mooretrees journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Scott 2

Re: mooretrees journal

Post by Scott 2 »

If you just really love the kettlebell swing, there's a woman who made her it her entire niche:

https://www.giryastrength.com/tracy.html
https://www.youtube.com/@tracyreifkind3810/videos

We're talking entire workouts of kettlebell swings. I could never make that cut, but she thrived on it. She's married to a former Senior RKC instructor. Could be relevant to your interests.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Thanks Scott 2, is that the same lady that Tim
Ferris wrote about in his four hour body book? She looks familiar. I’ll check out her workouts.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Yes, that's the same person!

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

mooretrees wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:22 pm
I bucked up and went out anyway and tackled a hill that is really intimating and skied longer than I thought I would. Skiing without poles is very different and really showed me how much I rely on them for balance.
This is one of the main exercises that my partner has people do when she teaches people to ski. The poles should be secondary to your legs providing most of the forward motion and stabilization. This is true for classic, skating, or downhill.

I am really glad you are healed up, putting up all these workouts and overcoming the easy mode of sitting in the car reading. Get it!

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

@muntainfrugal, I did the no poles ski again....kind of a disaster. But, I'd done a strength training workout and was already tired. I fell a bunch and came pretty close to losing my sense of humor. However, I am still trying to do this for some portion of my ski sessions. I don't want to commit to a whole ski like this, because while I am trying to get better, it's not as fun as skiing without poles.

I'm working on two community projects; hosting a repair cafe in town and starting a local food eating challenge (for summer). The repair cafe is set for late April and is building on one the happened in our small town at the beginning of Covid. It'll be held at the local high school in their shop classroom. Most of the leg work to make it happen is easy as the woman who put it on last time is happy to help with connections and her previous experience. So, idea is that we advertise it (facebook, local newspaper and flyers around town) and have 7+ helpers with the following areas: small electronics, sewing, tool sharpening, phone/tablet set up, bike repair and small wooden furniture repair. They had good attendance last time so I'm hoping that repeats as well. I'm hoping to do this twice a year, spring and fall initially. Will report back as it happens.

Local food challenge:
This idea is nothing new, many people have done this and written books about it. I've read two so far, 100 Mile Diet by a Canadian couple who lived on local food for a year in Vancouver, and Coming Home by Gary Paul Nabhan. Both were well written and interesting. Both had the usual doom and gloom about why they didn't want to eat mass produced food. Gary's book was more lyrical and inspiring as he's been seriously into ethnobotany and indigenous foods for decades. He was clearly a foodie too, in that he was able to whip up delicious meals easily using unusual local ingredients on the fly. I'm in the middle of reading Blessing the Hand that Feeds Us by Vicki Robin. I started her book first but it got a little annoying as it is very close to a memoir with all the backstories. However, her book is shaping up to be possibly the most useful for planning my own local eating challenge. She's not a gardener on a big scale, so she's spending a lot of energy finding local food producers to connect with. Also, she's BIG on community, and that's where my focus is also. I'm still fleshing out the parameters of the challenge and figuring out what prep work to do.

Prep work I see includes updating a local farm guide put out years ago by a local non-profit. I reached out to that org in Dec but never heard back. Turns out that my local farmer friend did a lot of work on that guide years ago and put me in touch with the lady who spearheaded the project. We've talked and are putting feelers out to see what we can do to get some funding for doing an update. She 'owns' the guide so updating it should be fairly simple, contacting farmers and finding new producers. We'd like to get some one to pay for the printing costs and possibly some mileage for traveling to the farms. I'm tentatively excited that this will actually happen.

Things to figure out:
-what does local mean?
-how to get the word out? I'm not on social media and want to stay that way.
-how long to do it?

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver was also pretty good if you haven't read it. I read it a long time ago, so I don't remember how much doom and gloom was included, but there was also a good bit of humor and she enrolled her kids in the project. And she included some recipes for each season.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

@NewBlood, thanks for the reminder, I have read her book, and the second edition was even better.

General life:
Warmer weather is so close, the next week of low temperatures are all above freezing and we're seeing a day or two with highs close to 60F. All that means my mood is improving and life can be lived more comfortably outdoors. Also, beekeeping is starting to happen again. I think I was feeling some seasonal affect disorder + loneliness (slightly self-inflicted) that is starting to ease. I say self-inflicted because I have purposely avoided inviting people over to the bus as it's just not ready for visitors. It's generally still messy-due to almost nothing having a permanent place, and limited seating. But, it's getting easier to think of being outside and hanging with friends.

