7Wannabe5-Take 5

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

Re: 7Wannabe5-Take 5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Jason:

:lol . I think a good deal of my life could be written up as likely to be short-run sit-com.

More serious note would be that I was kind of surprised that there were still very few girls in an engineering lab class I taught at a big affluent high school recently. Only 5 out of around 75. Really a shame because they had state of the art resources on which the district had clearly spent a good deal of money. A new study once again confirmed that girls can do math as well as boys, but I have to note that some of the more applied classes are still geared towards more stereotypical masculine interests, such as muscle car design. I remember feeling hopelessly out of my element in an applied physics lab, because I had no clue about car mechanics. Really not necessary. I mean, you could apply physics to floral design in a class laboratory setting if you were creative.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:23 pm
I decided to get certified to teach at higher pay grade rather than moving forward with data science because more in alignment with my values system, more relevant experience under my belt, and, of course, summers off.
Not that my opinion matters, but I think you made a good call on this. If it makes sense, don't be afraid to job hop to get a higher salary once you are established. Also, look online for teacher salary information in your state. It seems like most states have a public file with this data. It might be called "staff" data rather than teacher data. You may find that some districts pay much more than others. You might also be able to get more money by teaching in an area where there not enough teachers, though I suspect you are already doing that by teaching math. Good luck!

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Really proud of you!

Why not use some of those amazing brain cells that you inherited to feather your own nest...you deserve it.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Not that my opinion matters, but I think you made a good call on this.
Me, too. It makes sense to leverage your current assets to build up your nest egg, and you can do other things around it, too. From what I’ve heard, teachers get some pretty sweet pensions, too.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

GdP wrote: I think you made a good call on this.
EdithKeeler wrote:Me, too.
Yeah, it was kind of a no-brainer decision once I learned that I could do it without having to spend the time and money necessary to complete the entire traditional teaching curriculum. The option has only been available for a couple years because Michigan has fairly strict standards. I will have to teach for 3 years under some degree of supervision in order to earn full credentials.

1taskaday wrote:Really proud of you!

Why not use some of those amazing brain cells that you inherited to feather your own nest...you deserve it.
Thanks! Since I am kind of obsessed with the notion of embodied language, I was considering the many possible interpretations of the metaphor "feather your own nest." Seems appropriate any way I consider it since it is my rough plan to purchase some land on which I can park a camper/build a cottage without the zoning code hassle I suffered in my last attempt. And, it is also my plan that it will be "my own", because I much prefer dating grouchy old men to living with grouchy old men. When I successfully complete the cottage acquisition/build part of my plan, I hope that the members of my forum support group will firmly remind me that my rule will be "One Night Only!" for any/all grouchy old man sleepovers. OTOH, I will be allowed to visit them on their turf for as long as I like, which will obviously be only within the Venn diagram intersection area of "Hawt Sex or other Treats/Adventures Offered" and NOT "Grouchy."

RFS

Post by RFS »

Congrats, 7w5! I'm also a teacher that got certified through the alternative pathway. Teaching math, you will have 0 problem finding work anywhere in the USA.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@RFS:

Good to hear. I am also hoping that math endorsement will serve to insulate me a bit from administrative oversight and the most squirrelly kids. My preference would be school or district where I am the only teacher available for the pre-calculus crowd.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Congrats on passing!

Frita

Post by Frita »

Yippee, I am really happy for you! Having to take multiple tests to transfer my certifications out of state 25 years after college, I learned those tests at our age are stressful. Following the next steps in your adventure...