Giuliani's associates got locked up for trying to cut business deal in Ukraine boasting of Trump ties.

I thought I read they got nabbed for campaign finance violations (?).

Per "anonymous sources", RG allegedly being looked at for lobbying violations.

Neither of those get prosecuted very often I don't think. The timing relative to IG report and announcement that the Durham probe has expanded may or may not be a coincidence.

Regardless, RG seems like he's run off the rails recently. I thought bringing Trey Goudy on board was a tell that Trump senses a liability in the person of RG, but he's not thrown him under the bus so far. Maybe just a matter of time.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 am

I don't think Trump "plans" but if there are people around him who do, it makes sense to keep Rudy around in order to build a narrative that he was a rogue operative, that he was Leopold without Loeb. Therefore, if this whole situation or parts of this situation are ever determined on a legal basis, Trump can claim plausible deniability. If Trump is playing a long con on Rudy, or if Trump's advisors are playing a long con on Rudy or even if Rudy is a willful player in this narrative, Trump can issue a pardon at the end of it all, allowing Rudy to write his memoir "Batshit Crazy Like a Fox" and then slide seamlessly into his role as chief legal correspondent on The Trump Real News Network which we all know is fucking coming.

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 am

A minor thing in this that I have found curious is the continual reference to Giuliani's "Soviet-born" associates. Also known as basically everyone born in Eastern Europe, Russia, or parts of Central Asia who is older than 30. Watch out for the KGB agents.

I guess the point is to play up the Russia connection and Ukrainian-born and Belarussian-born sound random more than sinister.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:45 am