Health:
I'm learning about perimenopause. If you're not interesting in reading about this, skip to the next section. I generally don't feel there are any negatives to being a woman, for the most part I genuinely like being a woman. But, god-freakin'-damnit, there are some downsides to getting older-specifically as a woman. I can't comment on what's it's like for men, but for women there are some large downsides (if left untreated) to aging. I'm dealing with a few of the classic symptoms of perimenopause; night sweats, mood swings, and a change in body composition-more fat and less muscle. However, I'm not flying blind through this. I found a great book, Next Level by Dr (phd not md) Stacy Sims, that is providing me guidance and hope. Her life's work has been researching women specific hormonal changes as it relates to elite athletes. Her book is based only on studies of women, it's still shocking how much medical science is based on primarily men. Anyway, the main recommendations I'm starting to implement aren't that novel; lifting heavy shit, sprints and one supplement. She has nothing against hormone replacement, but I'm not there yet (I've talked with my gyno...).

I'm going to take maca for night sweats/sleeping, and mood shifts. I'll give it two months before I decide if it's been effective. I'm going to purchase another kettlebell, 18 pounds or 26 pounds, for one handed swings and keep using my 16 kg for two handed swings. I like the one handed swings for core work and the 15 pounder I have is too light. I'll incorporate some kind of short sprint twice a week, either running or some elliptical. Those three practices should help my body stimulate muscle growth and hopefully provide some of the benefits that I'm missing from my fluctuating estrogen/progesterone levels. I didn't realize that estrogen (estrodiol specifically was an anabolic hormone with MANY other benefits). It's shocking how little I've known about my body. When I was trying to get pregnant and now, have been big learning experiences about the specifics of my body.

Bus life:
We bought some Home Depot cabinets, butcher block counter top and a sink. DW had wanted to build the cabinets and the butcher block top but I couldn't deal with how long it would take hime to do those things. I'm not knocking him, it's just this bus needs to be more livable NOW.
We are using the prebuilt cabinets as a potentially temporary situation. If we don't like them or they start to break down, then he can build his own. He finished milling the wood for the ceiling and has installed almost 90% of it. It's a blue stain pine, and it looks awesome. The first two cabinets and the sink should go in next week. It's not easy living in a construction zone sometimes (totally self-inflicted so there's that). He's going to build the faucet from copper piping and install the foot pump plus the big container for storing water under the sink. Right now we have a five gallon container perched above our sink that is our water source. It will be nice to change it up.

ERE:
I've not felt very inspired by ERE and the forums lately. I think it was a little due to the SAD/loneliness I alluded to earlier and the feeling that we're not succeeding in the normal ways that are represented on the forum. I also differ from the norm in that I'm not really focused on money and we're a family. However, I'm also guilty of comparing and not taking ownership of my journey. I'm going to reread the ERE book and see about crafting a web of goals for me and one for the family. I also will try and post more as engagement is usually inspiring.

Beekeeping:
I've started a beekeeping group that is sorta working. Each meeting has at least three people and isn't getting any bigger. However, I'm meeting people and it's keeping me engaged in learning about bees. A newer beekeeper is going to come over to my hive this weekend so I can show her some basics, it's weird being the knowledgeable one! I'm going to purchase two nucs (miniature colonies) and actively try and catch some swarms this year. My mentor from the beekeeping class said I could keep coming to classes so I definitely will go to at least two. She's someone I want to spend more time with so it's worth the hour plus drive. I have one hive that has survived (so far!) the winter. I'm researching how to manage them as an older colony-might need to split them and order a queen? I also have a better handle on mite treatment which is absolutely critical to their survival. Beekeeping is not as easy as it used to be 30 years ago, but it's still so interesting that I'm going forward with it.

Next career/pursuit:
I've been helping my farmer friend and learning a bit about farming. I don't think I want to pursue it as a next career. I could see doing winter greens/veggies only as a potential side hustle. It's a clearly untapped market in my area and I have the potential access to greenhouses necessary to do this. I need to put together some numbers and see if my friend is interested in collaborating with me on this before I get too far in my daydreams. I'm wrapping up the candle making for the next few months, it's really a winter business for me. I'm happy with my progress in improving as a candle maker. I have ideas for how to make more money from candles going forward.

That's all folks.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

wrt lack of inspiration with ERE/the forum: Sometimes reading the instruction manual gets old, even if the implications of what you can do by following the instructions are enticing. I've been having a possibly similar experience lately. I think what's going on with me is pointing at a need to take my understanding of the instructions and apply them to further domains - e.g. adjust the balance of my attention towards integrating the journey I'm attempting to self-author with multiple ideas, dreams, desires, possibilities, etc, tied together by the thread of the ERE instruction set. (Not sure if that made even a bit of sense?)

