List of essentials

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
Redo

List of essentials

Post by Redo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi,

I'm one of those people who always buys the cheapest things I can find, but I'm tired of buying shoes and earbuds every 6 months, so I'm interested in investing in products/tools/clothes etc that will last me for decades. I know absolutely nothing about whether some things are overpriced because of the brand name or the quality, so I'm looking for suggestions.

So far from what I've read:
Boots: Hanwag
Shoes:?
Pocket knife: Sebenza
Clothes: Filson, Barbour, Burberry
Winter clothes (coat, gloves): How is Canada Goose?
Blender: Vitamix
Pressure cooker: Kuhn Rikon
Pens: ?
Earphones: ?
Computer: ?
Tools: ?
Bicycle: ?
Water filter: ?
Light bulbs: ?
Silverware/dishware/kitchen appliances and utensils: ?
Things I forgot: ?

Thanks.

prognastat

Re: List of essentials

Post by prognastat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:09 pm

For the pressure cooker so far myself I've preferred an instant pot over getting a pressure cooker. It's possible the Instant Pot is going to be less durable than something like a dedicated pressure cooker(fewer parts that can break etc) however I like the programmability and I suspect with the built in element rather than sitting on the stove it would be a little more energy efficient.

Shoes I have some old chucks I use while in the gym, but I wear my boots for everything else.

For clothing so far I've liked the unbranded jeans. They're a little pricier so I have them on price watch on amazon and I get them while they're on sale. So far they seem to hold up pretty well with the heavier duty denim. For on top I mostly wear t-shirts and I don't really have a brand since I simply have far too many anyway that have been gifted to me for birthdays and Christmas(enough to last me for decades probably).

For dishware one thing I like is those large thick mugs, they can be used for hot beverages or as a bowl for things such as soup/noodles or to cook scrambled eggs in using a microwave. Very versatile. Most dishware if cared for generally lasts a long time, even the cheap stuff.
Last edited by prognastat on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

@ OP,

Search BIFL, or Buy It For Life, to see where this has come up here before. This has been discussed a few times, and each thread has many good suggestions.

Redo

Post by Redo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks guys. I knew there had to be some sort of discussion about this, didn't know it was called BIFL. I'll check it out.

Sclass

Post by Sclass » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Hey,

I bought an instant pot during Black Friday week. $60. I avoided it in the past because it was kind of trendy and expensive. But I have to say I’m very impressed with it. I think I’ll be making a lot of my meals in it going forward if it doesn’t break.

Thought of you folks when I made some pea soup. I plan on making lentils. Cooks a lot faster than conventional or crock pot. Takes all the guesswork out of pressure cooking.

Made a wonderful pot roast with celery last night. Made the tough beef really tender in less than two hours.