Sam Harris - Idiot?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Jason

Re: Sam Harris - Idiot?

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm

I remember Hitchens saying around the time of his death, when he was bald, ravaged and withering (and I paraphrase): "I'm thinking of converting to Christianity in order that when I die there will be one less believer in the world." You have to admire such commitment.

chenda

Post by chenda » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am

Hitchins was a good showman with a quick mind but imo it covered up religions critiques which were mediocre at best. He wasted his talents on a producing a lot of well written nonsense.

Interestingly his brother, a right wing Daily Mail journalist, has become a practicing Christian after seeing a vision of the hellfires. He's a written a book called The Rage Against God. I don't think the brothers got along too well.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 am

When arguing against religion, specifically Christianity, I got the idea that Hitchens needed it to not be true more than he believed it to not be true. I have a two-cent opinion why but it's just speculation. It just seemed very personal to him. He admitted during the debate that he never heard of the Christian understanding of the noetic effects of sin which was surprising in that its a pretty significant issue. That being said, I wouldn't want to stand him down. His need and failure to receive Gore Vidal's mantel was kind of pathetic. That being said, the guy could be a beast, like he was on Kissinger.

chenda

Post by chenda » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 am

@jason Agreed. The idea of New Atheism as fulfilling people's religious needs seems quite plausible. The notion of no god or afterlife might be reassuring for some.

I see Dawkin's crew have actually designed a symbol which you can wear, presumably in lieu of a cross or the shahada, to show the world you are saved from religion. It makes me laugh. There must be a business opportunity for selling busts of Dawkins for the new atheists to do their daily puja to. (Can you copyright a head ?) I think this actually happened to Epicurus in ancient times.

That said, I do enjoy listening to them and finding faults in their arguments. It's strengthened my religious beliefs.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am

As they say, removing belief in God does not mean you now believe in nothing, it means you will now believe in anything. Power abhors a vacuum so some ultimate commitment will take its place.

In watching Hitchens last appearances, he remained militantly opposed to providing himself any type of comfort except to acknowledge that he was a random, insignificant, element of the universe. His response to the question did he ever ask "why" he got cancer, was "the real question is to ask why not." He stayed true to his beliefs, but it was very painful to watch, at least for me.