For me it feels cyclic. Spending time on explicit ERE stuff starts to lose its luster, and I'll be motivated and stoked to spend time on specific areas of ambition or activity. Then at some point I'll sense some inefficiencies, tensions, heterotelicities, whatever, that I don't know how to resolve, and that'll bring my attention back to the Manual (and the community of instruction manual nerds who can help me out). There's some amount of natural back and forth waxing and waning of stoke to be immersed in explicitly ERE stuff, as the ERE praxis becomes more and more baked into our lives and becomes just normal.

Also, I'm noticing an across-the-board improvement in my mood now that it's close to barefoot weather here. Winters like this one were hard for folk in unfinished tiny living spaces.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Thanks @AxelHeyst, it's good to recognize the cyclical nature of ERE, I appreciate that insight. I've been a bit too focused on the negatives of life lately and that's just not helpful nor is it my normal state of mind. I'm going to attempt to fishbone and web o'goals myself into deeper reflections on our particular journey of ERE. That should provide some fodder for what's next and reduce the comparisons to single men nailing it left and right on the forums. I hope anyway!

Yah, it was apparent recently when we had a really sunny period how much my mood immediately elevated! I can't wait for barefoot walking weather, so glad you've got it!

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Heh, I find myself comparing my journey to those of some of the ERE families (yours, the animals..) and I'm like man, I got nothing going on AND I'm doing this on easy mode, wtf. (And I guarantee you there's more nailing going on in your life than mine rn. :lol: )

Looking forward to hearing about your evolving wog'ing!

shaz

Post by shaz »

Congratulations on making it through the winter in the bus construction zone! By late winter I always hate wherever I am living; I imagine living in construction would make that feeling so much worse.

How is your son adapting to the bus life?

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

mooretrees wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:34 am
@NewBlood, thanks for the reminder, I have read her book, and the second edition was even better.
Good to know! I might have to read the 2d edition then. It's been a long time.

For the candles, does all the wax come from your own beekeeping?

I hope you stay inspired here, I always love reading your updates.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Re Health: I too feel like I learned so much about my body during pregnancy that I just had no idea about before! I haven’t thought much about menopause/perimenopause even though it’s probably just a few years out. I hope your lifting/sprinting routine and maca give you the results you are looking for!

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

shaz wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:00 pm
Congratulations on making it through the winter in the bus construction zone! By late winter I always hate wherever I am living; I imagine living in construction would make that feeling so much worse.

How is your son adapting to the bus life?
My son is doing great with bus life. He had some adjustment struggles that manifested as persistent bed wetting. That seems to have tapered off which is so good as laundry is a pain in the bus. He is a very agreeable kid and with warmer weather is spending more time outside doing digging, throwing shit and generally being a kid.

It’s good to hear that winter can be hard in traditional homes! Hope you can get more time with your horses.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

NewBlood wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:57 am
Good to know! I might have to read the 2d edition then. It's been a long time.

For the candles, does all the wax come from your own beekeeping?

I hope you stay inspired here, I always love reading your updates.
Thanks!

The wax comes from a commercial beekeeper that is my mentor, just a great human too. She gave me an excellent price on wax and is a huge positive force in the state beekeeping world so I’m really happy to buy her wax. This year I hope to find more local beekeepers to buy wax from and get some of my own wax too. That will be very special if I can make a few candles just with my wax.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I was in the hot seat for my MMG this morning. I decided that my focus for this session would be our family's short term plan for our life. I jotted down some notes and suggestions and am using this journal entry to organize my thoughts. As always, these folks bring curiosity, great thoughts and a genuine interest in the "problem" at hand. The ongoing interactions from this group are a source of big inspiration and welcome challenge for me. Plus they're just cool ass people.

So, the backstory. DH and I are not big planners, but we have managed to pull off some plans over the last ten or so years together. We bought a house, paid off a LOT of debt, got out of a house and into a school bus. I've been feeling bored at work and daydreaming about what I could do next. It's sometimes hard to go to work with a big pile of money that I know I could live on for several years. I've definitely quit a job with no other prospects with less money in the bank. Buuuuut, I'm older and there's three of us now. So, I want a plan for the next bit of time that either keeps me engaged at work for a purpose, or provides an exit strategy for this job that still takes care of my family in a responsible manner.

In no particular order here are some of my notes:
D: two types of planning, sequential and contingency. Both are important and quite different. Don't avoid big plans, even if it seems unclear how they'll come about. Think it through by breaking it down to smaller steps.
T: spend time brainstorming, not overly focused on the how-to achieve goals, just get a 'landscape of ideas'. Think through how plans fail and why they do and how to avoid that failure. I definitely think the bus life is not a long term reality, so that's one area that is a known unknown-is that the right way to say that???
-shift my overton window - this is something I need to do ASAP. I've been spending too much time with middle class parents and they're so fucking conventional it's draining my creativity. Does my kid really need to be in swim lessons, sports lessons, music lessons and have a full summer of camps planned out????!!!! I need new friends.
M: work with DH's style of planning and draw out what he's thinking about for the future. He's currently daydreaming about buying land and having a million different animals.

Ok, so my initial thoughts after this meeting are to lay the groundwork for ongoing conversations with DH about our future. I will definitely stay at this job if I have a short term goal that working allows us to achieve. But, I need motivation to do so. Plus, I can not do this job for five more years so contingency planning is a must for the next iteration of job/career needs to happen soonish.
I've been working on figuring out how to do a web of goals from Chapter 5 of THE BOOK. That's what has spurned this interest in planning. That and we're happy with bus life so we can look ahead. I'll continue to work on my web of goals and think about strategy with different end goals.

Concrete next steps:
1. fishbone the following activities for the web of goals project
-beekeeping, foraging, Nordic skiing, skoolie life, exercise/training, family, volunteering, MMG, gardening, nut tree project, lab job, candle business, coffee business, and grant writing job.
2. Schedule conversation time with DH for ideas about the future, not a one time meeting but we have to start somewhere
3. Contingency plan for leaving skoolie life in five + years
4. Contingency plan for leaving this job via a 'leave of absence' in the next year probably to involve a big motorcycle trip to Alaska.
5. Do some thinking about fear of leaving this job
6. Pursue weirdos in real life, they must have kids.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

One of the questions from this forum that has stuck with me and helped create more outside the box ideas in discussions with Mrs. Animal and others is if something like "If money was a solved problem, what would you do?" Not an easy question to answer! But in my experience it can be helpful to remove what we think to be constraints, think of new ideas, then figure out how to solve the constraint. Not vice versa. I look forward to seeing what you 3 come up with.
mooretrees wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:01 am
4. Contingency plan for leaving this job via a 'leave of absence' in the next year probably to involve a big motorcycle trip to Alaska.
Hell ya!

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Integration with potentially conflicting priorities! I hope you will share your notes on process as well as what you all decide on while iterating on the WOG.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

@theanimal, that's a great way to generate novel ways of thinking and in alignment with one of the suggestions of the MMG. Yah, if we make it to Alaska I definitely want to try and see you and your family!

@mountainFrugal...well here goes!

Web o'goals work to date:
I've done four fishbones (or are they reverse???) for beekeeping, foraging, my current job, and traveling in the skoolie. A few goals (first order effects, right?) that keep cropping are: learning, community and fun. So far it's clear that beekeeping, foraging are keepers. My current job has two positives, money and friends at work. The negatives far outweigh the positives. I can see those friends outside of work, so that's not even a true benefit.

I wrote a number of questions down for DW and took him out for ice cream this afternoon. I consider the conversation part one of many talks. We primarily talked about the timing and planning of our motorcycle trip to Alaska. The reason I focused on this is because it feels like a natural reason to leave, either permanently or temporarily, my current job. There are some logistics to figure out with a trip like this. Before we get too far down the road of planning this trip, I need a lot of hours on a motorcycle to see if I can really do it. This is a long time dream of DH's so I'm highly motivated to learn. I'll be signing up for a motorcycle class in May, hopefully.

Sorta out of the blue I had an informal interview for a part time grant writing position. I went to a local community meeting to talk housing and met a developer that works on low income housing for rural areas and the funding primarily comes from grants from the state. I am interested, though I will not be quitting my current job to take this one-if I'm offered it. I need to update my resume and talk again with them, do some research about their organization and who they are as people. It's very interesting to look at a new job, especially having spent a lot of time on these forums. The money wouldn't be as good, but there's a possibility of a bonus that could get the hourly wage up to what I'm used to. However, it's more interesting to think about what skills I'd be learning. I am intimidated to both prepare to leave this comfortable job AND learn a new field. But, those are both temporary feelings.

DH and talked about what learning about grant writing could do for our lives. We did some day dreaming that was exciting and a little scary. It's funny, but the thoughts of leaving this current job are bringing back up my middle class status bullshit thoughts. One of the negatives with my current job is how much status I get out of it. I regard that as a leftover middle class burden. I should pick up Status Anxiety again I think.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Popping in to say that I just listened to the two part podcast you did with Tyler while on the bus yesterday. Really enjoyed learning about your background and current adventures! Hope our paths cross in the future.

PS - I need to read through your journal to learn how you got into beekeeping, the Orchard we're restoring this summer would be the absolute perfect place for a hive if I can figure out how to make it work/not being there for 6+ months of the year (cold months).